Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO idea

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    waynejr2 said:
    Grindalyx said:
    Reason i not posting my idea is i was hoping to get in touch with an actual developer who would like to talk about it with me. My idea is differant than the current MMO. I follow MMO's alot and haven't seen anything like it out there. It not your wow clone type MMO if that is what everyone is thinking.

Thanks for the input..

lol.  Game devs don't need your ideas.  They have plenty of their own that they can't even get into games they are working on.
    Yeh .. ideas are a dime a dozen.

Good games are a lot more about implementation, detailed design, than broad ideas. 
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    There's nothing you can do that can't be done
    Nothing you can sing that can't be sung
    Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game
    It's easy

Nothing you can make that can't be made
    No one you can save that can't be saved
    Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you in time
    It's easy
  • Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173

This is cute.  Someone has an idea for the next big mmorpg.  This only happens all the time.  No one is going to steal your idea.

Id have to dig it up but there was a pretty good article, actually several, about this sort of topic.

Developers working at an established company are more or less being paid to work on other peoples great idea, the compensation is more or less there to pay them for not working on their own great idea.

Of the great ideas floating around up there most wont get realized, many cant be for multiple reasons, the vast majority of these great ideas are great only in the mind of the creator.

I cant begin to tell you how many people have spilled their guts about their industry changing idea and it was flat out awful, or not really an idea or secret just an opinion as to what is good, and usually when it is a great idea....its a tiny cog in the great machine of a mmorpg where one cog can be fantastic but the game overall poor.

Bottom line your idea probably isn't all that good, its probably been thought of before and even attempted but deemed not worth the effort.  No one will steal your idea because every single person here, dev or not, has their own idea that will never be realized and think is better than your idea anyway.  Studios are far too busy trying to make their great ideas actually work and usually are not interested in takin in new ideas, found on a low traffic 3rd party forum.

Let me guess if I PM you for your idea youll want money for it too.

Hate to burst that bubble, far too many great ideas floating around far too few people looking to take ideas and make them reality.  Get yourself a team of people and investors.  If your idea really is all that groundbreaking and fantastic people will throw money at you and want to work with you, problem is youll eventually have to spill the beans.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    I don't know why the OP should listen to the nae-sayers here. But it is mildly entertaining reading.

Once upon a time....

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I admire that the OP is trying to get his idea some traction. Best of luck. Hope you get it done. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173
    edited February 2016
    I don't know why the OP should listen to the nae-sayers here. But it is mildly entertaining reading.

He shouldn't, but reality can be a cruel mistress.  He should know that, and have the expectation that he gets laughed as this "i have the best mmorpg idea ever but someone will steal is" is as common as dead mmorpgs.

Realistically, people are not willing to invest in safe bet mmorpgs anymore, let alone ground breaking ideas.  The genre is in serious decline.  If it was 2006 and this guy had a solid idea, and a masters degree in some form of programming or related industry skills from a reputable school...yeah id probably look for funding and keep my mouth shut....but those days are over.  Everyone has an idea. No one has the money to implement, or the time,  mmorpgs are the rust belt of the game industry, he can go from one nearly closed rotting steel mill to the next with his groundbreaking idea on how to shape steel, problem is the factories making it are closing down or moving on to greener pastures.

Real money is in mobile games, which are cheap to implement and don't require developers throwing their lives away to make.  That's where the talent is, that an MOBA games or other multiplayer small scale games.

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited February 2016
    Grindalyx said:
    I have an idea for a MMO  and was wondering if anyone knew were i could talk to someone about it and share my idea. If you do write send me a message.

Thanks
    You're about 8 years too late, unless you plan a kickstarter.

The MMO market is flooded and publishers have lost interest in it.
  • GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657
    You know just cause i don't want to go into detail about what my ideas are doesn't meen anyting. I never said it was the next great MMO idea. All i asked for was fi anyone knew anyone i could talk too. Plain and simple. I know the industry is in decline i thank wow for that. for all the good it did in bringing new people to gaming it did just as much damage in constricting the game industry to a specific model that everyone wants to work off of cause it is profitable. 

I don't listen to the naysayers. You can all laugh if you want. I really don't care what your closed minds think of me anyway. I choose to think positive and that even though some of you know it alls who think every idea has been thought of run your mouth. I laugh at you. considering if that was the case then we wouldn't have the advances in technology we have now. We all still be living in caves sitting around fires. 

so say what you want. It don't matter to me. I will say this again  i want to talk to someone who works in the industry and knows from experience what it takes to make an mmo. I don't  listen to those who claim to know everything yet not know anything at all. 

imageimage

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Scorchien said:
    Wizardry said:
    There are business/sites that take ideas and might work with them,but they basically take all control and own everything,so basically rip you off lol.
    I would not doubt most every single idea has flown through many a developers minds,they simply do not or cannot bring us great ideas and great games,these are 99.9% of the time just businesses out ot make a profit,these are not passionate game designers.
    Point being your idea has likely already been there done that,won't do it.
    But wait.. didnt you say in another post that "You have hundreds of ideas , andth reason why devs cant come up with new stuff is cost?

Yes and your point is?
    That is what i said now as well,those ideas have all flown through devs minds,they won't do it unless it is EASY to implement ,cost effective to operate,fast to implement.
    That is why you see games take a menu system and the same system is used from level 1-999.

Often we don't see NEW we see rehashed /replaced,example Cure 1>Cure 2 or Fire 1 >Fire 2,or Shout 1>Shout 2.That way they can use the exact same menu/mechanics and just replace  a couple numbers.
    Same for gear ,instead of adding in new ideas,they like to rehash the same old , weapons...+22 dmg >>>+23 dmg , armor +22 def...+23 def etc etc.

What gaming becomes is a level 1 game identical at level 999 with just different numbers.
    Aggro systems are the same,instead of creating varied aggro,they have 2 systems,aggro on/off and all use the exact same proximity.

Devs already have their minds set on one dimensional gaming and that is connect the dots,hand holding questing.That will take up the majority of their time and budget,so much to the point when comes near the deadline,they will simply cut out unfinished work and pretend it is free content later on or sell it in the next xpack.

ANY blind man can see what is going on in this industry.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Grindalyx said:
    You know just cause i don't want to go into detail about what my ideas are doesn't meen anyting. I never said it was the next great MMO idea. All i asked for was fi anyone knew anyone i could talk too. Plain and simple. I know the industry is in decline i thank wow for that. for all the good it did in bringing new people to gaming it did just as much damage in constricting the game industry to a specific model that everyone wants to work off of cause it is profitable. 

I don't listen to the naysayers. You can all laugh if you want. I really don't care what your closed minds think of me anyway. I choose to think positive and that even though some of you know it alls who think every idea has been thought of run your mouth. I laugh at you. considering if that was the case then we wouldn't have the advances in technology we have now. We all still be living in caves sitting around fires. 

so say what you want. It don't matter to me. I will say this again  i want to talk to someone who works in the industry and knows from experience what it takes to make an mmo. I don't  listen to those who claim to know everything yet not know anything at all. 
    So let me get this straight.  You think your game idea isn't good enough to make for an interesting forum discussion.  Yet you think it is good enough that maybe professional game developers should care about it.  Even though the threshold for the latter is massively higher than for the former.
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    If you believe in your own idea you have to take a huge amount of risk following it. Since it is sort of guaranteed that no publisher is going to invest on you (not because your idea is bad or not that good, MMOs are out) here's what you can do:

1. Detail your idea into writing and visuals. 
    2. Post an ad on recruitment sites for developers interested in an indie project. Pay them a consultation fee to review your detailed plan and figure out a ball-park estimate. 
    3. Take a loan, sell your car, get your inner circle to invest small doses (not big doses because they'll rip you apart later on - believe me!), gather monies. 
    4. Hire concept artist(s) to create you concept art.
    5. Make presence on social network platforms. 
    6. Hire devs to create you (since I don't know what your idea is) something(!) related to gameplay. 
    7. Create a site/forums for your game. Increase presence on social networks. 
    8. Find a (couple) of experienced game developers/designers and present them your product. Promise them cash+shares. 
    9. Study successful and failed crowdfunding campaigns. 
    10. Hire a writer, video creator, financial adviser and start working on a crowdfunding campaign with your team. 
    11. Launch it your crowdfunding campaign. Goodluck!

Can't do more than this for free for ya ;)
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • HowzrHowzr Member UncommonPosts: 43
    iixviiiix said:
    tawess said:
    because if it is a good idea it will be stolen in anout five seconds flat. =P 
    I will just throw ideas around and hope someone pick it .
    I think that's what about 80% of new threads on this board are trying to do. Hey fellas, can you please make AAA sandbox MMO with an emphasis on crafting, economics, socialization, and player settlements and a classless, skill-based progression system with no levels? 
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    These forums are becoming so damn toxic.
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Howzr said:
    iixviiiix said:
    tawess said:
    I think that's what about 80% of new threads on this board are trying to do. Hey fellas, can you please make AAA sandbox MMO with an emphasis on crafting, economics, socialization, and player settlements and a classless, skill-based progression system with no levels? 
    What MMO is this?
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282
    " I have an idea,  please contact me"    It's probably not the right aproach is all were trying to say.  Gamecompanies and developers get pitched ideas  all the time without  having to reach out to people on forums.

If you want input from a developer you need to be abit more fokused in reaching out to them.  If you want them to invest time on your idea you may even need to pay for their time.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Self development is the only real chance... and that chance pretty much consist of making enough waves that a bigger publisher buys out your company

After all... How many small studio indie-developed MMO´s can you name. And how many of them have anything resembling a playerbase still. 

This have been a good conversation

• WinterstoneWinterstone Member UncommonPosts: 33
    If anyone is familiar with The Malazan Book of the Fallen series.....that quite posssibly could be the greatest mmorpg idea ever haha. God I love those books. Damn you Erikson return my calls!!!
  • DrecapzDrecapz Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I wouldn't mind being a creative director for a MMO project. It would be awesome to work with multiple teams and make sure they stay on track and Morales are kept up.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Drecapz said:
    I wouldn't mind being a creative director for a MMO project. It would be awesome to work with multiple teams and make sure they stay on track and Morales are kept up.
    I take it you have never worked with several teams of creative people before have you? =P 

This have been a good conversation

• DrecapzDrecapz Member UncommonPosts: 38
    tawess said:
    Drecapz said:
    I take it you have never worked with several teams of creative people before have you? =P 
    You kidding me? I would love to be dropped in a chaotic situation as a creative director, where I needed to get my vision across and packaged to the consumer! I have ideas, you have ideas... everybody on these forums has an idea but do they have the ability to convey a vision properly other? Especially a team of programmers, who then must tell you the limitation of either the engine or their skills. Should he mend his vision? Should he entrust his developers to code from scratch the necessity? Can they even do it? So many questions and dynamic influences.

It's like we have one, we lack the other. We have someone who has a great plan, but they lack the funding. Somebody who has the funding, but lacks the visions. Someone who has the vision and funding, but promise the sky and lack reasonable boundary.

brb coffee
    Quizzical said:
    Grindalyx said:

So let me get this straight.  You think your game idea isn't good enough to make for an interesting forum discussion.  Yet you think it is good enough that maybe professional game developers should care about it.  Even though the threshold for the latter is massively higher than for the former.
    LOL no i did not say that at all. I said i choose not to discuss it here. big differance. Your assuming that is what i mean. I see no point in discussing something that in the end may not even be plausible. That is always a chance and i like to find out before first is all. 

imageimage

edited February 2016
    " I have an idea,  please contact me"    It's probably not the right aproach is all were trying to say.  Gamecompanies and developers get pitched ideas  all the time without  having to reach out to people on forums.

If you want input from a developer you need to be abit more fokused in reaching out to them.  If you want them to invest time on your idea you may even need to pay for their time.

I was asking if anyone knew were i could contact someone. A few actually replied with resources i could look into. I am looking to reach out to them not them reach out to me. Was pretty clear on that. The rest are just naysayers who seem to relish in tearing down anyone who wants to learn how to contact the right people about an idea and if it is plausible to work.

imageimage

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    edited February 2016
    Steelhelm said:
    Howzr said:
    iixviiiix said:
    tawess said:
    What MMO is this?

I know, right?

The best idea of them all, "about 80% of the new threads", and no one wants to make it.

Such is the power of the RMT (Real Money Trade) Cartels and their Cash Shop game systems that's running the gaming industry now.
    Well, stranglehold, really.

Once upon a time....

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    @Grindalyx ;

I have a few contacts with some folks in the industry and it's rather difficult to "sell" your idea to someone. I too also have been working on an mmorpg idea as well for years. Everyone has an idea but what can make you stand out is to actually understand game design. This can help you write a High Concept Document and your "Game Bible/Art Bible" so to speak. The only real way you will have a chance to get your idea across is simply develop a prototype/demo highlighting your core gameplay and mechanics what makes it unique and fun to play. MMORPG's are by far the most expensive and challenging game to make. It takes a copious amount of people to develop such a game.

Let me ask you a few questions.

1. Do you have a cohesive vision of the game world? What is your foundation and type of gameplay do you want to attract?

2. What is your core game play?

3. How are gameplay mechanics complimented in a fun and interesting way to your core gameplay?

Those are essential questions you should ask your self. 

If you can learn an Engine, Unity or Unreal or any others and actually get a small team to put together a playable prototype/concept art with a good business plan then investors may consider hearing your pitch. 

Feel free to send me a message. I would love to discuss anything game design related. 

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    More links worth reading...
    http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/creative/game-design/i-have-a-game-idea-r2977
    http://www.lostgarden.com/2005/08/why-you-should-share-your-game-designs.html

If you do end up talking with a real developer that idea better be worth their time or you will probably never get an answer.