Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon have enough investors?

2»

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This is how I visualize a budget meeting at an independently developed fantasy rpg.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Kilsin said:
    Kilsin said:

You cannot predict what our staff will do as you don't work on the team and have no idea of how dedicated we are, what our financial positions are, what time we have spare to dedicate to this game and what our level of passion for the game being made is, so I respectfully disagree with your assumption ;)

I have no idea how much money you have, if you have a PH.D. in statistics or if you have a lucky rabbits foot but I can predict that you won't win the lottery.

There are long odds on any startup. The safe bet is on failure.  Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised. We will see.
    That's just it, I do know where we sit financially, I do know how far we are in development, I play the game, I am a part of the multiple weekly meetings, I know our forecast, milestones, goals, targets, I know we are hitting them all and on track to continue, which is why I can post such things and counter someone's opinion with actual experience and knowledge on the subject.

You also cannot predict with absolute certainty that I wouldn't win the lotto as there is a very small chance that it could happen, the odds are stacked against me, yes, but while there is still a slim chance and probability that I could win it, you cannot 100% rule it out and state that I couldn't, so while it may seem like a safe bet to take, it can just as easily go against you, so my advice would be to keep your money safe in your pocket and use it for a Pantheon sub when we release the game, whenever that may be ;)
    You're wasting your time responding to these guys.  They're professional pessimists.  It's what they do.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Obvious answer is no.So we will either have to accept a so so game or not accept the game at all,each person has to decide that for him/herself.

This is a really tough industry,at one time all the low budget operations stayed away because the cost and sub fee would not allow sub par efforts to have any chance at all.Now with KS's and free to play gimmicks those devs are now making games albeit very weak games.
    I don't feel like sitting down and figuring out every last detail in cost but i know with a fast guestimation,it is well over a 100 million to make a triple A game.

However there is a way,but takes a smart  "honest"developer and a trusting community.

You do it by not going too big,you have to accept that your budget might only allow 2-3 maps to start.Put a lot of detai land effort into those 2-3 maps and all is good.Just make sure to keep working on more content.If you are open and honest with the gamer's ,you should get the ongoing support,but you have to make that small bit of content look professional ...Triple A.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Wizardry said:
    Obvious answer is no.So we will either have to accept a so so game or not accept the game at all,each person has to decide that for him/herself.

This is a really tough industry,at one time all the low budget operations stayed away because the cost and sub fee would not allow sub par efforts to have any chance at all.Now with KS's and free to play gimmicks those devs are now making games albeit very weak games.
    I don't feel like sitting down and figuring out every last detail in cost but i know with a fast guestimation,it is well over a 100 million to make a triple A game.

However there is a way,but takes a smart  "honest"developer and a trusting community.

You do it by not going too big,you have to accept that your budget might only allow 2-3 maps to start.Put a lot of detai land effort into those 2-3 maps and all is good.Just make sure to keep working on more content.If you are open and honest with the gamer's ,you should get the ongoing support,but you have to make that small bit of content look professional ...Triple A.
    100 million for a triple A game with big budget marketing, filled with voice acting and a few months worth of solo content. When a game is designed around grouping and slower progression, leaving off the other superfluous parts of a bad design, a triple A quality MMO can be made for a fraction of that price. Especially when you aren't messing around trying to build your own engine.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Wizardry said:

Absolutely and this is where many teams go wrong.   Beware those who promise to fulfill all your dreams and give free puppies.  Kind of like PuppyMonkeybaby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql7uY36-LwA

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Slapshot1188 said:

Kind of like PuppyMonkeybaby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql7uY36-LwA

I'm still having nightmares about that. Imagine if it was Puppy Monkey baby SPIDER. *shivers*

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Amathe said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

Kind of like PuppyMonkeybaby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql7uY36-LwA

I'm still having nightmares about that. Imagine if it was Puppy Monkey baby SPIDER. *shivers*
    Agree That commercial was probably the most horrifying one I've ever seen in a Super Bowl

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Hrimnir said:
    You're wasting your time responding to these guys.  They're professional pessimists.  It's what they do.
    Coming from the resident professional fangirl we can safely take this comment with a grain of salt.
  • senadinsenadin Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Wizardry said:

EQ took 8 millions and 30 or so people....  Like some have mentionned, engine was a big chunk of dev time. So yeah they can be made. Arts/assets and character movement physics is probably your major money sink i would say. I think they have the folks to do it. As long as the purse strings are kept in check...

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Hrimnir said:
    Coming from the resident professional fangirl we can safely take this comment with a grain of salt.

Professional fangirl?  That's cute.  So, just to clarify, your assertion is that I'm a transgender fangirl who actually gets paid to fangirl?  Just wanna make sure we're on the same page.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• JigawattsJigawatts Member UncommonPosts: 48
    I backed the Kickstarter, and while I am somewhat reticent to do so again prior to launch, the MassivelyOP Pantheon interview from a few months ago really impressed me. I am definitely rooting for this game and cant wait to play it if/when it launches.
  • ConvoConvo Member UncommonPosts: 160
    edited February 2016
    They have options, even if they have limited resources.  There is always the option to polish/release say the first 20 levels then finish what's left.   Companies just need to get more creative with resources nowadays. 

Oh and lol to whoever mentioned Citadel of Sorcery.  That game is an actual scam.. The guy is claiming he has build this amazing game engine but can't manage to get funding.. If the engine was that good, he'd be able to sell it.. 
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Convo said:
    They have options, even if they have limited resources.  There is always the option to polish/release say the first 20 levels then finish what's left.   Companies just need to get more creative with resources nowadays. 

Oh and lol to whoever mentioned Citadel of Sorcery.  That game is an actual scam.. The guy is claiming he has build this amazing game engine but can't manage to get funding.. If the engine was that good, he'd be able to sell it.. 
    Citadel of Sorcery is another pie in the sky indie game. In their case, its a dynamic quest/content system that would require an absolute army of writers and coders to achieve.