Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam is completely flooded with MS-DOS games... It's like sifting through a giant trash compactor.

13»

Comments

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Abuz0r said:
    So I go on Steam to find a new game to play, some kind of adventure, rpg, or something.  I click RPG, it displays 52,000 games, 99.9% of which have amazing cover pictures, then you click in to see something with pre-runescape graphics.  Games that look like they were designed for an original ATARI.  I have to go through page after page after page after page clicking into trash games to try to find ones that even look like they were developed using programming language post-2004.  Is there some way I can hide all the games that are junk on Steam so that I can see quality games?

Advice, thanks.
    Welcome to the world of Indy Programmers making games because gamers' think that we will get better games.  Yes Indy programmers are people off the street with little to no computer experience so you get a pile of shit.  That's because Indy companies hire these people off the street for little or no money and say here sign a 5 year contract for 10K a year we will teach you how to be a programmer.  So when they dont know shit like Java garbage collection or Heap Dumps thats why.  O and I work with an Indy outsourcing agency right now because we outsourced most of our IT loads.  Guess what when I have to screenshot every mouse click I would take or the IT person in India cannot do the work there is a major problem and I spend more time creating documentation than I do if I do the work myself.

So until gamers stop buying shit off the steam we will continue to see low quality games and Fanboys that defend that crap.  Yet they cannot put 2 and 2 together to get 4.  If they spend money on Indy developers then US developers dont get a job, which means less jobs here and more Indy jobs.  If this trend keeps up there will be no work in the US for US workers just Rich CEOs LOL because people were stupid and bought indy.  
  • Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    I think you're confusing indy with india
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    The title sums it up pretty well lol.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I love Steam. not sure why the hate is heavy on them lately.
    Because it's turned into an outlet where "Let's pretend we develop games" companies can go and scam money from people under the guise of "Early Access".
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    edited February 2016
    Well to be fair the Internet Archive just added over 1000 win3.1 games for free download.
    https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_win3_games&tab=collection

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Steam may be the worst website on the web.....Try to download it and they put garbage in and my antivirus and spyware go nuts......Also refuse to play games that make me go through Steam to access them....Bought Skyrim and had to go thru steam, then had a problem with my email and it got closed, and steam wouldnt let me change it so I basically got screwed out of skyrim because I cant access that email anymore.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Yeah they went from greenlighting a few games to taking anything that might sell.  There are a few good games I have found but mostly garbage.  I don't get how something that looks terrible and has terrible reviews ends up on my "featured" list.

I loved Steam and still like it but I tend to buy games other places now (even if I get a Steam Key).  I don't mind the platform but the flood of garbage and the lack of killer sales (what got me there) makes it about 3rd on my list.  I still prefer digital but I'll stick with Gog, Greenman, HB or even d2d.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    If I didn't need Steam for Skyrim.............
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I think Steam is awesome and actually helps the industry.  While I do agree there are a lot of crappy games that should be removed (StarForge and Aftermath) it also provides us with some great opportunities we might not have gotten like Kerbal Space Program and Elite Dangerous. 

We have to take the bad with the good.  If gamers would actually research their purchases instead of buying based on the demo videos there would be a lot less rage on forums.  Check the discussion page for the game, look on youtube for some actual gameplay footage and check some reviews. 

Gamers need to take a little more responsibility for their purchases.  It is exactly why there is so much trash on Steam because gamers throw money at anything.  StarForge is a great example, the devs stopped supporting it a year ago, it has terrible reviews and a very low score and yet every day some "gamer" looks at the marketing video for it and says SWEET, here is my money.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD