Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five Console RPG’s that Need to be Rebooted - Robert Lashley at MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    I'm honestly surprised that great games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics never got a reboot as of yet.

Let's reboot all Final Fantasy games despite some had not that great of a success in the past instead of rebooting the great classics many would surely buy! Herp Derp!

• WikileaksEUWikileaksEU Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited February 2016
    You forgot one of the best RPGs for PS2. Champions: Return to Arms.
  • GeohoundXVIIGeohoundXVII Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Aidyn Chronicles
  • honeybadger2013honeybadger2013 Member UncommonPosts: 32
    1. Tales of Phantasia

2. Secret of Mana I & II

3. Chronotrigger

4. Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen

5. Metroid Prime
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Bloodaxes said:
    I'm honestly surprised that great games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics never got a reboot as of yet.

Let's reboot all Final Fantasy games despite some had not that great of a success in the past instead of rebooting the great classics many would surely buy! Herp Derp!
    Both great games but and of course only my opinion,FF3 was maybe the best game ever made for that era.FF3 is of course the game FFXI was created on no wonder i loved FFXI so much.

Even so FF3 did things FFXI did not and all those years ago,it used secret rooms and secrets something i would like to see more of in our  games.

It really is just crazy to see a game made in 1990 "obviously started years prior" that used the sub class design that is taking other developer 20+ years to realize.26 years ago is insane the game was way ahead of it's time.
    Having said that,i guess a remake of FF3 would not be so intriguing since we already have FFXi.

A game i always liked and would like to see a big upgrade with additional ideas was Langrisser 2.Released in 94,again a game from 22 years ago,i can only imagine what a good creative developer could do with the game.
    Another game i would like to s see redone is Shingen the Ruler.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    I am strongly against a reboot given the current state of the industry. They would simply leave out all tht made thos games the classics that they are, and sell half of the other features als DLC.

And if we get a reboot now, they will either stay that way as just described, or get dropped like a hot potate and not picked up again for another 20 years, if ever.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• rapatpamprapatpamp Member UncommonPosts: 144

Legend of Dragoon

OMG I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1,000,000 to this.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I wouldn't mind a new Suikoden game, preferably on PC.

The combat system of them sucked though but it had good stories and well made characters. The last thing is something I missed in RPGs for a pretty long time, games like Baldurs gate had it but now it feels like they flesh out a few and just make the rest 2 dimensional cardboard characters.
  • rogosh_talmourrogosh_talmour Member CommonPosts: 1
    If someone else mentioned it I am sorry I didn't see it but what about Illusion of Gaia? It was a GREAT action rpg with a great story!
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Xenogears for anyone who doesn't think that JRPG stories don't hold up to classics like Baldur's Gate you've never played Xenogears

And I would love a remake of the original Knights of the Old Republic

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Maquiame said:
    Xenogears for anyone who doesn't think that JRPG stories don't hold up to classics like Baldur's Gate you've never played Xenogears

And I would love a remake of the original Knights of the Old Republic
    That was the best story in a video game I have ever seen.
  • WasadiWasadi Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Rogue Galaxy

If you ain't dyin', then you ain't tryin'.

• ApexDescendApexDescend Member UncommonPosts: 27
    why is it that every post regarding ancient garbage games everyone replies on it like a chicken on crack? liking old games only makes you less if a person, wannabe hipsters
  • LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Nice article Rob! I agree 100% with your list and those that listed Chrono Trigger as well. These games pretty much sum up a good portion of my childhood. Nice to see someone recognizing the accomplishments that Secret of Mana brought to the SNES.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Would love to see a new Phantasy Star.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

I want some of the SSI Gold Box games remade. Pools of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Ravenloft. Some good times right there.

Would they still be turn based combat? I never finished any of them, was always too busy. When I first played "KOTOR", I thought that would be a good template for "Pool of Radiance." Today's crowd would just complain that all he encounters were not epic enough, or felt too much like kill 10 X.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• GarbracGarbrac Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Earthbound!
  • patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142
    I would like to see Xenogears without the cuts that had to be made on the second part of the game.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ohhh don't get me started. I'll just mention two but could probably list a dozen of amazing games/series that could and definitely should be rebooted. Funnily enough I never cared about the .hack series. I would die a happy man If these two were rebooted:

-Shadow Hearts, especially the 2nd one
    -Skies of Arcadia. JRPG perfection for me, a highly original setting and an feel good rpg amidst a sea of emo, dead serious, journey to find oneself rpgs
    - Shining Force. Yes I cheated but my god, part 3 on Saturn still kicks so much behind.....

Dammit, time to dust off my old consoles, thanks for the list!!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    edited February 2016
    imageChrono Trigger should be at the top of the list. I still think it is the best game ever made, from beginning to end.

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Would say yes to all
    Chrono Trigger
    Illusion of Gaia
    Earthbound
    Skies of Arcadia
    Castlevania Symphony of the Night
    What? it still counts
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Saga Frontier

SF 1 and 2, yes please. That is the Dark Souls of classic JRPGS.

Squenix has a golden library of games and they keep focusing on FF. FF franchise saved them from closure and it will also bring their demise.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    edited February 2016
    No Valkyrie Profile?
    No Xenogears?
    No Chrono Trigger?
    No Phantasy Star?
    No Legend of Legaia?
    No Legend of Dragoon?

Seriously? The only ones from your list that actually belong there are Breath of Fire and Secret of Mana. FF Mystic Quest.. seriously? The FF for people that need a RPG with training wheels. dotHack... come on. They NEVER made a good game for that series.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    to the hell with reboots. I prefer a more interesting new story who continue from it then a rebbot just to say we did, and fucked all the things we already know.

main reason I prefer mangas over US comics, too many reboots, lack of new characters.
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.