Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF long lasting and hardcore oriented MMORPG

Haseo666Haseo666 Member UncommonPosts: 3
Hello,

I'm looking for a game that has following features (doesn't have to have all of them but at least some of them). Doesn't have to be a new game but at least the game that has some decent player base and it's not a ghost town or even some game that is in development so I can at least have some games which I will keep my eye on.
- Game has to be a time consuming which means stuff has to take a lot of time to finish and no hand holding where you get all good stuff from quests.
- Leveling has to be a slow. For comparison something like Lineage 2 in terms of leveling speed would be perfect. It was my first MMO in 2005 and I still consider it the best game I have played.
- Strong emphasis on crafting, it has to be an important part of the game and crafting has to matter. The more complex crafting, the better. Once again, I loved crafting in L2.
- Open world without channels, instances and such. I don't mind instanced group dungeons, those I can tolerate.
- Quest free or at least the leveling shouldn't be done via quests only. Grinding should be viable way to level up or prefered way which would be the best. Definitely not quest hubs and linear progression (Tera, B&S, Aion)
- Visuals doesn't really matter, combat is not an issue too. I like action combat but I don't mind old tab target combat.
- Complex and rich itemization with tons of items to choose from. I hate when everyone has the same stuff and looks exactly same.
- Payment model doesn't matter to me. Preferable is buy to play.
- Has to be set in fantasy or medieval world (no sci-fi or real life)

That should be probably all. I know how difficult my request probably is and if there is a game that has at least some of those things I would like to know about the game.

The games I have played in the past so please don't recommend those: Lineage 2, Rohan, Perfect World, GW, GW2, Aion, Terra, WoW, ArcheAge, ESO, B&S, Neverwinter.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide. As I said, even games in development are fine to me. The only game I have on my radar now is Black Desert and to be honest, I'm not sure what to expect from it and if it even has some of those stuff I listed above.

Comments

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    edited January 2016
    Maybe Darkfall? It wasnt doing that great last I heard, but really thats the only thing I can think of or EQ1 maybe? it has zones, but not real instances.

The kind of game you are looking for really doesnt exist atm. You might need to wait for a kickstarter MMO to finish.

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    if you manage to wait a couple of weeks.. the original darkfall is gonna be relaunched soon

www.riseofagon.com

try to get an alpha key and see if if fits you.. but be aware.. once you played this game all other mmropg will become boring as fck

darkfall is unique in its combat sysem

giving players over 150 skills and abilities to try and master the game.
  • SoarlozerSoarlozer Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Def not darkfall. Crafting is simple, however last time i played only way to get gear is through players. Awesome fps combat even though it got dumbed down after a relaunch.

Its biggest problem is the devs clearly take A LOT of holidays. If you end up interested in DF after researching it, id just go to Mortal Online. At least their devs are actually working on the game and at least have a clear vision for what their playerbase is going to be.
    im not sure where the above 2 posters get their info from but they are both wrong..

darkfall 1.0 ran for 4 years ( and relaunching by 2 new companies)
    uw ran for 2 years and still is altho is empty

And like a said above the relaunch of darkfall will be hands of new company(people) 

every gear ingame is crafted.. how you even get that info from that gear is only obainable from players??

• DrisdaneDrisdane Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Wait a bit longer. There are several games that will hit testing later this year (expected) for a 2017 launch:

Chronicles of Elyria
    Revival
    Pantheon
    Saga of Lucimia
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    I just came to say hi to Drisdane :P

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

im not sure where the above 2 posters get their info from but they are both wrong..

I'm not too bad at maths because of my job. And 2009 to 2012 is still 3 years.
    might wanne change job then..

2012 november the servers were closed ( wait ill break it down for you)

2009 = 1 year
    2010 = 1 year
    2011 = 1 year
    2012 = 1 year

stop hunting forums so much its affects your brain
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Haseo666 said:
    Hello,

I'm looking for a game that has following features (doesn't have to have all of them but at least some of them). Doesn't have to be a new game but at least the game that has some decent player base and it's not a ghost town or even some game that is in development so I can at least have some games which I will keep my eye on.
    - Game has to be a time consuming which means stuff has to take a lot of time to finish and no hand holding where you get all good stuff from quests.
    - Leveling has to be a slow. For comparison something like Lineage 2 in terms of leveling speed would be perfect. It was my first MMO in 2005 and I still consider it the best game I have played.
    - Strong emphasis on crafting, it has to be an important part of the game and crafting has to matter. The more complex crafting, the better. Once again, I loved crafting in L2.
    - Open world without channels, instances and such. I don't mind instanced group dungeons, those I can tolerate.
    - Quest free or at least the leveling shouldn't be done via quests only. Grinding should be viable way to level up or prefered way which would be the best. Definitely not quest hubs and linear progression (Tera, B&S, Aion)
    - Visuals doesn't really matter, combat is not an issue too. I like action combat but I don't mind old tab target combat.
    - Complex and rich itemization with tons of items to choose from. I hate when everyone has the same stuff and looks exactly same.

That should be probably all. I know how difficult my request probably is and if there is a game that has at least some of those things I would like to know about the game.

The games I have played in the past so please don't recommend those: Lineage 2, Rohan, Perfect World, GW, GW2, Aion, Terra, WoW, ArcheAge, ESO, B&S, Neverwinter.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide. As I said, even games in development are fine to me. The only game I have on my radar now is Black Desert and to be honest, I'm not sure what to expect from it and if it even has some of those stuff I listed above.
    Uncharted Waters Online might not be what you're looking for, but it does fit your bullet points pretty well.

1)  Everything proceeds slowly.  There will be many times where you're in place A, and want to be in place B, and it will take you an hour to get there.  And that's assuming you have a fast ship; longer if you don't.  Trying to engage in or avoid naval combat can easily take minutes--just to start or avoid the battle, not fight the battle itself.

2)  There are lots of different things to level.  If you want to max the three main character levels, you're looking at years, not months.  You can max trade much faster than the others, but adventuring especially takes a long, long time.

3)  Ships and ship components come almost exclusively from crafting.  Crafting is also a major source of a lot of trade goods and personal gear.  And the system is incredibly complex.  Koei makes things complicated seemingly for the sake of making them complicated.

4)  There is zoning, but it's extremely fast, commonly under a second.  The only portions of the game with multiple instances are personal housing and dungeons that you may or may not ever bother with.

5)  The game has thousands of quests, but most people don't do very many of them.  Grinding is a much more common way to level most things.  The quest system is also very weird.  Among other things, you used to be only able to carry one active quest at a time; they eventually changed the cap to three, but the third can only be a certain, rare type of quest and the second is expensive to acquire if you already have a first quest.  Progression is certainly non-linear; by my early 30s (as compared to a then cap of 65), I had access to the entire world, but still had reasons to go just about everywhere long after that.

6)  The game originally launched in Japan in 2005, though there have been some graphical updates since then.  It looks decent to my eyes, though the graphics are hardly going to blow you away.  Don't be put off by bad translations on the web site or in the marketing for the game; the in-game translation is good.

The combat, on the other hand, might be a deal-breaker for you.  While the game has combat (and both sea and land combat, which are very different from each other), the game isn't primarily about combat.  You can spend most of your time running around killing things if you like, but you'll ignore the bulk of the game's content if that's your approach.

7)  The game has the most complex itemization that I've ever seen in an MMORPG.  It would be basically trivial to come up with 20 full sets of personal gear (meaning, excluding your ship; there are 6 slots for personal gear) that are each optimal for some purpose on your character, but have exactly no pieces of gear in common between any two of the sets.

8)  It's free to play with an item mall.  The item mall looks really pay to win, and the publisher even seems to be trying to make it pay to win.  But the nature of the game is actually quite resistant to pay to win.  Something that increased your damage by 50% would be massively unbalancing in most games, but in UWO, it will only infrequently matter at all.  Unless you're into piracy, in which case, it's very pay to win.  (Having more than a handful of active pirates would ruin things for everyone else.)

9)  It's based on Earth, and while not officially dated, the 1520s is a good approximation.  (The game is based on old console games that started in 1522.)  That would generally be considered Renaissance as opposed to Medieval, but it's pretty close.  It's certainly not modern or science fiction.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

2009 = 1 year
    2010 = 1 year
    2011 = 1 year
    2012 = 1 year

It depends.  January 2009 to December 2012 is just shy of four years.  December 2009 to January 2012 is barely over two.  Wikipedia says Darkfall was up in North America from July 13, 2009 through November 15, 2012, which I'd call about 3.34 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkfall
    Quizzical said:

2009 = 1 year
    2010 = 1 year
    2011 = 1 year
    2012 = 1 year

It depends.  January 2009 to December 2012 is just shy of four years.  December 2009 to January 2012 is barely over two.  Wikipedia says Darkfall was up in North America from July 13, 2009 through November 15, 2012, which I'd call about 3.34 years.

christ what is wrong with people on these forums here..

READ AND THINK BEFORE YOU POST!?

the NA server was launched in july YES the EU SERVER  on the other was already up

p.s final reply

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    EQ2 TLE server
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Black Desert online,  it will launch in march (na/eu) or you can play on Kr for about $7.  There are a few English speaking twitch streamers playing the game,  you might want to check them out and ask a few questions about the game.

Cheers

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Ryzom maybe.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • Haseo666Haseo666 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Thanks everyone for your recommendations. From the existing game I'm gonna check UWO. It looks really good and there are a lot of features that I will enjoy for sure.
    I will also check Darkfall. If there is relaunch soon it might be worth a shot.

Chronicles of Elyria looks too good to be true. I will follow this game's development to see how it goes. If the game will ever be released with all those promised features, it will be awesome.
    About Black Desert... I have to gather more information. There are some interesting concepts but I feel it might be too fast paced in terms of leveling and I fear there won't be much to do after few weeks.

• KeenoKeeno Member UncommonPosts: 56

Check, Brutally Hard to start, easyer as you go. Many many hours shall be spent.

Check, this game is a grinder.

Check, Everything in this game is crafted full player run economy.

Check, No zones other then sailing your boat to another server "each server is its own world/island"! Massive open world.

Check, Only Grinding you can do quest for god but that only give karma to be spent on spells.

Its a dated game and the combat is....... slow and lack luster but running through a forest at night and getting murdered by a pack of giantspiders will make you shit pants.

Check, the game is pure items and has priests that enchant them with different spells to make them better in ways.

Limited free trial, sub based.

Check, fantasy/medieval.

Now go play your game!

http://www.wurmonline.com/

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited January 2016

2009 = 1 year
    2010 = 1 year
    2011 = 1 year
    2012 = 1 year

2009 to 2010 = 1 year.
    2010 to 2011 = 1 year.
    2011 to 2012 = 1 year.

1+1+1 = 3

Now you can add some months if you count beyond just the year numbers, but let's be honest... whether the game closed down after 3 or 3.5 or 4 years, it's still a big failure that never had more than a ghost playerbase. The game barely survived on life support before it finally died. And its sequel does even worse. Too bad, because the first one could have been a decent UO successor if the developers weren't so arrogant and stupid.
    OT:

I just realized that depending on whether Jean-Luc_Picard's or Copperfield's method of counting years is correct, one of my firework fountains ran either 1 year of 2 years.

/OT

• SoarlozerSoarlozer Member UncommonPosts: 61

every gear ingame is crafted.. how you even get that info from that gear is only obainable from players??

You do realize players craft right? And every player is still a player including one's self?
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Haseo666 said:
    Thanks everyone for your recommendations. From the existing game I'm gonna check UWO. It looks really good and there are a lot of features that I will enjoy for sure.

Chronicles of Elyria looks too good to be true. I will follow this game's development to see how it goes. If the game will ever be released with all those promised features, it will be awesome.
    About Black Desert... I have to gather more information. There are some interesting concepts but I feel it might be too fast paced in terms of leveling and I fear there won't be much to do after few weeks.

If you can make it through the tutorial then you're probably set....Worst tutorial ever unless they have dramatically improved it.
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Haseo666 said:

I could go into a long, hard rant about UWO, having been an avid fan and long time player of it. You'd be better looking up the Steam reviews. Look for the reallllly long, in depth negative review with over 1,000 views for that game and you'll find mine.

tl;dr A great game that was fucked six days till Sundayby some really, really, really piss-poor publishers.
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Drisdane said:
    Wait a bit longer. There are several games that will hit testing later this year (expected) for a 2017 launch:

Chronicles of Elyria
    Revival
    Pantheon
    Saga of Lucimia

The gods of gaming are :pleased: with that list, at least the first two entries.  :awesome: 
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Quizzical said:

christ what is wrong with people on these forums here..

READ AND THINK BEFORE YOU POST!?

the NA server was launched in july YES the EU SERVER  on the other was already up

p.s final reply
    Quizzical does not read things, he makes them true :)
  • Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    edited February 2016
    I would say Darkfall Unholy Wars or wait for Darkfall Rise of Agon, or perhaps wait for Darkfall New Dawn to come out.

Here is the links: http://www.darkfallonline.com/

Register for Rise of Agon alpha beta: https://darkfallriseofagon.com/#alpha

Darkfall New Dawn (Still in development) : http://darkfallnewdawn.com/