Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar is going down the dumps

2»

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 2,700
    edited February 2016
    Asm0deus said:
    Torval said:
    Or worst it means some PVP players who are bored may just decide to grief other players and we all know what can of worms that can open.
    Griefing how? What are they going to do that can't be resolved with a report and ban? This does sort of speak to the character and quality of a community type (owpvp gankers) that resort to griefing.
    Right now if your in a group  if someone in the group is flagged and you heal them or buff them etc  you become auto flagged but carbine have said they will look into this so.... we shall see 

Duh? Isn't that to stop people exploiting it by healing their friends whilst in PvP and staying unflagged.

Seems pretty straightforward imo
    Duh? It's exploitable the other way too when your doing world bosses and you throw a heal and some joker is flagged and gets you flagged..it can even start a chain reaction..

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
    PSU: Antec EA 750watt
    RAM: 4x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
    Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
    GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
    cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, samsung evo 860 500gb SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 499
    cronius77 said:
    lol this game is on its death bed. I tried and tried to like it myself but it was way to generic and involved all the headache of wow and GW2 without any of the fun parts of those games it mimics. Still hands down the most quest and screen clutter of any game Ive played to this day with so much useless cluttered quests.  
    pretty much. recently a friend has been trying to get me to play and i could never put my finger on what annoyed me so much about the game. Then the other day it hit me. Wildstar could you please leave me alone get out of my face all the time and let me fall in love naturally. no love will be had on this day my friends!
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,756
    Man, I feel for this game.  
    Why?  It's a bad game.  Worst thing that could happen is it does well and then we're stuck with fucking Wildstar clones for a few years.

Feel bad for the players who love it (for some reason), but the game itself should die in a fire.  The sooner the better.
  • odinthor021odinthor021 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Well seems like BnS being a NCsoft title will prolly go down that same road, although it has a great pvp premise I hope it doesn't cuz I kinda like to pvp.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Good to see that they are doing something. Too bad that everything they do always comes way too late.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,798
    Asm0deus said:
    Torval said:
    Or worst it means some PVP players who are bored may just decide to grief other players and we all know what can of worms that can open.
    Griefing how? What are they going to do that can't be resolved with a report and ban? This does sort of speak to the character and quality of a community type (owpvp gankers) that resort to griefing.
    Right now if your in a group  if someone in the group is flagged and you heal them or buff them etc  you become auto flagged but carbine have said they will look into this so.... we shall see 
    Duh? Isn't that to stop people exploiting it by healing their friends whilst in PvP and staying unflagged.
    Seems pretty straightforward imo
    In some games where a non-flagged person tries to heal a flagged person the heal fails unless the healers specifically flags. This is how it should work.
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Just another game that should never have been made.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,008
    Wildstar losing PvP players just might have something to do with all the new PvP focused MMORPGs coming out and in the works recently.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,228
    This thread is click bait. Reading the title i thought the game was shutting down.
    You are right, it is not shutting down.

...it is preparing to do so.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 5,830
    crowfall will follow wildstar path..

Bit of a curve ball that; wrong forum I would suggest. (And who knows but Crowfall is a "smaller" development and coming from a very different lineage (Shadowbane) which changes design parameters). Think Darkfall - which was a success.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,413
    "is going" would imply it wasn't there in the first place...  Which I would argue its pretty much always been "in the dumps"

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

I assume this will reduce operating costs - one ruleset etc. Coming before the Steam launch though - do PvP players not use Steam? Duh! Or is there confidence in the future so low?
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,436
    Wishing the end to an MMO should not be something we celebrate. The genre needs titles of all kinds. Even if you do not like the game at least it suits the flavor for some. There are plenty of games out there for most tastes. Wildstar aimed high and unfortunately failed to capture a wider audience. Going F2P, making changes, heading to Steam and adding new content shows they are at least trying to retain and gain players. If it shuts down so be it, but to me it is always sad to see a game in the genre I love get shut down. Even if I did not like the game myself someone did and it was a sad day for that someone.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,659
    I don't get it. This sounds more like they are getting rid of OWPVP. I mean. Can't you already flag up on PVE servers?
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 723
    edited February 2016
    gervaise1 said:
    I assume this will reduce operating costs - one ruleset etc. Coming before the Steam launch though - do PvP players not use Steam? Duh! Or is there confidence in the future so low?
    I'm not 100% certain, but I thought Wildstar used the same servers that GW2 did; they just allocated some of the space for Wildstar, rather than creating their own, separate servers. So I don't think it has anything to do with operating cost, as much as it has to do with players creating on the PvP servers, discovering the game was "dead" (even more apparent when there is only 1-2 guilds running on PvP servers), and then quitting. If it was really about money, they probably would have done it a long time ago; it probably has more to do with the upcoming Steam release and "appearances" of being "dead" on PvP servers.

Again, I'm not 100% certain about the servers, but for some reason, I remember something about GW2 and WildStar servers being the same. GW2 and WildStar servers both used to go down when one would get BSoD'd (pretty common at WS launch for several weeks).
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,114
    gervaise1 said:
    I'm not 100% certain, but I thought Wildstar used the same servers that GW2 did; they just allocated some of the space for Wildstar, rather than creating their own, separate servers. So I don't think it has anything to do with operating cost, as much as it has to do with players creating on the PvP servers, discovering the game was "dead" (even more apparent when there is only 1-2 guilds running on PvP servers), and then quitting. If it was really about money, they probably would have done it a long time ago; it probably has more to do with the upcoming Steam release and "appearances" of being "dead" on PvP servers.

Again, I'm not 100% certain about the servers, but for some reason, I remember something about GW2 and WildStar servers being the same. GW2 and WildStar servers both used to go down when one would get BSoD'd (pretty common at WS launch for several weeks).
    They are both hosted in the same datacenters that NCSoft operate out of. As far as using the same hardware I would be more inclined to think they use different hardware but the same datacenter.
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 723
    Thomas2006 said:

They are both hosted in the same datacenters that NCSoft operate out of. As far as using the same hardware I would be more inclined to think they use different hardware but the same datacenter.
    I'm not savvy on server technology or anything, so you are probably more correct than I am. I just remember GW2 servers being mentioned a lot, especially when the "megaserver" technology came to the game. In reality, I don't think it was a "megaserver" as much as it was just transferring all servers into a few (and then later even fewer).
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Though I've recently quit for good... The merge is moving people to the PvE server... How will anyone be grieved? It's already extremely complex to even flag yourself pvp (other than throwing a heal on someone flagged.)

Either way, doesn't matter. They'll never get the new content completed without so many bugs that it's unplayable. Half of Datascape and Genetic Archives is still broken over a year since released, I don't see the new raid, which is now being rushed because of people like me that are quitting (whole guilds quitting) due to severe lack of content and have already beat Datascape to death for over a year.
    That's the heart of the problem.  When most of their staff left after the game initially tanked.  It didn't matter how many players they got back with F2P because there was only a skeleton crew to try and turn out new content for them. 
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 2,444
    crowfall will follow wildstar path..

WTF does this have to do with the topic?
    edited February 2016
    gervaise1 said:
    I'm not 100% certain, but I thought Wildstar used the same servers that GW2 did; 
    I was actually thinking of just having one ruleset - this was what Mythic talked about when they closed the DAoC PvP specific servers.

However when it comes to server specific costs there will be a saving - and probably more significant than I had assumed. Why?

What happens (in businesses) is that costs are either allocated directly to a product or - if stuff is used by more than one product - shared across the products that use that service. And there will be some rules for doing so - simplish rules as well since you don't want to add costs. 

So a charge like NCSoft's head office costs may be allocated per game say. The allocation of datacentre costs though could be linked to "number of servers". Easist way to see this is with an (made up) example.

Lets say the datacentre - the "servers" that multiple games, GW2, WS and others share - costs $100M a year to run: for servers, server software, staff, building, heating, cooling etc. And lets say each games cost is allocated based on how many "servers" they have.  

So if GW2 etc use 96 "servers" and WS uses 4 "servers" then pre-merger WS's cost allocation will be 4/100 or $4M. Post merger WS's cost allocation will be 2/98 or $2.21M.

The datacentre still costs $100M - maybe downstream when capacity planning kicks in it may reduce - so there is no saving to NCSoft but Wildstar's share of these costs has reduced (in this example). 

Could costs be allocated on a "per server" basis? Possibly - with each server designed to take a maximum number of players; could / probably is more complicated of course. However the move could give WS a dispropotionately big saving - pushing up the average revenue per player.

As I said I hadn't thought about it in detail but having done so I suspet it will reduce "allocated server costs" - the key word being allocated.

End of business cost allocation lesson as well !
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    MMORPG and all gameing hype websites  where promoting this game so hard and was bashing ESO so hard so that WS appear in a better light ...
    Yes MMORPG.COM I think you sold you yourself thant why I gives 0 shit what some one think about anything and I shit on ur reviews
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 4,897
    When ESO was bashed initially it totally deserved it. It has improved in leaps and bounds but calling out the bashing as trying to make Wildstar look better is delusional at best.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Well we have the first confirmed case of autoflag player just by double clicking in another player to see who he was. That should not happen ever.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    From the horse's mouth

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/150252-a-note-from-carbine/

Posted Yesterday, 03:13 PM

Hi Folks,

Earlier this morning, Carbine Studios completed a reorganization of its operating structure. Moving forward, the studio will focus on operating and updating WildStar as a live game in the US and Europe. As part of this change, the studio has canceled its plans to bring WildStar to China.

Unfortunately, as a result of these changes, we’ve had to reduce staff. These cuts are directly tied to WildStar’s evolution from a product in development to a live title, to the cancellation of work to bring WildStar to China, and to the overall performance of WildStar since launch in 2014.

These kinds of decisions are exceptionally difficult. The talented and passionate professionals who are impacted by these cuts have been valuable team members and respected colleagues. We wish everyone well for the future and will be providing severance and employment search assistance.

As for WildStar, we remain committed to the game. Over the next few weeks and months we will deliver a significant update to the game, kick off a variety of community events, and continue our work on new content that we will talk more about in the near future.

This game is done, doom, over.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY