Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What, in your opinion, is the best "Riddick" movie.

Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,309
edited February 2016 in Off-Topic Discussion
Just curious since we are among nerds here :)
"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Comments

• cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,594
    I think Pitch Black is the best overall film. Great cinematography, great acting, interesting storyline and Vin does great.

Chronicles of Riddick was a good film too and probably one I can rewatch more regularly. However, as with a lot of CGI heavy films, I didn't ever really feel connected to the worlds he was on, it felt like he was on a set rather than "actually there". Hopefully that makes sense, I've not really explained it too well. I also didn't like the Lord Marshal. 

Riddick......apart from appreciating the presence of Starbuck, the film was trash. I remember watching it through, getting to the end and being like "so, what actually happened? what was the point?" Riddick's starting position in the film (isolated on a planet) was the same as his finishing position in the film (still isolated on a planet). I don't like films that don't progress. They need to take me on a journey of some sort
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,209
    edited February 2016
    Yay, movies :wink: (too bad I don't have enough time lately to maintain being a full-blown movie buff...) Riddick is a perfect example of merchandising / franchise building in the current century, and they were pretty successful in it.

Pitch black was a cool film, even if it's just an action-packed afterthought of a great Asimov novel. It's not a "Riddick" movie though, just a regular sci-fi. They said later, that the idea was ready back then too, but still it's just like the first Alien was, a crew from Earth, and Riddick's only feature is that he sees in the dark. Quality-wise, even with the lowest budget of the three, it is the best one. At that time nobody knew there's more in the character :wink: Diesel is not a giant actor (sorry for fans), but he was great in the role, because it was a very suiting character, and he liked to play it which is always good and helpful for the acting.

So, Pitch black is good, people liked the Riddick character, and he liked it too (we're before the first F&F, there's no Dom Toretto yet :wink: ) Twohy had the idea that actually there could be a whole universe built around Riddick, and he went along as co-producer. That resulted the Chronicles, which is a mess... even if cameltosis above used to rewatch it often :lol:
    A cobbled-up, illogical trainwreck, barely working as a film, which is no surprise, since the goal was to found the franchise, they had to stuff in it as much "world-building" stuff as they can, while also maintain some storyline through the film as well.
    So as a movie, the middle one is the worst. Flopped in theaters, in budget, in reviews...
    However, as the "higher goal", it was a success. Alongside with the video games, the animation, the comics, etc. of the same year, Twohy and Vin managed to launch a new franchise from out of nowhere.

Riddick, (the 3rd movie), that's an odd one. Nod a bad movie, well-rounded, nicely done. It's clearly better than the previous one, and it refreshes the franchise with a success (it was a wise choice to hold back an another movie after the lame second one, and only releasing comics and games for almost a decade :wink: ). My only problem with it, is that it's nothing new, an age-old story recited within the Riddick IP.
    Sure, it's not really a problem, as some theorists say there are no new stories anymore, but you still can re-tell them with a new tone or some updates... The whole "hero reaches the goal, sitting there, lose his former self and getting soft, then has to find his better self again due to a crisis and reclaim the goal again" has been told countless times since Homer, but Riddick adds almost nothing to the pattern, it's almost exactly like Conan's Hour of the Dragon, or from a later version, Rocky 3 :lol:

So, my vote:  Pitch black is a good film, Riddick is a watch-able, average one, and Chronicles is utter crap (as a film, at least)
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I pretty much agree with Po_gg completely.

I'm not a fan of the Riddick universe in general( don't know much about it ), so maybe I'm not the target audience, but...

I thought Chronicles was pretty weak.  That said, I loved Pitch Black and can watch that movie repeatedly and still enjoy it.
    Riddick did a solid job of trying to get back to the roots of Pitch Black, but frankly that movie kind of dragged on a bit.
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,309
    edited February 2016
    I like both Pitch Black and Riddick equally, and Chronicles a bit less. I must admit I'm a big fan of the character, and I can't wait for the next movie. I think the latest, Riddick, gets "down voted" because some people think it's Pitch Black all over again with a small twist. I don't agree, the interaction between the two very different mercenary teams are something new and fun, and the "dog" (or rather hyena) like creature is a welcome addition too. Overall, the characters in both Riddick and Pitch Black are interesting.

Just a reminder... they made Riddick with a $38 million budget only... not only they achieved an amazing result considering the small budget compared to the usual sci-fi movies, but they got positive reception and the movie was a success at the box office.

PS: be sure you've seen the unrated director's cut of Riddick, and not the dumbed down theatrical version.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,594
    Po_gg said:

So, Pitch black is good, people liked the Riddick character, and he liked it too (we're before the first F&F, there's no Dom Toretto yet :wink: ) Twohy had the idea that actually there could be a whole universe built around Riddick, and he went along as co-producer. That resulted the Chronicles, which is a mess... even if cameltosis above used to rewatch it often :lol:

I agree with your opinions. The reason I have watched Chronicles is so much is I enjoy mindless sci-fi violence! In my 2nd and 3rd years of uni, Chronicles was often the film I shoved on when I stumbled in drunk after a night out! Entertaining to watch, but no brain power needed  =)
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,209
    The reason I have watched Chronicles is so much is I enjoy mindless sci-fi violence!
    For the mindless scf-fi violence fix, the game is on sale for the weekend, on gog :wink:  both games actually, since it has the first one included as well. Without the lame DRM bullsh.t, and only for 4.5 bucks...