Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Latest Newsletter Begins Introduction of Classes

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageLatest Newsletter Begins Introduction of Classes

The latest Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen newsletter has been published on the official site that begins the process of introducing fans to the classes that will be coming with the game. Brad McQuaid begins the discussion by outlining the design objectives behind classes in general and then he provides a first look at the Cleric.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    To this day, Vanguard SOH remains one of the MMO's with the most diverse class dynamics of any MMO I've played. Though there were several "tanks"' "heals", "dps'ers"' and "CC'ers"' their individual play styles and utilities really set them apart from each other.

My wife's favorite class of any game ever was the Psionisist and I've never seen a game where utility and CC classes were so well used or important in group play. Looks like they are taking a page from this old class design for their new classes which is great to see.
  • olgreyolgrey Member CommonPosts: 2
    I must admit Pantheon has me excited, I like the direction they are going and hope that they don't get swayed to change.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    edited February 2016
    How would pillar shield work? Is it like EQ's Sanctuary AA, or is it a type of CC?

Does the cleric follow a diety that influences their abilities, do they have spells against undead?
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

DMKano said:

To this day, Vanguard SOH remains one of the MMO's with the most diverse class dynamics of any MMO I've played. Though there were several "tanks"' "heals", "dps'ers"' and "CC'ers"' their individual play styles and utilities really set them apart from each other.

My wife's favorite class of any game ever was the Psionisist and I've never seen a game where utility and CC classes were so well used or important in group play. Looks like they are taking a page from this old class design for their new classes which is great to see.

Brad himself said that EQ1 is the foundation for Pantheon.

I sure hope there is a good dose of Vanguard in there as well. I consider it the superior game to EQ.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    I sort of wish they posted in game screen shots of the Cleric along with the concept art.

Concept art doesn't get me excited because that's not what the player is usually playing. I want to see the avatars in all their glory.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Sovrath said:
    I sort of wish they posted in game screen shots of the Cleric along with the concept art.

Concept art doesn't get me excited because that's not what the player is usually playing. I want to see the avatars in all their glory.
    I could have written this up. If your going to say look here is a new class, screens and video would be nice. Something to sink our teeth into. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yes i always want to see "in action" videos of what we are discussing,you can't get a good idea without seeing.
    Skeptic,possibly,realist likely but i just see so much of the articles as nothing more than click baits.
    I feel this site has lost it's passion for gaming news and more interested in advertising or clicks.

Personally i don't like the notion we are just going to see another EQ with a different skin,even the Cleric is still plate armor,Blunt damage.

I don't like the notion of healers wearing plate and weapon damage should vary depending on what you are fighting.A healer for example should have piercing "Dagger" small dot,Sword Slashing more dmg more dot but slower so less defense,Staff very slow but some AOE and some magic support,club single damage with healing magic support.

The design should also include mob resistances,so then you would choose your weapon type,example you might need Blunt damage for undead bone skeleton type foes,Dagger for killing birds or rabbits,Sword for fighting Tiger/Bear.
    I just get the feeling we might see a simple rehash of EQ with this added new what sounds like some sort of combo idea along with weather changes.

I would also like to not see them use the same "replacement" systems shout 1>shout 2 >shout 3 create some new ideas and not just rehash the same thing over and over.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Ever play a Redmage /Ninja in FFXI?I doubt any game has ever held a candle to the wind when compared to FFXI's class design.It all stems way back years ago to their  FF3.They even had the Geomancer all those years ago that sounds similar to what they are going to be doing with these so called environment dependencies.

Point being i have seen most every idea ever used in a game but how you implement it is what is important.If it becomes TOO simple,like nobody cares what weapon they are wielding or what type of enemy they are fighting,then it gets boring.

Basically put,i like to see "reasoning" behind ideas not just simple ideas,i like to see some depth in the systems so their might be 4/5/6 systems all related to that one choice.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:

I could have written this up. If your going to say look here is a new class, screens and video would be nice. Something to sink our teeth into. 
    Cool, so you knew all the information they provided about the cleric? The rest of us didn't. While it would be great to see everything, coding and designing all the assets to actually demonstrate it requires far more time.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited February 2016
    Wizardry said:
    Yes i always want to see "in action" videos of what we are discussing,you can't get a good idea without seeing.
    Skeptic,possibly,realist likely but i just see so much of the articles as nothing more than click baits.
    I feel this site has lost it's passion for gaming news and more interested in advertising or clicks.

Personally i don't like the notion we are just going to see another EQ with a different skin,even the Cleric is still plate armor,Blunt damage.

I don't like the notion of healers wearing plate and weapon damage should vary depending on what you are fighting.A healer for example should have piercing "Dagger" small dot,Sword Slashing more dmg more dot but slower so less defense,Staff very slow but some AOE and some magic support,club single damage with healing magic support.

The design should also include mob resistances,so then you would choose your weapon type,example you might need Blunt damage for undead bone skeleton type foes,Dagger for killing birds or rabbits,Sword for fighting Tiger/Bear.
    I just get the feeling we might see a simple rehash of EQ with this added new what sounds like some sort of combo idea along with weather changes.

I would also like to not see them use the same "replacement" systems shout 1>shout 2 >shout 3 create some new ideas and not just rehash the same thing over and over.

I know right?

Why can't cleric weapons be based on their deity?  For example, worship Zeus and wield a spear, Poseidon a trident, Hera a staff, Hades a whip, Apollo a bow....etc.  I like class systems, but sometimes developers can't look beyond the typical boring old class tropes.  Mages can't use swords?  Tell that to Gandalf.  Rogues are usually pidgeon-holed into daggers, but who would want to use a billy club or brass knuckles?  Countless B grade movies have shown that monks are as likely to use a sword or spear as their hands.  Druids won't use metal, but they can use a metal scimitar and not a longsword?

I'd like to see a little more imagination used when it comes to these kinds of class design tropes.

I don't think anyone wants to be pigeon-holed into a particular weapon type, but that is a great concept in general.

How about an innate proc on offensive or defensive abilities. Followers of Zeus get a chance to proc lightning, Poseidon a monsoon, Hades Brimstone, Apollo - rain of arrows. Or even defensive versions that proc off of a heal or a buff giving an temporary +10 lightning, fire, cold, or piercing resistance.

Now we are talking,,,yes some ideas,some THOUGHT, and all that make sense centering around Mythology.

Like i don't simply like change for sake of being different,as i often say it has to make sense,put some effort into your game.
    It doesn't need to end there either,perhaps weather affects them even more,so raining Poseidon/followers are stronger,Zeus during Thunder storms,Fire, light ,Dark,Earth and yes all resistances and mobs have certain resistances to both types of weapon damage and types of elemental damage.

I also remember that it never seemed to matter if say my Staff weapon skill was low,i still hit with consistency and dmg never seemed to matter.
    If i am weilding a Sword but have never used one in my entire life,it should have a skill level of 0,i should not be able ot hit anything with any consistency more than say a Rabbit or Bumble bee.Both dmg and accy should be affected by your skill with that weapon,then add in % depending who or what you worship.

I liked the old idea of worshiping gods but i don't like one time or one hour buffs,i like if we are going to do some quest to favor a god,the buff should last a full game day.Could be a nice way to tie crafting into the game as well,crafting Elemental property weapons and gear.

In all fairness, there is tons of innovation and thought in just the little we know about Pantheon. Frankly, they're already putting big studios to shame when it comes to innovation and variation on the traditional MMO and without the gimmicks thrown around by these other up and comers. Just a proven design foundation mixed with a slew of fresh ideas and improvements on the higher level systems and mechanics.

They just want to stay true to certain core principles that they feel have a more profound effect on gameplay. One of those is staying rooted in classic fantasy, its classes and their core roles. Most games that stray too far away from them have suffered when it came to enjoyable yet strategic combat and a natural interdependence between classes.

If you really think these things we're talking about sound neat, I suggest you go read up on the game, the tenets and features, the FAQ, and listen to the round table discussions from last year. The living codex, climate systems, class synergies and sympathetics - the game is really as next gen as you can hope to get while still staying true to the predecessors and what made those games so compelling to play (for longer than a month).

If I was to sum up Pantheon as concisely as possible, I'd do so by saying its an MMORPG once again created for adults. One with consequence and heavy focus on cooperative play rather than the low risk, high reward games for an individual to play alone at their leisure.