Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Impressions: Why I Won't Be Playing BDO

Comments

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    This game has been a retail game in 3 different regions for over a year now. There were no secrets with this one. If it wasn't the game you wanted it to be then you didn't bother to do any research at all. This is not the WoW clone you were looking for. Plenty of mindless carrot on a stick theme park games out there for you to play. Next time do a little homework and save yourself some money, time, and emotional turmoil.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    One less hater in the game, good.

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Dont support this game because i hate it.

Ok.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693
    wow , sounds like a kiddy didnt do any research before buying

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573
    edited February 2016
    That's why I pLayed EvE for somany years and Lineage 2 because of the PVP that had a point I promised never to go back to eve and and l2 is dead to me so I'll have to wait u til June when I build my new PC and try Blade and Soul I really wanna play Crow fall though.
  • SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    edited February 2016
    Silynse said:
    I just played the beta for a few hours. Heres the breakdown as to why I wont be playing this game or buying it any time soon. And you can agree or disagree really wont matter, but this is informative for those who haven't tried it.

1. GENDER SPECIFIC CLASSES. You cant chose to be a female warrior, or a male archer or chose gender for any other class besides the wizard. Its ridiculous, boring, and quite shocking for a modern mmo.

2. Autopathing to quests. First off, HOW LAZY DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO NEED THIS GOD DAMNED UTILITY. Secondly, its buggy, boring, and implemented poorly. I mean seriously, how lazy are you that you want to play a game, but not actually play it....

3. No endgame content, no world bosses, and no raids. You can go on many forums, and on many YouTube videos, and they go on about the lack of end game content. Even after three years in Korea. Which means, no, they wont be spending the money to implement that in the US, since they are using our market to bolster sales obviously, to move on to the next development that they wont bring to us until its been in Asian markets for 3 years.

4. Chat only allows for the typing of 2 lines worth of words, which makes conversation difficult in groups.

5. Insane lack of diversity in heroes. yes you can change how you look in the beginning, ultimately, who cares because its all covered in head to toe armor. Its the typical Korean mmo. Everyone has the same armor in the same zones. Everyone has the same color, and the same helmet, same shield, same sword...

6. There is little to know effort put in to voice over correctly during cut scenes. The rest of the time there is no voiceover. It just plain cheeses out the entire thing. Horrible.

Honestly, this game looks great. Graphically it is impressive. Fight mechanics are fun. But the game falls VERY VERY VERY short of having survivability in US markets because it simply doesn't have anything to offer outside of creating a home and grinding yourself into the ground farming resources.
    As said earlier, there are many complaints about the lack of interest in the developers to create end game content, or significant amounts of raids and diversity; which is what is needed to maintain a western market audience. The west likes to be unique and possess individuality in our heroes we create, and we like to feel like we have a cause outside of fighting one another over resource nodes that honestly have no political input into the games world. It might as well be a raid, either way, we aren't changing the face of the imaginary world we are interacting with, EVER.

I may try back in a year and see if they have added enough pve endgame, maybe a few raids, or some good bosses to take down.... something.... anything besides "kill 5 wolves, kill 20 harder wolves, kill 40 harder weasels, kill 25 snakes, and then 25 poisonous snakes." lol Its really bad. It is pretty much lineage with some thrown in housing mechanics.

I really wanted to love this game. I love the character looks, and the feel of the fights, but ultimately it becomes boring VERY fast because of the lack of diversity and effort placed into character arc development, lack of story, lack of common enemy, and lack of a system which brings unity to the player base.
    Its a huge clustery, grindfest, with poor mechanics overall.

JUST WENT ONLINE TO REQUEST REFUND. "Customer Support will not refund pre-order packages if the user has downloaded and/or launched the game client." This is a Korean market scam man. If you try the game, even as a beta. Even just download the client. Youre screwed. Don't support this kind of company, or game. Period. This is worse than the BS that EA was pulling the past few years. Screw these guys.
    1. Yes. But I don't care about this.
    2. Been using this in the beta - it's great. Haven't encountered any bugs. Others mileage may vary I guess. I want this in my other MMO's please lol.
    3. This does bother me, I'll be honest. Like, what are you supposed to do? I quite like raids and wb's. Hmmmm. Depends how much other stuff thier is to do. 
    4. Chat? Meh. I'm generally anti social and have many anxietys interacting with people I don't know. So, again, don't care.
    5. Don't care.
    6. Yeah, these were hilariously bad. And I think they copy pasted thier setting, plot, story out of the book "Fantasy MMO's for Dummies". I haven't cringed that hard in a long time.

I also quite like the trade and hubs systems - that's really interesting. And some of the other game systems like horses and fishing, housing, etc,etc.

Summary: I've enjoyed what I've played so far in the beta, but this isn't the glorious ray of sunshine coming out of gods asshole that many were predicting. But, it is what it is, and doesn't try to hide that - A buy to play MMO, with lots of grinding and killing stuff, and a cash shop. End of story.

Its only $30, and for that's fine for what you get. The higher packs seem like a waste of money. Everyone should just know what it's about before they hand over some cash, and it's pretty easy I find that out.

NOTE: As to it being a scam? Nope. You might not like it, or didn't bother to take 3 seconds to check before paying over $$$$, but it ain't no scam. They are totally up front about how the game operates. Many won't like it, and I don't even like some of it, but a scam it is not.

NOTE 2: Disclaimer - I didn't pre order. I am playing using a free beta key. So, not an invested fanboi :-P
  • forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    It will drop the box price soon . I'll give it a go then but I'll be damn if I'm paying 30$ where 2 other region get it free. 

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    forcelima said:
    It will drop the box price soon . I'll give it a go then but I'll be damn if I'm paying 30$ where 2 other region get it free. 

Even then I think it will struggle against the likes of BnS. This smells like the Asian Wildstar.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    *sigh*

So you don't like the game and it's a scam?
    Or the fact that it has always said clearly if you pre-order and play the game, you can't refund?

And no, I'm not even defending the game. I don't own and probably never will. I just don't understand the need to throw a tantrum when there's really no news here.

Basically, you bought the game, it wasn't as good as you hoped for and now you want your money back.
    Pre-ordering a product that is not out of development and then opening the client a single time should not preclude a refund. I would not hesitate to request a chargeback with that amount of fuckery. Wonder what the reason is? I'm guessing they have suspicions that the game is going to flop in NA/EU just like it has everywhere else it has launched. 
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited February 2016
    Silynse said:

2. Autopathing to quests. First off, HOW LAZY DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO NEED THIS GOD DAMNED UTILITY. Secondly, its buggy, boring, and implemented poorly. I mean seriously, how lazy are you that you want to play a game, but not actually play it....

This is what's most striking about BDO. The insane ease of the gameplay.

"Hey, here is a giant world....oh, and you travel through it with waypoints and automatically run to quest NPC....don't need to even be at your screen"

lol?

you don't even need to explore the game, the game is already explored for you, with everything marked on your map and waypoints to everything

why even bother playing at all? just send people loot by mail while they're afk
    Kiyoris said:
    Silynse said:

This is what's most striking about BDO. The insane ease of the gameplay.

"Hey, here is a giant world....oh, and you travel through it with waypoints and automatically run to quest NPC....don't need to even be at your screen"

lol?
    You are not forced to use waypoints and auto run? lol.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    I didn't know much about BDO and its been talked about a lot here.  Basically, for me, the combat system may be the only thing that would appeal to me, but everything else seems to kill it, so this impression was enough for me to determine this isn't a game I'd be into.

As for the beta thing.. I mean.. when you preorder a game, generally if you are in a beta, and its not a released product, you CAN get your money back for it... so I think people are being kind of harsh.  While I wouldn't go so far as saying its a "scam"  I'd probably have said, "they have an unorthodox return policy" but, I guess I don't have to worry much about that now as I probably won't be picking this up unless they expand character creation and fix some of the pathing issues. 

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited February 2016
    Daikuru said:
    the POINT of MMO should be EXPLORATION, ADVENTURE, RISK / REWARD and COMMUNITY

not clicking on a map and autorunning afk everywhere, it's like playing with zombies
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    *sigh*

Or the fact that it has always said clearly if you pre-order and play the game, you can't refund?

And no, I'm not even defending the game. I don't own and probably never will. I just don't understand the need to throw a tantrum when there's really no news here.

Basically, you bought the game, it wasn't as good as you hoped for and now you want your money back.
    Pre-ordering a product that is not out of development and then opening the client a single time should not preclude a refund. I would not hesitate to request a chargeback with that amount of fuckery. Wonder what the reason is? I'm guessing they have suspicions that the game is going to flop in NA/EU just like it has everywhere else it has launched. 
    Ok so you knew it had already flopped elsewhere, even as a ftp game. This makes the decision to blindly throw money at the game even more bizarre.
    With a bit of effort, getting a beta key wasn't that hard. Far better doing a bit of site searching than throwing money at it then complaining that you threw money at it.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Kiyoris said:
    Daikuru said:
    the POINT of MMO should be EXPLORATION, ADVENTURE and COMMUNITY

not clicking on a map and autorunning afk everywhere, it's like playing with zombies
    You can still do that. Explore and Adventure. The community bit is a "your mileage may vary" proposition.

Or have we come to the point where players just can't think for themselves and if the game offers something they "have to" do it/"have to" use it?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Kiyoris said:
    Daikuru said:
    the POINT of MMO should be EXPLORATION, ADVENTURE and COMMUNITY

And MY POINT is that you have the choice, go and walk around, explore, have an adventure, be part of a community. You dont have to use all the conveniences.  There will be plenty of people walking around.

- Albert Einstein

JudgeUK said:
    *sigh*

Ok so you knew it had already flopped elsewhere, even as a ftp game. This makes the decision to blindly throw money at the game even more bizarre.
    With a bit of effort, getting a beta key wasn't that hard. Far better doing a bit of site searching than throwing money at it then complaining that you threw money at it.
    I haven't paid them anything as I already know how this game is going to turn out. I was addressing the refund policy which is not consumer friendly. I've never heard of a company refusing refunds during a beta for things like opening the client. I can understand refusing a refund post-launch when a person may have spent a lot more time playing, but this is a beta. The servers will be wiped if I'm not mistaken, so why refuse a refund?
  • VanyeVanye Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Silynse said:

JUST WENT ONLINE TO REQUEST REFUND. "Customer Support will not refund pre-order packages if the user has downloaded and/or launched the game client." This is a Korean market scam man. If you try the game, even as a beta. Even just download the client. Youre screwed. Don't support this kind of company, or game. Period. This is worse than the BS that EA was pulling the past few years. Screw these guys.

I'm guessing you were in such a hurry to play the game that you neglected to read what you were clicking in order for the game to launch. In order for the game to even launch, you had to agree to waiving your rights to a refund. It was very clearly written.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited February 2016
    Kiyoris said:
    Daikuru said:
    the POINT of MMO should be EXPLORATION, ADVENTURE, RISK / REWARD and COMMUNITY

Well I agree that autorun is a lame feature.  It's really a shame that they make you use it.

Oh wait, they don't so where exactly is the problem?

(there might be a hint in your computer screen's reflection)  :p

I mean EVE has autopilot, but I don't use it much either.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Well it is meant to be F2P game, so don't expect a lot of content, at the other hand people need more fun and social based endgame stuff, leave raids in world of warcraft ples.
    I was browsing reddit and apparently it costs you all of your energy (labor points) to report someone, and also costs energy to use chat. 
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Torval said:

Their skill system is like the Faberge commerical - you'll press this skill button and another and another and so on and so on....

Did....

Did you just... post something from your fap library to make a point on MMORPG?

I don't know if that's sad or awesome...

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited February 2016
    im saying since forever you can download WTFAST and play the rusian open beta with a english patch, i played some days for understand this game total crap and spend zero money

well im sad for you op but again these new games and dev say these games are alway better that they are in reality, they are lying about stuft most of the time too, they promise but never deliver

i agree we should have a law for refund these crap games, they tell these games are not what they are in reality, and this game got pretty good graphic so that not easy see the total crap this game is by watching video.

also they make it realy hard for try, they charge for ALPHA KEY , rarely do a open beta ect

they give such features many people pre order because they want start when the game release, they dont want be behind when they are competitive either, so these alpha key also usualy come with early acess to the free games

almost a scam, i would do a charge back too
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Velocinox said:
    Torval said:

Their skill system is like the Faberge commerical - you'll press this skill button and another and another and so on and so on....

Did....

Did you just... post something from your fap library to make a point on MMORPG?

I don't know if that's sad or awesome...
    I actually used to use this shampoo.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    edited February 2016
    I am not really thrilled with the game so far but I think you may be too critical on some of these smaller issues.

I do think that 2 and 6 are both bigger problems, but I think the auto pathing feature is an interesting compromise to having no fast travel.  The voice acting is definitely very ... rough, and that is putting it nicely.  I certainly agree with you about that.

Right now I am a bit surprised and displeased by how busy the UI is.  It seems that I cannot disable arrows around my feet without disabling the waypoints on the map, the contextual R menu is good in theory but in practice it pops up every time you move a few feet in a town, there seems to be a tutorial guide as to what buttons do what constantly listing things next to my character, scrolling combat text is on by default and uses the full name of every skill you use, quest mobs literally say that they are quest mobs above their head, and every player has a title family name and player name above their head (including yourself, but that was easy enough to disable in options).

There is just a ton more going on there than there needs to be, and I am still trying to figure out how to disable as much of it as possible.

Also, everything about conversations stinks!  The ui and the writing!

Those negatives said, I am still enjoying it and am definitely keeping my preorder, as all the obvious positives are still outweighing the negatives for me (especially at a $30 price point).