Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO Closed Beta Two Ignites the Community - Black Desert Online at MMORPG.com

Comments

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Where do my f****g comments keep going? Twice I have posted in this article and cant see the comments anywhere..
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    First off I did not see anything in the cash shop that was P2W so everyone just drop that a lets talk about the real issues. Yes the pets loot and let you know if a bad guy is close and some of the outfits may give you a bit of something... but the real issue is the cost!!! Way to high!!!! Oh yeah just a FYI for all the P2W peeps the best gear in the game is crafted!!

My big problem with this CBT over the last one was how poorly it ran! My PC is a i7 4790K with a gtx980ti and could not run it at 4K because I only got 10 to 15 FPS, had to drop it to 1400p to get 30+ FPS. Also the dumb down a lot of the quests! Like the first mobs you kill in the game is only 2 now when before it was 10 or 12. I had quest that had me kill just 1 mob.... WTF is that Drum please dont dumb the game down because peeps bitch about the grind!!! All MMOs have grind it's part of the game so lets move on. There are some real problems with the game right now and there is only a week to fix them... The first CBT was better so I do hope what we had this weekend was not a taste of what is to come.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Dr.Nicktu said:
    First off I did not see anything in the cash shop that was P2W so everyone just drop that a lets talk about the real issues. Yes the pets loot and let you know if a bad guy is close and some of the outfits may give you a bit of something... but the real issue is the cost!!! Way to high!!!! Oh yeah just a FYI for all the P2W peeps the best gear in the game is crafted!!

My big problem with this CBT over the last one was how poorly it ran! My PC is a i7 4790K with a gtx980ti and could not run it at 4K because I only got 10 to 15 FPS, had to drop it to 1400p to get 30+ FPS. Also the dumb down a lot of the quests! Like the first mobs you kill in the game is only 2 now when before it was 10 or 12. I had quest that had me kill just 1 mob.... WTF is that Drum please dont dumb the game down because peeps bitch about the grind!!! All MMOs have grind it's part of the game so lets move on. There are some real problems with the game right now and there is only a week to fix them... The first CBT was better so I do hope what we had this weekend was not a taste of what is to come.

Damn, I was planning on buying pretty much the same set up, except without the 4k screen. I have an i5-3570K and a gtx760 and had to drop to medium settings to get about 60fps; was hoping to run BDO on high with the i7 and gtx980ti.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited February 2016
    Sainguin said:
    Ya know, one complaint I'm amazed I haven't seen more of: the voice acting is so bad it hurts.

Like really, really bad. The Mayor of the first village, is so obviously a young man trying to sound like an old man that it's almost comical but ends up being pathetic.

I'm 100% certain they just went around the office and grabbed random staff to voice act the entire game.
    Haha, I agree.  I was laughing out loud while playing.  Luckily voice acting is about # 264 of important things in large virtual world MMO's.

I honestly don't know what people think they are going to get in MMO's.  The upcoming selection is very limited.  Especially for MMO's with a budget and the ability to release anything on a reasonable timeline.  Also MMO's with any sandbox features are very limited.  We can cry about BDO but we need to be realistic about the state of the genre as we complain.  You all may be waiting a very long time for a better western virtual world type MMO.

To Kano below:  Good luck participating in the siege system solo unguilded.
  • breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374
    edited February 2016
    DMKano said:
    Torval said:
    DMKano said:
    Gorwe said:
    So, what's so hot about this game? The fact it's a pseudo sandbox?
    It's new.
    It's pretty.
    It's $30.
    It's solo players dream come true.
    It's easy.
    There's a lot to do without having to rely on anyone else.
    You know you keep saying this, but you're offbase here. ESO and SWTOR are a soloer's game. BDO is very solo friendly but in the end it's a group focused pvp game. It's no more solo friendly than Rift, EQ2, WoW, Wildstar, or most other mmos.

OK - hehe. Can we come back to this several months post launch and see about end game?

All lies, even in endgame i haz can kill DMKano SOLO i haz no need otherz.

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Hi, guys! This is your token female gamer here. Here's how you avoid paying $30 for costume armor in the cash shop.

There are hella cool armor sets to CRAFT. You make them. It takes work. Either to make them, or to make the silver to buy them from the marketplace, or to charm them from a guildy, which the way you whine might be a stretch.

There are rare boss armor sets. They are really rare, hard to upgrade, but look very cool.

There are costumes you can buy from the luxury vendor in game with silver, but you need to have high skill in particular life skills to be able to equip them.

I'd tell you that you could quit whining now, but boy, that never works.

It's a deep, interesting game. If your worst complaint is the high cost of cosmetics (monacle PTSD from Eve? Wtf?) you are really reaching for something to complain about.

This is the B2P model. Buy the game, and frilly bits and conveniences are in the shop. It's been a raging success in the west since LOTRO, it's not an "Asian" thang. I live in Boston, I saw it turn Turbine around.

You not liking it doesn't make it bad. It makes it something that doesn't fit your budget and lifestyle. It's a place in your life you can't torrent something you can't afford. Sucks to be you -- you'll live without the lingerie.

It'd look better on me anyway.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    DMKano said:

Are you ok?

Not sure what that rant is about - I've played it to 50+ already. 

The previous Korean CBT1 was a far superior game, you didn't change my mind, sorry.
    I am fine how are you?

What level may I ask? 55

So why did you quit? To hard or soft?
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,974
    It does seem many players believed the hype, we have been doing this for over 16 years (if not back then on this site). Will I be able to come back here in ten years time and still see seasoned players who believed the hype?

From what I have read BDO is good at what the devs aimed for and poor at everything else, not really a surprise.

Hopefully I will not see you on the next hype train, but will see you standing in the train waiting room. Calmly assessing what has come out, not games that have not come out/been localised etc.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Scot said:
    It does seem many players believed the hype, we have been doing this for over 16 years (if not back then on this site). Will I be able to come back here in ten years time and still see seasoned players who believed the hype?

From what I have read BDO is good at what the devs aimed for and poor at everything else, not really a surprise.

Hopefully I will not see you on the next hype train, but will see you standing in the train waiting room. Calmly assessing what has come out, not games that have not come out/been localised etc.

Oh, I m extremely glad I got a key. I would have been very upset if I paid for this easy mode pve , part simulator, part MMO, wannabe sandbox, I think it s trying to be.
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Eh, 30 bucks for a costume but I don't have to pay a subscription. I'm actually okay with this.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Scot said:

Personally, I haven't paid a cent for the game before I actually got beta access.
    I purchased AFTER trying and liking it.

And I bet I'm not the only one here.

Same here. Got interested did research. Tried CB was NOT impressed first day. Hate on it. Gave it a fair shake second go through in sandbox elements and really liked it so much I bought it.

Not everyone is going to like it. Many games to play so pick what you are interested in and play them instead.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Scot said:

Personally, I haven't paid a cent for the game before I actually got beta access.

Same boat, I actually hated it when I tried the RU version and was like "hype for nothing, not buying this game", but got a key, took my time and tried to understand the game and now looking forward to the release
  • marcjt20marcjt20 Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Herase said:
    Scot said:

Same boat, I actually hated it when I tried the RU version and was like "hype for nothing, not buying this game", but got a key, took my time and tried to understand the game and now looking forward to the release

I did the same thing, the first Beta I wasnt impressed but then I played this last one and found it worth atleast giving a try and pre-ordered. We will see how it goes, I definitely dont have the play time I use to with work and all, but I hope to atleast play catch up and have fun with my friends. 
  • odinthor021odinthor021 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Well there has been an adjustment to CS items check the site forums.
    I am not sure why there is all this talk about end game, Black Desert is an opened ended living world. You want end game and mindless repetition and good pvp action go play BnS that's a fatal attraction. With Black Desert you have to grow with the world and interact with it's inhabitants.
    One of the nicest things about this game is that it is not play to win from CS items
    I hope that with it's success it can also grow as a game with new content in the future, but that remains to be seen.
    I enjoyed every minute of it and aside from some common errors found in most games it is a very engaging story wise, quest wise and adventure wise much in the same way EQ2 was and actually still is today.
  • evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    How about you actually do some proper research and play the game before writing an article, Suzie?

Or is just guessing about the facts and providing your opinion what passes as journalism these days?
  • bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679
    I think it is also important to note that there was a poll early on before CBT1, where the player's essentially voted to make the game more grindy.

In Korea, it takes about 8hrs to hit level 50, in the NA/EU version it now takes 28hrs. They've increased experienced required to level by 350% for the Western audience, because they listened to a few early adopters.

What those people don't realize though is that 50-60 takes in the region of 1,000hrs in Korea, but here it is going to take 3,500hrs, making it the longest grind in any MMO ever!

And there is no level cap, so for decades people have complained about Korean grinders, but for once, we actually have a game in the West with a worse grind than anywhere else in the world because Western players asked for it.
  • KiryiKiryi Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I was dubious about the game when I played in CBT1 (won a key), once the weekend ended and it stuck with me, I knew I had to get a package. This hasn't changed with CBT2.
    I enjoy the wandering, the scenery, the fishing, boats, the gathering. I ping ponged around 3 different classes enjoying each of them for what they are.
    Personally, I've noticed I've hit a stage in my MMO playing where action doesn't mean enjoyment, there needs to be a balance. I've enjoyed ESO very much where I don't feel like I'm constantly having to deal with mobs, there's more to the game than this.
    I'll be using my pearls on housing stuff. I DO wish the prices were a little more moderate by a reduction of...say, maybe 20-30%? When I look at the prices I go = ouch. Whereas in other B2P games like GW2 or ESO, I generally do not. I consider, do I want to spend my $$ on that, does it look/appear/cool?
    Point is, I enjoyed my time in BDO's CBTs. I want to play today, right now. My Valkyrie is ready. :D
  • nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I had a LOT of fun! I'm a bit concerned at the seeming lack of dungeons and other PvE content. I will still be playing it, though, and will make a more educated assessment when I reach endgame.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288

Gdemami said:

I'm just going to assume you made this comment in good faith and reply in the same manner... So, yes $30 is more than I have ever paid for a costume in a video game. No, it isn't that I can afford it, I have a disposable income but I don't ever want to feel like I've been taken advantage of.

Daum is walking a fine line here... the costumes are multi pieced so you can mix an match costume pieces (if you don't mind spending $100 on 3 costumes) and that does imo raise the value of a costume. Games like ESO charge as much as $25 for a single costume which is only a skin... so $30 isn't that big of a stretch for BDO's costumes.

Hope that clarified my remark.

Well, you didn't elaborate the "ridiculous" part in any way, you even acknowledged yourself the price is about average. 

Instead, you are adding even more weird statements - "being taken advantage of". How is someone taking an advantage of you by selling something you are not able to afford(willing to pay), probably not even interested in buying at all? 

Does mere existence of luxury goods "take advantage" of you...?

That's mind boggling...

ri·dic·u·lous. 1.deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd.

I meant it as is defined above.

And the rest was to simply explain my thought process about the entire issue. But my very first reaction to $30+ dollars for a costume is... "how ridiculous" *see above definition.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    And I used the wording "feel like I'm being taken advantage of" therefore I am allowed plenty of latitude since I am speaking of my "feelings" and not yours...
  • utvetteguyutvetteguy Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Not every game has to follow the WoW formula! Let BDO rise!
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    This game isn't close to being P2W, Hyutei and everyone else, is talking out of their backside. The prices are a bit extreme for cosmetic items but they are COSMETIC, you don't need them. If someone wants to pay a million dollars for a hat, more power to them, that doesn't effect me in the least. People are bashing the game simply because its Korean, claiming its AA 2.0, with no facts. Haters gonna hate.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Not every game has to follow the WoW formula! Let BDO rise!
    If a game follows the WOW formula it is "clone no.23879" and people complain about it.
    If a game actually takes a new approach here and there, it's "too far from home for me" and people complain about it.

This genre's playerbase is crying for a change and if some game finally provides a change, nobody can get used to it.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    The game is beautiful, large and seems to offer a great deal of things to do.

Unfortunately it is defeated by a bland story, grindy quests, horrible UI, terrible controls that I spent 20 minutes on trying to keybind in a way that didnt blow chunks and it still felt awkward, twitch combat that doesnt stand up to even older action based MMOs like Vindictus, open world PvP end game which vastly limits gameplay choices, massive Korean MMO grind and what is clearly going to be a P2W shop.

Another MMO that had so much potential and doesnt live up to it.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• ToxicTripsToxicTrips Member UncommonPosts: 2

Distopia said:

Much like SWG I wouldn't call BDO a true Sandbox, I think it does highlight why many actual sandboxes do not gain much traction in this genre. In a Sandbox 90% of the game is where you decide to place your efforts. Especially in terms of "endgame"...

It's about building a community, for either roleplay, PVP, town building, commerce. Etc.. or all of the above. Which is the ideal approach. IE roleplay building a town, filling it with citizens, those citizens finding their place in it (fighters, crafters, merchants, gatherers, etc..), defending it, expanding it, and holding on to it. That's the game, and it can be very compelling with the right type of players.

So to say a game like this has no "endgame" I just find a little funny, as to me it's true endgame, as it's wide open, and built for it, that's what all of these systems are for. It's not just a gear treadmill like so many games are in this genre.

A perfect example of BDO. I think a lot of people do not understand that.