Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it dead yet?

Comments

• OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105

Oh and the talent behind EQN already bounced if I'm not mistaken.  So whatever state it was left in, they now have to train and bring a whole new group of people up to speed on it, and then have those people bring it to market. 

^^^^this

the investers need the develoupers. Talent are hopping corperations to the highest bidder. Thats human truth.

if they can get the DEVs to sit still, lay off the weed for a spell, this stuff may bear some fruit <3

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Daffid011 said:
    Dead? Unlikely, all investment status' show as "completed." So it's been funded. Landmark getting some updates soon, maybe some more info to follow that. No news is good news?

what talking about?  this isn't a Kickstarter looking for funding.  Landmark is dead and very good indicator of the teams ability to develop, or not as is the case.

No news isn't good news either.  I cant think of any example where a game in development (8 years) and the developer stopped talking about it, has ever ended in "good news".
    No, it's certainly not a kickstarter of course... But you do know that investors post status' for what they put their money into yeah? Sift through the columbus nova investment listings... Can't get a direct link right now, on tablet.
    Interesting. The view I have expressed a few times before is that 1. If CN had wanted to cancel EQN they would have done so when they took over and laid off a bunch of staff - what's a few more 2. they set a "fully funded budget" to complete development of EQN.

That said I'm not sure I would be as positive. We had "2015 is the year of EQN" speech.  And that sounded right - plan to push something out by end-2015, allow a couple of months contingency for slippages and you get takeover + 1 year. An annual budget; fully funded - almost certainly based on over optimistic estimates. The big question: what happens when the money runs out and the game still hasn't released. Clearly 2015 has been and gone but what state is the "fully" funded invesment in.

Good find. And obviously if you find the link people can add that to the paucity of info available.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    The year of Everquest where we had a couple screens, couple shot videos and no update since. That was an amazing year! I love EQ1 and 2 but I have no faith in Next. Now don't get me wrong I will play it should it every release BUT with how everything has unfolded.. I don't think it will happen. Here to hoping I am wrong!
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Dead AF.
  • HowzrHowzr Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Definitely dead as we knew it. I suspect they're working on a relaunch with a lot of the sandboxy and emergent features they had originally planned stripped away. The world will probably stay voxel-based, with some randomly spawning dungeons and resources for gathering and the claim/housing system will probably be there in some really overly monetized form, but the emergent quest content will definitely be replaced with static level questing and the AI will be the simple scripted stuff we see in every other MMO. They will more than likely change the name to something else, probably EQ something or rather, but not EQ3--it wont be similar enough to traditional EQ to make a main franchise installment, and EQN was already defined by the original concept and hype and the subsequent blackout that left us all soured to what we actually got (Landmark).

All of those things aside, the game will feature a really intense, overbearing cash shop orientation with a very aggressive monetization strategy that leaves players that spend a lot wanting even more, players that spend a little still way out of the loop, and F2P players frustrated and confused. I'd be surprised if they offer it in their Daybreak Platinum/All Access sub, or any sub at all for that matter.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well as i said in the past 50 posts,just pay attention to how SOE and now DB operates.

Look at how quickly they pop out information on H1Z1,all they had was a split in trying to rehash interest in the game and they thought that was newsworthy lol.
    So yeah if they had ANYTHING on Next we would hear about it.This team has never been shy about hyping up or sharing information if anything they have always been TOO fast to divulge information.

As i said before,this "NEXT" is a side project,an in between phases game that when they have some spare time they will put some work in on it.DBG interest clearly lies on instant cash grabs,the well has run dry and that is why they try and rehash interest in H1Z1,i doubt their minimal effort will make them enough money to matter.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I would expect some new VERY cheap game will pop up to try and get some more cash flow going.
    I don't know how much interest they actually have over any of their games,PS2 is long overdue but i doubt they see an investment there as too profitable.

SO what they have up their sleeve is anyone's guess,perhaps a moba or mobile game i would expect.A Moba does not seem a viable market right now so i am guessing we see a mobile game pop up before anything else.This team had an absolute gem of a TCG if they only CARED about their products and ran it right and marketed properly and fixed it properly,so yeah cared about their product.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Its not even alive i would call it undead lol
  • Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    No news on Everquest Next I imagine. I haven't heard anything. I guess its a dead game.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited February 2016
    Nayr752 said:
    No news on Everquest Next I imagine. I haven't heard anything. I guess its a dead game.
    You haven't heard anything because Daybreak is enforcing a "it's not ready, don't talk about it" policies now on their devs which usually result in devs stopping to talk with the communities to avoid breaking the rule (aka they all went silent). See this twitter thread.

update

I just found out that Voxel Farm put up a new video early February for their Voxel engine which is used in EQNext/Landmark. Seems like Daybreak didn't tell them to not talk about stuff. The video shows a new tech optimization using a Qeynos Worshop contest winner building.
    Post edited by azarhal on
  • HowzrHowzr Member UncommonPosts: 43
    azarhal said:
    Nayr752 said:
    You haven't heard anything because Daybreak is enforcing a "it's not ready, don't talk about it" policies now on their devs which usually result in devs stopping to talk with the communities to avoid breaking the rule (aka they all went silent). See this twitter thread.

update

I just found out that Voxel Farm put up a new video early February for their Voxel engine which is used in EQNext/Landmark. Seems like Daybreak didn't tell them to not talk about stuff. The video shows a new tech optimization using a Qeynos Worshop contest winner building.
    That's not really proof that they're working on stuff. It doesn't show anything we haven't already seen, doesn't present it within an EQN related context, and besides all that it's from Landmark anyways, which they are still sort of talking about and updating.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Good ideas...

They never got the chance to finish them..

To bad, because only a playercreated world with playercreated content and stories can give MMo players a game with a neverending flood of content..

Why not finish this engine, combine it with neverwinters Foundry and add to that..
    Players can be great developers, work for next to nothing or even nothing, and have helped many a game that allowed them to mod and add some great content.  I'm really surprised more games don't let them do their thing.  All Devs would have to do is review, suggest changes, then push to live, lots of new content.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Howzr said:
    azarhal said:
    Nayr752 said:

update

That's not really proof that they're working on stuff. It doesn't show anything we haven't already seen, doesn't present it within an EQN related context, and besides all that it's from Landmark anyways, which they are still sort of talking about and updating.
    The Qeynos buildings were made for EQNext. Landmark was only used to build them, they aren't part of that game. Why people ignore the purpose of the Workshops is reaching denials levels at this point.

Daybreak has no reasons to spend money on a contractor for optimizing the Qeynos buildings to make a town of them (even mentioned in the video) unless they are still working on EQNext.
  • Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    azarhal said:
    The Qeynos buildings were made for EQNext. Landmark was only used to build them, they aren't part of that game. Why people ignore the purpose of the Workshops is reaching denials levels at this point.

Daybreak has no reasons to spend money on a contractor for optimizing the Qeynos buildings to make a town of them (even mentioned in the video) unless they are still working on EQNext.

Thatis a video using models that were not made by Daybreak in an engine not made by Daybreak aimed at gaining new customers that are not Daybreak.  Nothing in that video shows any progress or work being done on EQN or was paid to be done by Daybreak.  Voxelfarm, yes, EQN/Daybreak no.

• SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    edited February 2016
    https://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/471svs/there_is_something_in_the_air/

Apparently some youtubers have been approached by DBG regarding EQN. They are under NDA but rumour is that they recieved a 'lite beta' version and have been playing it or they have DBG approved videos to show while they talk about EQN. Also in Pentapod's last stream its sighted an EQN launcher from her desktop. not to mention theres this: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2WvDa

*Edit Its probably a demo not lite beta
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    By all means continue this thread because feelings matter. Uh huh.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    By all means continue this thread because feelings matter. Uh huh.
    Meh, let them be blind and ignorant all they want to. Landmark gets a huge update soon, if that isn't proof enough that something is being worked on. Not too mention the nearly daily, and at least weekly updates by the staff of Daybreak on twitter on progress and contests for creating the world and props for EQN.

When you talk about the development of a game of this sheer size alone, it's not an overnight process. Even with the advanced tools they have compared to us building stuff in Landmark (Though as mentioned we are getting a whole let better tools very soon ™), that's a lot to build, and on top of that, a lot to quality check.

On another note, Georgeson being the main man on the idea of active communication has been gone since they've gone quiet, it's a bit understandable that the only promoting such communication being gone that they aren't as talkative. Even when they were SOE, other than Fanfaire they didn't talk to much about stuff in the works.

Daybreak isn't going anywhere, the games they do have active are very much still thriving (EQ/EQ2 progression servers are loaded with people of all levels even.). All of the games are getting frequent updates -- still -- and even a huge list of expansions for each one that's releasing this year alone.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    The body is still walking around but the soul fled long ago. Let it rest in piece and just torch it to kill whatever foul magic is keeping it animated.
    (1) Meh, let them be blind and ignorant all they want to. Landmark gets a huge update soon, if that isn't proof enough that something is being worked on. Not too mention the nearly daily, and at least weekly updates by the staff of Daybreak on twitter on progress and contests for creating the world and props for EQN.

(2) When you talk about the development of a game of this sheer size alone, it's not an overnight process. Even with the advanced tools they have compared to us building stuff in Landmark (Though as mentioned we are getting a whole let better tools very soon ™), that's a lot to build, and on top of that, a lot to quality check.

(3) On another note, Georgeson being the main man on the idea of active communication has been gone since they've gone quiet, it's a bit understandable that the only promoting such communication being gone that they aren't as talkative. Even when they were SOE, other than Fanfaire they didn't talk to much about stuff in the works.

(4) Daybreak isn't going anywhere, the games they do have active are very much still thriving (EQ/EQ2 progression servers are loaded with people of all levels even.). All of the games are getting frequent updates -- still -- and even a huge list of expansions for each one that's releasing this year alone.

(1) What does a patch for Landmark prove about EQN development?  That "something" is happening?  Not that SOE/Daybreak has been promising huge things for Landmark for years, but with the population of the game being less than a few hundred people, I wouldn't hold my breath.

(2) EQN has been in development for close to 8 years now.  Lets not pretend it is so much bigger or harder than others games to the point it makes the team incapable of showing or talking about anything.  There was a time these guys couldn't shut about this game, especially about the core features that were going to make EQN special.  It has been well over a year since the team has shown anything other than concept art and a new character model. Think about that.  The lack of development being shown has been around a long time now.

(3) Daybreak didn't confirm their silence until long after Dave Georgeson was gone.  They didn't seem to have any problems to continue to hype EQN until a couple months ago. 

(4) I'm not sure I would call any of Daybreaks games as thriving as you put it.  I can't think of one that hasn't already peaked and into decline.

edited February 2016
    Daffid011 said:
    azarhal said:

Thatis a video using models that were not made by Daybreak in an engine not made by Daybreak aimed at gaining new customers that are not Daybreak.  Nothing in that video shows any progress or work being done on EQN or was paid to be done by Daybreak.  Voxelfarm, yes, EQN/Daybreak no.

The models in the Voxelfarm video I linked belongs to Daybreak per the Workshop rules, they do not belong to Voxelfarm. The big tower at 1:43 was LadyAstrum winning entry for the Qyenos Workshop.
    Post edited by azarhal on
    azarhal said:
    The models in the Voxelfarm video I linked belongs to Daybreak per the Workshop rules, they do not belong to Voxelfarm. The big tower at 1:43 was LadyAstrum winning entry for the Qyenos Workshop.
    True, but that wasn't the point being made.

In a nutshell, pointing to a marketing video for the voxel farm engine as evidence of EQNs recent development progress is misleading. None of the work in the video was actually done by Daybreak, for EQN and even the contest models are from last February.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Now I want to play landmark, lol.  I did enjoy the little bit I played, but it's like I'm not a builder and couldn't get into it.  I would wander, kill stuff, and admire other player's talent lmao
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Good ideas...

They never got the chance to finish them..

To bad, because only a playercreated world with playercreated content and stories can give MMo players a game with a neverending flood of content..

Why not finish this engine, combine it with neverwinters Foundry and add to that..
    Players can be great developers, work for next to nothing or even nothing, and have helped many a game that allowed them to mod and add some great content.  I'm really surprised more games don't let them do their thing.  All Devs would have to do is review, suggest changes, then push to live, lots of new content.
    Heck in this game players PAID to play beta and develop the game for them.....I almost think the company said "lets see how far the players can take this"
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    i dont think we will see, if ever, until 2017 or 2018 and beyond.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • DaderickDaderick Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Even if it does release I don't think it'll ever be EQ to me.  I'll buy it, don't get me wrong, but it won't be what I'm looking for in a game on Norrath!  I really hope they prove me wrong though!  Wouldn't it be great to play a modern MMO on Norrath with all that lore?  I bet 2018 at the earliest for EQN if ever.

Visit us over at Star Citizen Privateer!