Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay, what's going on with the Repopulation?

General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
Is somebody playing with the hype meter?

Comments

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    What's going on. They finally decided to wake up to the fact that the hero engine sucks donkey balls and are re-writing the whole thing on the Unreal engine instead. Time consuming but worth it in the long run.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    They were forced into the change,as far as hype meter goes,i never pay attention to hype meters,they mean nothing to me.
    If i was in charge of this game,i would make changes not just the engine,several changes to be exact,like weapons,how they work,the game world,upgrades,longevity designs etc etc.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    What's up with the hype meter anyway, Zod?
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    I've tried the alpha for the 100+ bucks I put into it.. I got severely disappointed tbh. It has a FAR way to go.
  • SanisarSanisar Member UncommonPosts: 135
    I really wish companies would stop giving away (selling) alpha access under any circumstances.  Almost no game is close to enjoyable in alpha, and people who paid to be in an alpha expect way too much.  

Entire systems can be overhauled or scrapped in alpha and many aren't even implemented yet.  They usually aren't using the final visual assets.  Things like lighting may not be implemented.  Balance probably hasn't even been thought about.  Nothing has been optimized. Etc etc.

If you want to play a game with the expectation of enjoyment don't play alphas.  Alphas are for people who want to do unpaid testing and give feedback to hopefully make the final product better.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Basically, we are now almost back at the beginning.

Hype meter gets changed a lot when you again look at 2-3 years more of development

I've tried the alpha for the 100+ bucks I put into it.. I got severely disappointed tbh. It has a FAR way to go.
    It HAD a far way, yeah, but now they're starting again with a new engine, so. Besides design and art (and story, I guess) the rest is being redone from the ground up, pretty much.

You also have to distinguish between paying $100 for an early alpha (that would be questionable) vs. spending $100 to support a project you believe and be rewarded with early access and a dev's ear to help shape up the game.
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    edited February 2016
    What's going on. They finally decided to wake up to the fact that the hero engine sucks donkey balls and are re-writing the whole thing on the Unreal engine instead. Time consuming but worth it in the long run.
    Unreal is a great engine, but not great for MMO's...... UDK was even worse...Look at Mortal Online, what a mess...and it was made with UDK, then to Unreal 4.... So Unreal yes can make some great games, but not great for open world MMO's at all...That is why Hero was used, because it was a great MMO engine and the price for indies was right... So before you bash understand how games are made....    Also heavy on performance and lighting issues, that they will fight with being not that experienced..... I use it professionally and Unreal can be a pain ... So with an indie company oh they are going to suffer to..Because Repopulation will NOT pay real developers to help them.,.... They pay mainly people who game for a living...Now the few main developers have  backend  experience and I believe networking, but I know they lack when it comes to the actually development aspect and listen to someone who never made a game in there life....  In Hero there UI was a mess...and they never would listen to anyone that does it for a living... So once they stop with that nonsense and hire some real developers to help them, just maybe they would have a chance... That is my 2 cents.
  • April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Unreal is a great engine, but not great for MMO's...... UDK was even worse...Look at Mortal Online, what a mess...and it was made with UDK, then to Unreal 4.... So Unreal yes can make some great games, but not great for open world MMO's at all...That is why Hero was used, because it was a great MMO engine and the price for indies was right... So before you bash understand how games are made....    Also heavy on performance and lighting issues, that they will fight with being not that experienced..... I use it professionally and Unreal can be a pain ... So with an indie company oh they are going to suffer to..Because Repopulation will NOT pay real developers to help them.,.... They pay mainly people who game for a living...Now the few main developers have  backend  experience and I believe networking, but I know they lack when it comes to the actually development aspect and listen to someone who never made a game in there life....  In Hero there UI was a mess...and they never would listen to anyone that does it for a living... So once they stop with that nonsense and hire some real developers to help them, just maybe they would have a chance... That is my 2 cents.
    I agree, hero engine is pretty good and the set up seemed perfect for indies, 2 major mmo's use it so it cant be that bad, only issue is the company was run by a bunch of morons.

I hope the repop pull it off, would be sad to see it turn into a fail

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    This sucks, but I'm kinda thinking this game would take another 3 years to develop. People will lose interest and it will eventually just get tossed in the bin with other canceled games; unless some other company with more experience picks it up. I've been playing and watching MMO's for 17 years and the writing is on the wall in my opinion with this one. Sad because this is one game I have been watching for years now.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I've written this one off. I have stopped reading up or trying to follow this one. Mehh, who knows, maybe someday I'll say "Oh, they actually did it!" but I seriously doubt it.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    It's dead, Jim.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Some managed to make some decent MMO's with unreal engine: Tera and Blade & Soul.
    Seems many already have forgotten Fragmented:
    https://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/news/275#fragmented

edited April 2016
    I've written this one off. I have stopped reading up or trying to follow this one. Mehh, who knows, maybe someday I'll say "Oh, they actually did it!" but I seriously doubt it.
    Well, no, not at the moment you wrote this, I think, because you were on a forum related to the game ;)

That being said, the skepticism and disgruntlement are very well understandable. Because of the circumstances, ABT couldn't continue delivering their product last fall. No one wanted that.

Now while some of the things that happened in the past were not within ABT's control, some things today are. We believe, in these circumstances, that ABT is doing all it can right now to deliver a solid, interesting gameplay option to its customers, while helping to build back what has been lost with a new version of The Repopulation.

Come help us build that starting with Fragmented; keep an eye out on your news ticker for that name ;)
  • jozephjozeph Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Sanisar said:
    I really wish companies would stop giving away (selling) alpha access under any circumstances.  Almost no game is close to enjoyable in alpha, and people who paid to be in an alpha expect way too much. 
    I backed the kickstarter campaign, because i think think this game should be made. Without people supporting the devs, this game would never be made. Having access to alpha, you can see the game grow, so you know what they are doing with your money.
    jozeph said:
    Sanisar said:
    I backed the kickstarter campaign, because i think think this game should be made. Without people supporting the devs, this game would never be made. Having access to alpha, you can see the game grow, so you know what they are doing with your money.
    Thank you, Jozeph.
    Well, no, not at the moment you wrote this, I think, because you were on a forum related to the game ;)

That being said, the skepticism and disgruntlement are very well understandable. Because of the circumstances, ABT couldn't continue delivering their product last fall. No one wanted that.

Now while some of the things that happened in the past were not within ABT's control, some things today are. We believe, in these circumstances, that ABT is doing all it can right now to deliver a solid, interesting gameplay option to its customers, while helping to build back what has been lost with a new version of The Repopulation.

Come help us build that starting with Fragmented; keep an eye out on your news ticker for that name ;)
    Assuming ABT is able to deliever a game.......... What exactly is this game that ABT is going to deliver? As I understand, it's gone from a classic sandbox style MMORPG to a shooter. If that's the case, Nahh, not interested.
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Sanisar said:
    You are right about people expecting too much from an alpha, but without doing so these projects would never exist in the first place. 
    I believe crowdfunding is amazing at almost everything but god awful when comes to MMO development. I'm sure it will evolve soon since there will be a wave of success/failure stories in '16-'17 and future campaigns can learn from them. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It will never have anything to do with learning,developers do what they can afford and nothing more.Same goes for game design,they do what they can afford,it is never about what WOULD or MIGHT be great it is about $$$$ each and every time.

This game is a lower budget game,so you should expect it to come out as such and expect nothing more.As mentioned "shooters" i am in the same boat,it is just boring to me to see all these games with a handgun a minigun and a rifle i have no interest in that either.
    There is only so much you can do with a gun and it allows a dev to do less work in design.A gun has an icon for the ammo "maybe"you might see a couple attachments "maybe" and the animation is maybe some smoke and usually just some boring bland line that shoots across the screen.

When you see what the new Quake is doing that is what games need to do with animations and damage effects,it really brings the combat to life as well you can get better sounds than the typical pew pew from guns.

I also have no interest nor do i feel any excitement seeing the typical combat we see which is SPAM and standing right in front of each other.I want to see combat in a strategic way not in a dumbass way that i would never do in real life.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• jozephjozeph Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Assuming ABT is able to deliever a game.......... What exactly is this game that ABT is going to deliver? As I understand, it's gone from a classic sandbox style MMORPG to a shooter. If that's the case, Nahh, not interested.
    That's only a stepping stone. They will make a survival game with assets from the game, to earn some money. The survival game is a basic version of the future MMORPG. They are still working on the MMORPG.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    games are becoming just like movies,they just push out crap to put their dumb satanic signs in.

We will be delivering the sandbox MMORPG that was the vision and dream of the dev team and their backers. The issue with the game engine and servers were a huge setback, litterally tens of thousands of hours of development went down the drain, pretty much. But they're taking the experience and knowledge, and rebuilding something even better in UE4.

And yeah, that takes time. So meanwhile, instead of having the backers and everyone wait several more months/years to get them something to play, test and help develop, they're rolling out a sci-fi survival game that will be the base of what is the new version of The Repopulation.

We will be delivering the sandbox MMORPG that was the vision and dream of the dev team and their backers. The issue with the game engine and servers were a huge setback, litterally tens of thousands of hours of development went down the drain, pretty much. But they're taking the experience and knowledge, and rebuilding something even better in UE4.

And yeah, that takes time. So meanwhile, instead of having the backers and everyone wait several more months/years to get them something to play, test and help develop, they're rolling out a sci-fi survival game that will be the base of what is the new version of The Repopulation.
    We've already been through this in the previous thread. They said they weren't going to release the original version of the game. It was you and I in this very argument where I posted exactly where they said that, and you came back and admitted "it could be confusing" and posted something that was also confusing. But the only thing is........What I read on their site.....It wasn't confusing. That link is still up on Repop's site. If that wording is incorrect or misleading, I suggest they have it corrected and let people know that there is still the intention of releasing a sandbox MMORPG. 

Otherwise, people might get the idea that some SWG spiritual successor is somewhere in the works.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Proving again that crowdfunding and MMOs do not mix.

SPGs, fine. Other kinds of games, why not?

MMORPGs, no: the timeline to get anything decent is too long, and the amount of money required to get a good result is too much.

Crowdfunding is a tool, and not every tool is right for every job.