Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In light of huge hype for BDO and shocking truth from players that actually tried it now.

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
I mean , we seen it so many times. The game praised to by media. Best graphic, amazing gameplay ... just for it to literally disappear in oblivion weeks after its released.

My latest experience was Sword Coast Legends. The game was praised even on this site as the best D&D game, truest to its table top form. Just for players to discover in first beta that game gameplay ruleset is nowhere near D&D, and that press was either lying trough their teeth or have no idea what is D&D.

And now we see this with BDO.

The following example is from game called Evolve:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M4RwGwQslM

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,349
    So you see why I tend to ignore pre-release hype and get around to looking into games some months after launch.  Or years.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Quizzical said:
    So you see why I tend to ignore pre-release hype and get around to looking into games some months after launch.  Or years.
    True. And you dont even need to wait much.

• blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174
    I'm actually enjoying it
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    The shocking truth is that the truth is not that shocking.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    its a fun game.  and its a grind.  im sure it will carve out its playerbase like we've seen with GW2 and FFXIV.  as opposed to ending up like Tera or AOC or ESO.  Im guessing its size and playerbase will end up looking something like Aion.  Which is perfectly fine.  

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I like it
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I've been enjoying my time in the beta and look forward to release. As with anything though YMMV. 

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I like it
    Same.  I'm really enjoying the game.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited February 2016
    These recent mass hype and failures are only happening with a specific type of genre. They tend to have several things in common.

-PVP
    -Korean made or published
    -Cash shop
    -Action combat

Tera, Wildstar, ArcheAge, Blade & Soul, Black Desert, etc
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    edited February 2016
    First of all - these are shocking 'opinions', and not 'truth'. They were shocking to me as well, because I don't agree with most of them. Yet, they are entertaining.

What needs to be understood, is that a large number of people enjoying the game, are doing just that. Enjoying the game. They're not here posting on forums about what they hate. I see no problem in voicing your opinion, as that's what forums are for, but do not mistake it for 'truth'.
  • VormirVormir Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Kiyoris said:
    These recent mass hype and failures are only happening with a specific type of genre. They tend to have several things in common.

-PVP
    -Cash shop
    -Action combat

Wildstar?! NCsoft was the publisher! Did you know a fair majority of the developers and designers were from WoW?
  • PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    This is why I don't pre-order games. I like to wait a few months after a game releases so that I can read actual player reviews about a game.

I've learned not to take any notice of 'professional' reviewers or media coverage.
  • DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308
    They keep making games like this because you all keep buying them, stop buying them =)

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Vormir said:
    Kiyoris said:

-PVP
    -Cash shop
    -Action combat

Wildstar?! NCsoft was the publisher! Did you know a fair majority of the developers and designers were from WoW?
    All of a sudden I feel much better about NCsoft as a company and it's Korean associated roots.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Torval said:
    The emptiness of hype and truth of limitations shouldn't be shocking to anyone. I don't really have much sympathy for people that can't manage their own expectations.

@Quizzical is absolutely right, especially if one can't manage expectations.
    Suppose it actually exceeds your expectations and the expectations are set really high and full of criticism before you open the box.

I'm tired of treadmill quest hub  kill and kill games. yeah it is there BUT there is so much more to do than kill and kill.

NO it's not perfect but a hell of a lot better than most.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited February 2016
    I didn't think BDO was hyped much, but regardless I think it is pretty good.

Not sure what is so shocking, lots of people seem to like it, the usual haters on these forums hate it, a few weirdoes pop in for the first time to rage about how its a scam and implore us not to play it, and some angst about a pretty mild cash shop. Seems a pretty run of the mill response?

I agree that sword coast was a bit of a let down though.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    YashaX said:
    I didn't think BDO was hyped much
    lol
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Kiyoris said:
    YashaX said:
    I didn't think BDO was hyped much
    lol

how is that funny?  sure it was hyped,  like 2 years ago.  this game is about to finally release and half the people want nothing to do with it.  there is no hype,  because we have all been burned too many times?
  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    The only shocking truth here is that OP does not see how stupid this whole thread is. Creating one based on examples of games in different genres, also both examples having nothing to do with each other or BDO...

As for the game being hyped or not. It has sold half a million copies already so it is safe to say if you want to play it, you don't have to fear it dying anytime soon.

Before OP brings up Evolve again: 

Evolve sold 500k since release on PC.
    BDO has sold 500k before its release. 
  • breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374
    edited February 2016
    I found it "interesting" but a lot of stuff was just a little "meh"
    Still got no clue what with the "nodes" are.
    Weapon and armors are boring. no diversity, bns has no armors but at least you can customize it a little.
    GFX looks okey nothing realy amazing, got no clue what the frame rate of others is.
    I used 2560x1440 on a GTX780ti Xeon 1230v2  (sandy bridge 3.3Ghz) with everything on max and had no problems with it.
    Crafting no clue most stuff seems useless to me.
    "Sandbox" well maybe when they started with it but looks like a Theme park with lots of useless stuff added to make it "look" complicated.

Would i fork over 30$ to play this game witch is "F2P" in the rest of the world, No.
    Come on we all know it will be f2p anyways they just grabbing some extra cash.
    I can wait.

Would i play it if it was F2P, well yes, i like to see what happens beyond 45 with pvp.

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    game was advertised as it is, no surprises there tho and like everything else in life one man's meat is another's poison...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    blythega said:
    I'm actually enjoying it
    Me too. This is my game until I see if Pantheon actually releases.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    breadm1x said:
    I found it "interesting" but a lot of stuff was just a little "meh"
    Still got no clue what with the "nodes" are.
    Weapon and armors are boring. no diversity, bns has no armors but at least you can customize it a little.
    GFX looks okey nothing realy amazing, got no clue what the frame rate of others is.
    I used 2560x1440 on a GTX780ti Xeon 1230v2  (sandy bridge 3.3Ghz) with everything on max and had no problems with it.
    Crafting no clue most stuff seems useless to me.
    "Sandbox" well maybe when they started with it but looks like a Theme park with lots of useless stuff added to make it "look" complicated.

Would i fork over 30$ to play this game witch is "F2P" in the rest of the world, No.
    Come on we all know it will be f2p anyways they just grabbing some extra cash.
    I can wait.

Would i play it if it was F2P, well yes, i like to see what happens beyond 45 with pvp.

Let me clue you on nodes so you can understand their importance.

You have to open a chain of nodes across the world so you can send the materials from a node to different cities and depending on market conditions and cost to make more profit. You need workers so you hire workers from different places to work the nodes like mine, forest, farm, etc so you don't have to do it. You have to have stations to produce product through the crafting from raw materials. You level up your nodes to get lower taxes and better bargaining power with the market.  You level your workers to get better rare harvests and better materials and more production.

It is extremely time consuming so you go out and do quests and kill mobs to get items that are not produced by nodes.

It's frickin addictive as hell. 
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다