Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five Ultima Online Legacies That Hold True Today - The List at MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

DMKano said:

Watching my friends play UO and EQ kept me from playing mmorpgs for years. Though skill based systems and strong crafting are attractive.

Watching my friend (hi Sean) - play UO is what got me into UO and EQ1 and every MMORPG release since 1998.

Same
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Konfess said:

I played UO, and was subbed for 3 years. But from what I have read and been told, UO was nothing but exploits that the community took as features. Item 5 should be renamed exploits, because in the Dev's mind that is what it was. A dead player should have been rezed by their fellow players, the body and gear should been guarded by players in the area. Skills would have been leveled by game play and not sitting around in a pickpocket circle.
    So snooping shouldn't have been leveled by snooping. Makes sense.....
  • Gidge13Gidge13 Member CommonPosts: 4
    PvP is alive and well and if you want to live in Felucca and you support that playstyle by all means, y'all come back and play! I think those who complain about how Trammel killed UO are most likely the ones who were just PK'ing non-consensuals and left because they ran out of victims and could not stand up to the ones who fought back. Am I wrong? Be prepared for superlative trash talking though. Well trash typing.

If you like doing your own thing and having fun, or role playing, or crafting or fishing or or or..... UO still is awesome. :) I don't PvP anymore myself and look at me! I am still entertained!
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    fodell54 said:
    Konfess said:

I played UO, and was subbed for 3 years. But from what I have read and been told, UO was nothing but exploits that the community took as features. Item 5 should be renamed exploits, because in the Dev's mind that is what it was. A dead player should have been rezed by their fellow players, the body and gear should been guarded by players in the area. Skills would have been leveled by game play and not sitting around in a pickpocket circle.
    They would macro it all night long while they slept. There were a bunch of such macros going on for skill gains.
    UO did add some code to defeat that.

Once upon a time....

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    edited February 2016
    strange even in the age of internet we still get things muffled
    guess as always when the "'trammel killed uo statement comes it is what the person posting wants to hear
    fact (it been posted and when companies gave numbers shown) UO population increased right after trammel and rose for a little while before the eventual decline.
    considering by the time trammel came live it had newer mmorpg like EQ to deal with that says a lot!
    been part of an anti pkers patrol i can tell you how many i seen potential new players quit due to pkers camping right outside the towns.
    now it might be nice for the pker who zergs 20-30 newbies a day but losing that amount of buisness made origin do what they did back then.
    so when ex pkers come here to say how great it was for them i always laugh as clearly most did not and certainly the company did not
    there was always fellucia to stay on and pk each other but did this players do so .NO!
    they all ran off to trammel and sat at bank complaining. i recall offering this guys back then moaning to come to fellucia and fight my squad if they want to pvp .got insults but never once did they go. preying on weak is what this guys call pvp.actually fighting your match is a no no ! if they were so many ,all they had to do was stay on fellucia and that be that
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    hercules said:
    strange even in the age of internet we still get things muffled
    guess as always when the "'trammel killed uo statement comes it is what the person posting wants to hear
    fact (it been posted and when companies gave numbers shown) UO population increased right after trammel and rose for a little while before the eventual decline.
    considering by the time trammel came live it had newer mmorpg like EQ to deal with that says a lot!
    been part of an anti pkers patrol i can tell you how many i seen potential new players quit due to pkers camping right outside the towns.
    now it might be nice for the pker who zergs 20-30 newbies a day but losing that amount of buisness made origin do what they did back then.
    so when ex pkers come here to say how great it was for them i always laugh as clearly most did not and certainly the company did not
    there was always fellucia to stay on and pk each other but did this players do so .NO!
    they all ran off to trammel and sat at bank complaining. i recall offering this guys back then moaning to come to fellucia and fight my squad if they want to pvp .got insults but never once did they go. preying on weak is what this guys call pvp.actually fighting your match is a no no ! if they were so many ,all they had to do was stay on fellucia and that be that

I stayed in felluca for 3 years before finally leaving that ghost town.

While playing I mostly spent my time PKKing, hunting red and keeping troubled areas safe for blue adventurers.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    fodell54 said:
    Konfess said:

So Snooping shouldn't have been leveled by exploiting.  I hope this makes sense..... 

I am not here to explain, teach, or define exploiting.  For whatever reason code was not put in place from the start to prevent it, but the Terms of Service often includes language that states use of the program, even if nothing prevents it, in an unintended manner is a violation of the TOS.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I forgot to point out that the majority of the most populated free UO shards follow the Trammel / PvE ruleset with consensual PvP if it has any at all. Even when it's free the PvP ( gankers as others pointed out - fair fights are a no no ) players can barely fill servers.
  • marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Thank you Garrett, best article I have read here for a long time.

One day a new game will engross me like UO did ... maybe

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• Asherons_CallAsherons_Call Member CommonPosts: 5
    I'm not so sure that these legacies do hold true. While there is a small minority of us that want some (and I stress some) of those it's obvious the majority don't want them, or they'd still be standard features in modern MMO's.

Most successful MMO's today are class based, quest hubbed, non OW PvP, no full loot Themeparks. I'd say those legacies are dead for a reason.

Exactly. Successful MMORPG's cater towards consumers. While niche games cater towards hardcore-gamers. 

The remember so much from my days on Asheron's Call's Darktide (PVP server) and UO, because it was thrilling and strong communities were built. I don't remember anything from the hundreds of other MMO's I tried for a few days because they were built for consumers instead of gamers.