Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Korean Version to Begin IP Blocking with NA/EU Release

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageKorean Version to Begin IP Blocking with NA/EU Release

Daum has announced that IP blocks will be put in place for the Korean version of Black Desert Online with the release of the North American and European version of the game on March 3rd.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475
    All this IP blocks make no sense. They only limit their own incomes.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    "Buy game, or no play for you!"
  • DracogeekDracogeek Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I believe a lot of times they do ip blocking, it's either licensing or legal issues. Some companies don't want to deal with the economic laws of other countries.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Kiyoris said:

This is what it's about obviously.  Can't say I blame them since they decided to go B2P in NA, they would be fools not to IP block.
    they IP block a lot of global F2P mmos too. And coincidentially they tend to shut down in Korea, because due to IP block, the population is tiny.

• KhaoslightKhaoslight Member UncommonPosts: 36
    People will just circumvent it with VPN, already a topic on fan sites and youtube vid explaining how.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    RIP everyone who's been playing the KR release for the last year.

Part of me is glad I haven't.
    People will just circumvent it with VPN, already a topic on fan sites and youtube vid explaining how.

Well unless I'm missing something, you will have to pay a monthly fee for a quality VPN to maintain a decent ping and bandwidth.  If you do the math it will cost you more to play the F2P KR version than to just buy the NA version.

Again, unless I'm missing something and there's a free quality VPN service.
    Think WTFast went free 6mo ago, VPNGate and SoftEther not to sure.

Just need the vpn to click on the start button to bypass the block, and before you choose a channel, close it and play with your own internet.

Google and Youtube along with fan sites are your friend.

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

Well unless I'm missing something, you will have to pay a monthly fee for a quality VPN to maintain a decent ping and bandwidth.  If you do the math it will cost you more to play the F2P KR version than to just buy the NA version.

Just need the vpn to click on the start button to bypass the block, and before you choose a channel, close it and play
    with your own internet.

WTFast is now subscription pay. There is a free trial, but I believe it is time limited.

https://www.wtfast.com/Subscription/Index/new

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

I stand corrected, thank you GetzMango :+1:

And yea, I agree DirtyDozen, it'll weed out people.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    ofc they are, after 2 years they wanna sell it in the west too.
    people knowing this is 100% p2w wopn't help on selling it over here.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    edited February 2016
    Their IP blocking is stupid.

Mid-eastern/arab countries are all blocked.
    South africa, blocked.
    Turkey.
    Whole SEA region.
    Here's a funny part aka most idiotic, Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania all are redirected to RU server despite all of those countries do not speak Russian.
    South America....all blocked.
    Post edited by yaminsux on
  • kyse2kyse2 Member UncommonPosts: 32
    i wish they would just stop letting people play games that r not in NA/EU before they come here all they r doing is letting the market burn out or learn they dont like said game before it comes here :P
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Just need the vpn to click on the start button to bypass the block, and before you choose a channel, close it and play with your own internet.

WTFast wouldn't help you with the IP block. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531

yaminsux said:
    Their IP blocking is stupid.

Mid-eastern/arab countries are all blocked.
    South africa, blocked.
    Turkey.
    Whole SEA region.
    Here's a funny part aka most idiotic, Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania all are redirected to RU server despite all of those countries do not speak Russian.
    South America....all blocked.
    They said they are blocking regions so the game would get published with a different publisher covering those specific regions. Middle east doesn't have any publishers and they're a huge market. I can't help but think someone lacks market knowledge in that department. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
    edited February 2016
    There are no good VNP that are free, because they need to make money for the massive bandwidth they need to reroute.

Large VPN services like HideMyAss and Avast, have as much traffic as a small internet exchange, that's not free, they pay a ton of money to get that bandwidth by connecting to real internet exchanges, and those exchanges ask money. If you want to get online as an entity without an ISP, you pay an internet exchange for bandwidth, that's what the NSA does, that's how they tap off the internet.

Some VPN that let you browse the internet are free, but they make up for that by spamming you with ads or viruses, they can't do when you play games.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited February 2016
    Since I'm in Seoul, I'm going to download it along with an English patch. I wonder if there will be many English-speaking guilds left, though.

Is it against the ToS to talk about VPNs for the purpose of getting around ip blocks here?

edited February 2016
    d_20 said:

Is it against the ToS to talk about VPNs for the purpose of getting around ip blocks here?
    In general terms it shouldn't be. Many governments recommend you use a VPN under a false flag if you connect to foreign internet exchanges and socialize with people, to conseil your identity. Including in games.

Many games also don't forbid it, it really depends on the game. I play Everquest with a VPN all the time, not because there is an ipblock, there isn't, I just prefer it that way, and there are no rules against it.

As long as it's about VPN in a broad sense, it's no problem I think.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Jonas_SG said:
    All this IP blocks make no sense. They only limit their own incomes.
    Well two reasons,different publishers who each want their fair share,if there are different publishers.None the less if Daum is handling in all regions,each division would have their own accounting.
    The other reason would be the Korean version if still holds true will have more content,more game,likely to sell DLC's to the NA audience,instead of giving them the actual game as it is in Korea.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I don't touch the internet without a VPN.  I can play any game in any region I want.

That being said, you start adding quite a bit of latency when you're playing games on the other side of the world through a VPN.  If you think the latency is bad without tunneling, then be prepared for a shock.  

It also works for games that release on a certain day.  I was playing Fallout 4 something like 24 hours before it came out in NA market.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Added latency can be an issue. But I've found that it does matter which vpn you use. And certain ones are better for certain countries than others, so you should research that before you buy.

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Kiyoris said:

This is what it's about obviously.  Can't say I blame them since they decided to go B2P in NA, they would be fools not to IP block.
    they IP block a lot of global F2P mmos too. And coincidentially they tend to shut down in Korea, because due to IP block, the population is tiny.

I can't argue any of that, I'm just pointing out that they need to close the option to NA players by IP blocking in order to force them to buy it if they want to play it.
    Except it's already been out there for a while. So they are cutting players off from their character they have put time and effort in to, maybe event spent cash on, and then telling them to buy it and start all over. Whoever thinks that a good idea raise your hand.