Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Searching pretty old game. Veterans help !

ReskalReskal Member UncommonPosts: 57
Hey all,

around  15 years ago i played a game a while, it was pretty interesting and fun but then i was distracted by other things and lost focus on it.
In the last time i seem to have problems to find games that really attract me and keep me playing them longer then a week, so i return to the good old times and looking back to games like Anarchy Online, Ashen Empires, EVE Online, DAoC and others.
The one i look for was pretty uncommon, it played on a distant planet, i don't remember very much unfortunately. The graphics was surrealistic, the download size was around 400 mb(which took me the whole night to download via ISDN). The community was mostly USA, and its name was something like "M........", it started with a M, pretty sure. There were not much buildings and it was all about hunting down things.
Don't know if it had pvp-mode, i think so but i played only pve.

Sorry if i cannot tell you more, the most thing i remember very good is the fun i had and this is what really doesn't help for the description ;)

Comments

• SanisarSanisar Member UncommonPosts: 135
    How long ago was this?  Was it polygons or sprites?  3D or isometric?  Was it for sure an MMORPG?  Anything else you can remember?

The first thing that comes to mind is Xyson, but I didn't play it very much.  I'm not sure I remember any MMOs that were that small of a download past the UO era.

Anything else you could remember would help us figure it out.  Somebody here will remember it for sure.
  • Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280
    The only thing I can think of is Meriden , I don't think that is what the OP is talking about.
  • ReskalReskal Member UncommonPosts: 57
    I think the game  was polygons already, but they were an early thing at this time. It was 3d also. Pretty sure it was a mmorpg , there were guilds, not sure if the name for those bands was something else. I have pictures of an area like steppe / rocky desert in my mind, with strange stony sculptures..looked very alien-like scenary and the whole game was that strange and alien anyhow, it was something new and uncommon anyhow.

I googled for "Meriden" but only found a little town. Did you mean Meridian eventually ? This was another one, sry.
  • Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Reskal said:
    I think the game  was polygons already, but they were an early thing at this time. It was 3d also. Pretty sure it was a mmorpg , there were guilds, not sure if the name for those bands was something else. I have pictures of an area like steppe / rocky desert in my mind, with strange stony sculptures..looked very alien-like scenary and the whole game was that strange and alien anyhow, it was something new and uncommon anyhow.

I googled for "Meriden" but only found a little town. Did you mean Meridian eventually ? This was another one, sry.
    meridian 59, again it might not be it base on what you are saying.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Alien type game,small 400mb D/l does not ring a bell.

geesh FFXI back in 2002 was an 8gb D/L so 400 mb is really small.

One thing you did not mention was it a MMO

I ask because MighNmagic or even Wizardry is alien themed or as mentioned Anrachy online but at 400 mb idk.
    Horizons was semi popular but not alien like and still likely more than 400mb.

Asheron's call,Entropia,MU Online, still need to know if a mmo 400mb geesh that is small,has to be pre 2000.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SanisarSanisar Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Hmm, the game I was thinking of was Ryzom, not Xyson (easy mistake amirite).  Not sure if that's it either, just throwing it out there.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited February 2016
    Sanisar said:
    Hmm, the game I was thinking of was Ryzom, not Xyson (easy mistake amirite).  Not sure if that's it either, just throwing it out there.
    That was the first thing that came to mind for me (Saga of Ryzom), especially if it was really long ago as there wasn't much to the game at that point it still was interesting though.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited February 2016
    A mmo it was for sure, many other people were running around also. I know, i find 400 mb is really small, hard to imagine.
    What can be is, that it shut down a while later and never made it over the beta, i remember i downloaded it as a very new game.

Horizons i remember very well, loved it also, i think it was after the game i look for.

I looked several times in the last years for it but found nothing, seems its disappeared in the desert of times long ago.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Reskal said:
    A mmo it was for sure, many other people were running around also. I know, i find 400 mb is really small, hard to imagine.
    What can be is, that it shut down a while later and never made it over the beta, i remember i downloaded it as a very new game.

Horizons i remember very well, loved it also, i think it was after the game i look for.

I looked several times in the last years for it but found nothing, seems its disappeared in the desert of times long ago.
    Did it look like this?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• kayidokayido Member UncommonPosts: 8
    edited February 2016
    Maybe The legend of Mir ?

OR Mimesis Online

Reskal
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Maybe Terra:battle for the Outlands? Or Runescape? Entropia Universe? Even Asheron's Call 2 came out in that time frame.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    Anarchy Online?

httpsriknasrantsfileswordpresscom201206anarchyonline1jpg

Once upon a time....

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Cherish those memories because you can never go back... 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Meridian 59 might be the only M game at the time and 400 meg sounds realistic but the game was already old in 2002, I played it 1996.

• Billr00Billr00 Member UncommonPosts: 135
    wasn't Face of Mankind .. was it?
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2016
    Was it Chronicles of Spellborn?
    http://www.gametech.ru/sadm_images/00jin/october2008/20/screens/spell/TheChroniclesOfSpellborn_0243.jpg

maybe thats not old enough.

EDIT: oh so it starts with M? mmmmh let me look for some M games that shut down.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2016
    Neocron? lol idk Tales in the desert? There are thousands of games in this rpg genre,need more to go on.
    Using guns or swords or laser weapons?

Meridian does start with an M lol .

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2016
    Myth War, Mir 2 (legend of mir), Matrix Online, MU Rebirth, Mech Quest, Magic World Online, Myth Online, I think Myst Online (although it re-open later on), Mythica, Multiplayer Battletech 3025

Thats some shut down mmos that start with M

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    You sure it was an MMO? For some reason, reading your descriptions reminds me of Morrowind. Maybe the guilds you mean are the typical warrior/mage/assassin/etc ones you join in game. Alien/Distant world seems vague but Morrowind definitely seemed like it could pass for a murkey distant planet with all its weird creatures running around. And if you didnt play it long you probably didnt see much of the larger cities /shrug

Sorry for the long absence from this thread, was sleeping and that.

The winner is: KAYIDO ! Mimesis it was ! <3

Most of the other games you mentioned i loved also. Better times and better games anyhow... but Mimesis drag me in a special way, sorry that i found nearly nothing anymore about it in the web.
    On the other hand: after 15 years spoiled by graphics and engines some old sweet memories should be R.I.P ;)

But thanks all for the efforts to help, you gave me hints to check back to some games ! :)
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This thread was brought to you by the letter "M." 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SyanisSyanis Member UncommonPosts: 140
    All I can think of is Meridian 59 also which was my first mmorpg. I don't remember much on it thou but your details are seriously lacking but I believe it was on an alien traveler type of setting. But probably like others have said not what you were looking for. But also at that time (15 years ago) the mmorpg list was very small compared to now.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Syanis said:
    All I can think of is Meridian 59 also which was my first mmorpg. I don't remember much on it thou but your details are seriously lacking but I believe it was on an alien traveler type of setting. But probably like others have said not what you were looking for. But also at that time (15 years ago) the mmorpg list was very small compared to now.
    OP already replied and said that the game he was looking for is Mimesis.