Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Impressions: Why I Won't Be Playing BDO

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Torval said:
    Heather Locklear was a babe, but not my type. I was more into the punk rock and new wave babes.
    Lol...

Tommy Lee wore her out pretty good.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Sucks that you had to learn the hard way, that's totally your fault though OP.
    I got a cbt2 key sent to me by Daum. Before i activated it, i spent a few hours researching  and watching videos,until i realized that this game isn't for me. Too bad, as it was looking promising. 
    End up giving it away to a friend that is still on the fence.
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    @silynse I feel for you, but you probably didn't realize that BDO fanboi flame week had started. Though there are a few reasoned opinions stated, ignore the trolls.
  • Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    I guess its time to wait for another mmorpg. I didn't like Black Desert Online very much. I guess I'll wait for Chronicles of Elyria.
  • PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    As somebody who is on the fence about playing this game, I really appreciate your opinion Silynse. People have been waffling on about this game as if it's the second coming. So it's good to see some dissenting opinions.

Thank you.
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Silynse said:
    I just played the beta for a few hours. Heres the breakdown as to why I wont be playing this game or buying it any time soon. And you can agree or disagree really wont matter, but this is informative for those who haven't tried it.

1. GENDER SPECIFIC CLASSES. You cant chose to be a female warrior, or a male archer or chose gender for any other class besides the wizard. Its ridiculous, boring, and quite shocking for a modern mmo.

2. Autopathing to quests. First off, HOW LAZY DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO NEED THIS GOD DAMNED UTILITY. Secondly, its buggy, boring, and implemented poorly. I mean seriously, how lazy are you that you want to play a game, but not actually play it....

3. No endgame content, no world bosses, and no raids. You can go on many forums, and on many YouTube videos, and they go on about the lack of end game content. Even after three years in Korea. Which means, no, they wont be spending the money to implement that in the US, since they are using our market to bolster sales obviously, to move on to the next development that they wont bring to us until its been in Asian markets for 3 years.

4. Chat only allows for the typing of 2 lines worth of words, which makes conversation difficult in groups.

5. Insane lack of diversity in heroes. yes you can change how you look in the beginning, ultimately, who cares because its all covered in head to toe armor. Its the typical Korean mmo. Everyone has the same armor in the same zones. Everyone has the same color, and the same helmet, same shield, same sword...

6. There is little to know effort put in to voice over correctly during cut scenes. The rest of the time there is no voiceover. It just plain cheeses out the entire thing. Horrible.

Honestly, this game looks great. Graphically it is impressive. Fight mechanics are fun. But the game falls VERY VERY VERY short of having survivability in US markets because it simply doesn't have anything to offer outside of creating a home and grinding yourself into the ground farming resources.
    As said earlier, there are many complaints about the lack of interest in the developers to create end game content, or significant amounts of raids and diversity; which is what is needed to maintain a western market audience. The west likes to be unique and possess individuality in our heroes we create, and we like to feel like we have a cause outside of fighting one another over resource nodes that honestly have no political input into the games world. It might as well be a raid, either way, we aren't changing the face of the imaginary world we are interacting with, EVER.

I may try back in a year and see if they have added enough pve endgame, maybe a few raids, or some good bosses to take down.... something.... anything besides "kill 5 wolves, kill 20 harder wolves, kill 40 harder weasels, kill 25 snakes, and then 25 poisonous snakes." lol Its really bad. It is pretty much lineage with some thrown in housing mechanics.

I really wanted to love this game. I love the character looks, and the feel of the fights, but ultimately it becomes boring VERY fast because of the lack of diversity and effort placed into character arc development, lack of story, lack of common enemy, and lack of a system which brings unity to the player base.
    Its a huge clustery, grindfest, with poor mechanics overall.

JUST WENT ONLINE TO REQUEST REFUND. "Customer Support will not refund pre-order packages if the user has downloaded and/or launched the game client." This is a Korean market scam man. If you try the game, even as a beta. Even just download the client. Youre screwed. Don't support this kind of company, or game. Period. This is worse than the BS that EA was pulling the past few years. Screw these guys.

Grats on your opinion of why YOU wont be playing the game. Hilarious that you think you can translate your feelings into predictions of its failure in the Western markets. Frankly, every reason you listed in my book is pathetic. If you play games for the things you described then you are an idiot....in my opinion of course. I will therefore now predict that BDO will be the next WoW. Forums are so useful dontchathink?
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    #1 What a character has in their pants = game worth playing or not.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Silynse said:
    I just played the beta for a few hours. Heres the breakdown as to why I wont be playing this game or buying it any time soon. And you can agree or disagree really wont matter, but this is informative for those who haven't tried it.

1. GENDER SPECIFIC CLASSES. You cant chose to be a female warrior, or a male archer or chose gender for any other class besides the wizard. Its ridiculous, boring, and quite shocking for a modern mmo.

2. Autopathing to quests. First off, HOW LAZY DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO NEED THIS GOD DAMNED UTILITY. Secondly, its buggy, boring, and implemented poorly. I mean seriously, how lazy are you that you want to play a game, but not actually play it....

3. No endgame content, no world bosses, and no raids. You can go on many forums, and on many YouTube videos, and they go on about the lack of end game content. Even after three years in Korea. Which means, no, they wont be spending the money to implement that in the US, since they are using our market to bolster sales obviously, to move on to the next development that they wont bring to us until its been in Asian markets for 3 years.

4. Chat only allows for the typing of 2 lines worth of words, which makes conversation difficult in groups.

5. Insane lack of diversity in heroes. yes you can change how you look in the beginning, ultimately, who cares because its all covered in head to toe armor. Its the typical Korean mmo. Everyone has the same armor in the same zones. Everyone has the same color, and the same helmet, same shield, same sword...

6. There is little to know effort put in to voice over correctly during cut scenes. The rest of the time there is no voiceover. It just plain cheeses out the entire thing. Horrible.

Honestly, this game looks great. Graphically it is impressive. Fight mechanics are fun. But the game falls VERY VERY VERY short of having survivability in US markets because it simply doesn't have anything to offer outside of creating a home and grinding yourself into the ground farming resources.
    As said earlier, there are many complaints about the lack of interest in the developers to create end game content, or significant amounts of raids and diversity; which is what is needed to maintain a western market audience. The west likes to be unique and possess individuality in our heroes we create, and we like to feel like we have a cause outside of fighting one another over resource nodes that honestly have no political input into the games world. It might as well be a raid, either way, we aren't changing the face of the imaginary world we are interacting with, EVER.

I may try back in a year and see if they have added enough pve endgame, maybe a few raids, or some good bosses to take down.... something.... anything besides "kill 5 wolves, kill 20 harder wolves, kill 40 harder weasels, kill 25 snakes, and then 25 poisonous snakes." lol Its really bad. It is pretty much lineage with some thrown in housing mechanics.

I really wanted to love this game. I love the character looks, and the feel of the fights, but ultimately it becomes boring VERY fast because of the lack of diversity and effort placed into character arc development, lack of story, lack of common enemy, and lack of a system which brings unity to the player base.

JUST WENT ONLINE TO REQUEST REFUND. "Customer Support will not refund pre-order packages if the user has downloaded and/or launched the game client." This is a Korean market scam man. If you try the game, even as a beta. Even just download the client. Youre screwed. Don't support this kind of company, or game. Period. This is worse than the BS that EA was pulling the past few years. Screw these guys.

Grats on your opinion of why YOU wont be playing the game. Hilarious that you think you can translate your feelings into predictions of its failure in the Western markets. Frankly, every reason you listed in my book is pathetic. If you play games for the things you described then you are an idiot....in my opinion of course. I will therefore now predict that BDO will be the next WoW. Forums are so useful dontchathink?
    It's going to fail in western markets. It hasn't done very well in any region. 
  • Dragon43591Dragon43591 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Neither has archeage.
  • bohrium924bohrium924 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Just played an hour of the game and frankly its not for me.  However I played for free with a beta key!

I do agree with your points, however I stopped when I noticed the rant below.

Its a typical Korean MMO, some will like, some wont.
  • noodles6966noodles6966 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Your reasons for not playing BDO are trivial. These might be valid reasons to you,and I respect that,but you are def the minority here. And a lot of people might not know this,but Archage is actually doing really well in NA,their patron subs are up and I personally enjoy the game. Owning ships,housing,farms,the crafting,the combat is fun. Sure the game got off to a very bad start,but it has bounced back. I see very little botting and no RMTs,no game is perfect. It still needs some adjustments here and there,especially with the cash shop,but companies gotta make money,and the people that work there need jobs. In todays world,it costs between 10 and 30 million dollars to keep an MMO running. I dont mind throwing some money at games if its worth it.
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    edited February 2016
    I didn't buy it (got a free couple of keys) but I played all day today. I REALLY tried to find the fun and I really wanted to love it but the most fun I had was my GF showing off her avatar's golden bikini and bouncy butt/boobs to me.

It was just so painfully dull in every way. It's gorgeous, I mean like Witcher 3 gorgeous, but that's about all it has going for it. Nothing deep or long-lasting and even though I definitely don't see scam, (at least not yet, the cash shop is 100% cosmetic) it's so tedious and dull, I just can't any more.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Silynse said:

i actually felt this way almost exactly and created a thread.  but i played the game for about a week off and on.  after the third or fourth time of putting in major hours it finally grew on me.  so yeah, its a bit of a stretch and very very strange when you play it.  but after playing it for more than a week you will get used to the "koreaness" of it.  its korean.  its different from what westerners are used to.  but if you take about a week or so, look at it two or three times, in three different weeks, you will get used to it and find out its enjoyable.  

its the age ole' get to level 40+ and you will see how cool it is.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    edited February 2016
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    Heather Locklear was a babe, but not my type. I was more into the punk rock and new wave babes.
    Lol...

Tommy Lee wore her out pretty good.
    yeah alot of those actresses are skanks

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • blutm8blutm8 Member UncommonPosts: 86
    edited February 2016
    iirc the "gender class-lock" is only on beta and not on release...

doesnt make it a better game, though... to change your appearance you can't just equipt new armor.. that WON'T change anything (except your stats)... you HAVE to buy costumes in the item shop to alter your visual appearance... and that is a no-go for me
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    I don't consider it a scam, but it's an absolutely terrible piece of dreck.
  • pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81
    This game will be F2P in 2 or 3 months... believe me!
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Combat was terrible and the game all around gave me a headache basically. Just not for me.
  • DzikuniDzikuni Member UncommonPosts: 38
    PvP game without full loot is boring for me ... 0 emotions, 0 adrenaline

I remember the days of playing WoW pvp and being happy.
    After dfo i cant play 95% of new mmos, its so fucking boring ...
    Fuck you Darkfall :/

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited February 2016
    Soki123 said:
    Combat was terrible and the game all around gave me a headache basically. Just not for me.
    Interesting, because after i played for like 45mins i had a headache too.

I blame it on the 30fps i got. Somehow my fps seemed locked to steady 30fps because no matter what i turned on or off in the settings, the game never went above or below 30fps on my machine ([email protected] , OC gtx970, 2560x1080)

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Can we just rename these all these sub forums <your game name> bitching?
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Volgore said:
    Soki123 said:
    Interesting, because after i played for like 45mins i had a headache too.

I blame it on the 30fps i got. Somehow my fps seemed locked to steady 30fps because no matter what i turned on or off in the settings, the game never went above or below 30fps on my machine ([email protected] , OC gtx970, 2560x1080)

Ya, my wife and I literally had headaches from it. Never has that happened in a game with us.
  • TStrokeTStroke Member UncommonPosts: 10
    They give away plenty of beta keys for free. I know because I got one, I just signed up on the site and got a mail for this beta. Don't pay if you're not sure you'll play I always say. 
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    The UI in this game is a COMPLETE failure. The graphics are cool but unless they make some changes I predict another major failure. I really want to like this game but personally I can't get around the stupid UI.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    The UI in this game is a COMPLETE failure. The graphics are cool but unless they make some changes I predict another major failure. I really want to like this game but personally I can't get around the stupid UI.
    The UI is completely customizable.  You an even play the game pretty comfortably with it completely turned off if you want.