Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO vs BDO?

PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
So I tried out BDO during the last beta, and I definitely enjoyed it. The apparent depth of systems and the combat really pulled me in. I've tried ESO in the past and I was sort of lukewarm on it, but I found it on a site (don't know if we're allowed to mention names?) for about the amount that I've been looking for. I enjoy the world, the open dungeons, and the option of PvP or PvE endgames.

I've been really having a hankering for a new MMO, and I was wondering what people thought about these two? I'm really just looking for a good community that I can try and get involved with, and obviously ESO has a leg up there since BDO is still very much an unknown. Thoughts?

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Two games that are NOTHING a like. I'm a huge ESO fan. I also have a very healthy respect for what BDO is pulling off. If you took ESO's look, combat, and skill system and put them in the BDO world you would have a truly awesome game.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    ESO  can  be group oriented, I suppose, if you play that way. I've been playing since early December and I've been in a total of two groups.  I passed on BDO so not sure about that game.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Thanks for all the responses! Are we allowed to mention websites by name though? Because honestly I'm getting a sketchy vibe this one what has ESO for cheap, and I wonder if anyone here has used it (Google says it's legit). Also, how necessary are all the DLCs? Because they're expensive.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited February 2016
    atticusbc said:
    Thanks for all the responses! Are we allowed to mention websites by name though? Because honestly I'm getting a sketchy vibe this one what has ESO for cheap, and I wonder if anyone here has used it (Google says it's legit). Also, how necessary are all the DLCs? Because they're expensive.
    Here's a list of ESO's Authorized Retailers by region. If it's not listed for your region, don't buy it. They have had issues in the past with certain otherwise popular but still very shady grey market dealers selling fraudulent keys.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/171736/deactivation-of-fraudulently-obtained-esotu-game-keys

The DLC's are all worthwhile but they can wait. They're mostly closer to endgame, things you'll only want to start looking at in the VR levels. What you can do is spend $15 on a subscription for a month and try them out to see if you like them. All subscribers gain access to all DLC's for as long as they're subscribed. You can always cancel your subscription and purchase them later for full price - plus you get 1500 Crowns each month for subscribing which can go towards DLC purchases.

Also to add to what others have said in regards to BDO vs ESO, ESO is more of a themepark, albeit done differently (in a lot of good ways) than others. BDO is more sandboxy/sandpark game. Also ESO is more friendly to the average gamer and you can play as much or as little as you want, and any gameplay style you like, without really feeling like you're behind or not playing as intended. BDO has a very narrow focus and if you're not a hardcore super grinder PvP fiend, or super casual sandbox activity fan, you really won't enjoy it or find your style of gaming and time available to game is really encouraged in BDO. For those that fit the niche, BDO will be their most favorite game, but that's going to be a small amount of people.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited February 2016
    If you want hand holding then ESO, if you don't want any hand holding then BDO.:)
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I really enjoyed ESO. It has a big open world that encouraged the community to interact with one another, this led to a lot of awesome questing and dungeon experiences for me. But ultimately, I gave it up. Not because it was a bad game, but the limited skills started to bother me. They're both good games, that have an emphasis on PVP, so play whatever you think is best. You cant go wrong with either one.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I usually find if the game is a lot cheaper than competitors something fishy is going on.   It is worth it in the long run to buy from a legit seller than risk for a cheaper price. 
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    If you want hand holding then ESO, if you don't want any hand holding then BDO.:)
    Yup this sums it up. I tried to like ESO but I just can't do any more of those railroaded mmorpgs, and even though BDO is not exactly my dream at least it has some kind of freedom to it. Story driven content vs World content.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Open Seamless World with real open world pvp. 

Any game that does not offer that cant compare. 
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    ESO is far superior IMO. It s got some actual decent pve, and the end game rvr is WAY better then what BDO offers, IMO as well.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    edited February 2016
    I quit ESO, because for example:  2 people could take an Elder Scroll!!!! 2 people!!   Also, people werent  fighting for defense of their server.  They actually allowed the other server to take Emperor title so they could get a free run on the title in return.  Many players stopped fighting for their server, and would just for example, grab a Scroll, camp inside a cave in order to lure other players into a small spot where they could drop oil on them for fun.  

I was under the impression you should take scrolls and take them back to your own territory.  And it shouldnt be easy mode so that 2 ppl can do it.

I would say BDO is a challenge to grind up.  Some gamers today dont like a grind.  Some gamers want a petting tram.  ESO = an interesting petting tram in PVE and PVP.  BDO is a grind, which I grew up with in gaming.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited February 2016
    Well you can wait for BDO inevitably going F2P and try it then (should be before the year even ends). You can also get it for only 30$, which is also a pretty good deal.

I mean if you go with BDO don't expect it to last you long, it just doesn't have the amount of content that ESO does, nor is it done on such a high quality level. ESO is clearly way better, but the question is, are you willing to spend much more money for a far better experience?

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Another difference between ESO and BDO is that the latter has housing, while ESO doesn't (yet?).
    So if you care about those, that'll be a point in BDO's favor. Other than that, everything else's already been thoroughly covered by others.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I like Rye and I like Rum.

For me, one is not better than the other, they are just both different. One evening I might be in the mood for some rum and the next evening I might like me some rye.

In the end, they'll probably both get me pissed  >:)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    atticusbc said:
    The game (ESO) has a ton of content without the expansions, you can pick them up if you really like the game and have some spare cash down the track. 

I'll be playing BDO for a while, but ESO is quite amazing and I'm sure to go back for the RvR pvp (the pve side is really good as well). 
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited February 2016
    If find ESO unacceptable due to the complete reliance on quests.  I'm bored to tears after 10 minutes of playing.  I also find the pseudo action combat annoying (after playing true free aim games like Darkfall).  BDO is not out yet so I can't speak to the game other than it doesn't force you at gun point to do quests.

If you are cool with being ordered around by an NPC ESO is a great game.
  • PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    I went ahead and grabbed ESO. Maybe I shouldn't have, but it's my birthday, precious. :) Thanks for the responses. Also thanks @Leiloni for the link to that thread. The site was on their list, so I guess it was just a poorly designed site. Haha
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Happy Birthday! And Gratz on ESO!

I'm an ESO fan personally. =)