Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for answers

Blue3000Blue3000 Member Posts: 238

I just downloaded this game.  I want to check it out to see if I'll like it.  I've already played WoW, GW and a few others but didn't like them.  GW is ok but all that instancing I don't like too much.

I downloaded the free year version and if I like it will then buy all the expansions associated with it.

I downloaded this game even though I don't know the first thing about it.  I would like to ask a few questions to help me getting going a bit.

1.  Is this a pvp only game or a game where you decide if you want to pvp or not.  Or this there no pvp, period?

2.  How many characters can you have per game?  I'm not sure because with the version I now have it didn't offer more then one slot for picking a character.

3. Most important question is, is there a website for the game where you can find much info on all the aspects of the game?  Something like the website for Guild Wars at the Wiki place.  Can't remember the exact name though.  This website for GW is fantastic as it has info on every single thing on game.

I know its offical website but I'm thinking maybe there's another place with better and more info.

I thought I was writting this down on the new player site but now realize I wasn't.  I don't feel like rewriting the whole thing again.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Comments

• azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817
    Blue, I'll pass you some answers when I get up tomorrow.  Hang in there.  It's not pre-CU SWG, but it's a place to go for refugees like us.

Ok, here we go...

Originally posted by Blue3000

1.  Is this a pvp only game or a game where you decide if you want to pvp or not.  Or this there no pvp, period?
    PvP happens, but you have to know how to get flagged for it.  Here are the ways:
    A) Go to a PvP enabled area (called political zones)
    B) Kill a gaurd of the opposite faction.
    C) Attack a notum mining facility tower.
    D) Enter an arena.
    2.  How many characters can you have per game?  I'm not sure because with the version I now have it didn't offer more then one slot for picking a character.
    Even froob (free noobie) accounts offer 7 character slots per server (there are 3 servers plus test).  This isn't immediately evident, as until you make your first character, log out, then go to log back in, you don't see the "create new character" option.
    3. Most important question is, is there a website for the game where you can find much info on all the aspects of the game?  Something like the website for Guild Wars at the Wiki place.  Can't remember the exact name though.  This website for GW is fantastic as it has info on every single thing on game.
    I know its offical website but I'm thinking maybe there's another place with better and more info.
    There are better info sites than the official.  Allakhazam comes to mind right off.  Anarchy Online Universe seems to be at this time the best of the RP related sites.  Anarchy Mainframe is, has and ever will be the best of the item databases, including detailed lists of the nanos (spells), armors, implants, weapons and other items you use.If you google Anarchy Online, you'll come up with a plethora of useful places.
    I thought I was writting this down on the new player site but now realize I wasn't.  I don't feel like rewriting the whole thing again.
    Thanks for any information you can provide.

• Blue3000Blue3000 Member Posts: 238

Thank you pretty lady. 

I want to get to know the game a bit better before deciding if I want to stay.  Then I'll get the complete version with all the expansions.

This is but one of the many games I've played hoping to find a replacement for SWG.

If you have time, can you explain how you use the waypoints.  I hit level 5 and was asked to go to Borealis and was given a waypoint. 

Thanks again!

open your mission window, highlight the mission and use the "upload to map" option.  This will put the WP onto your map and cause a marker to appear on your compass to help guide you in the right direction.  It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is.

If the location isn't in the same playfield as you, you can locate it on your player worldmap (toggle P key) to figure out which playfield you need to go to.

And oh yeah, the whompas and the grid are your friends.  Raise that comp lit skill because it effects which grid exits you can use -- and trust me, you want to use them all eventually.

Every time I open a inventory screen from an npc it was halfway up my screen and no matter how much I tried I couldn't drag it down.  I couldn't buy anything from the Tek salesman once I joined up.

I sent in a petition and it said it had gone through but I didn't get a response so after waiting a bit I logged out in frustration.

The mission I was given yesterday as soon as I hit level 5 wasn't in my mission pad when I came in today.  It had said to go to Borealis and gave me a waypoint.  Therefore, I couldn't do it. 

It said same thing you said here, to load the mission so it would give you a wp to its destination.  But every time I tried it, no matter the mission it said there wasn't a wp in the area.

I figured maybe since its in the newbie zone its the reason it wasn't working.  Pulling out the map once I hit P didn't show it either.

I don't know if those missions are repeatable because the same npc kept giving me the same mission over and over.  To bring him a report from the nurse and the other npc near her.  It said he would give you some type of armor if you helped him.  I ran botth missions twice and again he was giving me the same mission, a third time so I deleted them.

It's hard when you're new and you don't know too much at the start.  I tried asking around in vicinity chat but got no help from any of the players near me at any time.  It felt as if the game is bugged.

I have very little patience so after trying a while I just left.  Right now I don't think I'll be back.

Thanks for your help Azhrarn.

• Phoenix_HawkPhoenix_Hawk Member UncommonPosts: 290

If you have time, can you explain how you use the waypoints. I hit level 5 and was asked to go to Borealis and was given a waypoint.

The go to the abandoned subway "quest" you are told of when you hit level five is not a quest, just like Temple of Three Winds, Biomare and other such places are not quests. They are just dungeons you can go to if you want, there is no way point and no mission/quest in the missions window for any of them. Think the subway entrance in Borealis is in the south end of the city, there are also subway entrances in West Athens (Clan) and outside of Rome (Omni). You are given a co-ordinate (press F9 to see your current location info), but no WP when you're told of the subway at level five but in all cases the subway entrance is not far from where you pop up when you leave newbie island, there's a big "subway" sign over the entrance and it usually has a bunch of people milling about in front of it so it's not hard to find. You will be blocked from entering again once you hit level 25 or so, there are some decent newbie fr00b items in there to get and it's an easy place to get the parts for this one SL ring.

(Talk of UI problems and chat issues.)

As for the UI, the default settings and locations of the windows aren't anything special but you can manipulate them in many ways. The shop one and others that start off in the right hand area can be scrolled through with a scroll wheel and you can click and drag the list up and down too. To alter them you'll need to pull them out of the right column first. The shop window is just too small when left in the right column, I pull it out, expand it almost all the way and usually have it set to list view mode. To pull a window out of the right column right click on the name of the window which will put the name on your pointer. Move the pointer to the middle of the screen the left click and now you can stretch the edges of the window however you like. In the top left there is a little "i" symbol, left click on that to get a menu of different settings options you can select for that window. If you wanted to move a window back into the right hand column right click the name of the window again then move the pointer to the right edge and left click. When you move a window back in the vertical resizing will be kept but the horizontal resizing of all windows in the column are fixed.

You can find more info on UI adjusting in the new version of the manual they put out in PDF format and web format a while back. Those can be found on the AO site and links are also in the web page like area of the log-in window when you start the game. You can do a lot of adjusting to the UI windows in this game so you can get the UI set up and working how you want. Your total number of credits on hand are shown in the lower left UI wing bar.

Vicinity chat is just that, chat in the local area. If no one is nearby or those that are don't feel like talking you're stuck. But the newbie neutral/clan/omni chat chans are always busy and easy to get into. If you're still neutral you're sure to have seen many lines of text in your chat window that start something like "newbie neutral chan" or something like that, just click on that name and your talk to chan will change to that channel (if you click on a player name you will open up a tell window to that player so you can talk to him/her directly). You can also change channels by hitting enter or clicking in the chat edit area then hit tab which brings up a list of available chat channels, click on one of those. Then you can also change it by right clicking in the chat window, select from that the talk to channel option then select the one you want to talk in.

Every time I open a inventory screen from an npc it was halfway up my screen and no matter how much I tried I couldn't drag it down. I couldn't buy anything from the Tek salesman once I joined up.

Like with OS windows click and drag the top bar of the window to move movable windows around. To open the shop option with an NPC that allows it right click on them to get their chat window then click on the shopping cart icon at the bottom. For clan and omni there are two people for each side on the isl, one is a rep so you can sign up, the other is the merchant. Neutral has a rep and then everyone can use the neutral merchant. All of them are grouped near each other now so there's less running around and with more higher level mobs it's easier to get higher levels if you want that third AI level on the island.

I sent in a petition and it said it had gone through but I didn't get a response so after waiting a bit I logged out in frustration.

There are lots of people sending in petitions so it can take an hour or more to get to them in most cases. Newbies will also generally get a visit from a greeter at some point to help them out.

I don't know if those missions are repeatable because the same npc kept giving me the same mission over and over. To bring him a report from the nurse and the other npc near her. It said he would give you some type of armor if you helped him. I ran botth missions twice and again he was giving me the same mission, a third time so I deleted them.

Some are, some aren't. The newbie island missions generally don't give WPs from what I remember, the place is real small anyhow. The guy you're talking about gives you missions to help the clan medic, omni commander or to get different newcomer armour pieces. You need to ask different things to get each. The help the clan medic and omni commander ones are repeatable, don't think the newcomer armour parts ones are though. What you get from helping the clan medic and omni commander are sided shoulder pads (you can wear two shoulder pads), clan ones from the clan medic, omni ones from the omni commander then you get something to bring back to the guy you started with to get an XP and cash reward. It's best to pick a side if you're new and a fr00b as you can get sided newcomer armour plus wear the shoulder pads for your side. That will give you quite a bit of AC for a fr00b newbie which is mostly even across all types and the sided newcomer armour is upgradeable as your char levels too (just right click on it, goes to quality level 15 I think).

It's hard when you're new and you don't know too much at the start.......
    I have very little patience so after trying a while I just left. Right now I don't think I'll be back.

That's what the manuals, those help NPCs in the start area you go to after character creation and /help is for. AO really isn't a hard game to get used to, just use the help features in game, read what the NPCs tell you and read the manual over or at least the parts of interest. There are also helpful bots like recipebot, itemsnet and helpbot you can send tells to. Although if you're already ready to quit it may be best to stick to single player games, games like Diablo II or GW that have on-line play or the overly simplified MMORPG WoW.

I couldn't drag the top bar of the inventory window that showed what the npc was selling because it was halfway up my screen.  Not only this window but every window that had stuff for sell.  I tried dragging it in just about every corner and angle but it wouldn't budge.   I couldn't scroll it down or up either.

I've played many of these type games such as WoW, GW, CoH, CoV, SWG, DAoC and many more so I tend to know my way around them.

I do read the manuals amd guides to get to know the game better.  But not everything is in these places.

It would be nice if this game had a forum like the one GW has.  The website Wiki is the best place I've seen for info on a game.  It has everything about that game.

At this time I'm not sure if I'll stay with this game.  Next month a few new games and new expansions will commence and thats something I'm looking forward to.  Auto Assault, Issue 7 on CoV and a few others.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Hey, Blue, sorry AO didn't work out for you.  As a transition from the old SWG, the ui can be kinda bewildering and extra-awkward.  I went from AO to SWG and about lost my mind trying to get used to the UI differences.

I'd probably be able to help you get accustomed to AO's interface in seconds if we were gaming next to each other in the real, but trying to explain it via text, not being able to see or show visually is kinda hard for me.

If you ever decide to give AO another go, let me know.  If I'm still in it, I can give you a little something to make your newness more fun.  Being the former Dancing Queen of Atlantean made me a wealthy little minx.

• Phoenix_HawkPhoenix_Hawk Member UncommonPosts: 290

You could change the game screen resolution to a larger one in the log-in window, that would give you more space and you should be able to move it down then. For that to happen in the first place likely means you had the window there in a larger resolution then changed to a lower one. Another thing is that in the "Prefs" folders off the AO main folder there are settings files that record things like your UI settings for your account, move/delete those and it goes back to the default settings the next time you start with that char. If you still had the shop window in the right column you can use the scroll wheel to move them up and down and if you click on and drag on an empty part of a window in that column you can move it up and down.

There is an official AO forum ( http://forums.anarchy-online.com/ ) just select the "Forums & Chat" link in the left column of the AO site then click on the "Anarchy Online bulletin board" link on the next page. You just need to be a paying player to use it though. For non-paying players there is also the forums at http://www.aofroobs.com/ which doesn't look half bad.