Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO Closed Beta Two Ignites the Community - Black Desert Online at MMORPG.com

12346»

Comments

• EuthionEuthion Member UncommonPosts: 4
    This is a great game!
    Check out LFMMO.com for the latest MMO recommendations! Post Your LFMMO on our site to get recommendations on what to play or if you would like to watch our latest video recommendations go to YouTube.com/LFMMO

• ToxicTripsToxicTrips Member UncommonPosts: 2

hyutei said:

disappointed in both the game and Daum as company,the game is badly optimized,and the cash shop made the game pay2win,i expected much from this game,but truth is,its same as with every other game,they can call it NEW,EPIC or what ever,but truth is,its same crap with different name,i dont see people playing this game for too long,it will be like archeage,1st month or two there will be fair amount of players,then it will go down and it will go down fast

this game is archeage 2.0 however,its not even close to being better then archeage,the only thing that is better is graphics,and the skills looking cool,but in my opinion,archeage is better in every other aspect,but they do have 1 thing in common tho,both games will be/are destroyed by their publishers.

There is no such thing as pay to win, What do you win if you spend some coin? The game? No. Are there games that want you to spend money on costumes that help in xp, crafting, riding? Yes. Does it really give you that much of an advantage over someone else? No.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    edited February 2016
    The cash shop is the biggest problem with the game being B2P. That thread explained it perfectly.

Also, the game is over a year out of date with KR, despite being published by the same damn company who runs the KR version, albeit their western counterpart. This shouldn't be happening. We're missing 2 classes and some actual PvE endgame. That is huge.

And the servers.. there's only going to be two servers, both of them located in CA. This is very harmful to the majority of the playerbase (east coast), as the game is extremely action based more than any other MMO (aside from Vindictus) and requires very low latency. The servers should be split; one for west, one for east. I have to calk this up to them being a European company and either not realizing this, or not able to invest in having another datacenter. Overall, it's a huge negative to the game ontop of all the other issues.

Game is beautiful (sans horrid pop-in), but with a lack of PvE endgame and a severe grind requirement, it's not living up to the hype a lot of people, myself included, had for the game.

It definitely is a love/hate affair.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    JJ82 said:
    The game is beautiful, large and seems to offer a great deal of things to do.

Unfortunately it is defeated by a bland story, grindy quests, horrible UI, terrible controls that I spent 20 minutes on trying to keybind in a way that didnt blow chunks and it still felt awkward, twitch combat that doesnt stand up to even older action based MMOs like Vindictus, open world PvP end game which vastly limits gameplay choices, massive Korean MMO grind and what is clearly going to be a P2W shop.

Another MMO that had so much potential and doesnt live up to it.

I def agree that the UI is horrid, I have always hated the "Its Xmass click me" buttons and tabs all over KR games.

The combat control I personally found to be intuitive and far easier to learn than TERA.

As far as the grind, it took me a while to get to 21 so I'm sure its real, but the amount of in depth systems the game has and mini games makes it fun. I played Ashen Empires to lvl 105 so nothing will ever really be a grind compared to that (in my mind anyways).

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    edited February 2016
    JJ82 said:
    The game is beautiful, large and seems to offer a great deal of things to do.

Unfortunately it is defeated by a bland story, grindy quests, horrible UI, terrible controls that I spent 20 minutes on trying to keybind in a way that didnt blow chunks and it still felt awkward, twitch combat that doesnt stand up to even older action based MMOs like Vindictus, open world PvP end game which vastly limits gameplay choices, massive Korean MMO grind and what is clearly going to be a P2W shop.

Another MMO that had so much potential and doesnt live up to it.
    uh sort of?

I don't know of one mmo that doesn't have "grindy quests"; at least from WoW onward. And for the most part, one can decide not to do the quests though, unfortunately, some of them do give you useful rewards.

I don't find the controls terrible at all. The terrible thing is that, though you can place your skills on your hotbar instead of choosing to activate them via keyboard and mouse, it has been noted that any abilities done from your keyboard have some sort of efficacy penalty. I haven't noticed this but some have noted the skills mention it.

Still, certain skills can be easily activated by the push of one key.

One can argue the open world end game vastly increases game play choices as it opens up the game to politics, heroes, rogues and more of a community and "living world".

And there are many people who want more grindy games as they are more interested in "doing things" than running around from npc to npc.

The other "terrible thing" would be lack of group things to do. Oh sure there are group things but not a lot as of yet.

Also the UI can be changed.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Sovrath said:

I don't find the controls terrible at all. The terrible thing is that, though you can place your skills on your hotbar instead of choosing to activate them via keyboard and mouse, it has been noted that any abilities done from your keyboard have some sort of efficacy penalty. I haven't noticed this but some have noted the skills mention it.

It's worth to check the skill-menu anyways, because with some classes under "K" i found active skills available and ready to use that weren't by default on my action bar or otherwise documented and hence would have been overlooked.

What also irritated me was that the menu showed i.e. a basic skill and next to it the same skill in an enhanced version that had some passive attribute added to it.
    Like i.e. a basic melee strike and underneath it the same strike in an enhanced version that you could execute on the move or while dodging.
    Why not merging this to a single skill in first place, since you don't have to invest points into the enhanced skill and there is no reasonable skill progression to it anyway?

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    After maxing out a couple of classes on the Korean version, I strongly disagree with anyone who says this is not a better game than Archeage. Both games are interesting but flawed, but BDO is much more complex, immersive and satisfying on almost every level. The only area that I can think of in which Archeage is stronger is the free-form housing, but then again, that was also one of its most frustrating features at the same time (ie. land shortages).

In the end, BDO offers a very interesting, immersive world to get lost in for a long while, but it does end up feeling hollow at endgame, for various reasons.
  • kyse2kyse2 Member UncommonPosts: 32
    edited February 2016
    2 anyone saying the game is badly optimized needs to get a a new pc cuz it ran 60fps the hole time for me with max gfx cant say that with bns thats for sure lol
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    kyse2 said:
    2 anyone saying the game is badly optimized needs to get a a new pc cuz it ran 60fps the hole time for me with max gfx cant say that with bns thats for sure lol
    Every statement about fps is irrelevant unless it includes graphic settings and resolution.

• GlondoGlondo Member CommonPosts: 1
    From my view this was one of the smoothest starts of an MMO I played so far. I experienced not a single crash or waiting line. After my wife showed me the game (as a gentlemen I let her play on our better PC ^^) I feared that I would have problems on my AMD Phenom II X2 550 System but I was positively surprised. We are no fans of endgame raids anyway so the lack of being forced to spend hours to get some end game gear is a big plus on our side. I love the "simulator" aspect of the economic system - of course that's not reinventing the wheel but it seperates BDO from most of the other MMOs out there. Additionally the character customization possibilities and the housing system are great for the roleplaying community. As long time "Second Life" players (*dodging the stones being thrown at me*) the possibility to have great roleplay adds more value to the game than any raid dungeon could do.

On the downside there are still many (German) translations missing or wrong and especially for roleplaying the amount of text possible in a single chat block could be bigger. As a player with western background I also find the ridiculously high amounts of ingame money a little confusing. There are only silver coins (that can be exchanged into gold ingots for saving weight) and later in the game it could be a little annoying if you want to see if some gear in the auction house costs millions or billions ^^
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited February 2016
    And then there's also the fact that property (housing) in BDO isn't in limited quantity, and you won't have to play non stop so you can get your little garden first before all the no lifers grab them all. I loved AA during the beta, and I've quit and asked a refund (which I got) after release because there was no way to find even a single small garden spot since they were all taken by the no-lifers.

No lifers AND bots to be fair. But yes, that and a system that said I had to keep paying for life to keep my house was one of the major turnoffs that kept me from getting invested in AA.

I'm firmly on the side of those who prefer how BDO does things.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2016
    And for world PvP, you have the bounty hunter system:
    1. Player A goes to a Bounty Hunter NPC
      • Some of these NPCs need to be in Towns without guards.
      • Setting a Bounty has a fixed silver price.
      • Costs to set bounty will in-/decrease based on Karma amount of target player; the lower the Karma, the cheaper the bounty initiation and vice versa
      • The Target needs to be at PvP Level.
      • Various checks will be in place to prevent abuse.
        • Examples
          • Can't place bounty with same family
          • Limitation to max bounties per target / time
          • Limitation on max bounties a player can set / time

2. Once the Bounty is in place, other players will be able to attack the Target outside of Safe Zones.
      • You have to flag to attack the Target, but you do not lose Karma.
      • Player A cannot claim the Bounty.
      • Player A will lose Karma normally for attacking the Target.
      • Bounties expire after X days if they are not completed.
      • The Target does not lose Karma for killing their attacker.

3. When the Target is killed the Bounty is removed.
      • Who ever lands the killing blow can loot a Bounty Hunter Seal.
      • Bounty Hunter Seals can be exchanged for Karma, title or other possible benefits.
      • Bounty Hunter Seals are character bound.
    BDO protects players better from mindless killing and griefing while still allowing open world PvP and forcuses on meaninful PvP rather than ganking.

And then there's also the fact that property (housing) in BDO isn't in limited quantity, and you won't have to play non stop so you can get your little garden first before all the no lifers grab them all. I loved AA during the beta, and I've quit and asked a refund (which I got) after release because there was no way to find even a single small garden spot since they were all taken by the no-lifers.
    Case 1
    1) player A whispers player C
    2) player C kills player A
    3) player A and C split the bounty

Case 2
    1) via alts, players are killing each other to farm bounties

Case 3
    1) player A trolls player B by placing a bounty on him over and over

Note: If there is no monetary or otherwise transferable reward for killing wanted target, I doubt there the incentive in such system.

I do not think there ever existed a bounty sytem in the multiplayer video game that actually worked - providing enough incentive to engage in the system while being non-exploitable.

Also did they remove housing limits? I recall reading that house space, despite being instanced is still limited.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    Torval said:
    Scot said:
    It does seem many players believed the hype, we have been doing this for over 16 years (if not back then on this site). Will I be able to come back here in ten years time and still see seasoned players who believed the hype?

From what I have read BDO is good at what the devs aimed for and poor at everything else, not really a surprise.

Hopefully I will not see you on the next hype train, but will see you standing in the train waiting room. Calmly assessing what has come out, not games that have not come out/been localised etc.
    What do you people care if someone likes to ride the new game train every release? And by you people I mean you people... who criticize every new game that comes out and anyone who likes it.

If someone plops $30/50/100 down without thinking it through and then complains about it, then that's their problem. I have no sympathy. But implying that anyone who enjoys the game shouldn't get excited is just messed up.

Why do I have to come back in 10 years and still be excited about the game? Why do I even have to like it 10 years from now? I'm living in the now. Now I'm interested in it. Now I feel like playing it. What happened then or will happen 6 months or 10 years from now doesn't really matter where gaming is concerned.

Firstly for all those people who have said they don't make the mistake of buying before they see what they are getting. Thanks, it is good to know more people are using their heads than I thought.

I think you will find Torval that I don't criticize every new game that's released. The reason I know that's the case is I find out very little about games before they are released so know hardly anything about them to comment on.

Taking BDO as an example, most of my information came from this thread, hardly a font of knowledge. After launch, if I decided not to play after extensive research I would be able to say why, but I hardly ever even post about that.

My post here has been about the hype, which is always super inflated, we know it is, yet so many still believe. BDO's degree of hype is no worse or better than any other release I can think of.

The length of time I was suggesting people wait until they decided to make up their mind was until launch, not ten years time. :)

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    "The thing is that MMO players are looking for "the next great thing", the game that will finally propel the genre forward past the current era that lays in the shadow of World of Warcraft. Every game coming down the pipe is hyped to such a degree that it's been impossible to measure up to the expectations of a starving community."

I don't feel this way at all. I mean seriously was WoW THAT amazing?

I feel like all games have brought some great stuff to the table, I think people need to realize these are just games, not "Virtual Worlds That Have Every Feature We Want and None That We Do Not And Will Consume My Very Being For All Eternity"
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • magnuscallidusmagnuscallidus Member UncommonPosts: 1
    it is correct to say that the game has not yet reached its final stage. It has many flaws. But it isn't even released. So wait for release, and for the first patches, and the following. I think Daum games will work on the game.