Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spells should be typed out.

IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
No icons with pretty pictures to click. You have to type out 'Firebolt' to cast it. Anything less is just hand holding and EZ mode. Kids these days just want their pretty pictures to click.

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    The game should be delivered on cassettes.

Being able to download it is just EZ mode.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2016
    Why would i want to type a name to perform an action? If i want complex spell casting i play Magicka.

Speaking of Magicka, mmos could use that spellcasting system for a change.

Typing the name of the spell doesnt make it less hand holding, it makes it annoying, unless of course you are talking about  typing lines of code into a shell and hit compile and run and pufff the fireball is launched.... too much hassle.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    /sarcasm

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    MMO's should use voice recognition software so the system performs the actions you say.

"Expelliarmus!!!"  B)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited February 2016

Thane said:
    ^^
    I hate when people just spam one skill. LoL!
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Assuming you have to type out the name of a skill in a pvp scenario.. the delay would give all non-caster classes a huge benefit.
    Also things like this lead people to cheat.

There is this guild mission on GW2 where you have to do an emoticon in front of a mirror. The right emoticon is shown on a higher level of the stage where you need a team member to tell you what to use.
    Once he checked out which emoticon is the right one the other guy has a few seconds to execute it.

Instead all those lame ass guild leader pricks will just use macros and spam ALL emoticons there are.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2016
    MMO's should use voice recognition software so the system performs the actions you say.

"Expelliarmus!!!"  B)

it exists already!

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    At first glance of the title I figured you were going in some kind of roleplay-esque direction, which would be cool, but the imagination works just as well when one clicks a hotbar and a cast timer pops up. During said cast timer one can assume the character is doing a spoken word or deep thought (Sorcerers aren't like wizards, wild magic yo, not memorizing scrolls and books.)

But difficulty? I don't see a connection, and you know exactly what would happen... People will just create macros, have to think a little outside the box there, computer inputs can be manipulated and programmed.
  • AngryElfAngryElf Member UncommonPosts: 194
    You should have to type all commands and text in binary.  Anything else is hand-holding easy mode for care bears. 
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    edited February 2016
    MMOS should have an option to use voice commands to cast spells like in Mass Effect.

EDIT: oh someone else already said it

"Expelliarmus!!!"  B)

it exists already!

Wow!  Thanks! Know what I'm doing tonight!

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited February 2016
    ........ Ill just make a "/say Firebolt" macro and put it on my hotbar.
  • SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    Kayo83 said:
    ........ Ill just make a macro and put it on my hotbar.
    *chuckle*

That pretty much cuts right through their point. LOL
  • BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843
    I'd like to play Pantheon on my first PC as a kid:

That'd be awesome!

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    You should only be able to connect to Pantheon servers using a dial up connection. Broadband is for mainstreamers who just want ezmode.

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    if  you had  to type out the word  fireball i would just macro it  and  have a single button type it
    now days with  multibutton mice and macros  you would be able to  do  every attack  still with a single click

when i was leveling  in wow  i would macro my attacks   so that a  single click  would do 3-4 attacks each click was normally enough to kill a mob   or two 

making the whole process less painful 

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Yep I'm all for this...

*Mob starts running towards you with a HUGE tree trunk as a weapon...
    *You start to type in your Invisibility Spell :
    URANUN CARIPE BAGLEN OL
    GEMEGANZA DE-NOAN CHIIS GOSAA
    ZAMICMAGE OLEOL AG-SAPAH ARPHE
    ORESA ETHAMZ TAA TABEGISOROCH
    ZODINU AR ZURAH PAREMU
    ZODIMIBE PAPNORGE MANINUA
    ZONAC DODSIH HOXMARCH TRIAN
    AMONONS PARE DAS NIIS KURES

*You give the Mob the finger knowing you're now invisable
    *Mob squashes you with the tree trunk while laughing at you.

Your last thoughts are... damn.. I misspelled PAPNORGE

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Vrika said:

Casettes hold too much data, I'm thinking we need phonograph cylinders.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Vrika said:

Rubbish it needs to be delivered as binary code for you to type in one bit at a time.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    AngryElf said:
    You should have to type all commands and text in binary.  Anything else is hand-holding easy mode for care bears. 
    Real gamers play with 1 arm behind their backs with the keyboard also behind their backs and blindfolded.  Listening to binary numbers to let them see what is happening.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Vrika said:

Pfft we  dreamed of owning cassettes,we had to use flint stone vitamins and a bristle board to transcribe our spells.
    No can do typing it out,i mistype as well my keyboard mistypes way too often,i would never get a spell off.

However i would like to see added layers to combat systems.Like having to time it or be interrupted or when using an offensive spell the mob would give certain tells to it's weakness for resists,partial resists and full damage.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Do not agree that spells should be typed out.  However, I am all for some spells requiring reagents.  And for some of those reagents being hard or dangerous to find.

Depends on the spell, I would expect a return on my effort.

Long range transport spells would be a good place to implement regents; gathered, crafted, or both.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• kridakkridak Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Considering how much shit i hear about mainstreamers in other threads...this is funny as hell...keep going.

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I'd say only let real life Wizards cast spells in-game. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
This discussion has been closed.