Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those who have never played World of Warcraft: The game in a nutshell

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
INTRODUCTION:

Having played World of Warcraft since it's release back in 2004, I finally have decided to post something that may help those who are looking for a MMORPG, and have never played World of Warcraft aka "WoW".

I have had a love/hate relationship with the game since it came out in 2004.
In fact, at the time most of my friends and I had just finished a 4 year stint with Everquest and you would think that we all would have been totally blown away by WoW at the time.

Well, kind of sort of...as WoW was not really the same game back then as it is now.
But despite that, over the past 12 years I have usually subscribed to WoW for about 3 months and then took 6 month breaks from it, every year.

However, this habit of non-steady subscriptions has come to an end and I plan to sub for at least a year now.
Here is why and what WoW is in a nutshell for those who have never played it and/or the latest expansion the "Warlords of Draenor":

Despite the artwork being a negative for me over the years, this last expansion updated the graphics to the point that I really like them.
Some might consider them too "cartoony" compared to Elder Scrolls or other games, but in all honesty art is a personal taste and the adjustments made in the last expansion have impressed me.

Blizzard is a solid company with a great track record, there are no scams or dirty tricks.
Of course, they are not providing a free public service and are in the business of making money, but there is a free version of the game for those who want to try before subbing.
Also, unlike many other MMORPGs Blizzard and WoW are here to stay and not going anywhere.

THE GAME:

Although the game is set in the oh so tired and saturated Fantasy universe of games, World of Warcraft came out with its story and characters at a time 2004, when such Fantasy saturation was not happening.
Thus, it remains to this day a great fantasy universe.
Yep, it has Orcs...but there are so many other races, any redundancy to other fantasy games is a mute point.

The best way to describe World of Warcraft as a MMORPG is basically that you can play your character in many many ways.
For example, if you are a traditionalist who likes PvE, Dungeons and Raiding, the Dungeon Finder and Raid Finder will easily find you a group, especially during prime time hours.

If you do not like Dungeons or Raiding, you can pretty much play the whole main story line and really enjoy yourself by taking your time and enjoying the beautiful scenery, land, lore, characters and story of the game.

Don't like fighting pixel dragons? Well, there are several PvP options.
For example, you can quickly join a 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3, arena battle, a huge Battleground, or the Ashran Instance.
All of which have many players from different servers.
The battlefields and Ashran instance can be quite large with many players.

If you do not like playing any of these PvP games with random players, there are many options for you to either create or find pre-made groups.

As a result, you have a ton of ways to play both PvE and PvP.

Now here is something totally new when it comes to MMORPGs, that being the games "Garrison" feature, where upon entering the Warlords of Draenor (WoD) storyline , you get quickly to the point where you are introduced to your Garrison, which is kind of like an outpost.

You can manage this Garrison and customize its contents, i.e. its building by choosing what you want to build and why, as well as to upgrade.
You also get "NPC Followers"  you can send on missions, and IMHO the Garrison feature is very fun.
However, I had issues understanding the whole concept at first, but thanks to other players who answered my chat questions, but moreover forum questions and just reading about that game feature has now made the game more fun for me.
Especially PvP, as I love playing in the 'Ashran" instance where you not only fight players from the opposite side, but can do quests as well.
All of which give you Conquest and Honor points to buy great and cool looking PvP gear.

THE GOOD THE BAD THE UGLY:

The really GOOD part of this game is that the storyline, lore, and basically the games universe is very interesting and immersive.
In fact, some of the past expansions were IMHO truly epic, as in my case, "The Wrath of the Lich King".
I loved the novel, the expansion, the in game storyline "Everything".
But the best part is that you can still play content from that past expansion!
I missed all the Raid Content for Lich King in the past, but upon my return to WoW this year I did all the old Lich King Raids SOLO!
Dont like to solo? Well you can create and find groups for the old content as well.

Also, very good are the variety of options in which to buy things with in game gold, real money, or tokens.
None of which on the real money side is pay to win.
In addtion, the WoW website is one of the best MMORPG websites out there, so that you can get caught up in the lore and storyline, via reading or videos.

Confused about a PvP or PvE character build? Do not worry, as there are tons websites and videos on the web to help you quite easily.

Like a nice community? Well, the WoW community has gotten a ton better! In fact, I do not use the term 'Wow Kiddies" anymore, as I have found 90% of my in game experience to be great.

THE BAD:

Servers vary in terms of performance and the caliber of players on them.
I play on 2 different servers atm, with a few level 100 toons, and the performance on one of those servers is poor, while the performance on the other server is great.
Do your research and ask questions in the forums about this.

Sometimes you will get an occasional player who uses the game has their personal outlet for "potty talk", but you can put those players on "ignore" quite easily and be rid of them asap.

The subscription for some players is a game breaker, and I understand that.
IMHO, if there is a MMORPG in which to pay a subscription, then WoW is the one to do so with.
I usually sub for 1 or 3 months.

Sometimes things are confusing, i.e. "the way things work", and a good example of this at least for me were as follows:

1) Equipment Manager
2) Builds
3) Too many quests 

The key to all 3 is to hit the forums or do a web search and also asking your guild or someone on the game.
For some odd reason I had trouble with those 3 things shown above, but are now all sorted out.

THE UGLY:

There once was a lot of "UGLY" for me with this game.
I hated the community.
I stunk at PvP.
Could not find raids, hated raids, and did not want the stress of a guild.
But...these things were "my fault".....as I did not take the time to read and do research on things I did not understand.
Also, I was "anti-social", and did not talk to anyone in game for advice.
Once I changed those 3 things, there was no ugly.

Also, avoiding trouble makers and putting spammers, trolls, and potty talkers in chat on ignore helped as well.

IN CONCLUSION:

I am no expert....but I have played almost every major MMORPG that was released between 1999 and the present.
In addition, there was a 3 year period where I avoided MMORPGs at all costs especially WoW.
Sometimes you need a break....and I did.
I was playing to many PC games, and after cutting back, the results at least for me were more fun and more understanding.

Thus, take your time, do some research, watch game trailers and videos, play the free version of WoW, and maybe a 1 month subscription and see for yourself.

Even if you find the game is not for you, at least you gave it a try.

Comments

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    =)  @unleadedRev Nice post, best put on a slicker and combat helmet, the hate for WoW around here is unbelievable.  But you did a nice job. Personally when I played it, WoW was great, no regrets.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    DMKano said:
    I played vanilla WoW - and had an absolute blast. Back in vanilla - players actually did quest content in zones, and did zone PvP even!

I watched a buddy of mine play WoW several months ago - the way he played was basically standing in one spot and just waiting for queues to pop.

As far as he was concerned - they could have turned off all the world zones and he wouldn't even know it as he only plays instances. It's like this entire world the devs build is basically completely meaningless.

Pretty extreme change of how the game is played.
    So true!

Vanilla WoW was great. Now it's a dumbed down shadow of it's former self. I finally called it quits after WotLK because the writing was on the wall. The queue's were already forming for dungeons and you could see where things were headed, but I was tempted back for Cata and MoP for a short time with each expac. That was enough for me.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Thats a pretty big nutshell.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    edited February 2016
    Not really a nutshell...here is WOW in a nutshell: -

See head.
    Hit head.
    Take reward.
    Repeat.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    DMKano said:
    I played vanilla WoW - and had an absolute blast. Back in vanilla - players actually did quest content in zones, and did zone PvP even!

I watched a buddy of mine play WoW several months ago - the way he played was basically standing in one spot and just waiting for queues to pop.

As far as he was concerned - they could have turned off all the world zones and he wouldn't even know it as he only plays instances. It's like this entire world the devs build is basically completely meaningless.

All of the above. Had a conversation with a buddy today about this very issue. Last time I logged into WoW was for MoP release and dear god has it changed.
    1. People spamming guild invites without actually talking. I'm not going to join your shitty guild so you can boast about how many members you have, half of which probably don't log in anymore.
    2. 95% of the people did not move in Orgrimmar. You would see people phase in and out as instances popped for them but that was it.
    3. No one talks in groups. You join a dungeon, the tank takes off at full speed regardless if anyone else is ready and not a word is said to anyone by anyone. Typing Hi everyone is generally met with silence or on the rare occasion when people can stop pressing 1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1 for a second you will get a "shut up noob!"
    4. The community sucks if you are new to the game. They will ridicule you, make fun of you and make your life miserable if you show the audacity to ask a question about the current dungeon or if you don't have the best gear for your level and class.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Wylf said:
    =)  @unleadedRev Nice post, best put on a slicker and combat helmet, the hate for WoW around here is unbelievable.  But you did a nice job. Personally when I played it, WoW was great, no regrets.
    The hate for wow is justified from the fans who used to play it. We saw a game go from something awesome with a great community turn into what it is today. Obviously I don't speak for everyone but when the devs ruin their game because they start catering to the masses then you tend to get passionate about a game you used to love.

I know catering to the masses is what everyone is going for since it brings in the most money but you need to find a balance otherwise you are going to shoot yourself in the foot eventually.

• R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    DMKano said:

So... youve been playing the game for several years... you want to roll your 6th alt. Do you really want to spend another 3-4 months leveling through the questing content all over again? 

A new player comes in - do you really want him to be stuck for 2 months in zones with graphics from 2004?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Friends don't let friends play WoW. But more seriously back in the day when I played during the Vanilla years I had a good time playing while no idea what the experience is like today

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220

So... youve been playing the game for several years... you want to roll your 6th alt. Do you really want to spend another 3-4 months leveling through the questing content all over again? 

A new player comes in - do you really want him to be stuck for 2 months in zones with graphics from 2004?
    That just tells me that the content is static and boring if every time you create an alt you have to have the same journey. It is the epitome of an 'on rails' game and doesn't support the notion that it is worth playing for any substantial time. 

And if the old zones are not updated that again just shows that the game is so on rails that once you are past a location it is redundant there is no need to return. Hardly a living world or a fun experience for anyone other then whack a mole types. 
  • LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548
    DMKano said:

Yup, Blizzard literally took the World out of World of Warcraft.
  • AkesukeAkesuke Member UncommonPosts: 29
    edited June 2016
    Post edited by Akesuke on
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I think the outlook on WoW depends on a couple of factors....If it was your first MMO then I would imagine people thought it was the greatest....Those of us that had played several MMOs before WoW probably thought it was OK but not the world beater the new players thought......For me the game was too easy

Lets take a level 50 toon.....In vanilla wow my level 50 could beat a 55 easily...In classic EQ my level 50 could barely solo a 45...The instances in WoW were very easy if you had experienced MMO players in your group...The problem was often that you had a group of noobs who had no clue what aggro and crowd control were so they just blasted away at everything....People thought the dungeons were hard basically because they didnt know how to play.

WoW was fine for a casual gamer but i think for the more hardcore it was too easy
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    The Venn diagram of people who visit MMORPG.com, and people who haven't played WOW is already extremely small.

The Venn diagram of that small sliver and people who want to read a lengthy text about a game is even smaller.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Good read. And now the word "potty talkers" is part of my vocabulary. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    The problem with wow is costs 15$ a month plus purchasing the game.  And there are other options that are just as good and even better without all the money hassle.
    Are you onto something or just on something?