Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it dead yet?

zononzonon Member UncommonPosts: 28
Is it?

/Z

Comments

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    I dunno... let me ask...

(( pokes it with a stick ))

Эй! Вы живы?

It's very quiet there...

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Unknown.  There's been no news in quite a while from Daybreak.  But since they recently (and unexpectedly) split H1Z1 into two games, who really knows what is going on underneath all that silence?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Lots of news about SWG's spiritual successor, but, it's pretty quiet in the EQN corner.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Lots of news about SWG's spiritual successor, but, it's pretty quiet in the EQN corner.

That was H1Z1.  All the SWG fans came home already and are still clearing the zombies out of their living room.
  • Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524
    **Crickets** i've been checking on anything new wise every few weeks. I've started looking for something else sadly.

• OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105

Regarding research and development, reality is sinking in. Things are getting expensive and the technology isn't matured yet. Its was just a dumb idea to include thousand of interested carebear players to give their advice for what they want in a game. Going forward, yall need to recognize you are all spoiled. So get used to not knowing what stage EQN currently is in. Get used to the game not being what yall wanted. Actually, I think we are all used to that.

If EQN doesn't come out, it isn't the end of the world and you are never happy anyway.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Regarding research and development, reality is sinking in. Things are getting expensive and the technology isn't matured yet. Its was just a dumb idea to include thousand of interested carebear players to give their advice for what they want in a game. Going forward, yall need to recognize you are all spoiled. So get used to not knowing what stage EQN currently is in. Get used to the game not being what yall wanted. Actually, I think we are all used to that.

If EQN doesn't come out, it isn't the end of the world and you are never happy anyway.

You heard it here first, if EQN doesn't happen its everyone elses fault except for DBG, after all they were just trying to create a game that everyone wanted.....
    in other news, farmer finds cow upside down in field, suspects aliens were upset because he didn't grow crops that they could make a circle in.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Clap.jpg 156.7K

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

...carebear players ..

So tired of this term being used incorrectly, by a person with "EQ" in his name, no less. Sigh.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2016
    I am disappointed my fellow gamer's have not seen through the cloak and dagger routine of SOE now DB.
    I am not about to spend pages explaining it either,you learn with experience dealing with developers for many years.
    I am sure the Landmark and PS2 players are asking what is going on as well.

Ask yourself does that early development "Landmark" look like some team has been actively working on it?Does it look like a team is working on Planetside 2?

Why do you think they shut down VG and heir TCG game and the kids game Freerealms or whatever it was called?without all the rhetoric..simple answer,no employees,no resources.
    When you hear them make claims of hiring,don't take that as a concrete statement,there is more to it than simple minded thinking "oh they just hied maybe 15 people at 100k salary a year".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    The EQN SOE wanted to make is dead, the EQN I would have liked was never in development and whether DGC will ever release an EQN is unknown. Best way to handle this: Assume it's dead till proved otherwise.
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    It's been dead since the day it was announced.
  • OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105

EQ2 gave me the best darn PvP fun I had while it was around. Its a shame of what it is today.

@Adjuvant1...carebear carebear carebear carebear

@phry ...please good sir. I know you were trying to be funny and on point but I missed it. Can you repost?

edited February 2016
    https://www.google.com/search?q=carebear+gamer+definition&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

edit: It is a person who plays a pvp game or on a game's pvp server who feels he should be exempt from pvp. It lends to the current "non-consensual pvp" nonsense. While these people could easily play "strictly pve games" or pve servers, they feel they should have a voice in the direction of pvp play.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    edited February 2016
    Landmark's youtube channel posted 2 videos in the past 2 days that showed some camers options and controls for day night cycles. So they are still working on things. At this point time will tell. 

HERE
  • TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    It was a ways out before the Daybreak purchase, I am sure this delayed things a bit more as well.  Luckily there has been plenty to occupy one's self with... Fallout 4, Witcher 3, etc.. and if you need some nostalgia just hop on P99 for some! 

• iatesandiatesand Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Just think of it this way. Nothing that is posted on this thread (or any other thread for that matter) will have any effect on the state of development.

The game will be finished or canceled at some point, and I am willing to bet they will not ask our opinion of what they should do. Some people believe the game is still in development , some people think its vaperware.

The simple truth is:
    Nobody knows anything. Everything you read here is pure speculation from people who do not have the slightest clue as to what is going on inside DBG

Personally I would like to see the game finished and released in what ever form they decide on, and I think that unless DBG officially cancels the game, then that will occur at some point. 

If and when it comes out I will be happy to play it, But I find there are plenty of other games to play if it doesn't make the cut. Bur asking the opinion of the state of the game here is a great example of the blind leading the stupid.

• objeffobjeff Member UncommonPosts: 97
    I'm happy they stopped the dog and pony show and started working on the game. I would rather them put their efforts into developing vs talking about the game.
  • Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173

I don't think its dead yet, I just think they know the type of game EQN is, isn't what the current, comparatively small, traditional mmorpg crowd wants...which is probably why SOE tossed the entire, famous IP, out the window when trying to shed their online game making division.

I honestly think that with DayZ's fad dwindling and both h1z1 and EQN requiring a boatload of development/overhead to get to a "professional and complete" state was far too much for what their bean counters accurately (probably) estimated the returns would be, and just shed the entire division.

In all honesty if they could get a solid progression/character building system and put it in what Landmark was, and somehow have the ability to prevent the world being cluttered with a sea of half built garbage (like in landmark) and provide guild based build and defend survival like 7 days to die they might have something worth making on their hands.

If its just your standard issue quest n level with raids/dungeons + pvp instance/open world event pvp its going to fail very hard.  Few stick around long term for games like that anymore, and those who love it are most likely not going to leave their long term game very long.

Really I think daybreak or whatever they are called now has their hands full with H1Z1 which is currently, if I'm not mistaken, making decent money but still needs tons of work.  I really don't think the investors running the devs want to drop an extremely risky major mmorpg on the market until H1Z1 is polished, stable, and raking in good money.  I'm not keen to h1z1's finances or current state, last I heard it had a pretty good steam following and playerbase, but I have no idea how expensive it is for them to develop, and how expensive the work that I hear desperately needs to be done (on top of content that's needed to keep their early access base around and paying).

I would be extremely worried about EQN if you are a die hard though.  Simply the fact that Sony let it go is a super big giant red flag with flashing lights and sirens.  Those bean counters at sony know a massive loss when they see one (they've seen plenty over the years) and know when to get rid of a bad deal (they've gotten rid of possibly more mmo games than anyone else if I'm not mistaken, maybe tied with webzen or similar f2p middle man company)

Oh and the talent behind EQN already bounced if I'm not mistaken.  So whatever state it was left in, they now have to train and bring a whole new group of people up to speed on it, and then have those people bring it to market.  I would be very worried indeed.

Sadly this game is my last hope for mmorpgs coming out of the western markets.

• HowzrHowzr Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Yeah, H1Z1 really brought me back LOL! Fucking Smedley. Of course his new game is a pixel art, theme park MMO and will be out in early access. It's the trifecta of modern gaming industry bullshit!
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Dead? Unlikely, all investment status' show as "completed." So it's been funded. Landmark getting some updates soon, maybe some more info to follow that. No news is good news?

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Dead? Unlikely, all investment status' show as "completed." So it's been funded. Landmark getting some updates soon, maybe some more info to follow that. No news is good news?

what talking about?  this isn't a Kickstarter looking for funding.  Landmark is dead and very good indicator of the teams ability to develop, or not as is the case.

No news isn't good news either.  I cant think of any example where a game in development (8 years) and the developer stopped talking about it, has ever ended in "good news".
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Vaporware!

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Good ideas...

They never got the chance to finish them..

To bad, because only a playercreated world with playercreated content and stories can give MMo players a game with a neverending flood of content..

Why not finish this engine, combine it with neverwinters Foundry and add to that..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Daffid011 said:

what talking about?  this isn't a Kickstarter looking for funding.  Landmark is dead and very good indicator of the teams ability to develop, or not as is the case.

No news isn't good news either.  I cant think of any example where a game in development (8 years) and the developer stopped talking about it, has ever ended in "good news".
    No, it's certainly not a kickstarter of course... But you do know that investors post status' for what they put their money into yeah? Sift through the columbus nova investment listings... Can't get a direct link right now, on tablet.