Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting tired of the abuse on this site.

KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
edited February 2016 in Site Suggestions
There is a group of people who make it into a sport to attack other people.

It happens with too many posts.

Here is an example:

I start a perfectly normal thread:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6870204#Comment_6870204

Then I always get snide remarks.

"OP knows nothing, needs to read a book"

then I ask him to leave my thread

and his little gang of friends laugh it up, they love nothing more than to click LOL to make fun of other posters after attacks

I have had to flag more and more people who made it into a sport to abuse others.

I started with that star trek guy, and now these people keep doing it, as if it's a sport to them.

Comments

• Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    That's too bad, I would just ignore them.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    I mean this with all due respect. Grow some thicker skin.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    It's the internet, you gotta expect some asshole responses.  Just ignore them as best you can.  It's not just on here...Have you ever looked at YouTube comments?
  • ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    This site has been like that for a long time.  That's why I generally just check to see if there is any news real quick and leave.  I've made another site my regular one.  This one is toxic.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    I didn't mean to be that offensive... I'll hold back from those kind of remarks.

On a side note, I have no friends or "gangs" on this site at all.

I'm sorry?
  • DangerNobuoDangerNobuo Member UncommonPosts: 96
    edited February 2016
    Edit:
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    I didn't mean to be that offensive... I'll hold back from those kind of remarks.

On a side note, I have no friends or "gangs" on this site at all.

I'm sorry?
    It's fine.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Golelorn said:
    I mean this with all due respect. Grow some thicker skin.
    true, I'll work on that
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Although you are right for getting tired of it. But I don't think you are entitled to making a fuss about it since you have been doing some of this stuff as well. For instance if it bothers you that people LOL'ed your serious comment don't you think that others (myself included) had gotten annoyed when you selected a part of our comment and replied LOL or some irrelevant image? 
    I think you just don't like to be on the receiving end, hypocrisy 101.
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    I think the OPs point is, if your going to be ridiculed for making a post.. why post?  This community is becoming just as Toxic as the WoW Community...

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Try to ignore the posts and pretend they're not there. The "LOL" feature probably isn't such a great idea if it's just going to be used to deride the post instead of what it was likely intended for, a sense of amusement.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Do unto others and all that and what goes around comes around. You have behaved similarly on other people's thread and before you protest you know it too. However you now have the temerity to complain . How fitting I guess.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    edited February 2016
    Krimzin said:
    I think the OPs point is, if your going to be ridiculed for making a post.. why post?  This community is becoming just as Toxic as the WoW Community...
    That's life, and something we all deal with. Whether at school, work or play. People will challenge you. People will be rude. People will try to use you. Its up to you to protect yourself. My gosh, this "ridicule" was mild to non-existent. OP really needs to deal with adversity a little better. I promise you its a lot tougher outside than on these forums.

As Taylor Swift would say "shake it off".
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    The flag button works wonders; they are not shy about suspending/banning people here for even the most minor flaming.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Don't feed the trolls, focus on the valid responses and respond only to those.  IMHO.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Forums can be pretty hostile in general, especially MMO/game forums. Personally, I didn't find the post you highlighted to be offensive or malicious at all. Maybe a bit rude and condescending but.. that's about it. It didn't look like an attack from my perspective but from yours obviously you felt differently. We can't go crazy censoring or banning everyone who ever makes a mean or slightly rude comment, you gotta let people vent and get things out of their system unless they are a constant offender and all of their posts are of that negative/hateful nature.

Just my opinion though.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    I personally would never attack anyone on this website, but I have been on the defensive and will not hesitate to point out to someone when they are being an asshat.

We all love (Basically) the same hobby, in a landscape that isn't necessarily growing in popularity. So Be nice kids.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited February 2016
    Anything you post on this site invites some folks to agree with what you are saying, and another group to disagree with you.

What is your point of creating so many new theads if you are not inviting commentary and criticism.

As for them being rude or nasty, in EVE we say HTFU, words to live by if you plan on posting here, especially in the hardware forums which are some of most vicious ones on this site. (epeen runs strong in there)

I am Phenomenal

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Wait, I thought the flag button meant you wanted to remember the post.  I've been doing it wrong.  I've been flagging lots of posts then.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

DMKano said:
    Try to ignore the posts and pretend they're not there. The "LOL" feature probably isn't such a great idea if it's just going to be used to deride the post instead of what it was likely intended for, a sense of amusement.

LOL is used in 2 ways

1. Someone actually found it funny

and more common

2. A fail attempt to discredit what is said  
    Well if the site would provide a proper way to deride a post maybe it wouldnt be improperly used.

I am Phenomenal

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Not my style, but I've seen the OP go into plenty of threads and rudely start bashing games, so I'm not entirely surprised he's been met with such comments. You reap what you sow and all that.

Of course some people tend to be jerks just because the anonymity of the net lets them get away with it. Nothing to do about those except move on.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    If i'm not mistaken, the original post usually belongs into a mail to MikeB and not into the forums.
    Also, posting a picture with another user's name and calling him out on something was refered to as "name calling" and could have gotten you a warning.

On the other hand, Kiyoris is one of the very few accounts that hit rare status with less than 2000 postings, which is quite uncommon. That means for every user that poked him/her, an amount of other users that is relatively huge(!) agreed to his/her contributions, found them awesome, insightful etc. -which after all doesn't look like the OP has a hard time finding acceptance on these forums.

For every other case the best forum tool is not server side, but always the scroll wheel of your mouse. Use it, it may keep you from possibly hating on somebody who maybe could be your best ingame buddy in just another game. Mine has made a million miles on these forums.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Krimzin said:
    IMO it's been that way for many years.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

This discussion has been closed.