Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best way to describe this game to someone that is burned out on MMORPG's?

RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
edited February 2016 in Black Desert Online
A little clarification. I wanted to try this game out for a while and am trying to get my friend into the game. However he has played quite a few MMORPG's and is very reluctant to play new ones. A little history is that they enjoy games that boast a lot of character development. 

Best Answer

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz UncommonPosts: 342
    Answer ✓
    Rictis said:
    A little clarification. I wanted to try this game out for a while and am trying to get my friend into the game. However he has played quite a few MMORPG's and is very reluctant to play new ones. A little history is that they enjoy games that boast a lot of character development. 
    There's no rush to level. As there are no raids or dungeons people are goading you towards, you can soak up the lower level content at your leisure. Aside from high level GvG (node wards, sieges) there are no set times for activities - There's no pressure to make appointments or pressured into learning strats and whatever.

Personally i enjoy this game simply because it lets me play it. I stuck over 200 hours into my first char on the KR version, which isn't even 50 yet. I just went around doing whatever and the game didn't punish me for doing whatever i wanted to do :)

Anyone who tells you that you need to rush to 50 is lying, nothing more, nothing less. There is no reason to do so unless you want to either compete in GvG a lot or want the prime grinding spots for grinding out cash, neither of which are necessary. You can simply play and enjoy the incredibly immersive game world. 

Honestly, watch Log Horizon, then play BDO. This game is the closest it gets to such an atmosphere imho :)

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

Answers

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    If he is burned out on MMORPGs, I don't see any reason to try this one.  Korean high fantasy MMORPG.  Game might be fun but nothing that different.  Of course, games are marketed as "genre-changing", "revolutionary", and such, and until they launch most players follow that line, but I think your friend needs a break. 
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Well, yeah that is always an option. Lets assume that I want to get him to try this out. Maybe back to the original question :+1: 
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    "Dude, sup? Look, I know you haven't been feeling MMOs for awhile, but there's this new Korean game... wait let me finish. No seriously, the grind's not even that bad... wait, don't get all crazy. I mean, yeah there's some RNG in the upgrade system... what do you mean I should feel bad for even suggesting it? So, I guess that's a no then? Alright, alright, I'll see you down the pub later."
  • OldOldGamerOldOldGamer Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Rictis said:

Stay away.....game is garbage and BORING after a month or two....once you have built up somewhat...log on....collect meat...collect berries...feed dinos...log....repeat....not long into the game, you dread even logging in.....the only reason you continue is to not let your dinos get claimed or your structures get hit.....set base on auto with turrets etc....there is no point in pvp or pve servers....the only thing this game offers is fresh meat who build then leave creating an even more crowded dino pop that requires more feeding......changes to nerf the attack pwr etc only add to the uselessness of this game....last straw was the addition of BattleEye.....enjoy granting full access to your files and folders if you want to play the game on a server that won't get wiped by a private individual who fancies a reset...game is a JOKE...
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    edited February 2016
    Rictis said:

Stay away.....game is garbage and BORING after a month or two....once you have built up somewhat...log on....collect meat...collect berries...feed dinos...log....repeat....not long into the game, you dread even logging in.....the only reason you continue is to not let your dinos get claimed or your structures get hit.....set base on auto with turrets etc....there is no point in pvp or pve servers....the only thing this game offers is fresh meat who build then leave creating an even more crowded dino pop that requires more feeding......changes to nerf the attack pwr etc only add to the uselessness of this game....last straw was the addition of BattleEye.....enjoy granting full access to your files and folders if you want to play the game on a server that won't get wiped by a private individual who fancies a reset...game is a JOKE...
    Dinos? I think you have the wrong game.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Pretty characters. Snow. That's all I've got at the moment.  

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    If he's burned out, he'll find reasons to hate it. My advice would be, don't try too hard.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Game lacks end game which is essential for longevity....

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    If you're burnt out, then this isn't really the game for you as it offers nothing special. Sure the character creation is excellent, but that's not the game unless you want to roleplay as a makeover artist.

Burnt out generally means looking for a different gamin g experience - I doubt this game will provide that.
  • Zen00Zen00 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I suggest you get into point & click adventure games like me. :P
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    It's a PVP game... did I mention that it was a PVP game... oh, yeah, in case you missed it, it's a PVP game.

One more time, for clarity... it's a PVP game.

Now that we have gotten that out of the way... if your friend dislikes PVP, this game definitely will become a turnoff the moment he/she gets camped.  You may try to play a PVP game like it's PVE, but in the end, you will get ganked... and ganked a lot.

Last, and probably most importantly... if you want to play it and they don't, just have them watch you play it, maybe even try it out in your home.  If they don't have any interest then, they NEVER will.

Odds are, it's the fact that it's a PVP game that will be the ultimate nail in the coffin.  Very few people actually enjoy PVP.
  • tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    edited February 2016
    Sovrath said:
    Rictis said:

Dinos? I think you have the wrong game.

Yep that's ARK^^
    Anyway it's a pretty Korean Theme park with some sand box elements.
    That's pretty much all there is to it, it will find it's niche if the publisher doesn't fuckup but it won't ever be a big thing.
    A lot of ppl will probably start bitching and moaning a few weeks after release cause there is no endgame content or anything other then world pvp and grinding mobs.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    More of the same, Korean style. As far as I can tell from reviews it is a shallow (single player focused) but awesome looking game, targeting casual players (the developer's own words). Well that is what I got from watching reviews, twitch and reading articles, I have no first hand experience.