Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plenty of Blade, But What About Soul? - Blade & Soul Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imagePlenty of Blade, But What About Soul? - Blade & Soul Review

Blade & Soul may not be a new game anymore, having been out in other regions for 3 years now, but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been anxiously awaited here in the EU and NA. But after all the hype, all the downloads and queues, how is the actual game after dozens of hours of playing? Read on for our full review.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    The combat might, might... be good for mindless melee fighters, but for mindfull sorcerers that need a little more, this game is ridiculously bad.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Nice review. I agree. Game has a ton of potential, and as a person who has level up 2 lvl 45's, the PvE is so Linear, that even the decent story doesn't really do it for me. Pretty frustrating, because I want one of each class at max level lol.
  • tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Rng Boxes are allrdy gone btw
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Game gets the rightful stick at every other page out there (collecting mediocre 5-6/10 scores), but MMORPG.com always seems to be a little bit more forgiving about average games ;)

Hodor!

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Game was good as a Subscription game, the Japanese version was excellent. This F2P thing they made though is just plain awful. All the garbage items created, the addition of needing to unlock everything with even more items all while locking storage...also, untradeable, undeletable, unsellable items?!? totally FUBAR.

They turned it into a money grab and for no reason. The original game was good enough to pick up a few hundred thousand subscribers here. Instead we get yet another trashed F2P with a heavy dose of Asian style cash shops that wont hold most people here for more than a month or two.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281
    For me the story is enjoyable (but the PvE is gruelling), and the PvP is a hectic mess of fun.

The dungeons I'm sad to say are terribly uninventive, but not for lack of trying! The devs have obviously tried various concepts (especially towards end game), but I believe that they simply don't have the skill or imagination required to properly develop group content.

The PvP has a huge skill ceiling. The game is so fast that it allows for it, but at the same time I can't help but feel that certain classes have a much easier baseline, without losing much in terms of potential. I am not an amazing PvPer tho, so take it with a grain of salt.

In my humble opinion, had this come out 3 years ago (right after Asian release), it would have smashed opinion polls, but as it is, the systems are...old, too old.
  • ZukapeZukape Member UncommonPosts: 93
    I really like the review. It does tell exactly what I was thinking. To be honest to you, If you really really really like PvP then definetly you should stick with this game. I think worst part I experienced was grinding gears to upgrade mine... Far as I know premium players are not dealing a situation like that. Am I right?
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I would give it a 6 personally.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

Mitara said:

The combat might, might... be good for mindless melee fighters, but for mindfull sorcerers that need a little more, this game is ridiculously bad.

I picture Gandalf puffing on his pipe and pondering... Must I tab target and press 5 now, or shall I do it later? A sorcerer must ponder such mysteries.

On topic: I think this is a very fair review, and agree with pretty much everything said. The gameplay carries the game. Plain and simple. If people are only interested in slaying dragons, this is not a game that will last long for them. For people who have been wanting a MMORPG with a competitive PVP scene, this is the only option.
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    simsalabim77 said: For people who have been wanting a MMORPG with a competitive PVP scene, this is the only option.
    I want a real PvP scene, blade and soul has that, and even if i wish the game had more PvE, it remains the only option for good mmo PvP at present time.
  • ivaylo1981ivaylo1981 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I love the game but the review is 100% true and perfect!
    edited February 2016

Zukape said:

I really like the review. It does tell exactly what I was thinking. To be honest to you, If you really really really like PvP then definetly you should stick with this game. I think worst part I experienced was grinding gears to upgrade mine... Far as I know premium players are not dealing a situation like that. Am I right?

No premium players don't have any advantages there is absolutely no p2w in this game it's actually a bit ridiculous how little actual value there is in being premium the wardrobe (which free in other regions btw) is pretty much the only thing worth it and only if you collect a lot of costumes tbh i won't renew my subscription on the current model it's just not worth it at all, i mean if they gave premium some shop members at least some shop currency, bag vouchers or anything.
  • g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    MMO seem to either have good pvp and horrible everything else or the opposite. This ga me is no exception. I don't care for the art style or pve and that makes it harder for me to immerse myself into the pvp. I love pet style classes but I simply can not abide by the look of the summoner.
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    I think the headline says it all. It has plenty of Blade, but very little Soul :)
  • URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671
    i couldn't stick with it and i even paid to get passed those queues. it was seriously about as mind numbing of a gaming experience as i've ever had. it takes more than great combat...at least for me. here lately its been 2-3 months tops as far as new mmos i've tried but i lasted like 2 weeks here(lvl25). from everything i've heard/read its all about the 1v1...i could be wrong. i want a living breathing world with a variety of different things to do that are somewhat engaging and i didn't get a sense of that at all with bns.

edited February 2016

URMAKER said:

i couldn't stick with it and i even paid to get passed those queues. it was seriously about as mind numbing of a gaming experience as i've ever had. it takes more than great combat...at least for me. here lately its been 2-3 months tops as far as new mmos i've tried but i lasted like 2 weeks here(lvl25). from everything i've heard/read its all about the 1v1...i could be wrong. i want a living breathing world with a variety of different things to do that are somewhat engaging and i didn't get a sense of that at all with bns.

You should look into some older games then, games like that are not very popular these day, even the upcoming BDO is actually an even more shallow game then BnS it just looks a bit prettier.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I'm not going to get into what i think of the combat,doesn't really matter anymore,not like they are going to change the game for me lol.

Staying power,yep but not as a PVE game,ONLY with it's esport which imo is a poor reason to stick around any game,i play games for fun not to stream to make money or rank up ladders.

Just take a look at Dota,as soon as the Korean populace goes to bed the numbers drop off radically.So yeah Esport in korea is huge no wonder it is still going strong after 3 years.

Me personally i am a purist,i like ideas,animations,combat to all make sense and imo BnS makes little to no sense.However yes it will have some staying power in the pvp scene.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited February 2016

tet666 said:

URMAKER said:

You should look into some older games then, games like that are not very popular these day, even the upcoming BDO is actually an even more shallow game then BnS it just looks a bit prettier.

Can you please explain how BDO is more shallow than Blade and Soul?

This:
    sums it up nicely i played the Korean version for 2 months and the game has absolutely NO content, there is just some fluff, a shit ton of grinding piss easy mobs and very unbalanced gear based open world pvp and ofc it looks pretty but that's about it. I myself am waiting for Bless online atm which looks like tit will be the game BDO was supposed to be.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• lemonhead78lemonhead78 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Great review Bill. I was about a 7 myself. I will admit though, I love the combat. I hate questing in MMO'S, but the combat made it palatable. More so than other games IMO. I do wish there was more depth, but dat combat....
    edited February 2016

I only played the game once for a short while in the last Beta. I have a key fro the next Beta and if it really is that shallow then I am bummed.

Yeah you need to play a bit to really see the problems with the game and it's also the reason why the game never really took of in any market.
    As i said if you are interested in this type of gameplay look in to Bless online it's shaping up to be what BDO was supposed to be and it's Koreas hottest new MMO atm.
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

Mitara said:

You cannot be serious.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    6.5/10 from me. I wouldn't blame someone for giving it a 5/10 depending on their background and how jaded they are with status quo.

I can't stress this enough - The combat is fun, it's engaging. The action combat doesn't eliminate the strategy of picking the right skills/passives. There IS a story being told (not the best, but not as crappy as Archeage).

Here's the problem.  You hit 45 and your game time is dedicated to doing dailies trying to make money to gear up for non-existent OWPVP (and with the update 3 more instances). Your weapon and gear will eventually hit a fork in the road where you can either A) Pray to RNGesus + Grind Gold  B) U PAAAAAY (Kooncoon voice) + Grind Gold  C) U PAAAAAAY + U BUY GOLD.

Crafting, Gathering and Economy is probably the worst I've ever seen in any game I've played. Hugely important crafted items are in 2 of the many professions. The demand for these items leads to ridiculous price gouging for the item AND the components to make them.

I won't even get into the lag and optimization.

So IMO it's just as flawed as TERA was but the combat is better. For people looking for Archeage minus the BS that ruined it... this ain't it, and I suspect Black Desert won't be either. Brace for disappointment.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯