Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting tired of the abuse on this site.

2»

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    DMKano said:
    Try to ignore the posts and pretend they're not there. The "LOL" feature probably isn't such a great idea if it's just going to be used to deride the post instead of what it was likely intended for, a sense of amusement.

LOL is used in 2 ways

1. Someone actually found it funny

and more common

2. A fail attempt to discredit what is said  
    You only put #2 down because we know your Trion defenses get a lot of lol's. But yes, the lol is the unofficial "dislike" or "disagree" button here.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Sorry. I can't help myself. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited February 2016
    So what is your suggestion to fix this? If people are making personal attacks all you have to do is report them. Aside from that they could remove the LOL option, but what's to stop people from responding with it? Ban everyone who does that too? If that's the case they might as well kill the root of the problem, ban all sensationalism, mountain out of molehill posts, Nerd rage, and loaded accusations. Yet then this place would be empty..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Let's see... you've been here 2 years, I've been here 8. You've started about 30 more discussions than I have and you certainly don't shy away from creating controversial hot button topics.

So make up your mind: you either want to be the center of attention in the crosshairs or you don't. Pick one.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Try to train your brain to filter the negative and ignore it. If you believe someone is posting just to screw with you, why give them so much power over you by letting them get to you? And then starting a thread about it to basically let them know they won? lol
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    edited February 2016
    I've gotten called, a fanboi, a troll, an idiot, dumbarse (that's not the exact wording), know-it-all, naive, clueless, hypocrit, jerk, and any number of names, I've gotten my named dropped on other websites. It happens. 

As for this particular encounter. the problem was apparently first your title was misleading, then you were stating it was the software (linux) that was hacked, when it was actually the site itself.  This triggered that aforementioned post with the attached "you know nothing".  This was probably the more brash way of saying you lack proper knowledge on the subject at hand and should go back and do more research on the subject so you aren't misleading people. 

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Also three things, problems like this need to be brought up to the mods, not in site suggestion, now if you were giving the site mods a suggestion on how to stop this problem or to better detect this issue like new software then that's one thing, but just pointing out a problem isn't the way to go. This is akin to telling them how to do their job, pretty sure you wouldn't like someone doing that to you.

Also attaching someone's name to a post is a real good way for the post to get mod edited as it's primary effect (intended or not) will cause the person to have to defend their actions out of context and most likely will receive attacks or negative feedback of their own when it's entirely possible the reaction may have been correct. Maybe edit the post and make it more general instead of it being about this person

If you have a problem with that poster either take it to that poster's IM/ignore them or report them. Don't put them into the spotlight like this. As you'll then have to be careful at the very least that certain people don't do that to you.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• KhaoslightKhaoslight Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Ah, the internet.

The single most bi-polar "invention" man has ever created.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:
    DMKano said:
    Try to ignore the posts and pretend they're not there. The "LOL" feature probably isn't such a great idea if it's just going to be used to deride the post instead of what it was likely intended for, a sense of amusement.

LOL is used in 2 ways

and more common

You only put #2 down because we know your Trion defenses get a lot of lol's. But yes, the lol is the unofficial "dislike" or "disagree" button here.

What's really great about it - it's always by the same handful of posters - my adoring fans 
    My life wouldn't be the same without you -but i'm sure that door swings both ways
    <3

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,499
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:
    DMKano said:

LOL is used in 2 ways

and more common

What's really great about it - it's always by the same handful of posters - my adoring fans 
    Well on the plus side it probably helped vault you to the rarified air.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,499

Volgore said:
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:
    DMKano said:

LOL is used in 2 ways

and more common

My life wouldn't be the same without you -but i'm sure that door swings both ways
    <3
    Wait, I pressed the LOL emoji, will you think I was laughing with you or at you?

So confusing.... O.o

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited February 2016
    DMKano said:

LOL is used in 2 ways

and more common

You have twice as many LOLs as you do "insightfuls".  I guess you're just really funny?

Anyway, OP- welcome to message boards.  This one is tame compared to some I've been on.  I've witnessed multi-year fueds between posters that blurred into real life when the one started dating the other's ex-girlfriend lol...

Don't take it seriously if you don't want to.  Some people just like to stroke the ol' e-peen every once in awhile (witness my dig at DMKano in this very reply).  It's meant as harmless fun.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Don't feed the trolls, focus on the valid responses and respond only to those.  IMHO.
    In that case you won't be posting much here...
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    As one of the Triumvirate of Hate you are referencing I feel the need to respond.

Knowing your post history regarding SC I found it laughable that you felt you were being disrespected by someone pointing out your errors by being a little snarky. You have been guilty of doing the same thing many times and you know it. Hence the LOL. The LOL's you got from this OP are coming from the same direction also.

I'm not a fan of the Bible but one of the greatest sayings comes from it:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Kyleran said:

Volgore said:
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:
    DMKano said:

LOL is used in 2 ways

and more common

<3
    Wait, I pressed the LOL emoji, will you think I was laughing with you or at you?

So confusing.... O.o

More often than not i hit lol if i find its a funny statement, even if unintentionally, sometimes i guess, it really is open to interpretation, maybe there should be 2 lol buttons, one for, 'thats funny' and a the second for, 'whatever'
    of course there could also be 2 awesome buttons, one for 'hey, thats an amazing statement' and the second for' i can't believe you just did that' oh wait, thats the second lol button..  :p
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    My favorite button is to use "insightful" sarcastically when someone says something really obvious.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Iselin said:
    Let's see... you've been here 2 years, I've been here 8. You've started about 30 more discussions than I have and you certainly don't shy away from creating controversial hot button topics.

So make up your mind: you either want to be the center of attention in the crosshairs or you don't. Pick one.
    Boom head shot.  I started on this site in 2004, 12 years and less than 1K posts, because I am far too abrasive so I don't invite controversy lest I get banned...again.

If you want to be the center of attention then you got it.  Fame ain't all it's cracked up to be...is it?

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    There is an old saying:

"If you don't like the Heat, stay out of the Oven"

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Wait... the LOL button is the negative button?

I've been using the agree button ironically.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    The abuse is not "on this site", its all over the internet. The internet is survival of the fittest.

@Iaserit's quote is perfect in this case.

Flag, report and ignore, but dont get offended on the internet.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Too personally invested in forums. Take a step back. The fact that you made this thread speaks volumes, you might be encouraging the foolery on your end.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    edited February 2016
    Please report users that you feel are in violation of our Rules of Conduct. Our moderators will look into the issue and take any necessary action. Locking this thread.

EDIT: I should also add, if you're unsatisfied with the way your report was handled or feel a particular user is consistently problematic, you can PM me to discuss it. Please do not create threads calling out other users.
This discussion has been closed.