Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really pleasantly surprised!

SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
edited February 2016 in Black Desert Online
I've only read negative things about this game since the Korean release. This must be the least hyped game in a long while. But my first 10h in game have been wonderful. I agree with almost all design decisions (I love automating as a replacement for teleports for example) . This feels like the game I've been waiting for since vanguard. Only less theme park (which works better for me nowadays). The sheer amount of things you can do is astounding.

I fun side note. After about 10min of overcrowded questing I went off the beaten path to grind mobs (oh how I have missed mob grinding!). I was so happy I could just grind mobs instead of being forced into questing! 

The only negative so far seems to be the lack of visual gear customization, something that sadly vary well could end up scaring me away. I wanna put as much care into my clothes as I did into my physique when creating my character. 

I get that most people don't like the sandboxy nature of the game, but for me this is wonderful! 

Comments

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    No trolling. I genuinely like the game. Feel like a kid again!
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I have no clue how to figure out the combat im just left click/right click constantly

also its weird that I have to remember which server my character is on when I hit play

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Yeah, I have read a few posts on the BDO forums from EQ players as well saying how they enjoy it for similar reasons you have posted OP.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Svarcanum said:
    I've only read negative things about this game since the Korean release. This must be the least hyped game in a long while. But my first 10h in game have been wonderful. I agree with almost all design decisions (I love automating as a replacement for teleports for example) . This feels like the game I've been waiting for since vanguard. Only less theme park (which works better for me nowadays). The sheer amount of things you can do is astounding.

I fun side note. After about 10min of overcrowded questing I went off the beaten path to grind mobs (oh how I have missed mob grinding!). I was so happy I could just grind mobs instead of being forced into questing! 

The only negative so far seems to be the lack of visual gear customization, something that sadly vary well could end up scaring me away. I wanna put as much care into my clothes as I did into my physique when creating my character. 

I get that most people don't like the sandboxy nature of the game, but for me this is wonderful! 

At level 50 you go grind mobs and someone comes along and says 'leave or I kill you?" because they want your grind spot. Question. Are you okay with PvP?.

Second of all if you want customizations go to the cash shop. The clothes are cheap. I believe they cost about 30 dollars or so each. I'm not sure there is any costumes in game yet but the cash shop should keep you happy.

I like sandbox but so far I haven't been able to do much but get to level 10 in under 45 minutes with some auto run thing that goes off whenever I close a quest window so level 50 would be around 4 or 5 day? Maybe I need to do more questing in this sandbox?

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
    ArChWind said:
    Svarcanum said:

At level 50 you go grind mobs and someone comes along and says 'leave or I kill you?" because they want your grind spot. Question. Are you okay with PvP?.

I like sandbox but so far I haven't been able to do much but get to level 10 in under 45 minutes with some auto run thing that goes off whenever I close a quest window so level 50 would be around 4 or 5 day? Maybe I need to do more questing in this sandbox?

If someone is nice enough to ask you just change channels.

Level 10 takes about an hour, but I spent the next three hours not even getting to level 12, and I still am totally overwhelmed by the complexity and depth of the game systems - its likely going to take months to fully grasp the fundamentals.

Oh yes and level 50 is not the level cap, nor is character level the be all and end all of progression in this game; in fact character level seems to be of relatively minor importance in terms of progression, but that is probably a hard concept to grasp for people programmed to think mmo = race to level cap, then grind dungeons and raids.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    YashaX said:
    Level 10 takes about an hour, but I spent the next three hours not even getting to level 12, and I still am totally overwhelmed by the complexity and depth of the game systems - its likely going to take months to fully grasp the fundamentals.
    Does take some time to get a handle on, but once you figure out the basics the more complicated features fall into place.

Been playing on KR for a bit and it took me maybe 10 min to reach lvl 10 on CB2 and I didn't even bother moving away from the herd which would of denied me the pleasure of watching a million people try to kill the same lvl 5 mob at the same time.

Tip: Quest mobs are usually found in multiple locations or at least a greater area than what the quest indicator shows.
  • inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    I was amazed how awesome it was as well, I started to read up and then seen the crazy people posts, then stopped only to try myself and loving it!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• 4Renziks4Renziks Member UncommonPosts: 390
    I cant do it, looks good but it feels clunky to me and having a hard time puting more than 20mins into it, guess its not for me

playing: Dragon Age
    Waiting: for FF14, Mass Effect
    Want to try: Fallen Earth

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Svarcanum said:
    Yup, me too. As I said in another thread, this is going to be my main mmo. Unless Pantheon ever releases that is. I absolutely love the game. There are things I dislike such as some of the world "pop-in" and I think the world itself could be a little more interesting as far as the features of the land, but it's beautiful for the most part and I'm loving the Warrior and Valkyrie.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Svarcanum said:
    Agreed, it's been a while since I felt I had as much freedom in an MMORPG. being wrapped in an aesthetic/presentation I could stick with for a while is a major plus as well.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Agreed with OP. Also enjoying the game. Actually played for a few hours without realizing it had been that long. It's true that you can auto-run to things, and I think this feature will be even more useful when making long hauls to places, but you don't have to use it. I found myself running directly to places being shorter a distance than using auto-run too! 

Game is beautiful, and the combat feels pretty good too. Looking forward to release!
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    mcrippins said:
    Agreed with OP. Also enjoying the game. Actually played for a few hours without realizing it had been that long. It's true that you can auto-run to things, and I think this feature will be even more useful when making long hauls to places, but you don't have to use it. I found myself running directly to places being shorter a distance than using auto-run too! 

Game is beautiful, and the combat feels pretty good too. Looking forward to release!
    Running there manually is a lot faster. Auto-pathing always has you follow the roads to play it safe, even if it means taking some serious detours. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Allein said:
    YashaX said:
    Does take some time to get a handle on, but once you figure out the basics the more complicated features fall into place.

Been playing on KR for a bit and it took me maybe 10 min to reach lvl 10 on CB2 and I didn't even bother moving away from the herd which would of denied me the pleasure of watching a million people try to kill the same lvl 5 mob at the same time.

Tip: Quest mobs are usually found in multiple locations or at least a greater area than what the quest indicator shows.
    My post wasn't meant to be bashing the game, quite the opposite. I didn't have any difficulty finding quest mobs- you can change channels or just move around. 

My point is that judging the game based on how fast or slow it takes to level is somewhat silly because that is just one measure of progression in the game, and imo leveling seems to be of minor significance compared to progression in other parts of the game. 

I haven't played enough of it to give a in depth review yet, but so far it seems to be one of the best and most intriguing mmos I have played. What I can say is that on top of all the great graphics, nice combat etc, there is this incredible strategic depth underneath the shiny hood that is very appealing to me.
  • R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    The moment I saw the 30 euro pre-order doesnt even get you access to beta events... yea, I think I know what kind of game this is going to be. 
  • CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422
    edited February 2016
    Heh the feeling of finding monsters outside the quest circles, off the beaten path is pretty cool. People were like "there are no imps!" in the chat as I wandered past a patch of untouched ones miles away. Made me feel like I was in some unexplored valley.

I only got to level 10 I want to experience the crafting and fishing before the beta is over.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I did some good research ingame in my 10 hours streak to figure out the mechanics...

what i love...

-A vast open world, beautifull and challenging you to get over the horizon.
    -A combat system that requires quick action as well as tactical thinking and a good strategy. It looks simple but it is so deep...
    -great annimations.. Not just combat but also emotes and crafting..
    - roads are populated with travelers, towns are busy with NPCs, make sthe game feel alive. I think the travellers might be generated by PC actions based on their node connections..
    - crafting system is huge, not only your persoanl crafting, but also you can build your empire all actoss the world, with workers, houses and nodes..  Its huge unsee before, not for me, i dont like the minimanaggement thats involved, but allwoing crafters to build their empire is something i love about the game.
    - mini games are everywhere, some are really fun, and offer diversity
    - many things like world discoveries and crafting are account wide.
    - the knowledge system is very innovative.. Everywhere you go, you gather knowledge, openining up new quests everywhere, also this is acountwide, so your 2nd character gets offered different quests(if you are a quest players) that take you in a different direction if you let the quests lead you, adding to the replay vallue of the PvE part of the world.
    - the story and some of the NPC's are actually well done, in combination with the gathered knowledge they add alayer of lore in the world that makes it come alive..  
    - PvP pennalties and rule should make up for a fun place for those that PvP, while making palyer killing of non PvPers quite harsh..  This makes PvE still an option..   Its much less a gankfest then other PvP oriented games, think before and who you kill...  I can see the good old PK hunting find new roots in this game..
    - the way pets and mounts and carriages add to the depth of the game is also innovative.. Pest gathering your loot, having extra luggage space and such, same goes for mounts, they offer extra bagspace...
    - i indeed like the autorun instead of the usuall teleporting, you can chat with friends and guildies while your character is on the run, it adds to the social parts of the game... EQ once had long pauses between fights which was the base of social interaction between players.
    - grinding mobs gives a bit of the diablo feel, of massive slaughter and bloodshed, which is allright with me..

but most importantly, its the general feel that this world feels like an actuall living and breating world to me, is what made me decide to order the game after a single day of beta...

the weak points so far

- overcrowded starter area's which are unavoidable in a truely open non instanced world
    - where friendly NPCs have social avtivities, enenmy mobs so far, just stand around to be slaughtered.
    - no challenge in PvE so far, everything is soloable, and then there is not much that gives a challenge at these lower levels, it also gets confirmed that this holds true for higher levels to. Which is sad, because the combat system really lends itselves to add spice and challenge to PvE fights.  Sadly its to late for them to correct this, because if they added challenge in the right way, it would also be great for the PvE endgame..

now how would i add challenge, quite simple, the deeper you get in ennemy territoriy, the harder the mobs get, forcing people to work together, first in small groups, later in bigger groups and in the end in fullfledged raid and mega raid groups..  Espescially openworld dungeons lend itselves for this... Combined with some spice upp mechnics like oldfshioned trains it could have made this world the sandbox we all have been wayting for...

if they ever open PvE challenge servers, i will be there...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Great to see people enjoying the game. 

Only problem I had  was the game was so damn crowded with players. 

Hopefully today will be better. 
    Recore said:
    Great to see people enjoying the game. 

Only problem I had  was the game was so damn crowded with players. 

Hopefully today will be better. 
    There is no way to overcome that at starting day in a game with a single starting hub and a true open world..

which makes it a good thing that the official start happens in 4 stages... Based on which of the 3 versions you pre ordered, or the non pre orders..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

The moment I saw the 30 euro pre-order doesnt even get you access to beta events... yea, I think I know what kind of game this is going to be. 
    Keep asuming...

asumption is the mother of all frackups...

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I like the game a lot, didn t think I would. That said the combat annoys the hell out of me.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

the weak points so far

- overcrowded starter area's which are unavoidable in a truely open non instanced world
    - where friendly NPCs have social avtivities, enenmy mobs so far, just stand around to be slaughtered.
    - no challenge in PvE so far, everything is soloable, and then there is not much that gives a challenge at these lower levels, it also gets confirmed that this holds true for higher levels to. Which is sad, because the combat system really lends itselves to add spice and challenge to PvE fights.  Sadly its to late for them to correct this, because if they added challenge in the right way, it would also be great for the PvE endgame..

if they ever open PvE challenge servers, i will be there...
    This is what concerns me.

I'm level 16. So far the mobs have been too easy. After I dinged 16 I spent 4 hours straight, just traveling seeing how far I could get and taking in the sights. There are a lot of really cool spots, and plenty of really cool looking purple mobs everywhere. I tried to fight a purple and it proceeded to slaughter me. No problem as I just broke from the engagement and ran.

Mobs only chase you for a very short distance and I ran through pack and packs of them. You can also get very very close before they aggro.

I'm concerned that as you level the mobs will always be too easy. 

The world design and Artwork are simply outstanding, I really like having to fight mobs to learn about them. The knowledge system,faction system and node system are very cool too.

Many many things to like about this game.

And it's never too late to improve something in my book.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    You're not missing anything by skipping the questing. The writing in this game is some of the worst I've seen, not to mention that opening cutscene (I really like Tay Zonday, but that opening narration was horrible).
  • adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

finally some positive comments. 

Now if I could figure out what to do with these nodes err whatever they are..

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    adderVXI said:

finally some positive comments. 

Now if I could figure out what to do with these nodes err whatever they are..

Bachus posted some informative videos about these nodes in another forum thread. Could probably get him to link them again! :pleased: 
  • Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 226
    I played for a few hours, I enjoyed it and turned it off. I want to experience everything for the first time while it matters and not during a beta. Cant wait for launch!