Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.COM News: T-Shirt Contest Extended - Bigger Prize!

AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

After looking over the entries that we received for our recent t-shirt design contest we have decided to extend the end date and increase the prize by adding $300 cash in addition to the $250 J!NX certificate!

Many of our entries were not of high enough quality or failed to follow the entry rules...so we have no choice but to try and get more talented, creative artists to enter the contest.  We did get a couple entries which will be finalists - but not enough to make a very exciting contest.

The new entry deadline is April 1, 2006.  If you wish to enter the contest you can view the rules and entry instructions here.

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW THE RULES EXACTLY!

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Comments

• RufiusRufius Member Posts: 2,031

Is it possible to submit images via GIMP? Doubt it..

edit: Incase you didn't understand I meant images made in GIMP.

Professor Hubert Farnsworth - That question is less stupid but, you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

• ZhanghiaZhanghia Member UncommonPosts: 1,312

Hmm.. I wonder why they're not getting any entries.. could it be *gasp* that MMORPG.com is trying to scam us of money by the 'no royalties' deal?

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Originally posted by Zhanghia

Hmm.. I wonder why they're not getting any entries.. could it be *gasp* that MMORPG.com is trying to scam us of money by the 'no royalties' deal?

I don't think it is very standard to get royalties for a t-shirt design after being awarded a prize.  We scouted many other t-shirt design contests on the net before we drafted ours...no one offered royalties.  They all clearly stated that the submitted artwork would become property of the contest sponsor. 

I assure you no here one gets rich off the t-shirts image  Our goal is just to spread the word about MMORPG.com not profit from shrit sales (trust me there is little to be made through an affiliate t-shirt system).

As for the GIMP - if it can be converted into a PSD or AI file easily than that is ok.  We need J!INX to be able to print the shirts and the requirements are coming directly from their requirements.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• ZhanghiaZhanghia Member UncommonPosts: 1,312

I think I see, but you want people to have great designs but with no compensation other than a $200 (or so) gift certficate. Even if they don't receive royalties and don't own it anymore, you should at least give them credit for their design when you buy it (eg soandso has made this awesome design of the soandso etc) and that just kinda seems unfair that you'd take everything, offering a minor reward, ad reaping everything for yourself. This is no small site either, even if it were a 5% of the total population of mmorpg.com that bought a t-shirt, that'd still be a large number. Of course you own it and solely you but I feel that we ultimately gyped.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Sorry Admin, I have to agree with Zhanghia on this one. I previously made a TOPIC about this. I can't go through with this contest. It's hard to find someone who takes pride in their great work just to give it away for a small prize and no credit. I don't think any good artist would go though that.

EDIT: Not only that from the terms, it seems that even the losers get their art taken away as well. (I could be wrong though)

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• mindfeedermindfeeder Member Posts: 1

I have a question about the artwork.

Can we get a .psd or .AI file of the MMORPG.COM logo we can use? I mean, designing without it means u'd have to create a new logo... Just doesn't seem right :/

• LethargyLethargy Member Posts: 1

I know this is my first post, but I just wanted to get behind the Admin on this one. Artists do not often or ever that I've heard of, get royalities for designing a t-shirt for a company. Most artists work on a contract scale which offers them a certain amount of money to complete a certain project.

To expect a website like MMORPG.com to pay a comission to the winner of a CONTEST, not even an employee, is just silly. All you are doing by "holding out" on this contest is taking away your own opportunity to win and make a little bit of extra cash.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Originally posted by Lethargy

I know this is my first post, but I just wanted to get behind the Admin on this one. Artists do not often or ever that I've heard of, get royalities for designing a t-shirt for a company. Most artists work on a contract scale which offers them a certain amount of money to complete a certain project.
    To expect a website like MMORPG.com to pay a comission to the winner of a CONTEST, not even an employee, is just silly. All you are doing by "holding out" on this contest is taking away your own opportunity to win and make a little bit of extra cash.

He is right...

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos