Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that CB2 is over, those who have played, thumbs up or down?

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Really?  Care to mention what games you're talking about?
    SWTOR, ESO, Wildstar surpass BDO on quality level without a sweat.

While not matching the quality of titles above, Tera and B&S would be also an alternative, and they are F2P.
  • MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Playing Hex a great PVE fantasy card game, will put a lot of time in The Division when it comes out and it will be my main game. Also will be playing Trove casually when new content comes out and will finish up Far Cry Primal. Whenever Legion is released July-Sept I will be going back to WoW. May go back to Marvel Heroes for a bit if the other games grow stale until Legion.

BDO isn't a bad game but it didn't interest me enough to cut time from my other games. If you took all the other games out of the picture, I still probably wouldn't play it. I respect the fact it is B2P but it just lacks content.   
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    OK a fifty fifty response, hardly encouraging but still it is new and shiny. So before I move on a couple of questions.

If I was to play would I be forced into PvP before level 45?
    What are the chances of a PvE server sometime soon?
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    OK a fifty fifty response, hardly encouraging but still it is new and shiny. So before I move on a couple of questions.

If I was to play would I be forced into PvP before level 45?
    What are the chances of a PvE server sometime soon?
    1) I don't believe so, but you might be better off searching for one of the Youtube videos dedicated to that subject.
    2) Very slim I'd say. Devs rarely deviate from their original design, so I don't see why Daum would be any different.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Gdemami said:
    Really?  Care to mention what games you're talking about?
    SWTOR, ESO, Wildstar surpass BDO on quality level without a sweat.

While not matching the quality of titles above, Tera and B&S would be also an alternative, and they are F2P.
    None of these games are similar to BDO besides being MMORPGs. ESO is not even F2P. 
    Wildstar, Tera, BnS... are you playing any of those titles now? 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
    None of these games are similar to BDO besides being MMORPGs. ESO is not even F2P. 
    Yep, I am playing them.

They are similar, BDO is the same standard MMO layout like the games I listed.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    BDO is more sandboxy than the other games . This might attract more players. I won't play because of PvP and twitch though but wish the game the very best.

Gdemami said:
    Yep, I am playing them.

Well if you are playing them and played BDO and like those titles better it's a different but personal story. But when you talk about superior quality you have to use terms to define what are you talking about, well, if you want to actually have a debate about it. Otherwise it's just meaningless. 

What do you mean by standard MMO layout? 
    edited February 2016
    Well if you are playing them and played BDO and like those titles better it's a different but personal story. But when you talk about superior quality you have to use terms to define what are you talking about, well, if you want to actually have a debate about it. Otherwise it's just meaningless. 

Um..not sure if I discussed it in this thread or some other but by quality I refer to only possible thing - production value.

I like BDO as much as SWTOR, ESO or any other. I was just pointig out to higher objective qualitiy that you can find in similar games and/or have no entry fee.

BDO is still miles behind games like SWTOR or ESO when it comes to quality. Yes, it has got nice graphics but that is about all. SWTOR and ESO got fantastic hand crafted worlds filled with lore and story. Just compare the cutscenes or overly how quests are crafted in ESO or SWTOR...

Standard MMO design layout - level and gear up, join endgame. The game is pretty straghtforwarded there, thus you can just pick any game I listed. Each has some features that can be found in BDO as well.

Gdemami said:

Um..not sure if I discussed it in this thread or some other but by quality I refer to only possible thing - production value.

I like BDO as much as SWTOR, ESO or any other. I was just pointig out to higher objective qualitiy that you can find in similar games and/or have no entry fee.

BDO is still miles behind games like SWTOR or ESO when it comes to quality. Yes, it has got nice graphics but that is about all. SWTOR and ESO got fantastic hand crafted worlds filled with lore and story. Just compare the cutscenes or overly how quests are crafted in ESO or SWTOR...

Standard MMO design layout - level and gear up, join endgame. The game is pretty straghtforwarded there, thus you can just pick any game I listed. Each has some features that can be found in BDO as well.

Production value doesn't mean quality. You're basically saying those games are better because they had more budget. 
    edited February 2016
    Gaming.Rocks said:
    Production value doesn't mean quality. You're basically saying those games are better because they had more budget. 
    Oh, it does mean quality...and that is connected, but not entirely dependent on budget of course.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/production_values
  • yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240
    edited February 2016
    Gdemami said:
    Gdemami said:
    Yep, I am playing them.

Just LOL at that. :).
    Gdemami said:
    Gaming.Rocks said:
    Oh, it does mean quality...and that is connected, but not entirely dependent on budget of course.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/production_values
    The production values you referred in the enhance a the technical elements of a production. Before you mentioned BDO has high end graphics. What does it lack technically compared to SWToR?
    Then again by this definition, all the movies, video games, etc. with more budget have better quality. Hence what I said in my previous post. 

" If it feels higher quality it has high production values. Good lighting has higher production value then poor lighting." 

It's obvious what does higher quality mean in your own link. 
    edited February 2016
    The production values you referred in the enhance a the technical elements of a production. Before you mentioned BDO has high end graphics. What does it lack technically compared to SWToR?
    Then again by this definition, all the movies, video games, etc. with more budget have better quality. Hence what I said in my previous post. 

" If it feels higher quality it has high production values. Good lighting has higher production value then poor lighting." 

It's obvious what does higher quality mean in your own link. 
    Technology does not bring high production value alone.

Take the example of the lighting quote - it does not refer to "bulb" but how the light is placed on the scene. It is how the "appeal" was enhanced, a method that might or might not translate into higher cost and more advanced technology.

SWTOR and ESO are both technologically inferior to BDO but no technology can save BDO cutscenes and quests, making the former games superior production value(quality)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited February 2016
    Gdemami said:

It all depends on what you choose to apply your magnifying glass to. There is no question that compared to say, ESO, the overall and regional stories in BDO can't hold a candle to it. They're confusing and nonsensical by comparison.

OTOH, BDO has systems in it of such detail and complexity that ESO can't compete. There are many. But lets just look at one: horse taming and breeding. In ESO if you want a mount you just buy a horse and feed it something every 20 hours to slowly over time improve its stats. Some mounts may look different but that's only skin deep and they all have the same potential top stats.

In BDO, you can find a wild horse and tame it, take it to a stable and there discover what sex and tier (quality) it is. Then you can tame other horses and once you have a breeding pair, you can start breeding them and hoping for a higher tier offspring.  Those higher tier horses will be better and have higher top end potential than the lower tier ones and you unlock that potential (level them up) by riding them.

You dismiss your mount in ESO? It magically goes poof until you want it again and it magically re-materializes. In BDO when you get off your horse it stays where you leave it, tethered and subject to being attacked by mobs if you left it in the wrong place... or you could leave it in a stable in the closest town or camp and it'll be safe there. And, oh yeah, you can fight and use many of your abilities from horseback.

Creating and programming that system took a lot more time and effort than the ESO one and has much higher play value.

That also is production quality.

It doesn't stop there. Many of the game systems (NPC interactions where you have to gain influence with them before they'll sell you certain things or give you certain knowledge or quests, crafting and trading goods to other cities, using worker helpers you can see going about their business in the game world - not abstractions that send you mail once a day like in ESO... and many more) show a much higher production value than ESO, SWTOR, etc.

Questing and story? Not so much.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    OTOH, BDO has systems in it of such detail and complexity that ESO can't compete. 
    Here you are just talking personal bias, they are just features you like(I like them too) but have nothing to do with production value.

If the systems were actually complex, it might have been different story because it would be underlaying base for the game world, similarly like quests and story shape worlds in ESO or SWTOR.

In BDO, it is just randomly generated world with random "stuff" in there. The game isn't complex, just individual systems are often needlesly complicated - feeding and leveling up a horse = complexity? Really...?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Gdemami said:
    Iselin said:
    OTOH, BDO has systems in it of such detail and complexity that ESO can't compete. 
    Here you are just talking personal bias, they are just features you like(I like them too) but have nothing to do with production value.

If the systems were actually complex, it might have been different story because it would be underlaying base for the game world, similarly like quests and story shape worlds in ESO or SWTOR.

In BDO, it is just randomly generated world with random "stuff" in there. The game isn't complex, just individual systems are often needlesly complicated - feeding and leveling up a horse = complexity? Really...?
    Lol. You can lead a horse to water...

I'll just leave it at that.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

The point I made is about the wiki link you referred is making an example about production value. You can venture a guess that if two productions with the same scale one with 6 figure budget for lighting and the other one with 3 figure budget the first one would usually have better lighting quality. 
    But overall you can't compare the quality of two products which are basically apples and oranges based on their budget. 
    Besides all that you have listed bunch of theme-parks. Even if you want to put up production value as an standard to judge a game compare it to other sandboxes out there. 
    edited February 2016
    But overall you can't compare the quality of two products which are basically apples and oranges based on their budget.
    But they are not apples and oranges, they are all very similar products.

Sure, you can insert your own bias and claim they do not feel the same to you at all, but that will be just your bias. Their design layout, the inner workings, will remain similar.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Gdemami said:
    But they are not apples and oranges, they are all very similar products.

Sure, you can insert your own bias and claim they do not feel the same to you at all, but that will be just your bias. Their design layout, the inner workings, will remain similar.
    No they aren't very similar products but you want them to be.

You like quest centric Theme Parks and there is nothing wrong with that. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    From what I have seen BDO is nothing like ESO or SWTOR. It seems to be more sand box and has some complex systems in it which makes it quite different. Also the way you go about crafting and PvP is also different. Nothing alike at all.
    Chamber of Chains
  • RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Wont play, games boring as hell with kill quest after kill quest.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

cheyane said:
    From what I have seen BDO is nothing like ESO or SWTOR. It seems to be more sand box and has some complex systems in it which makes it quite different. Also the way you go about crafting and PvP is also different. Nothing alike at all.
    You mistake complicacy for complexity.

Nothing about BDO is complex, it is just needlesly complicated in certain aspects - ie. recipe discovery, trying out mindlessly different combinations does not make the system any more complex.
    Rogosh said:
    Wont play, games boring as hell with kill quest after kill quest.
    The quests are just "there", the game's focus is on mob grinding when it comes to leveling.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Gdemami said:
    cheyane said:
    You mistake complicacy for complexity.

Nothing about BDO is complex, it is just needlesly complicated in certain aspects - ie. recipe discovery, trying out mindlessly different combinations does not make the system any more complex.
    Bang on. BDO is far from complex at all. It was mind numbing easy.