Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is what people really believe they're getting when they invest in Star Citizen

Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
Video compiled over years of advertisement and backer presentation.

He says in the presentation it's material from as far back as 2014, but I notice some from 2012. Wow, that game really looks great, huh. Well, where is that game? Why don't we see 90% of this in the game's current iteration?

"It's just alpha, things take time."

But this is "game footage" (or people believe it is) from 2 years ago. Why isn't material from 2 years ago yet in what they call "alpha"? Why, when I log in, am I not in a world that "looks like those 2 year old depictions"?

"You just don't understand game development."

I understand the difference between what is shown, from 2 years ago, and what exists, and that's the real point of this message.

The topic of today is "false advertising".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_advertising

Comments

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    The white knights will tell you that good games take a long time, and the best games take even longer.

They'll still be telling us this five years and several hundred million dollars in digital space pixels from now.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Looks like they are waking up. Must be hell when reality hits you sqaure in the nose!

https://t.co/4wcwlF33G3
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

What's Rule 9?  Taking Roberts name in vain?  Questioning the eternal plan?

They've got to focus on SQ42, so they can get something out as proof of competence.   I don't expect that to work, but they have to try.  They need to deliver something that looks and plays well.   If Roberts and clique would get out of the way, the teams might be able to do something along those lines.  However, that's not likely, based on history.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Erillion's SC phone hotline is ringing as we speak ...
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Congrats on your mvp, Ghost. It is a good video, even if I don't believe in the project.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited February 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    The white knights will tell you that good games take a long time, and the best games take even longer.

I think anyone sensible understands that, or rather at the least should. I mean are you arguing that is not the case?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    To be honest the only thing i have invested in is a nice bottle of vodka for launch day. 

Because that will be a drink worthy day of entertainment. 

This have been a good conversation

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I love the idea of this game because it generates an endless amount of entertaining threads.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I dont have an issue with CIG needing more time.  My issue comes from Chris Roberts changing his mind and then acting like he never did anything wrong.  The guy is his own worst enemy.  If he would just stop trying to get more sales by adding features or making excuses things would chill out. 

Examples of changing things without apology or acknowledging they changed:
    1. The name Star Citizen comes from the idea that you play the single player and earned a title/job/something in the PU.  This was all over the news sites in 2012.  Now he splits the single player so you dont even need it to use the PU.  I guess whatever you earned in the single player portion is no longer relevant.

2. Back in 2012, there was never any mention of splitting off the single player.  Here is a quote from CR

"The plan is to support Star Citizen in a similar fashion to Guild Wars 2. You buy the base game, get the single player Squadron 42 campaign and access to the Star Citizen universe, and then have the option to buy cosmetic and other non-balance-altering items for either real money or the in-game currency you earn."

3. Co-op was removed and treated like no big thing

4. He continues to bring back limited edition ships and offer lifetime insurance while also trying to make it sound like it is never coming back

"anyone who backs for the first time after July 6th will not have LTI on their account. If you’re on the fence, the next four days are the time to join the Star Citizen project! It’s now or never for those seeking lifetime hull insurance. " July 2013

5. At the start, he specifically said, two years was the goal and stretch goals would NOT delay the release.  He even went to far as to comment that taking 5 years to build the game would be too long

"I'm confident now that we'll be able to compete with any AAA game out there,” he says. “I can't do what I did with Freelancer, or what id did with Rage, and take five years to release it. At that point, the moment in time will be gone. But in two years, it will be pretty great.”  Dec 2012

6. Star Marine was promoted to heck and back during 2015.  Every video and press released focused on it and then suddenly we are all stupid and it was just a test environment

7. He is supposed to be a seasoned game developer with actual experience but he has missed every frickin target date he ever gave.  It isnt that we dont understand game development, it is that Chris is an idiot and continues to give us dates he cant meet.  That latest article was a slap in the face.  He acted like he could have explained target dates better and it was our issue for not understanding them.  Hey Chris, when you say "in a few weeks" could you explain that better?  When you say that to me I feel as though it is almost ready but that could just be me being stupid.  Maybe if you rephrased the answer and instead of saying "in a few weeks"  you said "never" I would have understood it better, my bad...

Those are just off the top of my head.  I just wish Chris and Ben would shut up and do something instead of saying anything to make sales. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Yeah, it's shameless.
  • MoparMopar Member UncommonPosts: 26

Erillion's SC phone hotline is ringing as we speak ...

Thanks for the laugh, was perfect timing.   I'm sure you will see him in 3..2..1.........
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    is anyone else getting tired of seeing Star Citizen related topics on the most common posts on this site.

any chance people can let it go and move on?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

SEANMCAD said:
    is anyone else getting tired of seeing Star Citizen related topics on the most common posts on this site.

any chance people can let it go and move on?
    No.
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    That's funny. The last post I made about Star Citizen got deleted without any message as to why. No warning, no contact from the mod at all...

Is there some group I have to join so I can make posts about Star Citizen so the mods won't stealth delete it?

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

Velocinox said:
    That's funny. The last post I made about Star Citizen got deleted without any message as to why. No warning, no contact from the mod at all...

Is there some group I have to join so I can make posts about Star Citizen so the mods won't stealth delete it?
    That happened to me about a week ago as well. No message, it just disappeared. And there was nothing inflammatory in it.
    Velocinox said:

That happened to me about a week ago as well. No message, it just disappeared. And there was nothing inflammatory in it.
    it more than likely got moved, not deleted. the effect is the same no notification

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Velocinox said:

Actually yes, see my comment above about the trio Stooges. The OP is a member, the other two you can easily identify by making a quick survey regarding SC related threads over the past 10 - 15 days.
    SEANMCAD said:
    Velocinox said:

it more than likely got moved, not deleted. the effect is the same no notification
    Do they really move specific posts out of threads without any warning? I've never seen that behavior before. Where would they put them? Mine was addressing the thread directly.
    edited February 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Velocinox said:

Do they really move specific posts out of threads without any warning? I've never seen that behavior before. Where would they put them? Mine was addressing the thread directly.
    no but if the thread only has about 3 posts it can seem as if your specific post got deleted.

basically the only times i have ever thought my posts got deleted after some looking I discovered that the thread got moved. That might not have been your case though. I am sure (sarcasm now) that the mods for SC are just as evil as SC and they all worship satan and eat babies for breakfast so I dont want to break that meme just to be clear I am in line as I should be

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    edited February 2016
    Alright, thanks for the feedback guys. Going to chalk this one up to new forum bug.

Sorry Mods... (unless it really was you, then... :tongue:)

EDIT: That doesn't really look like I'm sticking my tongue out... looks more like I'm waiting for a treat... :angry: 

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    SEANMCAD said:
    Velocinox said:

Nope it's all a part of the SC conspiracy... nothing negative said about SC is allowed to stay up on these forums... 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

I just found it obnoxious. It was like post 300.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Shodanas said:
    Velocinox said:

Actually yes, see my comment above about the trio Stooges. The OP is a member, the other two you can easily identify by making a quick survey regarding SC related threads over the past 10 - 15 days.
    Why does it hurt you so that I express opinions contrary to yours, in the process citing relevant references? Are you hurt by the way I actively negate the spin of scorg propaganda?

You know I know the answer to this and why. I just thought you'd like to talk about it.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    The 5%ers
    Distopia said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Velocinox said:

Nope it's all a part of the SC conspiracy... nothing negative said about SC is allowed to stay up on these forums... 
    exactly.

This discussion has been closed.