Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pick a class

Comments

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    I am lost on this front. I would pick Necromancer, but they don't have one yet. Summoner just does not cut it for me. So.. i guess wizard or enchanter for me. I just love being a caster. Will be pretty altoholic tho, so not gonna stick with just casters ;-)

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    i love summer's! thats why i become a summener!
  • SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    As a practicing altoholic I should be able to pick multiple classes cause that's how I role.  :+1: 
    There is nothing wrong with people wanting to alt, but my concern is how viable it will be. If it is viable, it means the leveling progression is too fast and we end up with the numerous problems that having multiple alts in a group focused game creates.

If it is not viable, then most will see it as far too much effort and this often leads to complaints that lead to it becoming viable and we end up in the same boat.

The question is really what people expect here. For instance, if the leveling/character progression is EXTREMELY slow and time consuming, is that acceptable? Or will this be a problem for someone like you who loves to alt?
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Shaman if it plays like WoW shaman.

Warrior if it can use many different weapons and play differently with each like GW2.

Crusader if i can ditch the shield and go full on DPS with a two handed weapon and heavy plates (Ret Pally but without the lame long cooldown based gameplay)

Wizard/Mage/Sorcerer if i can specialize in whatever magic i want, (sorcery, elemental magic, blood magic, etc)

• AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299
    In order of desire:
    1. Bard
    2. Any other buff/debuff class that is fun but not a healer(though a general HoT or back up heals is ok)
    3. Any tank that worked similar to Ninja Tank in XI(pipe dream i know)
    4. Rogue types that are more in line with D&D than most MMOs. Not really interested is a top DPS.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Shaman if it plays like WoW shaman.

Warrior if it can use many different weapons and play differently with each like GW2.

Crusader if i can ditch the shield and go full on DPS with a two handed weapon and heavy plates (Ret Pally but without the lame long cooldown based gameplay)

Wizard/Mage/Sorcerer if i can specialize in whatever magic i want, (sorcery, elemental magic, blood magic, etc)
    Nope i hope the classes play nothing like WOW or GW2 in fact i will bet my life on it they won't.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Sinist said:
    As a practicing altoholic I should be able to pick multiple classes cause that's how I role.  :+1: 
    There is nothing wrong with people wanting to alt, but my concern is how viable it will be. If it is viable, it means the leveling progression is too fast and we end up with the numerous problems that having multiple alts in a group focused game creates.

If it is not viable, then most will see it as far too much effort and this often leads to complaints that lead to it becoming viable and we end up in the same boat.

The question is really what people expect here. For instance, if the leveling/character progression is EXTREMELY slow and time consuming, is that acceptable? Or will this be a problem for someone like you who loves to alt?
    One method would be to offer multiple paths of leveling progression.  Meaning multiple starting areas based on race or even class and multiple adventuring areas per level range, letting you choose a different path for each alt.  EQ did this well, till they ruined it with the kobold mines.  WoW did it right as well, lots of areas per level range.

• JurisDictumJurisDictum Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I actually thought EQ Next was on to something with their class design. It worked like FFV (for those of you that played this game on the emu that was unreleased in the US), where each player is intended to level multiple classes. The player can then proceed to mix and match, gaining unique abilities from mixing classes and access to more exclusive classes.

It is a way to make the game more geared toward horizontal progression. This helps a great deal with mudflation, lack of customization, and allows more the content to be used throughout the whole game. It also takes a little of the impetus out of making sure every class is balanced.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I like taking one class all the way to the end.  Then after a year or two say, I think I'll make that Monk.

Then I'll let the community that I got to know so well ( because I played for over a year ) that I have an alt.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Summoner if it's like EQ2, Druid or Enchanter if it's like EQ1, I just went ahead and picked Summoner. 
  • ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Dullahan said:
    That was 2 years ago, and holds totally true today. Yes, they will use things learned from Vanguard. I would hope class design in particular, as playing a melee in EQ with 2 abilities will not cut it in 2017. That and Vanguard classes were the best of any of the 30+ mmo I've played - by a landslide.

Vanguard had awesome classes and IMO was a hell of a game too. But to say the best classes out of any MMO - that's not an opinion I share. 

I dont man , think i would agree with him , if you take Vanguards classes(the enitre group)  as a whole , and put it up against any other games (entire group) , i think it would come out on top .. Only other games i can think of that had so many unique well done  classes , is DAoC and Warhammer... And Vanguard imo beats out both of these ..

Collectively - maybe.

Still taken individually from games

EQ1 Enchanter - come on now, probably the most amazing class of all time - crazy number of options and utility

DAoC warrior - active shield block made the class feel like a TRUE tank, never have I felt so tanky in any game

Vanguard disciple - just so good, maybe OP but really loved the class

AoC - Herald of Xotli - yes AoC's melee combat mechanics made a lot of classes feel really good - but Xotli was a great class 

DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Dullahan said:
    That was 2 years ago, and holds totally true today. Yes, they will use things learned from Vanguard. I would hope class design in particular, as playing a melee in EQ with 2 abilities will not cut it in 2017. That and Vanguard classes were the best of any of the 30+ mmo I've played - by a landslide.

Vanguard had awesome classes and IMO was a hell of a game too. But to say the best classes out of any MMO - that's not an opinion I share. 

I dont man , think i would agree with him , if you take Vanguards classes(the enitre group)  as a whole , and put it up against any other games (entire group) , i think it would come out on top .. Only other games i can think of that had so many unique well done  classes , is DAoC and Warhammer... And Vanguard imo beats out both of these ..

Collectively - maybe.

Still taken individually from games

EQ1 Enchanter - come on now, probably the most amazing class of all time - crazy number of options and utility

DAoC warrior - active shield block made the class feel like a TRUE tank, never have I felt so tanky in any game

Vanguard disciple - just so good, maybe OP but really loved the class

AoC - Herald of Xotli - yes AoC's melee combat mechanics made a lot of classes feel really good - but Xotli was a great class 

Agree With AoC and HoX, was a awesome mix of melee and magic with the added AoC melee mechanic it was great fun.

For me Vanguard had the best done rogue class I have played and the disciple was insane fun as a healer

• JigawattsJigawatts Member UncommonPosts: 48
    DPS with versatility. I love having a good bit of utility at my disposal (buffs, ports, invis, etc) and playing dps classes that can spot heal and provide other utility to my group when the situation calls for it. Theres a solid chance this will mean Druid, unless there ends up being another class that is capable of such versatility. If it does turn out to be the Druid, I hope some will be able to adequately fill a solid dps role in Pantheon in addition to the ones that naturally fill the healer role.
    edited February 2016
    One method would be to offer multiple paths of leveling progression.  Meaning multiple starting areas based on race or even class and multiple adventuring areas per level range, letting you choose a different path for each alt.  EQ did this well, till they ruined it with the kobold mines.  WoW did it right as well, lots of areas per level range.
    That helps with giving lots of options in play, but the main issue still comes up and that is the fact that in a game where character progression is extremely slow, alting is counter productive. I remember people even complaining about how the leveling speed hampered their ability to play multiple characters and there has been many arguments in the past which has led to fast leveling and the actual play style of "alting" being specifically attended to in games today.

As I said, the question becomes if people are accepting of a game where alting means they will not be able to keep up with the average player who plays a single class?
  • kruu4kruu4 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    As an altaholic why would I be worried if I was keeping up with the other players in the game?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    EQ classes were over rated,too many button/icons to accomplish very little,it was more like spamming hotkeys.Give the classes more tools instead of more 2 second spamming hotkeys.

They were nice EASY systems for SOE to maintain and develop but not overly create or intuitive.Example they went with all poison or all Arcane etc etc.put some more creative versatility in there instead of easy menu systems.
    I would rather have fewer classes with more great tools/abilities than 20 classes of fluff.
    All i can think of is the FFXI RDM "RedMage" if any developer can recreate that kind of versatility in a class,they win two Arrowroot cookies :P.

FFXI was NOT your soloing game,not by any stretch ,yet because of a sub class system and the versatility of the RDM,it could seriously solo mobs "Boss mobs" that a full group could not or might struggle to.That is when you know you created some amazing classes.
    Instead what i have noticed in every game,is that classes feel LOCKED,they feel like player skill does not matter one bit,your gear matters more than you do and that to me is really bad class and game design.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• yilayila Member UncommonPosts: 29
    edited February 2016
    What a shock. Us Wizards will be few and far between lol
    kruu4 said:
    As an altaholic why would I be worried if I was keeping up with the other players in the game?
    You may not, but there have been many others who have made the argument that they play alts and it is unfair that because they like to alt, that they can not keep up with their friends who pass them up in level. I am not saying they are justified, just that this will come up. Count on it.
    edited February 2016
    Wizardry said:
    EQ classes were over rated,too many button/icons to accomplish very little,it was more like spamming hotkeys.Give the classes more tools instead of more 2 second spamming hotkeys.

They were nice EASY systems for SOE to maintain and develop but not overly create or intuitive.Example they went with all poison or all Arcane etc etc.put some more creative versatility in there instead of easy menu systems.
    I would rather have fewer classes with more great tools/abilities than 20 classes of fluff.
    All i can think of is the FFXI RDM "RedMage" if any developer can recreate that kind of versatility in a class,they win two Arrowroot cookies :P.

FFXI was NOT your soloing game,not by any stretch ,yet because of a sub class system and the versatility of the RDM,it could seriously solo mobs "Boss mobs" that a full group could not or might struggle to.That is when you know you created some amazing classes.
    Instead what i have noticed in every game,is that classes feel LOCKED,they feel like player skill does not matter one bit,your gear matters more than you do and that to me is really bad class and game design.

Spamming hot keys? Melee had some skills they hit consistently, but it was hardly spamming, more like hit a key every 10-30 seconds. Some skills though only poor players spammed (someone spamming taunt had no clue how taunt worked) and many skills you kept available for situational use (slam, bash, certain attacks, etc...) as they were interrupts or had a special use.

If you spammed as a caster, you ran out of mana, so not a very bright behavior by a player.

There was no spamming in EQ when I played, maybe that was later on when they started copying WoW?
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    No bard? 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Is Pantheon using the trinity like Brad has in other games or is it all classes can do all things?
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Wizardry said:

Are you sure you played EQ?...In classic there was only 8 spell slots...Depending on the class most were situational....EQ2 was the button mashing, 5-6 toolbar game
  • Raidan_EQRaidan_EQ Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Hard to say concretely at the moment without knowledge of all classes, but, I enjoy tanking and having some utility with the class as well.  And, with no necromancer class at launch, I hope the Dire Lord would have some of the necromancer type abilities/spells.
  • AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I wouldnt take everything Wizardry says too heart. I agree with him on some things but he is every bit a FFXI zealot. And this from a FFXI fan.

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843
    Warrior as my main group/raid/tank/guild char and a Monk alt for solo/relax/fun.
    Nothing else matters.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Amsai said:
    Not enough info on the other classes yet. And its become apparent that while they may be very similar to EQ classes in some cases in others maybe not (Druid). Other wise......... what no Bard? LOL

No bard?

Last I heard Bard is slated to be an expansion class. It is a class they want to do right and not rush out for launch.