Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam is completely flooded with MS-DOS games... It's like sifting through a giant trash compactor.

Comments

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Problem is every high school, college, and tech school game design homework project is now uploaded to steam to try and get paid. Does not matter than most are never updated or completed because the class moves on to another project.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited January 2016
    umm all the filters are there , for ex .. you can filter RPG then Indie ... seems most folks just need to learn how to use Steam rather than come to forums with unfounded whining..
      Can also then filter out single/coop/multi/ , Operating Sytem etc .. learn to use the sytem they provided very easy and accesible
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Well you don't just hae to browse on Steam; there is UPlay, Origin, and stuff on the Humble Bundle store. In their own way these are filters - often it is a key you purchase for Steam. There are indie games on HB as well e.g. Submerged,

And as Erillion says use filters, check out review scores etc. Maybe search on classics as well.

And some old games have been updated e.g. realMyst whilst others are just worth playing even if the graphics are not as slick as today - there is a line in the sand for me but some - Overlord, Dungeon Keeper 2 etc. - are just fun ... occasionally anyway.
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    I don't object to the new indie titles getting space on steam.  What I do object to is the has been money grab.  Steam selling games that were released well over a decade ago for stupid prices when we used to be able to pick them up for a pound in the local bargain bucket.  Steam is trying to be gog.com and failing in spectacular fashion.  At least it's easy to get refunds now.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I also use the filters I do not even check the stuff that normally comes up until I place all my filters in.
    Chamber of Chains
  • XxeroxXxerox Member UncommonPosts: 126
    edited January 2016
    Undertale, Cave Story etc.

No wonder you are all dissapointed from MMORPG games. You expect the impossible. Expect tehnologies that will be avaiable in 20 years.  And in 20 years you will be disappointed anyway.

Honesly i have never played better games than Undertale and Cave Story and their graphics are not the best.

And yes, there are some pure trash games, but they are enjoyed too. Do you know why? Because there are people out there who find them fun. There is always someone out there who likes those games.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sure is a shame there is no where else on the internet to purchase new games, then people would not have to deal with all the crap on Steam.

Oh wait......

:p

First world problems

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Scorchien said:
    umm all the filters are there , for ex .. you can filter RPG then Indie ... seems most folks just need to learn how to use Steam rather than come to forums with unfounded whining..
      Can also then filter out single/coop/multi/ , Operating Sytem etc .. learn to use the sytem they provided very easy and accesible

I can browse on a genre but I can't exclude a genre. I can't select more than one tag at once. Am I missing something here?
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I believe valve themselves have talked about this issue before, as has just about every gaming magazine and website out there. 

The problem is one of semantics. Indie just means independent, i.e. self-funded. In general, this does mean low-quality shit, but there are some high quality, big budget indie games out there as well as a decent amount of middle-of-the-road indie games. 

There is no accepted tag / filter that can weed out the crap, because "crap" is subjective. 

There are two combinations that would provide the data we need, but one is not possible and the other isn't offered:
    • Development budget - this would be the most useful. For example, I'd love to be able to search for all games with a budget of £1m+. This would weed out most of the crap but still keep the bigger indie games. However, studios don't often publicise development budgets so in most cases, this data isn't available. If Steam asked devs to provide their budgets, a lot would probably lie about it anyway. 
    • Ratings / No of Users - Steam allows you to filter by rating I believe, but not by number of ratings. So, if I search RPGs with a high rating, it shows me the commonly accepted good games alongside shit indie titles which have only been reviewed twice. However, if I could search by games with 80% rating and a minimum 1000 ratings, the results would be much better. 

As mentioned by a previous poster, Steam does now have Curators which you can follow and this feeds into your main advertisements / queue. This is Steams way of getting around the tagging / searching problem: rather than solve it themselves, they've given the community a way to solve it on their own. I personally don't use this functionality as I haven't taken the time to really search for good curators, I generally just read a lot of PCGamer and build my wishlist based off them plus friend's recommendations. 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I've never seemed to encounter the problem the OP describes; I generally just use my Discovery Queue unless it's a specific title I'm searching for.  In the Queue usually takes about 2-3 seconds for me to go "no way" or "all right, looks interesting; I'll keep watching", and I've been surprised by some titles that way.  I'm not sure if the Queue does any filtering on its own, but the ratio of 'acceptable presentation' to "trash" is very high.

Other ways I discover games while on Steam is according to what my friends play, and during sales.

Otherwise, I will generally go by gaming-related publications that I trust, and realspace (yes, I just used that word) conversations.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    bcbully said:
    Dude it's crazy isn't it? People who play those games call themselves retro gamers. I met a 21 year old who freaking loves side scrolers. Those games are being made for him and people like him. I equate it to people who play mobile games. I can't do it... I'm not playing something that looks like something I played 30 years ago! /endrant

to answer your quest, no you can't I tried a few weeks ago...
    You see this... this is the prejudice I've talked about.  You used the pronoun that implies the greatest distance when referring to what you perceive as a social group, also implying collaboration among those individuals you are distancing yourself from ("people like him"); this is a form of pseudospeciation, probably subconscious.

As if "people who play mobile games" form any sort of cohesive political, socioeconomic group, anyway.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited January 2016
    I wouldnt mind filtering OUT all things NON-indie to be honest

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Torval said:
    Scot said:
    Scorchien said:
    I can browse on a genre but I can't exclude a genre. I can't select more than one tag at once. Am I missing something here?
    You can select more than one filter, or add custom filters in the "advanced" search window. Steam could definitely improve their search interface though. I hope no one would argue against that.

The game quality varies wildly, but I've found some really neat single dev projects. I've also found some fun RPG Maker games too. I've played several indie/single dev games where they are free. It's hard to complain about that.

There are some dooshy devs and companies that charge too much (or at all) for a junky game, but the refund policy is there for you. Also in those games I've found if you learn how to read through the feedback and filter out the garbage there you can see the highlights and flaws and make a decision whether the game will be right for you.

Thanks for that, did not realise you can click on the magnifying glass for advanced search. But not sure you can use that to not search for Indie. So if you click everything but Indie in the first set of tags then do a blank search you get a list. On which was Gary's Mod, so I don't think it is deselecting Indie?
  • Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    Maybe that's a mistake I'm making.  I don't ever go through the free games.  I guess I sort of feel like free games are just going to spam me with micro-transaction neediness.  That's what I've come to expect lol.
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Steam is flooded with trash retro games, cheap AAA cash grabs, re-releases of old games from pre 2005 and game development tools. The current Popular releases are:

1. F2P 16Bit trash mmorpg
    2. GameMaker: Farmville clone
    3. Game Development Tool
    4. F2P Lane pusher/tower defence AAA Studio cash grab
    5. 16 Bit Half Life 1 Mod
    6. 16 Bit 2004 Fantasy Strategy
    7. Retro 8bit twin stick shooter 
    8. Retro 8Bit twin stick shooter
    9. Game Development Tool
    10. Retro 8Bit twin stick shooter

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Joe30174Joe30174 Member CommonPosts: 6
    Back in the day, it was just like buy a game and play it. Not a billion different reviews to worry about, no super hype for certain games.  They had a big variety of types out games.  Now it's so confusing
    A bunch of those games have their thumbnail at a higher resolution than the game supports.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited February 2016
    Joe30174 said:
    Back in the day, it was just like buy a game and play it. Not a billion different reviews to worry about, no super hype for certain games.  They had a big variety of types out games.  Now it's so confusing
    reminds me of a quote I heard someone say

'the appeal of Apple is that you dont have to think about what you like, they just tell you what you like. no need to think'

the statment was in reference to the music store just showing the same thing to everyone

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    It's pretty easy to find the games you're looking for on Steam, you just need to search appropriately. Through store, make sure you're in the featured items section, scroll down the tabs that list "Popular New Releases", "Top Sellers", "Upcoming", and "Specials". Select whichever, scroll down to where it says "see more". There's a button beside that, possibly two (which may give you differing results depending on what you've chosen). Click that, and in the screen that loads following, you'll notice that by the search field there's a selection for how you'd like to sort the list. Select user reviews. The vast majority of shit will now be at the end of your search.

I personally search by specials and user reviews. Pretty frequent bargains in there.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

I use a ton of filters like 3d online multi-player  and then I get a giant steaming dung pile of unrelated Ms dos BASIC programming homework projects. 
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Try using less filters. I don't have a problem avoiding the games that people seem to have an issue with here, most of them have poor to middling user reviews.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    I see what you're talking about OP. Seems like steam is full of occasonial programming dabblers that try to make a game and sell it on steam. I know there aren't tons of AAA games coming out every day but still.

MurderHerd

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    This is why I don't have a Steam account, and never will.  I've tried looking through their website and noticed the same thing.  I just play most of my games on Consoles instead.  Don't have that issue in the PS Store...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Steam is okay, not my favorite but it's not that bad.