Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We really need a AAA Cyberpunk MMORPG

13»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Robokapp said:
    Who are "we"?

I would much rather to have a single player cyberpunk RPG, than a MMO. (Well, a single player cyberpunk RPG, which is called a MMO will work for me too, i guess).
    If you twist the meaning of "cyberpunk" enough, there's plenty to choose from.

Chess has those mobile towers so  it's kinda cyberpunk and you can RP in it, it's a game, and massively multiplayer by this site's deffinition. What more do you need?
    Me? 

If this site classify chess as such, I will certainly point it out. When did i ever twist anything? Don't tell me that you think pointing out a fact that someone else is "twisting" a meaning is the same as doing it myself!
  • DrakolusDrakolus Member UncommonPosts: 134
    I think Neocron is still kicking around somewhere.  And they're working on Cyberpunk 2077 in some aspect.  I'd LOVE a Shadowrun game with gameplay elements of the Grand Theft Auto but set in the Shadowrun world and with all of the various mechanics from that setting :)
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Requesting a AAA budget for a niche audience.

Read through that again.
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    A new modern remake of System Shock will be released this year. If it's decent enough, it will be more interesting than any cyberpunk MMO for me. :)
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• GramleyGramley Member UncommonPosts: 9
    No new MMO will succeed all the time each game developer is just trying to create another copy/paste WoW clone. Bring innovation to the table and publishers will take a risk...maybe
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    danwest58 said:
    danwest58 said:
    scorpex-x said:
     The MMORPG market is more or less done for the forseeable future, there are no new titles in production. The mmorpg bubble has burst.

"We" arent getting any, let alone cyberpunk.  The market is flooded, go play what is there and stop looking for another new title that isnt coming.
    I dont agree with Scorpex-x ever really, him and I have fought on many many occasions.  With that said he is 100% current here.  The MMO Market is flooded with MMOs and the bubble has burst because everyone is trying to be the next WOW which is a pipe dream.  (It can happen however you cannot spend money and expect that you will strike gold.  You have to make a game for a set of gamers and let them bring people into your game)  It's time for MMO Gamers to stop looking for new games OP.  And Cyberpunk yea sorry thats going to be too small of a market for any publisher to make money.  

Scorpex-x  BTW.  On FFXIV I still like the game, its one of the best MMOs out since WOW.  However I can see where you are coming from, its too much WOW and too much Treadmill and I am not playing much anymore.  Mainly because its do X until you get enough gear to do Y.  But the Overall Quality of the game is the best in years, SWTOR, RIFT, LOTRO all well in my book buggy and lacking.  FFXIV 2.0 At least was a good quality build.  Yea it had its bugs the first few weeks after that I didnt deal with any.  

Anyways Glad to see someone else agrees with me on what the MMO Market is right now.  Hell I am playing Minecraft more than MMOs and I been in MMOs since 1998 with UO.   

I don't agree.  This genre was founded on niche markets.  It can and would very easily survive on them again, if the companies were willing to base income on a portfolio of games instead of one blockbuster.  SOE was going in the right direction with their all access pass and bevy of games, they mismanaged for the most part and didn't reinvest enough into all of their games.
    Yea it was FOUNDED on a niche market when Top End Developers made around 50K on the top end.  How do I know, I had friends that were developers at the time on UO.  If you want a Top end Developer today you need to pay around 100K, and you will need around 50 or so developers to make an MMO.  Thats Artist, Programmers, Voice\Music\Sound people, and the list goes on.  You CAN NOT make a game today on a Majorly NICHE MARKET.  While YES you can do Niche (Lets Define Niche as around 500K you cannot go too much lower if you are a sub only MMO) NON WOW like Numbers but you cannot do what most people call NICHE today as in ArcheAge, or Black Desert, or Chronicles of Elyria.  These games are way too Niche and will not be anything more than a P2W game if you have less than 500K.

The reason being is you have People to pay and even if you use the Amazon cloud for you game, you will pay out the ass the large you get.  Low End Systems in AWS is very cheap and worth it to start ups.  It is not worth it for high end systems that have massive transactions like a MMO does.  Just an Example a system I manage for Royalty payments for 1 week a month when we slam the system with millions of transactions per second for 5 days straight would cost us 10K a week JUST for the Database server, thats not including all the process servers OR USAGE which you do get charged for.  It turns out in 2 years of AWS usage for 1 Week a month transactions we end up breaking even for hardware in our data center for 5 years.  So sorry the Cloud like many of these dumb indy MMO developers are using just dont have a clue because they dont work on systems like this.

So no you cannot be a Niche sub game that maybe 100K to 250K players.  Sorry The Operation Cost is just too dam high.  Thats exactly when they use Indy developers because publishers can pay them 10K, but guess what you send money to them it does not say here in the States like it should.  The ONLY way a niche game with 100K to 250K players make enough money to keep the lights on is P2W.  Meaning that guy that has 10K to spend wants a sword that one shots everyone no matter what, you sell it to him because he is giving you money you need to operate.  

You need a game that has 500K to 1 Million subs period, and you CANNOT spend more than 50 Million to 75 Million on Development.  YOU CANNOT spend more unless you are going into a cash shop setup if you dont have 500K people.  You need money to Operate plus Publishers today want to make at least a 40% margin.  So here come the cash shop again.  

So no Niche is not going to work.  Nor is a game for EVERYONE going to work.  You need to make an MMO for a Section of the Market.  For example a game that focuses just on PVP and nothing else.  That is a Selection but not NICHE because your not going to the point of Permadeath with full PVP looting.  That will be a Niche Market that is unsustainable.  For example other MMOs with Permadeath have what 10K players, that is niche and becomes a game that is a wallet war game.  

A portfolio of games can and is more likely to provide greater profit than a blockbuster, especially in light of even being able to produce it in the first place.  Niche games require less capital by their very narrowed scope.  As far as employee overhead, that's up to the industry to control.  Whether they continue down the current path or try the path SOE was going, the industry could very well collapse on itself if they don't get costs under control.  This isn't a limitless market like regular entertainment.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I think the chances of seeing a AAA-anything in MMORPG terms is fairly remote for the next few years.

The industry seems to be experimenting with the "MMO-Lite" format, where content is delivered in bite-sized chunks and extensively monetized in all sorts of clever ways.

The $100M+ AAA behemoths are extinct. Perhaps they will return in a different form in a few years' time when VR has matured and become an affordable mass market gadget.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I'm a big fan of cyberpunk; Neuromancer and Count Zero changed my life.  Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon were also great.  The more recent works by both authors of the aforementioned novels are also very good.

That said, I'm not sure I would want to play a MMORPG based around the genre (although I am looking forward to seeing what @khanstruct is working on).

Further, any game which references the word "cyberpunk" in its title I am also somewhat leery of.

Let me explain: William Gibson didn't set out to define a genre in his novel Neuromancer, or any of the follow-ups, although later these came to be known as the seminal cyberpunk trilogy; he just wanted to write a good sci fi novel in a gritty, not-too-distant future.  I'm not entirely sure about the history of how the term "cyberpunk" came into the vernacular, but it certainly has a set of tropes and ideals associated with it.  This isn't a bad thing; it's helpful to be able to reference a certain type of art form simply in this manner.

However, it's an entirely different thing to set out to create a work of art that is archetypal of a particular genre.  I'm not saying that this can't be done artfully or tastefully, but to me this is a very different approach than the authors and/or artists responsible for the genre's emergence took in the first place.

Let me give you a humorous analogy; say you were a fan of grunge music.  Would you listen to a band calling themselves "Project Grunge, 1994"? No... why?  Because they'd be posers, of course!

Obviously, this is an imperfect analogy, and I don't think this is exactly what's going on with games that are trying to recapture that cyberpunk feel, but I don't really have a better way to describe it right now.  I just tend to wince a little whenever I see a project with a tagline to the effect of 'let us now create... cyberpunk'.  I suppose any artistic endeavor overtly aimed toward a genre will have to struggle to overcome becoming satire.

After all... isn't the very act of playing a MMORPG cyberpunk enough?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Blade Runner Online has a lot of potential.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Sanisar said:
    Ever since MMOs were invented I've been waiting for a Shadowrun MMO; the world is perfect for it.  I'm starting to lose hope.
    I am in the same boat, and I've seen Shadowrun mentioned numerous times over there years. Shadowrun really lends itself well to MMOs since there is a multitude of ways to play, plus the natural blend of sci-fi and fantasy elements could give the game a broad appeal as well.
  • khanstructkhanstruct Member UncommonPosts: 756
    I'm a big fan of cyberpunk; Neuromancer and Count Zero changed my life.  Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon were also great.  The more recent works by both authors of the aforementioned novels are also very good.

That said, I'm not sure I would want to play a MMORPG based around the genre (although I am looking forward to seeing what @khanstruct is working on).

Further, any game which references the word "cyberpunk" in its title I am also somewhat leery of.

Let me explain: William Gibson didn't set out to define a genre in his novel Neuromancer, or any of the follow-ups, although later these came to be known as the seminal cyberpunk trilogy; he just wanted to write a good sci fi novel in a gritty, not-too-distant future.  I'm not entirely sure about the history of how the term "cyberpunk" came into the vernacular, but it certainly has a set of tropes and ideals associated with it.  This isn't a bad thing; it's helpful to be able to reference a certain type of art form simply in this manner.

However, it's an entirely different thing to set out to create a work of art that is archetypal of a particular genre.  I'm not saying that this can't be done artfully or tastefully, but to me this is a very different approach than the authors and/or artists responsible for the genre's emergence took in the first place.

Let me give you a humorous analogy; say you were a fan of grunge music.  Would you listen to a band calling themselves "Project Grunge, 1994"? No... why?  Because they'd be posers, of course!

Obviously, this is an imperfect analogy, and I don't think this is exactly what's going on with games that are trying to recapture that cyberpunk feel, but I don't really have a better way to describe it right now.  I just tend to wince a little whenever I see a project with a tagline to the effect of 'let us now create... cyberpunk'.  I suppose any artistic endeavor overtly aimed toward a genre will have to struggle to overcome becoming satire.

Making a true cyberpunk MMO is tricky because the essence of cyberpunk is really in the attitude and the story. That's really something the player brings. It's difficult to create the pondering of humanity, or stir up questions about the origin of the soul.

The best we can do is make sure all the pieces are there and work to facilitate it. Give them a dark world. Oppress them or allow them to oppress others. Offer temporary releases from difficulty for a cost, etc.

I think the chances of seeing a AAA-anything in MMORPG terms is fairly remote for the next few years.

The industry seems to be experimenting with the "MMO-Lite" format, where content is delivered in bite-sized chunks and extensively monetized in all sorts of clever ways.

The $100M+ AAA behemoths are extinct. Perhaps they will return in a different form in a few years' time when VR has matured and become an affordable mass market gadget.
    I doubt AAA MMORPGs will ever return. Just go to the other thread about what people play. Even on this site, people are playing MANY, mmo and non-mmo games.

Few players will play nothing but a single big mmorpgs anymore. So it makes sense to have smaller experiences, and given there is so many ways to do online MP, the MMO format is no longer dominant.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Never understood why the genre did not get much traction. Seems to be enough of a fan base around.
    This goes out to everyone.  What do you expect out of a such a  game?  What about Fallen Earth, TOR, or The Secret World?  Those didn't seem to meet the need.

Here are the problems as I see it.  Who owns the IP.  Notice how I'm not using the word.  DC and Marvel both own the rights to costumed Heroes.  They believe they own the rights to all such works.  Again not going to name names, but I know two parties that may feel they own the genre and will come down on any attempt to infringe upon that right without a hefty IP fee. 

Does the game require Two Worlds?  A real and an online?  Both requiring different art styles and models, plus second PvE and PvP stats?  Does a Rogue class just sit down at a terminal press a single skill key then stands up.  The online experience completed by a single keystroke and no transition to a second online reality?  I have always described the genre as  having a Here and There phase.  

For example a three person team made of a Warrior, Rogue, and Healer do a mission.  There is a Here phase where they break into a building in the real world.  By combat, lock picking, and wound treatment they make their way to the 43 floor and an office with a secure terminal.  At this location they transition to a There phase.  I have always described There as being an alternative to Here requiring secondary data.  

But recently I have begun to think of it as opening a hidden door from Here that our heroes walk through to There and experience no change whatsoever.  Instead of needing to load new level maps, textures, models, skills and stats.  The team walks in with all their Here data intact and applicable to There.  Your Here Armour rating is now your There Armour rating.  Same with combat skills, lock picking skills, and wound treatment skills no change.  No need to keep track of data for Here vs There.  Or to level and train separate version of skills.

The only problem is that Here vs There still implies that real bodies are left behind.  That must be guarded and defended until they come back Here.  I suppose there could be life support activities, combat defense, Here Rogue support activities, and Here body evacuation activities.  The only difference would be that Here and There would be different instances of Here.  Would one 40 person stand around Here and support another 40 person raid in There?

But would this satisfy the needs and wants of the community?  Only some missions would require Here support.  Some missions could be performed from safety, requiring travel only once There.  What exactly does the community want or need to see and be able to do?  I recommend speaking in general terms, because use of terms specific to an IP may be used against us at a later time

Another point, this genre has in the past drawn the attention of federal law enforcement.  For its potential to encourage or support real world crime. 

I got rebuked on this once before, but I'm going to say it again.  A western MMO runs the risk of being very offensive.  More so than a single player experience.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

I’ve been reading Sci-Fi for a long time.  My Sci-Fi collection alone has 50k+ paperback books alone.  When I first read Burning Chrome, I said Now this is Modern Sci-Fi.  What had been Sci-Fi before had nothing to do with that book, and this is why the term we use here was coined.

The internet was unknown of by the early writers.  After reading Gibson I felt little difference between Melville and Asimov.  They might as well been cave paintings to me now.  

True no one set out to create a genre.  But nonetheless one exists.  Sci-Fi that incorporates a sophisticated online network for me defines the genre being spoken of here.  I am not naming it because I don’t feel confident that the term is public.

I believe a game can be made, to some degree.  But if the community will recognize it is another thing.  Blade Runner was mentioned as an example of the genre.  But I don’t think it was, because it lacked evidence of a World Wide Web.  To me all computers seemed to be only on Local Area Networks (LAN).  The use of blurred cultural lines is the only connection to the genre I saw.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Im also interested in the Shadowrun series as well as the Rift series. (unrelated to the current Rift mmo)

Dune, Blade Runner and the Matrix world would all be good places to set a new mmo in.

Doubt there will be a AAA title, maybe there will be a good B grade release.
  • khanstructkhanstruct Member UncommonPosts: 756
    freegames said:
    Im also interested in the Shadowrun series as well as the Rift series. (unrelated to the current Rift mmo)

Dune, Blade Runner and the Matrix world would all be good places to set a new mmo in.

Doubt there will be a AAA title, maybe there will be a good B grade release.
    Dune is awesome, but I don't think it'd be a very good MMO. Blade Runner could be cool if they expanded the world a bit (more than just Blade Runners and Replicants). And the Matrix... umm.

In defense of the Matrix, it could have been awesome. They could have had "real world" aspects to it (which is largely what we loved about the setting). They could have done more with crafting and hacking. They could have listened to ME!!! But they didn't. They made a flat, dull game, and everyone could max out in a week. Such a sad, sad failure :(

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Rhoklaw said:
    Thought THIS was our future cyberpunk MMO?
    IS there something I missed? I thought CP2077 was a Sp RPG?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Torval said:
    Distopia said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Thought THIS was our future cyberpunk MMO?
    IS there something I missed? I thought CP2077 was a Sp RPG?
    I don't think you missed anything. The last I looked it was a single player game.
    Thought so.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198

I doubt AAA MMORPGs will ever return. Just go to the other thread about what people play. Even on this site, people are playing MANY, mmo and non-mmo games.

Few players will play nothing but a single big mmorpgs anymore. So it makes sense to have smaller experiences, and given there is so many ways to do online MP, the MMO format is no longer dominant.
    I doubt there has been anyone who only played big MMORPGs.  In fact, many people I know who used to play MMORPG don't playing MMORPG now because of what they've become.  As my friend said "I didn't leave MMORPG.  MMORPG left them." 
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    A quality remake of Neocron would be phenomenal. Or even an MMORPG of the Judge Dredd universe would make for a great cyberpunk game. But I'm afraid no AAA quality MMORPG is going to exist. Not until VR becomes commonplace, anyway. There are few indy games in the works but, by their nature, it's unlikely they are going to get anywhere or at any reasonable pace.

For non-mmos, Deus Ex:Mankind Divided and Cyberpunk 2077 will be coming in the not too distant future.

A weird thing has happened though. While I still really enjoy the cyberpunk universe. It's just not the same as it was in the 90s or before when many of these things were still fiction. Many of the "cool factor" concepts of hacking, hijacking, infiltrating, bone implants, cyber implants, futuristic weapons, Mix of low-tech vs high tech, and virtual reality aren't as cool anymore since they either exist in modern day or aren't too far away.
    mmoguy43 said:

For non-mmos, Deus Ex:Mankind Divided and Cyberpunk 2077 will be coming in the not too distant future.

yeh .. and these games (at least Deus Ex) will do scripted story well. I will definitely at least play Deus Ex, if not CP 2077 also.

I doubt there has been anyone who only played big MMORPGs.  In fact, many people I know who used to play MMORPG don't playing MMORPG now because of what they've become.  As my friend said "I didn't leave MMORPG.  MMORPG left them." 
    It is more than that. AAA devs also leave MMORPGs. You still have MMOs like War of Warship being developed, but AAA MMORPGs .. those probably are also gone for good.