Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wow .. you can't get more P2W than Eve

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I think people who dont like p2w should just play a different game

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• wickymageewickymagee Member UncommonPosts: 44
    I can almost guarantee that within a week this guy will be station camped wherever he goes.  EVE players, as a whole, are not known for having great tolerance towards people who think they're above everyone else and will take every single available opportunity to make that guy regret he spend that much money.

Personally I don't have a problem with this guy, it's his money and he's free to spend it how he chooses and as others have mentioned having skill 5 doesn't mean much if EVE if you don't know how to use it.  What is a bigger factor for success in EVE is having lots of people to fleet with; it's incredibly hard to do anything by yourself.  If this guy doesn't have a lot of friends he's not going to get to play this character very often.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Gdemami said:
    So you have no objection to p2w just because a smart guy can beat some less smart guy even if the less smart guy spend money? Or a smart guy can beat a less smart guy faster if the smart guy spend money? Got it!
    Nope, because there is no such thing as "P2W"...
    so 

a) you have no problem players can spend lots of money to buy skill points?

and 

b) you don't call buying skill points with real money p2w? What do you call it? whales-friendly-skill-system?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Hatefull said:
    http://massivelyop.com/2016/02/15/eve-player-uses-28000-of-skill-injectors-to-create-max-character/

"A bizarre twist on that story has since emerged when another player named IronBank created a brand-new character and used around $28,000 worth of injectors to max out every possible skill he could acquire to level 5. A total of around 2,846 injectors were used to boost the new character up to 473,344,000 skill points that would normally take over 20 years of skill training time to acquire. Those injectors are currently worth over 1.7 trillion ISK or about 1,423 PLEX, which would currently cost between $21,161 and $28,446 to buy with cash."

Is this the ultimate p2w or what?
    Anyone that actually plays Eve for more than 10 minutes knows this means nothing.  Other than, this dude has more money than sense.  You can buy a all the skills you want, even buy a titan, you will still get owned.  
    Anyway, got anything else?  this is a non-point.

Ok. How about this then for an 'I win button'?

A top-of-the-range, officer fitted Cynabal, with top-of-the-range implants, with a character with purchased maxed out skills, with a cloak in low sec - preying on lone players.

As soon as the Cynabal gets distroyed, just purchase a new one for real life money.

This is called 'pay-to-win'.
    Have you ever seen this situation occur? I never have, but if a regular occurrence somewhere in null sec please share because I'll want to go meet this person for a bit of "1 on 1"  ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

SEANMCAD said:
    That is the interesting question.

Do people who don't like p2w in general skip Eve?

Or 

Do some who don't like p2w ignore Eve's p2w aspects?
    Kyleran said:
    Quizzical said:
    One of the goals of game developers is to get whales to pay huge amounts of money without messing things up for all of the non-whales.  So someone paid a lot, yes, but did he win anything?
    The whales receive 20 years worth of skill points. I assume that is not nothing in Eve.
    It certainly is "something" but its by no means everything. (or even the most important thing.)

So much more than SPs goes into "winning" EVE, heck I should know since I've been winning in EVE for so long.
    No offense meant, Mr Kyleran, but it's quite ironic and therefore amusing to see you defend mechanics you repeatedly bashed in other games just because they are now in EvE.
    There's only one god, and his name is EvE Online... ;)
    Wait, what? I've spent most of the thread trying to convince folks there is no P2W here, I've never said this or any other game doesn't have P2A, and I actually don't believe items like exp boosters are P2W.

Where is the inconsistency in my position?  I've only stated one title in particular has P2W, Runes of Magic, and heck, I don't even think SC's ship selling program is P2W. (definitely an advantage, especially in the early game)

I'm not sure I even believe there is a "win" condition in MMORPG's, especially in a title such as EVE, so where exactly is all this bashing of other titles I've done regarding P2W that I've done or been inconsistent about.

BTW, I believe the proper honorific for demi-gods is "Lord", not "Mr" (makes me sound like a banker)

B)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited February 2016
    Kyleran said:

Wait, what? I've spent most of the thread trying to convince folks there is no P2W here, I've never said this or any other game doesn't have P2A, and I actually don't believe items like exp boosters are P2W.

Where is the inconsistency in my position?  I've only stated one title in particular has P2W, Runes of Magic, and heck, I don't even think SC's ship selling program is P2W. (definitely an advantage, especially in the early game)

I'm not sure I even believe there is a "win" condition in MMORPG's, especially in a title such as EVE, so where exactly is all this bashing of other titles I've done regarding P2W that I've done or been inconsistent about.

BTW, I believe the proper honorific for demi-gods is "Lord", not "Mr" (makes me sound like a banker)

Great .. so you have no problem with cash shop in MMOs, since p2w simply does not exist for you in all games but one?

BTW, you do know that most here do not take the position that there is no p2w except one game?

PsYcHoGBR said:
    Player A has been playing one week and player B has been playing one week. Player B decides to buy skill injectors to fly a T3 fully geared frigate and goes up against player A in a T1 version of same frigate geared up to his one week training. Sure this isn't P2W its all about how skilled they are as a pilot ROFL. 
    Player B made a terrible mistake, he should have 3 friends in T3 ships with him to crush his opponent.

But sure, set up hyperbolic situations to prove your point. :p

edited February 2016

SEANMCAD said:

Or 

good point.

it depends on gaming objectives and personalities.

for example, I dont care at all whatsoever what other people are doing in my game so long as they dont affect my game play directly. (why do I play MMOs? well mostly because of depth of game play)

there are others however that even when the game play of others do no affect them in anyway or ways that take several layers of extrapolation to find, they are STILL concerned about what other people are doing like a neighboor watching others neighboors every move.

So the short answer is if it doesnt affect your game play stay, if it does move on because there are a lot of games out there these days not reason to stick with one you are unhappy with

SEANMCAD said:

SEANMCAD said:

Or 

good point.

it depends on gaming objectives and personalities.

for example, I dont care at all whatsoever what other people are doing in my game so long as they dont affect my game play directly. (why do I play MMOs? well mostly because of depth of game play)

there are others however that even when the game play of others do no affect them in anyway or ways that take several layers of extrapolation to find, they are STILL concerned about what other people are doing like a neighboor watching others neighboors ever move.

So the short answer is if it doesnt affect your game play stay, if it does move on because there are a lot of games out there these days not reason to stick with one you are unhappy with
    I think i have the same philosophy.

When i play solo, i wouldn't care less if a game is p2w by someone's definition since it does not impact my gameplay. However, i do want to point out that i am consistent in my position to all games.

I do not play Eve because i think the game is boring. The fact that it is p2w (by some definition) does not concern me. 
    Kyleran said:

Great .. so you have no problem with cash shop in MMOs, since p2w simply does not exist for you in all games but one?

BTW, you do know that most here do not take the position that there is no p2w except one game?

Well I do know many here are incorrect most of the time in their understanding about most everything, including the situation here.

No, I'm not saying P2W only occurs in one game, just saying I've only run square into it one time.

Since then I've learned to become fairly adept at totally avoiding games with the more onerous cash shop models out there.  I don't even feel AA's cash shop is "P2W", but most would disagree with me due to differing definitions of advantage vs win.

And no, I don't care for cash shop games, not sure whats wrong with all you who continue to support this model, if it were up to me I'd pay a 50.00 fee and be done with it.  But Dev's are smart, they know people will pay them extra cash, heck CCP does it, but I only give them my 6 annual sub fees, nothing else in their cash shop or services. (though extractors are looking like a possiblity)

I think i have the same philosophy.

When i play solo, i wouldn't care less if a game is p2w by someone's definition since it does not impact my gameplay. However, i do want to point out that i am consistent in my position to all games.

I do not play Eve because i think the game is boring. The fact that it is p2w (by some definition) does not concern me. 
    wait what??????????? you dont even play the game? ok you are one of those people. nevermind

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2016
    so 

a) you have no problem players can spend lots of money to buy skill points?

and 

b) you don't call buying skill points with real money p2w? What do you call it? whales-friendly-skill-system?
    a) Why would I? It is not my money...

b) An option - I can get SP via real time training, ISK or PLEX exchange.
    Kyleran said:

And no, I don't care for cash shop games, not sure whats wrong with all you who continue to support this model, if it were up to me I'd pay a 50.00 fee and be done with it.  But Dev's are smart, they know people will pay them extra cash, heck CCP does it, but I only give them my 6 annual sub fees, nothing else in their cash shop or services. (though extractors are looking like a possiblity)

wait ... so you don't care for cash shop games .. but you are ok with buying skill points in Eve. Is that what you are telling me?

And what does "i only give them my 6 annual sub fees" have to do with anything? You can ignore cash shops too. I play MMOs and "i only give them NOTHING" .. you can do that too .. and make the cash shop go away in other games, just like you did in Eve.

Kyleran said:

wait ... so you don't care for cash shop games .. but you are ok with buying skill points in Eve. Is that what you are telling me?

And what does "i only give them my 6 annual sub fees" have to do with anything? You can ignore cash shops too. I play MMOs and "i only give them NOTHING" .. you can do that too .. and make the cash shop go away in other games, just like you did in Eve.

I was thinking of buying some extractors today.... but with ISK earned in game, not cash.

Am I OK with it? No, not really, but there's no option really, play EVE or play nothing, so far the former option is more appealing than the latter.

Kyleran said:

Am I OK with it? No, not really, but there's no option really, play EVE or play nothing, so far the former option is more appealing than the latter.

What do you mean by "there is no option". Play Eve or play nothing .. these are TWO options.

You can also play single player games, watch tv, anime, movies, read novels ..... 

If you still play Eve, then CLEARLY you can tolerate others buying skill points with real money in, at least one, game. 
  • SoarlozerSoarlozer Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Kyleran said:

What do you mean by "there is no option". Play Eve or play nothing .. these are TWO options.

You can also play single player games, watch tv, anime, movies, read novels ..... 

If you still play Eve, then CLEARLY you can tolerate others buying skill points with real money in, at least one, game. 
    There is nothing like Eve for him to play. He doesn't like that aspect of it but its not worth quitting over.

He clearly states he would rather spend money one time for a game rather than a bunch of micro transactions. He still stands by it by using in game currency and not using money to purchase things in the game.
    Soarlozer said:

He clearly states he would rather spend money one time for a game rather than a bunch of micro transactions. He still stands by it by using in game currency and not using money to purchase things in the game.
    He also states that he is not ok big whales can buy skill points at will with $$$. Apparently he can tolerate it enough not to switch to some other hobby while he is "not ok" with it. 
    edited February 2016
    Soarlozer said:

He also states that he is not ok big whales can buy skill points at will with $$$. Apparently he can tolerate it enough not to switch to some other hobby while he is "not ok" with it. 
    I did say early in the thread I don't feel it gains a whale any great advantage, especially against a long time player like me.

I also concede it gives a large advantage if two new players start out and one uses injectors while one doesn't, but the advantage diminishes strongly with the passing of time.

Additionally, the advantage is only if we consider even odds situation, which can easily be overcome with a reasonable increase in numbers, (2 vs 1 even) and as we say, if ever you find yourself in a fair fight, you've done something very wrong.

Kyleran said:
    Soarlozer said:

I did say early in the thread I don't feel it gains a whale any great advantage, especially against a long time player like me.

I also concede it gives a large advantage if two new players start out and one uses injectors while one doesn't, but the advantage diminishes strongly with the passing of time.

Additionally, the advantage is only if we consider even odds situation, which can easily be overcome with a reasonable increase in numbers, (2 vs 1 even) and as we say, if ever you find yourself in a fair fight, you've done something very wrong.
    Yes.

So you are ok with p2w as long as the advantage is small. That is what you are saying. So why do you say "you are not ok with it"? That is clearly not what you imply.

Apparently you have not problem with the concept of p2w. It is just a matter of degree. 
  • Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173
    edited February 2016
    Kyleran said:
    Soarlozer said:

Who are you kidding, you know the game and the majority of this thread have never done more than quit after not knowing how to activate the acceleration gate on that starter mission.

This is a blessing to players like you.

Plenty of unskilled pilots jacking up their skills and undocking in dreadnaughts?  yes please. Their tears now fund the game better...yes please.  A way to middle out and smooth out the massive gaps in player SP so there are more people able to pilot more expensive stuff?  FCK YES.

So now fleets have less maulus/vigil spam because half the players have played only a year and cant properly fit something expensive, at least not well enough to warrant undocking it and risking that loss.

I do love these kinds of threads on 3rd party sites.  You really cant just make a thread like this about EVE with the mindset its a mmorpg...because it isn't...its nothing like a MMORPG....

Paying to win doesn't exist.  Paying to pad someone elses killmails exists in the highest form however.

And that's what makes EVE so damn unique and fantastic.  One player doesn't mean shit in eve (unless intel), ten players don't either, unless extremely well organized and experienced (the kind you cant train or buy)  What matters in EVE is the deeply woven political structure, intel, fleets, intel, and lets not forget intel.

Paying to win doesn't exist.  Paying to pad someone elses killmails exists in the highest form however.

And that's what makes EVE so damn unique and fantastic.  

I guess you are ok with players be able to spend real world money to gain 20 years worth of skill points in Eve. Yeah, i am sure you don't want to call it p2w.

But at the end of the day, it is pretty clear that you can bypass certain parts of the game with money. 
  • uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258
    edited February 2016

But at the end of the day, it is pretty clear that you can bypass certain parts of the game with money. 
    You can and always could, never heard of plex? Or the character bazaar which essentially allowed you to buy other people's characters?

And you can't "realistically" buy 20 year worth of the skills unless you have 60k USD flying around. The guy who did it is the owner of an isk betting site and spent around 1.8 trillion isk buying these. He even did it live on a stream. 

Also, a character with every single skill in Eve is absolutely pointless and he just did this for show.
    edited February 2016

I guess you are ok with players be able to spend real world money to gain 20 years worth of skill points in Eve. Yeah, i am sure you don't want to call it p2w.

You can't name many MMORPGs where this. hasn't always been true.

And I am OK with that.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Kyleran said:

You can't name many MMORPGs where this. hasn't always been true.

And I am OK with that.

Even if they all do it, it is still P2W....