Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daybreak Reveals More About Splitting the Game in Two

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    MMORPG: Does this mean H1Z1: Survive will become the "MMORPG" survival game it was originally intended to be, with loads of people per server, progression, and all of that?

TY: Just Survive development will be focused on creating an open-world survival game, which includes scavenging, crafting and base building. Early Access means we get to develop the game with community guidance, and we really want to work with them to deliver the features and experience they want to have.

Nice non-answer. By this answer sounds like it wont be multiplayer.
    I have to agree, they sounded like a politician with this answer.  That's not a good thing.

People originally bought in with the idea it would be an MMORPG due to Daybreak/SOE advertising it as such.  It's now not even in the same genre.  That seems like a bait and switch.

• DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    MMORPG: Does this mean H1Z1: Survive will become the "MMORPG" survival game it was originally intended to be, with loads of people per server, progression, and all of that?

TY: Just Survive development will be focused on creating an open-world survival game, which includes scavenging, crafting and base building. Early Access means we get to develop the game with community guidance, and we really want to work with them to deliver the features and experience they want to have.

Nice non-answer. By this answer sounds like it wont be multiplayer.
    I have to agree, they sounded like a politician with this answer.  That's not a good thing.

People originally bought in with the idea it would be an MMORPG due to Daybreak/SOE advertising it as such.  It's now not even in the same genre.  That seems like a bait and switch.
    Reads to me that we can expect more of the same, the same way they ran the first year of development... they said the same things then and that it had a full dev team.
  • SoarlozerSoarlozer Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Phry said:
    ltank said:

Avanah said:

Nice!! PvE'ers rejoice! :)

PvP'ers....No one cares!

About time.:)

Show us on the doll where the PvPer touched you.
    Its just a numbers thing, PvE'rs outnumber PvP'rs by about 4 to 1, the game wasn't working so well as PvP, though i am not sure its entirely due to the game becoming a kind of battle royale sim that caused it to fail, but making a PvE version might possibly generate some interest in the game again, but yeah, PvP'rs are a bit of a minority group, though whether they will be satisfied with an arena game is questionable, chances are they will migrate to the PvE game too.
    Yea you're pretty much a delusional themepark mmoer. The entire survival genre is built on pvp. You think people go around trying to only fight zombies/ai in dayz and other games? The entire point of it is player interaction and either randomly getting killed or teaming up. I would never play a "mmo" version of it but it is clear you have no idea what this game is nor what you are even talking about.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

Nilden said:

So basically they are so incompetent that they had no idea how many games the project they were working on was equivalent to. Plus they want more money so instead of finishing the project they break it up to try and charge more.

Sorry all I seem to be getting from this is how incompetent and greedy the company is.

I really don't think this had much to do with incompetence. This is just pure greed and skimping.

Instead of putting in the effort and resources to build the one big game they envisioned, they are scrapping it to make two cheaper, smaller games that when combined will be probably half of what that one big game would have totalled to fix/finish.

It essentially just went from one big MMO project to a couple arena/lobby/single-player style games from the sounds of it.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    I don't think people understand the situation. H1Z1 was never one big game, it has always been two games. Battle Royal is seperate to the Survival game, so this changes nothing.  If anything this will help the PvE aspect of the Survival portion to differentiate if from the Battle Royal which is strictly PvP.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    This reminds me of when Netflix split their subscriptions from getting a dvd in the mail and streaming for one low monthly price, now you have to pay that monthly price twice if you want both.
  • WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Daybreak is stupid. Granted, it might be the people who bought them out, but they are all idiots.

Split the game? Sure.

Charge $20 each for early access... ok.

To not have the game being free to play after early access is over? Betrayal.

PC Gamer made an article, on it here http://www.pcgamer.com/h1z1-is-being-split-into-two-games-neither-will-be-free-to-play/

But you can read it in the official FAQ here https://www.h1z1.com/news/just-survive-king-of-the-kill-game-split-february-2016

I came to terms with the game being free, because of the microtransactions. But now they are not only charging for one game, but in fact charging for a different version of the game, that has the same UI, engine, combat, etc.

The game isn't even done. Who do they think they are? Blizzard?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Being that i know the game VERY well and the type of gamer's that are playing,on paper this choice SORT of makes sense.

However not entirely and here is why...

If they intended it to be a survival game then why did they add in this pvp idea basically deathmatch mode?Not only does it having nothing to do with the game but it doesn't even use the core concept of Zombies lmao.

So they already had this design from day 1 so why all of a sudden the need to switch it up?I mean there are still going to be doing the exact same things in the exact same map so although sounds good on paper makes no sense.

Early access NEEDS to have a finish line,well laid out design plans that they could/should come forth with to the release stage.Instead the EARLY access gimmick alllows a developer to constantly charge money while never having a good product.Lucky for them millions bought their game to play one map Battle Royale,VERY lucky they made a tidy sum on this half assed effort....ONE map sigh.

Seriously anyone that knows game design/mapping knows it doesn't take a year to make another map and that is with 2-3 people,let alone a team,you can make a really nice LARGE map in 2-3 months.So there has been no such TEAM working on this just like there won't be any TWO team either,that is a smokescreen steering away from the real reasons.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    It's currently on Steams BestSeller list. Right now.

Again.

That should maybe wake up the folks in this thread that think the PVE zombie crowd is bigger than the PVP Battle Royale crowd.

Many players are still flocking to it , and if I was in charge of DBG I'd continue to milk it for what its worth myself too.
  • bludgrifterbludgrifter Member UncommonPosts: 10
    cool, hope its a good strategic move that makes them a lot of money so they can make more games. I'm still hoping whatever EQN is, its mostly quiet because that type of game has so much complexity to code, talking about it now is silly because you'd have to continue it for so much longer without any actual game, whereas pushing out smaller updates to EQ and EQ2, and more-simplistic games like H1 is much easier to code to keep things fresh and revenue coming.
    Knock, knock, Neo.
  • Rastan1Rastan1 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    That moment after you drop a turd off an overpass and after watching it floating towards certain doom you see the messy greasy splat it makes on the asphalt. That is this moment for this game.
  • MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307

Dakeru said:

Elsabolts said:

This might not be a good idea after all Daybreak.

-They bought SOE
    -They fired pretty much everyone but Smed

To me it looks like this idea fits right in with their previous great ideas.

To my knowledge smed no longer works there.
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

Dahkoht said:

Phry said:

ltank said:

Avanah said:

PvP'ers....No one cares!

Its just a numbers thing, PvE'rs outnumber PvP'rs by about 4 to 1, the game wasn't working so well as PvP, though i am not sure its entirely due to the game becoming a kind of battle royale sim that caused it to fail, but making a PvE version might possibly generate some interest in the game again, but yeah, PvP'rs are a bit of a minority group, though whether they will be satisfied with an arena game is questionable, chances are they will migrate to the PvE game too.

LoL , CSGO , and all the other top played games would like a word with you.

Lol. I think the nature of PVE Themeparks; casual style, never die, make your character the center of the plotline/universe, has led to a "The World revolves around my opinion" complex amongst a lot of PVE'ers.

Or I dunno, Nature vs. Nurture and all that. Maybe Themeparks just attract the "My opinion reflects the opinion of the masses" crowd.
    Soarlozer said:
    Phry said:
    ltank said:

Avanah said:

PvP'ers....No one cares!

Yea you're pretty much a delusional themepark mmoer. The entire survival genre is built on pvp. You think people go around trying to only fight zombies/ai in dayz and other games? The entire point of it is player interaction and either randomly getting killed or teaming up. I would never play a "mmo" version of it but it is clear you have no idea what this game is nor what you are even talking about.
     ARK's PVE servers outnumber PVP servers by a very large margin on both XBOX One and PC. Care to argue more? (I'm a PVPer, but I'm not stupid)
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    so basically this games been on EA for over a year and the company behind it still has no idea what to do with it. so much so infact, that they split the game into 2. to try and see which one is more popular. so they can then make a game mocking that design. SOE,,,,excuse me, Daybreak Studios, has no idea how to run a company.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Golelorn said:

Why so much attention on a game that isn't all that hyped? A zombie survival game? Surely, there is barely any demand for such a game. Choosing this over EQ:Next seems unwise.

EQNext will never hit the LIVE status.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• SoarlozerSoarlozer Member UncommonPosts: 61
    ARK's PVE servers outnumber PVP servers by a very large margin on both XBOX One and PC. Care to argue more? (I'm a PVPer, but I'm not stupid)
    Pvpers dont like dinosaurs?

I don't argue with cherry picked stats, when I say a genre I mean collectively from all the games in that genre.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Kilrain said:
    I think Ark and H1Z1 have major differences PvE wise. Elements of ARKs PvE are much more interesting and fun to do. H1Z1s PvE is, at this point, extremely boring. The zombies aren't that dangerous and avoiding them is pretty easy, only time things get hairy is when another player enters the mix, remove the player and the game is just building stuff, there's not much to do in the sense of PvE in H1Z1 tbh.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited February 2016
    Ark has PvE servers ? Really wow thanks that game was interesting but I avoided it because it was PvP. Going to check it out. Is it first person ?
    Chamber of Chains
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    After reading about decisions like this, is there anyone who even remotely thinks there will ever be an EQN?
  • wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131
    edited February 2016
    mmmm sorry but from the other posts I've seen on this topic from Daybreak, Survive is not going to be just PvE, so it will be PvE and PvP as it is now. And King of the Kill will be purely PvP, obviously.

PvP is not being removed from the Survive version.
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    I see what they're trying to do. It's basically what they did with Ultima Online back in the day. Here's the problem with a hardcore PvP Open World: By its nature, the bottom 10% of the playerbase cannot have fun. In almost every scenario, when you meet another player that wants to kill you, he's 90% likely to succeed because he's better than you. Very few people stick with a game for a few weeks when they're not having fun, so they quit.

And then, the community has a new bottom 10% that goes through the same thing.

That said though, I cannot imagine a zombie horror MMO that basically removes the human element as a risk. The entire theme of that genre is, quite often, it's not the zombies you have to be afraid of - it's other people.

For what it's worth: I've never been interested in a full PvP MMO since Ultima Online. The concept was great in my teens - now, this old bear is too cuddly for such cutthroatness. This version of H1Z1 has my attention, though. If the PVE servers get rave reviews, I'll be inspired to check it out.
  • khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

Golelorn said:

Why so much attention on a game that isn't all that hyped? A zombie survival game? Surely, there is barely any demand for such a game. Choosing this over EQ:Next seems unwise.

H1Z1 is one of the most played games every day on steam and also in the top sales since it got on there til today.

You can see its top 20 in played games -- http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

You can see its on the top 10 sellers list still today -- http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=topsellers&os=win

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    khameleon said:

Golelorn said:

H1Z1 is one of the most played games every day on steam and also in the top sales since it got on there til today.

You can see its top 20 in played games -- http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

You can see its on the top 10 sellers list still today -- http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=topsellers&os=win
    I've always thought the biggest failure of the zombie genre was not making the npc zombies so fiercely dangerous humans would have to support each other , or fail to survive the onslaught.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Hahahahaha! I know it fluctuates, but I LOVE the fact that Unturned has more players than H1Z1 right now!
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Soarlozer said:
    Pvpers dont like dinosaurs?

I don't argue with cherry picked stats, when I say a genre I mean collectively from all the games in that genre.
    Show me the stats... but remember it has to be a game that caters to both before it can be considered. If it doesn't have PVE servers/safe areas, then it can't be considered in this discussion. Herase said:
    Kilrain said:
    I think Ark and H1Z1 have major differences PvE wise. Elements of ARKs PvE are much more interesting and fun to do. H1Z1s PvE is, at this point, extremely boring. The zombies aren't that dangerous and avoiding them is pretty easy, only time things get hairy is when another player enters the mix, remove the player and the game is just building stuff, there's not much to do in the sense of PvE in H1Z1 tbh.
    Well think about it. They know that PVErs outnumber pvpers. They're not getting the pver population they want. What do you think they need to do? Perhaps split the team and make PVE more enjoyable? Silly idea.