Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the Most Underrated MMO Today?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well i thought EQ2 was also really good,it falls into that CLONE bracket of tons of hand holding and linear questing.So for that type of game yes it is one my all time faves.
    However FFXI is imo still to this day the best overall mmorpg and is never advertised or talked about,while SOE and Blizzard were tow of the biggest advertisers in the market.FFXI is designed more as a mmo+rpg than those other games aside from EQ2's housing which of course adds immersion and realism to the genre,which is why i said for THAT type of game EQ2 is the best out there or arguably VG but in essence identical games.

Another very under rated game that does bring some uniqueness and is yet another clone is Runes of Magic.Pretty cool game if only they could figure a way to make the game less cash shop intensive.

The GREED by so many developers is also stupidity,they kill their own game/market because of greed.Even SOE would rather have LESS players,less overhead and just soak those few people for as much money as they can,rather than aim big.Obviously greed and trying to nickle dime your audience does not work,people leave very soon after and then your game is a ghost town for the rest that decide to stick it out.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Definitely Eve Online. Pretty much everything everyone wants in a sandbox game is there, yet so many people simply can't seem to get into it due to a combination of the genre, ruthless pvp and brutal learning curve.
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Pathfinder Online!
  • strangesidestrangeside Member UncommonPosts: 19
    The Secret World
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    First you guys say games are over-hyped now this...
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• v_Vev_Ve Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Wizard 101

Witty & Wicked >:)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I'd actually go with Tabula Rasa. It was a mess when it launched, but it had some good ideas in there. It was getting it's feet underneath it when it had the rug pulled out.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Cyrael said:
    Definitely Eve Online. Pretty much everything everyone wants in a sandbox game is there, yet so many people simply can't seem to get into it due to a combination of the genre, ruthless pvp and brutal learning curve.
    Eve might me the most OVER rated game, especially now. It hasnt been good for 5 years or so.

Underrated? Hard to say they all have their fanbois, even the horrible ones. But to be under rated it has to be a game not many people play but would keep people playing it if they bothered to try it out. That too is a pretty tall order.

I doubt any released games fulfill the criteria needed.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Can't say I'd give any game the 'underrated' moniker but a few of them I wish had been done better, but that would a different thread.   ;)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    rodarin said:
    Cyrael said:
    Eve might me the most OVER rated game, especially now. It hasnt been good for 5 years or so.

Underrated? Hard to say they all have their fanbois, even the horrible ones. But to be under rated it has to be a game not many people play but would keep people playing it if they bothered to try it out. That too is a pretty tall order.

Can i craft my ships?DO i have a 3D player that can walk around ships and stations and planets?
    Are abilities earned?Housing?Player combat?,i want non radar type combat,this game offers radar and tracking,no thanks.Warp travel ...no thanks.Cash shop gaming no thanks.,"insurance" lmao terrible idea.
    No to all of above,guess it doesn't offer me a sandbox game.

Eve on paper COULD have been an absolute amazing game,but when you get some rinky dink Indie operation like CCP running it,it never had a chance.Even after millions of dollars floating through their turnstiles ,the game remains a "what could have been" and will never get there.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664

EQ2 came to my mind at first BUT after thinking about it I have to go with Vanguard. Dungeons in that game were massive, quests were interesting, combat while tab targeting was a better twist on it then others. Classes and races were really cool. World was massive and beautiful at that time, some of the boss fights were better than other games ive played. Crafting system was very in depth. BUT when you launch a game where you fall through the world while running on a path, something might be a little wrong and kills the game for most people. Then toss in the fact it was developed by people who didn't care or didn't know what to do, sold to people who fixed thousands of bugs only to be put on permanent life support.

Poor game was doomed from launch.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Age Of Conan.
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

EQ2 came to my mind at first BUT after thinking about it I have to go with Vanguard. Dungeons in that game were massive, quests were interesting, combat while tab targeting was a better twist on it then others. Classes and races were really cool. World was massive and beautiful at that time, some of the boss fights were better than other games ive played. Crafting system was very in depth. BUT when you launch a game where you fall through the world while running on a path, something might be a little wrong and kills the game for most people. Then toss in the fact it was developed by people who didn't care or didn't know what to do, sold to people who fixed thousands of bugs only to be put on permanent life support.

Poor game was doomed from launch.

I would've gone with VG as well but didn't mention it as I understood the thread as asking for what is out at the moment. VG had so much potential but its failure painfully matched whatever potentiality it could have been had. IMO of course.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    A Tale In The Desert.  It's underrated because the graphics are old and there's no combat.  But its crafting system is in the top 5 of all MMOs ever, it's got a close-knit community of mostly mature adult players, and it's got some of the most interesting projects for players to do that I've ever seen in a game, like make a tile mosaic or a glider show with colored smoke and loop-de-loops...
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• noodles6966noodles6966 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    If I think of underrated, I would think it would be a game that doesn't get much fan fare,that not many people play,but is a good game. Unchartered Waters and Xyson come to mind for me
  • Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    I'm going with Shadowbane.
  • StilliamStilliam Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Anarchy Online, an impressive MMO. Too bad it'd been abandoned for too long by ignorant FunCom.
  • LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Pirates of Burning Sea
  • PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    DMKano said:
    Planetside 1

Agreed!
    My favorite game of all time.

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    All of them I would say... Some really great games end up with low populations and unable to meet expectations from even the simple statements of "this game sucks" without any additional information explaining why. The crowds today seem to see that and then immediately ignore the game or bash it themselves.

I dare them to do better.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited February 2016
    Wizardry said:
    rodarin said:
    Cyrael said:

Can i craft my ships?DO i have a 3D player that can walk around ships and stations and planets?
    Are abilities earned?Housing?Player combat?,i want non radar type combat,this game offers radar and tracking,no thanks.Warp travel ...no thanks.Cash shop gaming no thanks.,"insurance" lmao terrible idea.
    No to all of above,guess it doesn't offer me a sandbox game.

Eve on paper COULD have been an absolute amazing game,but when you get some rinky dink Indie operation like CCP running it,it never had a chance.Even after millions of dollars floating through their turnstiles ,the game remains a "what could have been" and will never get there.

Not sure if serious. You can craft your ship and modules too, have an avatar to walk around in the captain's quarters, (or even play dress up) housing is met by player owned stations and some folks even own full stations and soon citadels.

Combat is quite detailed and you must account for a variety of factors such as transversals, range, velocity, damage and shield types to name just a few.

Warp travel? Its a friggin space game, which I'd venture most every one past, present and future has. EVEs is strategically woven into the gameplay.

Insurance is a terrible idea? Why? People fall over themselves to buy lifetime in SC and my complaint in EVE is its largely useless, except for newer players or when I fly a T1 hull.

It has a cash shop, but items sold do not influence the universe in any significant way.

The game stands as one of the greatest MMORPGs ever made, and likely one of the most misunderstood and under rated virtual worlds in the genre.

I am Phenomenal

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Vendetta Online is underrated; it was among the first twitch-combat MMORPGs, and is still going strong today with 2 out of the 4 original developers and 1 hired artist.  Some news outlets reported it as the first MMO to support Oculus Rift.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance