Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs vs Survival Games?

flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
Hey, i was wondering what is the big differences between Survival Games and MMOs?  I have never played a survival game ever but with the info of Conan Exiles it has me super intrigued but i literally know nothing about Survival games.  So if anybody could give a little info on the differences between MMOs and Survival games it would be appreciated.  Thanks

Comments

• khanstructkhanstruct Member UncommonPosts: 756
    They aren't mutually exclusive.

There are MMOs that are also survival games. A survival game just means (normally) that you play a character battling the elements, seeking out the necessities to survive.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited February 2016
    I tend to believe that survival games are MMOs, so long as the server/map supports at least 200 players. However survival MMOs aren't normally RPGs so they wouldn't be a MMORPG.

Survival games focus on crafting, player killing, eating, drinking, finding food, building shelter/forts, stockpiling ammo/weapons. Usually more open-world. (H1z1, Ark, 7 Days to Die, Rust, DayZ)

MMORPGs (MMOs for short) focus on quests/story progression, player levels and leveling, acquiring gear through means of running Instanced dungeons (scripted, player vs monster, AI events). These games usually include different races, classes, builds, etc. Instanced Player vs Player scenarios and a SciFi or Fantasy Universe. (WoW, Guild Wars 2, Elder Scrolls Online, Final Fantasy XIV, Rift, Star Wars: TOR)
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    JDis25 said:
    I tend to believe that survival games are MMOs, so long as the server/map supports at least 200 players. However survival MMOs aren't normally RPGs so they wouldn't be a MMORPG.

Survival games focus on crafting, player killing, eating, drinking, finding food, building shelter/forts, stockpiling ammo/weapons. Usually more open-world. (H1z1, Ark, 7 Days to Die, Rust, DayZ)

MMORPGs (MMOs for short) focus on quests/story progression, player levels and leveling, acquiring gear through means of running Instanced dungeons (scripted, player vs monster, AI events). These games usually include different races, classes, builds, etc. Instanced Player vs Player scenarios and a SciFi or Fantasy Universe. (WoW, Guild Wars 2, Elder Scrolls Online, Final Fantasy XIV, Rift, Star Wars: TOR)
    Great breakdown, I agree.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Thanks Guys, yeah i have played MMOs for many years just wasnt sure what all the recent hype was about Survival Games.  Do they ever have dungeons or raids or not really?  I know PVP is in them.  
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Survival game have it end while MMO don't .

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    iixviiiix said:

Wait, So Survival games have an ending?  They arent ongoing like MMOs are?
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    flguy147 said:
    iixviiiix said:

No...

Survival games are brand new genre. Most of them , actually all of them are in early access. This is why many of them didnt quite figured "endgame" yet.

Also since its not a static world like in MMO, every new game is completely new experience.
    So some servers decide to reset every few months, reshuffle the power balance. Because some groups get so powerful they are not challenged by anything anymore.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    One big problem with this comparison is, you are comparing a genre vs a description. MMO only means massively multiplayer online. It does not refer to the type of game it is. It could be an MMORPG, MMOFPS, MMOSurvival game....

So you are basically asking: Whats the difference between a game with thousands of players playing together in one shared experience vs a survival game?

Really, quite an odd question.

JDis25 said:

MMO is not short for MMORPG.

MMO's have nothing to do with dungeons, AI, classes, instances, open world or any of that. All it has to do with is how many people are playing together. You could have an MMO game of dodgeball.... no dungeons, instances, scripted anything.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited February 2016
    madazz said:
    One big problem with this comparison is, you are comparing a genre vs a description. MMO only means massively multiplayer online. It does not refer to the type of game it is. It could be an MMORPG, MMOFPS, MMOSurvival game....

So you are basically asking: Whats the difference between a game with thousands of players playing together in one shared experience vs a survival game?

I took the question to be more along game-play lines, as in what is the focus of survival games, do they play like MMORPGs?.. leveling, crafting, dungeons, grouping etc... Which really has nothing to do with how many you can do those things with. Doesn't seem so odd to ask to me..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:
    madazz said:

I took the question to be more along game-play lines, as in what is the focus of survival games, do they play like MMORPGs?.. leveling, crafting, dungeons, grouping etc... Which really has nothing to do with how many you can do those things with. Doesn't seem so odd to ask to me..
    MMO does not stand for MMORPG. It needs to be corrected. People are already confused with what MMO stands for. Many people incorrectly state it has something to do with persistence, levels, grouping, crafting... people are calling games like World of Tanks and Warframe MMO's, which they aren't. People need to understand that when you say "MMO" you are talking about a ton of people playing together. NOT a genre. If you want to ask about MMORPG's... you ask about an MMORPG.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Survival games are basically shallow games with VERY few survival ideas.Example you will need food/drink to  survive.
    You can almost always build some cheap log cabin/fort with square walls and a small set of crafting recipes,like food/drink ammo etc etc.
    The good news is you won't or are not likely to see any yellow markers over npc heads like you do in mmorpg's.However give Blizzard some time,i am sure they could ruin or set back another genre about 20 years.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    flguy147 said:
    iixviiiix said:

You expect survival game that don't end when you dead ?
    Even if you start "new game" as new character , the old character "dead" end still here .

Also , what point to survival if you don't "dead" ?
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Survival games have now basically become RPGs with decay. Theyre games that are in a persistent world (many if not all also have a single player/local option also) The definition of 'massively' can be debated because most people dont realize how limited the first generation of MMOs were in terms of how many people there actually were in an area of the game.

Lotro in fact was one of the first to allow massive numbers of people in the same area. Ettenmoors fights used ot have upwards of 3 to 4 hundred people in one area of the instance, thats why it crashed and lagged so bad. So even though many people thought "its only a few hundred people' it was a massive number. Even Warhammer couldnt handle that many. Yes there were a lot of people in those lower tier battles but how many of them didnt crash the server?

These games just got realistic with the amout of people that could actually be supported and not crash. Yeah its 10 years later there should be the tech to allow for a few thousand people in an area, but apparently there isnt. Or if there is it is probably too expensive to utilize.

Most of them have around a 64 person limit. Which seems very small, but when each person is allowed to transform the world in their own way 64 might be too many. Take a game like LiF you can literally (used correctly) reshape the whole game world. While ARK allows building of massive compounds and bases and has dinosaurs LiF takes the compound and base building and adds the ability to reshape where you are not rely on mods that ignore collision points to put things where you want.

These guys really did themselves a disservice by labeling themselves as 'survival' they should have found a new word. Because there really is no fear of survival beyond a little bit of decay of a hunger or thirst bar and from the typical attacks one wil face in any online game with dangerous players or NPCs. 

Theyre basically the same game as every other game excepts stuff you own and a players health decays over time.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    UO practically invented the survival MMO (and MUDs before it). Then it died until DayZ gave it a rez. IMHO all MMOs would benefit from a few more survival circumstances.
    Aren't survival games most about, you know, survival?

Wasn't UO not about that at all?

If anything I'd think the precursor to survival games was Nethack (and MUDs/UO generally weren't very similar to Nethack.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Zen00Zen00 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    flguy147 said:
    Hey, i was wondering what is the big differences between Survival Games and MMOs?  I have never played a survival game ever but with the info of Conan Exiles it has me super intrigued but i literally know nothing about Survival games.  So if anybody could give a little info on the differences between MMOs and Survival games it would be appreciated.  Thanks
    Survival games generally put a larger emphasis on crafting and free form building IME, with the multi-player experience existing to help you build a bigger base and fight other groups.
  • khanstructkhanstruct Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Axehilt said:
    UO practically invented the survival MMO (and MUDs before it). Then it died until DayZ gave it a rez. IMHO all MMOs would benefit from a few more survival circumstances.
    Aren't survival games most about, you know, survival?

Wasn't UO not about that at all?

If anything I'd think the precursor to survival games was Nethack (and MUDs/UO generally weren't very similar to Nethack.)
    I think a survival game is simply about forming a life and staying alive. They typically have no paths or goals other than that. Sure, you wouldn't get malaria or starve to death in UO, but it was certainly about surviving.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    flguy147 said:
    iixviiiix said:

No...

Survival games are brand new genre. Most of them , actually all of them are in early access. This is why many of them didnt quite figured "endgame" yet.

Also since its not a static world like in MMO, every new game is completely new experience.
    So some servers decide to reset every few months, reshuffle the power balance. Because some groups get so powerful they are not challenged by anything anymore.

If by "brand new" you mean 2002-2004 ish, then I might agree. The first "survival game" I recall playing that had all the tropes we've come to associate with the modern genre was actually a Warcraft 3 custom map by the name of "Ice Troll Tribes".

Even the original Fallout had elements of a survival game (managing your character's drug addiction) if not enough to be slapped with that label.

There are probably earlier examples, as well.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2016
    flguy147 said:
    iixviiiix said:

No, but survival games are called walking simulator for a reason. They cannot "end" because they dont "begin" in the first place, you basically have to make your own game out of it, by yourself or with other people. Unless its a single player story driven survival game like Dying Light, then survival mmos dont end.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Survial games have no story usually.  You are just dumped into some random spot in the world and you have to find your place through experimentation.  That is fairly similar in concept to early MMOs.  It is what I like to term as encouraging players to be creative.

Themepark MMOs are a linear experience for the most part.  The developers direct you along a very specific path in which you can't deviate from to much.  You are also told exactly how to do everything via tutorials.  A lot of RPGs are like this now.  There are some linear old RPGs, but they didn't have the tutorials explaining everything.
  • Neoblack78Neoblack78 Member CommonPosts: 1
    iixviiiix said: lol