Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building a new PC for The Division + VR in 6 months. Suggestions for improvements?

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Hi all, this build is purely for gaming + VR performance (I don't care about looks). I still have a few specific questions though and I'd like to open the build up to suggestions for performance improvements or price improvements!

CPU: i7-6700k - I debated between a 4790k/DDR3 build and this 6700k/DDR4 but the overall price difference seemed rather small for faster RAM and a few more modern features. I'd like to see at least a 4.6ghz OC on this with my setup, please keep that in mind when reviewing the rest of my items.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 - I was originally going with a liquid cooler but it seems this unit gives better cooling results. The D14 was originally recommended but the 15 was only $10 more, I assume its a slightly better version?

MB: Asus Z170-A - My knowledge of MB's is really lacking, but this board was recommended as a good choice for overclocking and future 2x SLI use with all the features I'd need at a decent price.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8x2) 3000mhz - any difference in 8x2 VS 4v4?

HD: 512 GB Samsung 950 pro m.2 PCIE  - my other option here was to get a 1 TB regular SSD for about $90 less.  Anyone used a real pcie SSD before, on paper they are waaaaay faster than a regular SSD but do they "feel" faster for gaming load times, etc.?

GPU: Zotac 980 TI AMP Extreme - This seemed like the best performing GPU out of the box with a really high factory overclock, good reviews, and decent price.

Case: I already have a CoolerMaster Stormtrooper I'm going to use for this build (got it when the tigerdirect near my house went out of business).

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 80+ GOLD, 850W ECO Mode Fully Modular - seems like a good PSU, best reviews, 850w should be enough for 2x SLI 980's down the road or 2x pascals right?

OS: Already have a windows 7 I'm going to free upgrade to 10.

PRICES - This all comes out to $1820 including tax (NC, USA) and shipping on Newegg, and $1913 on Amazon (higher price mostly due to tax). I'd prefer to buy everything from Amazon because they have the best customer service on the entire planet that has ever existed or ever will exist, but I'm also budget minded. No microcenter near me btw. If there are any reliable non-newegg/amazon deals that could save me a significant amount of money I'm open to them.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to suggestions!

Comments

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    The differences between ddr3 and ddr4 are menial at best. Slot and price difference, that's it... However, the 6700k is a phenomenal chip, while technically the same internally as the 4790k, it's had a few tweaks that perform a little bit better. Particularly on multi-threading applications.

As for motherboards, pay attention to chipsets. Don't just buy because it fits, you'll bottleneck yourself really quickly. But you've made the right move with a z170, if you go with the 4790k, you'll want the z97.

RAM: CAS latency, which is already unfortunately high and can't be helped on the DDR4 platform, but the platform is already multi-channel from the ground up. No difference really, go with the two slots (2x8gb I believe you said) as it will give you room for upgrade.
    Should you go with the z97 and 4790k, DDR3 standard can get some amazing CAS latencies.

You can use the stock cooler, either i7 chip only uses 60watts, won't overheat on you without extreme overclocking which you shouldn't have to do anyway, it's a gaming PC, not a benchmarker hobby computer isn't it?

Some videos to help you make your decisions:

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    edited February 2016
    Everything looks good, only thing i'd suggest is get 2x8GB of ram.

skylake is ram speed sensitive, 2666Mhz is the minimum that should be gotten for it, you're going for 3000Mhz so you're set.

And don't listen to SomethingUnusual because A) a stock cooler will never get you to 4.6Ghz stable, and more importantly B ) all the k skylake processors come without box coolers, ...

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    If you're buying a computer for something that doesn't arrive for six months, then you might want to wait six months.  New video cards should come out in that time, and possibly new top end cards, which seems to be what you're in the market for.  The shrink from 28 nm to 14/16 nm should offer huge power efficiency gains, and that means room for large performance gains.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    13lake said:
    Everything looks good, only thing i'd suggest is get 2x8GB of ram.

skylake is ram speed sensitive, 2666Mhz is the minimum that should be gotten for it, you're going for 3000Mhz so you're set.

And don't listen to SomethingUnusual because A) a stock cooler will never get you to 4.6Ghz stable, and more importantly B ) all the k skylake processors come without box coolers, ...

Big word "can" in my statement there, but no, the 6700k doesn't come with a stock cooler, but the 4790k does. There is an intel branded heatsink available for 6700k, it's pretty massive and definitely is stable at 4.6 in my tests. Personally I use: http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/cooling/hyper-series/hyper-t2.html it's nice for it's ability to be pointed in all 4 directions, and easily changed between push or pull config for how cheap I found it (10 bones).

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    The Division costs more than most gamers can afford because of the PC requirements.

HA! just replace 'The Division' with 'VR Headset' and you have another conversation here at MMORPG

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me