Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ub3rgames Aiming to Bring Back Old School Fun

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageUb3rgames Aiming to Bring Back Old School Fun

This past week Ub3rgames has been successful in finalizing a contract for the rights to DarkFall. This hardcore MMO has been a fan favorite on the site for years. So, we thought to chat with Marc Thompson from Ub3rgames about some of the upcoming changes and features we will see. DarkFall New Dawn is set to re-launch the game and bring back some of the old school fun of the original. There are a lot of updates the team is working on as well. Let’s hear what Marc had to say.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I plan to only buy it if it has a personal server option

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    The skill and stat adjustments with diminishing returns will be the biggest help to getting DF to become the game that it was meant to be..

These changes are a must..

• Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537
    All of this just sounds absolutely fantastic...

I'm not going to visit the forums on a daily basis like I did back in the day though, just going to enjoy real life and Black Desert until this hits.

DF1's gameplay was the best I've ever had in any MMO, and the PvP with full loot was fantastic. I love all the plans Ub3rgames have, specifically the improvements to the economy and PvE aspects and giving players a reason not to simply slaughter anyone not from your guild.

Awesome, everything about this.

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• Hashcow101Hashcow101 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Never played the game but watched i closely over the years. If this company does right i might be on the switch.

"May Your Head Explode And Blood Swell From The Wound"
    - Hashcow

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    edited February 2016
    As long as full loot and open pvp are the games staples it will only be as big as it was before at best if that. The game will always be a " gankbox " with those in place. Their watchtower idea makes no sense either. That just promotes larger guilds that will pillage and pillage and pillage smaller guilds until they disband and join a large guild or move on completely.

They are making many of the same mistakes with a different candy shell. At least they are doing something about the skills system.

I am still unsure where Ub3ergames came from.. Are we sure no one there has any affiliation at all with Aventurine?
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Adam1902 said:

I'm not going to visit the forums on a daily basis like I did back in the day though, just going to enjoy real life and Black Desert until this hits.

DF1's gameplay was the best I've ever had in any MMO, and the PvP with full loot was fantastic. I love all the plans Ub3rgames have, specifically the improvements to the economy and PvE aspects and giving players a reason not to simply slaughter anyone not from your guild.

You are one of the few that liked it then.  Even with the announced changes it won't do much for the game, maybe push it into a mediocre category instead of poor.   Even the upcoming indie pvp games will be much better
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    I'd love to see more of an effort to make the PvE/World relevant and alive. If everything in the world seems designed to be a player vs. player battlefield, you just have a MOBA... and MOBAs are always going to be better at being MOBAs. MMORPGs are at their best when they're immersive experiences.

Just focus on filling up the world with awesome environments, exploration and monsters without a mind for how it impacts PvP... and players will find a way to kill each other over them all.
  • SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    edited February 2016

SlyLoK said:

As long as full loot and open pvp are the games staples it will only be as big as it was before at best if that. The game will always be a " gankbox " with those in place. Their watchtower idea makes no sense either. That just promotes larger guilds that will pillage and pillage and pillage smaller guilds until they disband and join a large guild or move on completely.

They are making many of the same mistakes with a different candy shell. At least they are doing something about the skills system.

I am still unsure where Ub3ergames came from.. Are we sure no one there has any affiliation at all with Aventurine?

Not sure if you have played darkfall or the crappy UW version...but there are these things called alliances, see you would join one if the above happens to you're smaller clan, in order to survive while you grow.

Some of the best clans in Darkfall were the smaller tight knit ones, I have been a part of and watched small guilds of 15-20 win sieges vs Clans/alliances of 40-50 players.

This game coming back is great news, since Darkfall 1.0 I have not played anything that kept me interested beyond 2 months.

However this is a game that frustrates many and like you said many will walk away, but if you stick with it...get used to how pvp and team work applies to the game...then you will have a ton of fun.

BTW This company better do something about the one thing many have been forgetting...hackers, they need to do something about players like Jet Boom and crew or this revival will be a failure. IMO preventing that group of players and I am sure the owners of the license know who I am talking about...those people need to be addressed during the beta.
  • Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537

Ozmodan said:

Adam1902 said:

You are one of the few that liked it then.  Even with the announced changes it won't do much for the game, maybe push it into a mediocre category instead of poor.   Even the upcoming indie pvp games will be much better

From this I have to assume that you either never played the original or you're just bad at games, and don't like punishments for losses, and rewards for winning.

The upcoming indie PvP games... Can you please name these "upcoming indie PvP games" for me, because it just sounds like you pulled that little nugget out your arse.

SlyLoK said:

The watchtower system will enable guilds to tax mob locations. If the taxes can be put high enough to make it worthwhile, it could give them a reason to defend outsiders farming the mobs from gankers via the watchtower.

Obviously systems will need to be put in place which makes people not want to simply slaughter anyone not in their guild.

If original DFO can be structured more like EVE... With a real economy with different types of localised resources (the original already offered this to an extent, no where near the depth of EVE ofc), and good PvE with original Darkfall's epic gameplay and full loot PvP environment then it could be pretty successful. I'd play it anyway, so would thousands of others.

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• docfyredocfyre Member UncommonPosts: 6

SlyLoK said:

I'm not sure full loot and open world pvp are as awful as you seem to believe they are.
    I believe they said somewhere that the game is about alliance and empire building and that those are tools to help make it work.

Not sure what they exactly mean by that and I can't remember exactly where I read it, but in a fashion it makes sense: it is one of the best way to have an attrition factor in wars.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

Adam1902 said:

Ozmodan said:

Adam1902 said:

From this I have to assume that you either never played the original or you're just bad at games, and don't like punishments for losses, and rewards for winning.

The upcoming indie PvP games... Can you please name these "upcoming indie PvP games" for me, because it just sounds like you pulled that little nugget out your arse.

SlyLoK said:

The watchtower system will enable guilds to tax mob locations. If the taxes can be put high enough to make it worthwhile, it could give them a reason to defend outsiders farming the mobs from gankers via the watchtower.

Obviously systems will need to be put in place which makes people not want to simply slaughter anyone not in their guild.

If original DFO can be structured more like EVE... With a real economy with different types of localised resources (the original already offered this to an extent, no where near the depth of EVE ofc), and good PvE with original Darkfall's epic gameplay and full loot PvP environment then it could be pretty successful. I'd play it anyway, so would thousands of others.

im glad i am not the only one who sees the DFND vision as more eve-like, which is a positive.
    cant wait for it. i think people will be surprised at the success it will have.

my eve alliance will suffer... people already talking about it.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• PsyckedPsycked Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Annnd looks like nobody in here realizes there are two separate indy companies remaking DF1.

I am the Cannon Fodder God

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Psycked said:

Annnd looks like nobody in here realizes there are two separate indy companies remaking DF1.

Other group has not signed yet.
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    I have high hopes for this project.. I miss DFO. I enjoyed DFUW and ran one of the biggest clans on EU, but something wasn't right compared to DFO. I do miss the racial cities. The map in general. The holdings in general. This might be something..

The added ideas do sound very interesting too. Especially the one regarding regulation of the income for clans with a holding. Really nice!
  • kdchankdchan Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited February 2016
    Fantastic interview, expecially the last 3 point were features heavy requested but never implemented cause Aventurine bad management.
    I like a lot the fact that this game will be P2P at a cheap price, i really hate the last trend of F2P/B2P games with crash shop, they ended up pay to win no matter what, because the revenue come from the shop, while in a P2P game everyone is the same, everyone have access to the same identical content. A risky choice but the best for sandbox mmorpg.

The title system as an alternative to a hard skill cap is a must, who played the game know how hard and insane the grind was to raise all these skills, macroing afk 24/7. Now finally thanks to this title system and the new offline meditation system we have a sorta of cap where people can choose their preferred playstyle and be good only on this in a fast way thanks to diminishing returns like in EVE.

There also will be dedicated crafters, because they forget to mention that the masteries and trueforge (aka durability) are locked, and only if you specialize you can make good gear with a high durability and stats. This will improve the economy, the trading between players, along with local banking and local market places and return a profit for full time crafters.

You guys are right, Darkfall will be EVE in a fantasy medieval world, where pvp, pve and crafting will be equally distributed, so even "carebears" can have fun thanks to the new content added for them and the new watchtower system.
    No more ganks and kill on sign everything, now you have a purpose to stay blue, and help same race new players to kill bandyts and other faction enemies that will invade your lands.

This is absilutely marvelous! Can't way to play Darkfall again with all these tweaks and additions. The mmorpg genre is in a very bad state of stagnation in these last years with all these wow clones and korean grindfest, finally we can play again a true and full sandbox mmorpg in a fantasy setting like UO with an EVE concept.

The nextgen sandbox
    Crowfall - LiF: MMO - Darkfall: New Dawn
  • OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Psycked said:

It would be ridiculous for Aventurine to sign off two companies to remake Darkfall, it would split the communities and probably just ensure that both end up insolvent.

• kdchankdchan Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited February 2016

It would be ridiculous for Aventurine to sign off two companies to remake Darkfall, it would split the communities and probably just ensure that both end up insolvent.

There will be 2 visions of the same game, so yes the license is double and the community will be splitted but is not a bad thing as you think.
    Because these 2 visions will be completely different and almost the opposite of each other:
    - Rise of Agon more vanilla, based mainly on pvp and the old mechanics (no skill cap, fast traveling, global banks, meaningless alignment, etc..),
    - New Dawn will be tweaked and changed in the meta from a pvp arena to a full sandbox mmorpg like EVE on "steroids" (title system as a skill cap, dimishing return on skills, offline double slot training, player driven economy with local markets, local banking and no fast traveling, daily and weekly quest as alternative methid to skill up and gain meditation points, watchtowers and racial wars, discouraging ganking of same faction players, pve, pvp and crafting content balanced across different playstyles, full dedicated crafters, caravans, affordable ships with local bank, etc...).

So the old niche playerbase more pvp addicted will probably stick with Roa while some of the old players and new players (expecially UO and EVE players) can find in DnD a new fantasy sandbox mmorpg and a new home.

The nextgen sandbox
    Crowfall - LiF: MMO - Darkfall: New Dawn
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    They need to make it so, just what's in your pack is lootable if you killed in PVP, but your weapons and armor you have equipped is not lootable, just takes wear & tear damage. This will help in making sure you're not just resource collecting all the time, and more time PVPing or PVEing.

Make only the top weapons and armor lootable, since by the time you can afford to sustain and wear good stuff you're pretty experienced not to die so quickly and established enough to take the looting hits, but always have something to fall back to get into the action so you're not stuck hitting rocks.
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Thupli said:

Psycked said:

Other group has not signed yet.

Would be better if both company joined to gether to make one game imo though :P get it out faster and no competition and the other company wont have to pay for another licensing cospy or what not. Rather have 1 populated game than 2 half populated ones :p
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    At least they will try, I doubt they will have the insight to fix all the problems, but at least they try.
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Omali said:

Psycked said:

Depends on how Aventurine doing the licensing shit they may be just selling the license for large amount and not getting anything else out of it then they wont relay care how the game goes after that point.
  • KotsolisKotsolis Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Great interview, great effort from those guys!

I used to play the original Darkfall for the 2nd month till servers closed. There is no other MMORPG that kept me for so long. The reason is simple. Darkfall has a real-time combat system, full PvP, full loot and Sieges. All those details that a skilled player wants. I'm bored of those "Action wannabe" MMOs with the tab targetting combat system. Tab targetting? Really? It's like having dozens of clones popping up and on the other hand MMOs like Darkfall or Fallen Earth, which had their issues, have something different to offer indeed. Especially Darkfall with those massive sieges.

Most of the development announcements are positive for me.The watchtower implementation is nice, the title system looks promising, the only thing that bothers me is the skill decay in PvP which I hope that they will reconsider in the future. Finally, Ub3rgames signed the contract with AV in no time. It took them only 3,5 months. The other indie game dev is still...working on the contracts. What I want to say is that Ub3rgames act fast, they have good communicatia via ther Forum and their schedule goes nice. All we wanted to see atm is some social media activity, like screenshots, pictures from offices, some work in progress in general.

The starting fee of 20€ for 2 months is ok. But as about the monthly subscription, having ex. an early access of 10€/month and 15€/month later on is no good. This was one of AV's mistakes. You might have a mature target group but you live in 2016 where the free-to-play model is the king and not all countries are rich. Only Blizzard has survived subscriptions.

So If subscription is 9,99€/month then shut up and take my money, and give me some 3-month, 6-month and 12-month offers, among wth letting me invite some friends for a 24hour Steam trial. Otherwise Iam out. I won't play a 2012 revamped game for that much.
  • TerratrixxTerratrixx Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Best game ever made, but i just don't think the gaming community of today has enough real gamers to populate one server let alone two,

In this post you can already see a few of the guys that make up the majority of the current MMO playerbase, they dont want skill based pvp, they dont want full loot adrenaline filled battle, they dont want real hatred filled rivalries with other alliances and epic seiges.

They want straight forward everyone is a hero, im still special if i play 1 hour a day, i should be as good as a guy whos trains 10 hours a day , i kill a big boss and get shiny loot.

Unless some miracle happens and the softcore gamer grows some balls im pretty sure this will fail, but im hoping it doesnt because my god i want dfo back.

GL Ub3rgames / BPG
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    SEANMCAD said:
    I plan to only buy it if it has a personal server option
    You know i never gave that idea any thought but sounds like a great ideal for any and every game.Problem is that it does dilute the community,games servers need to feel populated/full.One of DF's biggest problems was a large world that looked and felt empty.

I am not about to write a book on what changes should be implemented as well as additions,i'll just wait and see what happens.Obviously "emptiness" "cheating" are two major concerns that need to be addressed.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.