Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for something in all the wrong places...

SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
Anything really.

Particularly I'm looking for a game with some naval combat, but not 100% focused on it (Well, maybe 100% would be okay if it's a free to play game, I'd rather not spend money on something that may not keep my attention). Would I be able to get over tab-targeting mayhem of Arch Age? I'm currently playing Darkfall Unholy Wars again, because hey, the naval stuff is awesome @.@ and I love online fantasy and scifi shooters.

Other games I'm playing are Landmark and Trove, Landmark feels barren lately even with the updates around the corner, and Trove is Trove, I play it with my seven year old daughter.

Niche games welcome, or if anyone would like to join me for DFUW I'd gladly farm up and build a bunch of ships just for us to go broadside to broadside, granted this isn't a fast process for sure.

Thanks in advanced!

Comments

• User836User836 Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Maybe Pixel Pirates? Looks like it can provide a couple of hours of fun. That is, unless you are only interested in MMOs.
  • DzikuniDzikuni Member UncommonPosts: 38
    There is no such games on the market like dfo ... with dynamic shooter combat and a lot sandbox elements :/
    Mortal online is shit.
    Eve have good sandbox but combat is to slow/easy.
    Wurm is super crafting/building game but combat is shit, they focus to much on pve server.
    Project Gorgona super fun game but 0 pvp.
    Archeage p2w, tab targeting, no full loot ...
    Albion is good but pvp is zerg fest and maps are to small, and no open world building like h&h so its mehhh

Im w8ing for good mmo ... but i dont have hype anymore for games

http://darkfallnewdawn.com/
    https://darkfallriseofagon.com/
    http://traverse.world/
    http://battlefall.com/
    http://www.tide-game.com/
    https://sagaoflucimia.com/
    https://pantheonmmo.com/
    http://camelotunchained.com/v3/
    http://crowfall.com/
    http://chroniclesofelyria.com/

only hope remained

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    edited February 2016
    Thanks for the mention. 

The Dungeon Crawler Network had us on their show a couple of nights ago; watch the 2.5 hour interview here and if you have any more questions, let us know. We'll have our next Early Access build up in March/April for folks to sink their teeth into :) 

Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    User836 said:
    Maybe Pixel Pirates? Looks like it can provide a couple of hours of fun. That is, unless you are only interested in MMOs.
    Checked out some videos on Pixel Piracy, looks like a fun little time killer. Thanks!

@Dzikuni Definitely no games like Darkfall series, Thanks for the list!

@Renfail Thanks for popping in! Your game there looks pretty cool, I'll keep my eye on it.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Have you ever looked into Guns of Icarus?
    I guess you can't call it naval, but something tells me it might just be of interest to you.
    I guess you can't call it naval, but something tells me it might just be of interest to you.
    Holy gears Batman! This game looks cool! Thanks!
  • Asherons_CallAsherons_Call Member CommonPosts: 5
    edited February 2016
    Holy gears Batman! This game looks cool! Thanks!
    If you decide to start playing... Make sure you have a microphone, also add people to your friends lists you enjoy playing with, or do what I do and add high levels (level doesn't matter in Guns of Icarus, it just unlocks new attire) then instead of using the search button, use your friendslist and follow them into games. They'll eventually start to remember your name, and maybe you'll get a guild invite too. GoI is all about teamwork, so becoming a "regular" is really handy instead of joining random "PUG". Oh, and always accept the loadout your ship captain recommends you when it pops up.
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638

@Renfail Thanks for popping in! Your game there looks pretty cool, I'll keep my eye on it.

Cheers :) 
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    edited February 2016
    Uncharted Waters Online
    Puzzle Pirates
    Pirates of the Burning Sea

UWO is a weird game, and it has both land and sea combat, but isn't primarily about combat.  There's a lot of exploration and a lot of trading goods.  It has enormous amounts of content with all sorts of different things to do.  It's sometimes compared to EVE, but there really isn't a good comparison for it.  Also, it's one of the best games ever made.

Puzzle Pirates does have ship combat, but a lot of it is abstracted away as puzzle games.  It also has a lot of crafting.

PotBS is your usual quest hub theme park, with heavily instanced combat split between land and sea.  The ship combat is pretty good, though.
  • Asherons_CallAsherons_Call Member CommonPosts: 5
    edited February 2016
    Quizzical said:
    Uncharted Waters Online

Wow, thank you for this recommendation. Just finished reading these outstandingly positive reviews on their steam page and will be trying this out for sure. 
    Quizzical said:
    Uncharted Waters Online
    Puzzle Pirates
    Pirates of the Burning Sea

UWO is a weird game, and it has both land and sea combat, but isn't primarily about combat.  There's a lot of exploration and a lot of trading goods.  It has enormous amounts of content with all sorts of different things to do.  It's sometimes compared to EVE, but there really isn't a good comparison for it.  Also, it's one of the best games ever made.

Puzzle Pirates does have ship combat, but a lot of it is abstracted away as puzzle games.  It also has a lot of crafting.

PotBS is your usual quest hub theme park, with heavily instanced combat split between land and sea.  The ship combat is pretty good, though.
    Pirates of the Burning Sea I've been looking at for years and still haven't gotten around to it. I will be installing later this week to check it out, thanks for the recommendation.

Uncharted Waters I feel reluctant about, I'm not fond of Asian games and art-style. Has the game been decently westernized? or am I going to spend hours looking at anime rubbish?
  • GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    edited February 2016
    Let me add Naval Action to the list. It's not f2p, though.

Haven't tried it myself, but reviews seem fairly positive.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Problem is that we see how tough it is for devs to make a player model,now imagine them trying to make full scale ships with hulls.Even with all the money CCP has pulled in they won't make ship hulls.

I would love to pla ya Naval ship game if we had like 10- 20 man crews ,even if all  que ued with pugs.Each player responsible for something,from steering,engine ,weapons,repair,scope,torpedo room,anti aircraft guns,Sonar reading for mines etc etc.
    Otherwise all we are getting is a ship model that moves through water and you steer it lol.Very little realism to it and well i just get bored way too fast.I just played that naval game World of Warships or something like that a month ago and i lasted about an hour and got bored.They just do so very little,it is like the bare minimum shell of a game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Ghabbo said:
    Let me add Naval Action to the list. It's not f2p, though.

Haven't tried it myself, but reviews seem fairly positive.
    Don't care if I have to pay for it, as long as it's a good game. Thanks for the suggestion, added to wishlist.

Wizardry said:
    Problem is that we see how tough it is for devs to make a player model,now imagine them trying to make full scale ships with hulls.Even with all the money CCP has pulled in they won't make ship hulls.

I would love to pla ya Naval ship game if we had like 10- 20 man crews ,even if all  que ued with pugs.Each player responsible for something,from steering,engine ,weapons,repair,scope,torpedo room,anti aircraft guns,Sonar reading for mines etc etc.
    Otherwise all we are getting is a ship model that moves through water and you steer it lol.Very little realism to it and well i just get bored way too fast.I just played that naval game World of Warships or something like that a month ago and i lasted about an hour and got bored.They just do so very little,it is like the bare minimum shell of a game.

Man that would be awesome. Though not every detail of what you mention (Multiple roles and functions aboard a vessel) is in DFUW, I like the simple fact that multiple people can be aboard my ship firing off cannons and arrows at other ships, along with swimming off to the enemy vessel and boarding to create chaos. I wish there were more playing currently to get said battles, but everyone has jumped ship waiting for the DF1 remake with an undetermined release date (I want to play something now damnit!).

Nevertheless, enough of my ranting about times come to pass. I would adore a game like that, maybe, just maybe we'll see one in the future.

For now I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, I want to play an MMO, but I just can't do the tab-target thing anymore (Thanks DFUW and TERA, you ruined my ability to enjoy tab-target games...)

If anyone is playing DFUW, look me up: Malmartyr Thefree
    Dabble with Trove here and there with my kiddo as well, character: Spazicus