Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSoft Profits Up, Guild Wars 2 Sales Soar - General News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageNCSoft Profits Up, Guild Wars 2 Sales Soar - General News

NCSoft has released its Q4 2015 revenue report that shows quarter-over-quarter growth across the board, including a significant surge for Guild Wars 2 seemingly tied to the release of the Heart of Thorns expansion.

Read the full story here

You can also check out this MMORPG.com forum thread for more reactions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Yikes, that's it for gw2 on an expansion release? Only doubling what the last quarter normal spending was? Ouch!
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Thupli said:

Yikes, that's it for gw2 on an expansion release? Only doubling what the last quarter normal spending was? Ouch!

Double the revenue is not enough?
    For an expansion release, double what a low last quarter was? Not.even close.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

DMKano said:

Recore said:

Thupli said:

41,398 that would be double, they got 37,331

Still good imo.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    If they really want numbers to soar, put out Lineage Eternal in 2016.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Thupli said:
    You seem to be forgetting that they've got a constant source of revenue through their gem store.
    Nice to see that Wildstar's making a slight comeback too. It's not even remotely close to what their other games are bringing in, but it's at least taking a small step back from the abyss.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Well wildstar went up then going down.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Recore said:

Thupli said:

No amount would satisfy some people once they have made up their mind. 
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853
    Well, not surprising, but the GW2 fans are not looking at the sales numbers objectively.

That revenue increase is not very good.

That's the quarter the Heart of Thorns released in. A $50 expansion.

So, if HoT had sold 1 million copies then that would have been around $50 million in revenue. But, the HoT quarter is only made $31 million in revenue.

So, realistically that would put sales in the area of 300,000 over the course of 2 months.

When HoT was released ArenaNet was boasting 7 million accounts for GW2.

Definitely not good.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Right now it's the only NC title I'm waiting for. My only hope is that they'll have a VERY GOOD anti-bot system. If not I'm not gonna play it at all (just look at L2 and BnS...)
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    edited February 2016

Thupli said:

Lets analyze that:

Quarter before expansion release was quite slow time for GW2. Everyone was just waiting for expansion.

So lets take 1000 as control number of players. Of those 1000 maybe 10% on average spent something in game store, for average of a 1$.

That is 100$ profit

When expansion hit. Lets presume 50% of those 1000 players got the expansion.
    That is 500x50$=25000

Double of 100$ is 200$ which is double profit from last quarter, and its pathetic. Its like only 4 people bought expansion, not 500.

You see now why the revenues are actually low

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Seriously. How does Lineage make so much money? Isn't it the oldest game they have?

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240
    All the numbers look good to me for sales, but revenue means little compared to profit. From the previous quarters of net income it has increased so that is good for NC Soft, but they rely heavily on their sales in their home market in Korea and need to increase their profitable playerbase in the US+EU market. The release of Blade & Soul as well as the Guild Wars 2 expansion has definitely helped their sales and profit numbers. Their income from China has also increased which is good for them. The numbers from Japan have been fairly stable all year, but the numbers in Taiwan fluctuate wildly. Also the value of the won has been dropping against the US and EU currencies while rising against the Yen and NT, which on paper looks like massive increases in sales and income in addition the new releases of B & S and HOT as well as promotions in these markets during this time has definitely helped them.

The numbers in Blade & Soul are very good even with some accounts being gold sellers and with the release of Heart of Thorns, while it is not as successful as GW2 numbers 5 million copies, believe it was 2 million at full price and the rest at discounted prices. For Blade & Soul they need to control the gold market somehow by using coin exclusive items possibly. For the gold sellers they can simply limit the number of messages one can send an hour that include certain words or symbols such as gold for x$ and repeat offenders will be timed out and possibly banned from chat/private message.
    Anyone know how many copies hot sold? Did it even break 1 million? By the revenue it looks difficult and unlikely.

Comment up thread got me thinking because they were talking a while back how F2P tyria opened up 2 or 3 million accounts or thereabouts.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    d_20 said:
    Seriously. How does Lineage make so much money? Isn't it the oldest game they have?
    Aion was their biggest game for a few years, with the release of Blade & Soul many people left Aion. Blade&Soul was their first game with a monthly sub and after the launch rush people started leaving. Around that time Lineage went f2p which meant people chose to go for lineage instead of aion.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • arakkunearakkune Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited February 2016
    Isn't HOT revenue spread out in more than 1 quarter? Like the preorders were up in July(?) Im sure i bought my preorder in August. So its kinda wrong to base the revenue on Q4.
    Still kinda disappointed
    Edit 2:
    GW2 reddit makes a valid point that the expansion was pretty expensive
    DMKano said:
    d_20 said:

WoW is over 11 years old.

Age of game has nothing to do with profitability.

Chess is how old? 600AD - still played today.

How about Go? 2500 years old - still played today.

If core gameplay resonates with masses - it will be played for a LONG time.
    I can understand that about chess, etc., but what about Lineage? I only played a trial once a long time ago, so I don't know anything about it really, but (1) why does this particular game have such a strong appeal and (2) how is it monetized to capitalize on that appeal?

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    edited February 2016
    Numbers dont look too bad for NCSoft.

B&S will surely rise again in Q12016 with the release in EU/NA. GW2 seems a bit underwhelming for a big expansion start although it doubled.

And WS remains just a grain of dust in this whole company. That is an absolute shocking number. In no way is this game making any profits at all. Seems to be the first game that didnt even make a positive F2P shift, as I would think the costs for this shift should outnumber the small increase by a lot. NCSoft will pull the plug soon.

Hodor!

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932

d_20 said:

DMKano said:

d_20 said:

I can understand that about chess, etc., but what about Lineage? I only played a trial once a long time ago, so I don't know anything about it really, but (1) why does this particular game have such a strong appeal and (2) how is it monetized to capitalize on that appeal?

L1 is the most unique NC game when it comes to its openess and open PvP. Even L2 falls short when compared to L1 game mechanics.
    edited February 2016
    Kabulozo said:

d_20 said:

DMKano said:

d_20 said:

L1 is the most unique NC game when it comes to its openess and open PvP. Even L2 falls short when compared to L1 game mechanics.
    Then I guess that says something about the validity of an older game's design for their target audience. I'm guessing this income is coming mainly from the Korean market. I wonder why no one designs a newer game which builds on the apparently very strong design of the original Lineage.

Edit: ...why no one has *successfully* been able to build a newer game that offers what the original Lineage does.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    d_20 said:
    Then I guess that says something about the validity of an older game's design for their target audience. I'm guessing this income is coming mainly from the Korean market. I wonder why no one designs a newer game which builds on the apparently very strong design of the original Lineage.

Edit: ...why no one has *successfully* been able to build a newer game that offers what the original Lineage does.
    It's because Lineage already exists. You might as well ask why no one builds a successful WoW clone.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515

Agreed

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    meh.

if it werent for Wildstar or GW2 i wouldn't of never known who NCsoft was. dont really care for any of those games under their portfolio tbh.

hope they keep gw2 n wildstar.