Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Impressions: Why I Won't Be Playing BDO

SilynseSilynse Member UncommonPosts: 19
edited February 2016 in Black Desert Online
I just played the beta for a few hours. Heres the breakdown as to why I wont be playing this game or buying it any time soon. And you can agree or disagree really wont matter, but this is informative for those who haven't tried it.

1. GENDER SPECIFIC CLASSES. You cant chose to be a female warrior, or a male archer or chose gender for any other class besides the wizard. Its ridiculous, boring, and quite shocking for a modern mmo.

2. Autopathing to quests. First off, HOW LAZY DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO NEED THIS GOD DAMNED UTILITY. Secondly, its buggy, boring, and implemented poorly. I mean seriously, how lazy are you that you want to play a game, but not actually play it....

3. No endgame content, no world bosses, and no raids. You can go on many forums, and on many YouTube videos, and they go on about the lack of end game content. Even after three years in Korea. Which means, no, they wont be spending the money to implement that in the US, since they are using our market to bolster sales obviously, to move on to the next development that they wont bring to us until its been in Asian markets for 3 years.

4. Chat only allows for the typing of 2 lines worth of words, which makes conversation difficult in groups.

5. Insane lack of diversity in heroes. yes you can change how you look in the beginning, ultimately, who cares because its all covered in head to toe armor. Its the typical Korean mmo. Everyone has the same armor in the same zones. Everyone has the same color, and the same helmet, same shield, same sword...

6. There is little to know effort put in to voice over correctly during cut scenes. The rest of the time there is no voiceover. It just plain cheeses out the entire thing. Horrible.

Honestly, this game looks great. Graphically it is impressive. Fight mechanics are fun. But the game falls VERY VERY VERY short of having survivability in US markets because it simply doesn't have anything to offer outside of creating a home and grinding yourself into the ground farming resources.
As said earlier, there are many complaints about the lack of interest in the developers to create end game content, or significant amounts of raids and diversity; which is what is needed to maintain a western market audience. The west likes to be unique and possess individuality in our heroes we create, and we like to feel like we have a cause outside of fighting one another over resource nodes that honestly have no political input into the games world. It might as well be a raid, either way, we aren't changing the face of the imaginary world we are interacting with, EVER.

I may try back in a year and see if they have added enough pve endgame, maybe a few raids, or some good bosses to take down.... something.... anything besides "kill 5 wolves, kill 20 harder wolves, kill 40 harder weasels, kill 25 snakes, and then 25 poisonous snakes." lol Its really bad. It is pretty much lineage with some thrown in housing mechanics.

I really wanted to love this game. I love the character looks, and the feel of the fights, but ultimately it becomes boring VERY fast because of the lack of diversity and effort placed into character arc development, lack of story, lack of common enemy, and lack of a system which brings unity to the player base.
Its a huge clustery, grindfest, with poor mechanics overall.

JUST WENT ONLINE TO REQUEST REFUND. "Customer Support will not refund pre-order packages if the user has downloaded and/or launched the game client." This is a Korean market scam man. If you try the game, even as a beta. Even just download the client. Youre screwed. Don't support this kind of company, or game. Period. This is worse than the BS that EA was pulling the past few years. Screw these guys.

Post edited by MikeB on

Comments

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Silynse said:
    Edit for sanity
    All I am seeing here is:  I had no idea what the premise of this game was before I played and it's not for me.  Your entire rant in one sentence.  Easy day, next?

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Good rant but fail to see anything pointing to the game being a scam...sorry SCAM OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    *sigh*

So you don't like the game and it's a scam?
    Or the fact that it has always said clearly if you pre-order and play the game, you can't refund?

And no, I'm not even defending the game. I don't own and probably never will. I just don't understand the need to throw a tantrum when there's really no news here.

Basically, you bought the game, it wasn't as good as you hoped for and now you want your money back.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    well for me the tween style avatars is far to distracting for me to play this game anyway

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Um... none of those points have anything remotely to do with being a scam. Sure, you can say those are flaws with the game (many of which people might not agree are a big issue or even can claim those are GOOD things) but its not remotely a scam at all. Might want to actually make legit titles instead of typing out some fake title.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited February 2016
    You bought it. You used it. You don't like it so you expect your money back?

The word  scam  may not mean what you think it means.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited February 2016
    Purutzil said:
    Um... none of those points have anything remotely to do with being a scam. Sure, you can say those are flaws with the game (many of which people might not agree are a big issue or even can claim those are GOOD things) but its not remotely a scam at all. Might want to actually make legit titles instead of typing out some fake title.
    in fact the irony is 'scam' implies more of a master mind then 'screw up' but that is a different conversation 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Bluefear77Bluefear77 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Since I will be playing this game I'm happy to hear you will not.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    I never understood this idea of getting refunds. Follow some simple rules and you'll never need one:
    1) never pay for any beta
    2) wait for the game to be released into production
    3) read the reviews, watch some videos
    4) buy the game, or not
    5) never ask for a refund

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• LoudWisperLoudWisper Member UncommonPosts: 76
    edited February 2016
    you can but and try most things then return them.  Why should games be different?   Because that is just the way it is?  that does not make things right.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    No, you USED a Beta key that you obtained from a PURCHASE.  Should have gotten a free key.  Harder to come by but you're not locked in if you use it.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Nowadays, everyone seems to expect their money back whenever they decide it should happen, regardless of what the "silly" TOS may say. 

And if the game company refuses the refund, the player simply does a chargeback.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I'm not sure you're using the correct word.  I don't like it... ok.  However, the things you mentioned aren't a SCAM, they just are part of their game.

I self identify as a monkey.

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    But as you said... you did the research and knew what this game was as its been out for years, right?
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Half your objections were objective and helpful, like noting how well the auto-pathing functioned. Thanks for those. 
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    *sigh*

So you don't like the game and it's a scam?
    Or the fact that it has always said clearly if you pre-order and play the game, you can't refund?

And no, I'm not even defending the game. I don't own and probably never will. I just don't understand the need to throw a tantrum when there's really no news here.

Basically, you bought the game, it wasn't as good as you hoped for and now you want your money back.
    I had my money back 2 months after I pre-purchased it. Then again, I live in The Netherlands where Daum Europe is located as well, and they neglected one tiny part of Dutch Law, turning the 14-day refund period into a 12-month period...

Also gotta note that I didn't ask for a refund because I disliked the game, but rather that I won't be paying for a a SOON™ F2P title...
  • A1learjetA1learjet Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Silynse said:
    I just played the beta for a few hours. Heres the breakdown as to why I wont be playing this game or buying it any time soon. And you can agree or disagree really wont matter, but this is informative for those who haven't tried it.

1. GENDER SPECIFIC CLASSES. You cant chose to be a female warrior, or a male archer or chose gender for any other class besides the wizard. Its ridiculous, boring, and quite shocking for a modern mmo.

2. Autopathing to quests. First off, HOW LAZY DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO NEED THIS GOD DAMNED UTILITY. Secondly, its buggy, boring, and implemented poorly. I mean seriously, how lazy are you that you want to play a game, but not actually play it....

3. No endgame content, no world bosses, and no raids. You can go on many forums, and on many YouTube videos, and they go on about the lack of end game content. Even after three years in Korea. Which means, no, they wont be spending the money to implement that in the US, since they are using our market to bolster sales obviously, to move on to the next development that they wont bring to us until its been in Asian markets for 3 years.

4. Chat only allows for the typing of 2 lines worth of words, which makes conversation difficult in groups.

5. Insane lack of diversity in heroes. yes you can change how you look in the beginning, ultimately, who cares because its all covered in head to toe armor. Its the typical Korean mmo. Everyone has the same armor in the same zones. Everyone has the same color, and the same helmet, same shield, same sword...

6. There is little to know effort put in to voice over correctly during cut scenes. The rest of the time there is no voiceover. It just plain cheeses out the entire thing. Horrible.

Honestly, this game looks great. Graphically it is impressive. Fight mechanics are fun. But the game falls VERY VERY VERY short of having survivability in US markets because it simply doesn't have anything to offer outside of creating a home and grinding yourself into the ground farming resources.
    As said earlier, there are many complaints about the lack of interest in the developers to create end game content, or significant amounts of raids and diversity; which is what is needed to maintain a western market audience. The west likes to be unique and possess individuality in our heroes we create, and we like to feel like we have a cause outside of fighting one another over resource nodes that honestly have no political input into the games world. It might as well be a raid, either way, we aren't changing the face of the imaginary world we are interacting with, EVER.

I may try back in a year and see if they have added enough pve endgame, maybe a few raids, or some good bosses to take down.... something.... anything besides "kill 5 wolves, kill 20 harder wolves, kill 40 harder weasels, kill 25 snakes, and then 25 poisonous snakes." lol Its really bad. It is pretty much lineage with some thrown in housing mechanics.

I really wanted to love this game. I love the character looks, and the feel of the fights, but ultimately it becomes boring VERY fast because of the lack of diversity and effort placed into character arc development, lack of story, lack of common enemy, and lack of a system which brings unity to the player base.
    Its a huge clustery, grindfest, with poor mechanics overall.

JUST WENT ONLINE TO REQUEST REFUND. "Customer Support will not refund pre-order packages if the user has downloaded and/or launched the game client." This is a Korean market scam man. If you try the game, even as a beta. Even just download the client. Youre screwed. Don't support this kind of company, or game. Period. This is worse than the BS that EA was pulling the past few years. Screw these guys.
    I see it as he bought the pre release to play the beta.

But on his rant I guess he didnt take the time to watch the video streamers out there on Korean version and see what the game looks like fully implemented.
     And see that male version are coming for the classes lacking one now.  Auto pathing to quests  done in many games and same with BDO you can  stop it or contiune any time. As for Bosses  well you combine those 5  scrolls or earn a summon boss scrolls.  yet 2hrs of game time he had no idea.

Ive not played have a CBT2  key and just have watched many hrs of videos to see that Ill enjoy it

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I knew someone would complain about auto-run because it is so easy.  I knew someone would say it's not a problem because you're not forced to use it.  You can still take control of your character and run where you want.  But it bugs them just because it's there... 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Nowadays, everyone seems to expect their money back whenever they decide it should happen, regardless of what the "silly" TOS may say. 

And if the game company refuses the refund, the player simply does a chargeback.
    I tried to take an open game back to Best Buy because I didn't agree with the TOS. They wouldn't accept it because I opened the DVD sleeve. The TOS was on the DVD. There was no way to read it without doing something that would prevent me from returning it if I refused the TOS. It's a catch-22.
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Nothing solid here m8 .. like everyone else said , u bought the product .. your fault.
    In other words , i would love to give this game a go , if someone has an extra key , would appreciate it!
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Haha, so something is a scam because you don't like it? Good one.
    As for the refund issue, it states in the FAQ (that is handily placed on the pre-order page) exactly what the terms are, simple as that.

Perhaps pre-ordering games is not for you if you can't be bothered to research what you're pre-ordering?
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited February 2016
    Silynse said:

1. Gender locked classes have no impact on game play.   I don't like gender locked classes either but a dislike for gender locked classes does not = scam or bad game.

2.  Auto-pathing to quests have little impact in game play.  I don't like auto-pathing either but a dislike for auto-pathing does not = scam or bad game.  Especially if the option to turn it off is later implemented.

3.  BDO is a sandbox.  Sand box games do not require an end game.  As long as developers include a variety of things for players to engage in, that take time to acquire, and bring about a sense of achievement upon completion, it satisfies the barometer necessary to be considered a sand box.  Only players who require "hand-holding" or for the developer to dictate their game play have a problem with games that do not include an "end game," "world bosses," "raids," or whatever other "end-game" feature a player may need to satisfy guidance or their lack of initiative, imagination or creativity.  If you do not like games that lack the necessity for a developer to provide guidance and direction, then don't play in a "sandbox."

4.  Chat box features limiting word counts do no = scam or bad game.  An argument could be made that limiting word counts in a chat box would be an improvement, not a worsening.

5.  White a variety in customization is certainly a plus, a lack of it does not = scam or a bad game.  While I am one who thinks graphics and customization in a game are important, there are many who do not.  This is a matter of preference.  

6.  Complaining about voice when it is offered and then about no voice when it isn't nullifies the entire argument being made.  You either hate it because its offered or you are happy because it isn't.  It can't be both.

Lastly, a whole lot of people would be ecstatic to play a game like Lineage with housing.  Millions even.  Not a very good analogy to make when attempting to describe a bad game.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    edited February 2016
    Silynse said:

JUST WENT ONLINE TO REQUEST REFUND. 
    Why didn't you do your "due diligence" before you spent a dime? Why are you spending money on a product you know nothing about?

as far as I'm concerned /lessonlearned. (I hope)
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    I guess you checked the box that essentially said you can no longer refund the product after launching Cbt2.  I'm sure if you whine enough they will still give you the refund, which shouldn't be a problem for you.  I hope not though, you deserve to lose your money.

You could have found information addressing every issue you brought up prior to pre ordering the game.  Nothing you stated is new information.  In fact it seems like you did look up information from the Kr/Russian release as there is no way you could have a legitimate opinion about class diversity or end game after a couple hours of beta.  So did you just preorder a game which you knew you wouldn't like because the graphics are pretty?