Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSoft Profits Up, Guild Wars 2 Sales Soar - General News

2»

Comments

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    NCsoft are so open about their numbers, nice to see a company be so open instead of hide behind words like Square Enix or Blizzard.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    d_20 said:
    Seriously. How does Lineage make so much money? Isn't it the oldest game they have?
    All the most profitable mmo titles in the world are the older ones, old > new in the mmo genre.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Recore said:

DMKano said:

Recore said:

Thupli said:

Yikes, that's it for gw2 on an expansion release? Only doubling what the last quarter normal spending was? Ouch!

Double the revenue is not enough?

41,398 that would be double, they got 37,331

Still good imo.
    Agreed.  Any increase in profits is a good thing.  However, I'm not surprised.  if they made 40, people would have said 'why not 45?'  If they would have said 45, people would have said 'why not 50?'  Anything to make it seem like a bad thing.

It looks like they are making some good coin in a number of areas.  Always a positive story for the MMO industry.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Someone should make an MMO about the stock market and finances. Everyone on this site would be in their glory.

"My company has more sales than you! I win!"

"Nuh uh, compared to what you should have had you didn't perform well at all!"

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Lineage 1 is still one of my favorite games.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

arakkune said:

Isn't HOT revenue spread out in more than 1 quarter? Like the preorders were up in July(?) Im sure i bought my preorder in August. So its kinda wrong to base the revenue on Q4.
    Still kinda disappointed
    Edit 2:
    GW2 reddit makes a valid point that the expansion was pretty expensive

Yes and no.

Usually companies don't "book" pre-order revenue until the product (or service) is delivered. Usually it will be shown as anticipated future revenue. (Depends on the reporting standards used.)

However based on GW2's sales it is reasonable to assume that HoT will continue to generate some additional revenue going forward. Some HoT sales will probably be to retailers as well which will muddy the water.

GW2's basic costs however will be largely unchanged however many people play more revenue will translate not only to higher profit but also a higher Return on Investment. There is, of course, the matter of what it cost to make HoT.

What we don't know however is how much of the extra revenue is due to sales of HoT and how much is down to basic GW2 becoming free-to-download.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

If they really want numbers to soar, put out Lineage Eternal in 2016.

Hear Hear!
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Dreamo84 said:

Someone should make an MMO about the stock market and finances. Everyone on this site would be in their glory.

"My company has more sales than you! I win!"

"Nuh uh, compared to what you should have had you didn't perform well at all!"

You know I bought 1000 shares of macromedia for $13 a share way way back based on an editorial on the very last page of a PC gamer magazine. Literally every penny I had and them some. They then split 3 times before the adobe buy out giving me 8000 shares going into the buyout. After the acquisition I had roughly 5000 shares of adobe, shortly after it split to give me 10000 shares of adobe. Adobe is currently around $74 a share. All thanks to PC Gamer.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    DMKano said:

Chess is how old? 600AD - still played today.

OMG, I laughed so hard.  Best comeback of 2016. 

Thanks Kano, because of you we now have 8 months left of worthless posting because you already blew the lid off of 2016.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• renegeedrenegeed Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Looks like the steam release is Wildstar's last chance to succeed, if it doesn't.. well, I wouldn't expect it to be here in 2018.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I can write my name with yellow letters in the snow