Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daybreak Reveals More About Splitting the Game in Two

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageDaybreak Reveals More About Splitting the Game in Two

Daybreak Game Company caught much of the H1Z1 community off guard with yesterday's announcement that the game would be splitting into two different versions, H1Z1: Just Survive and H1Z1: King of the Kill. We had the chance to submit a few questions to the team to get more of the particulars behind the decision and about what players can expect.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Nice!! PvE'ers rejoice! :)
    PvP'ers....No one cares!

About time.:)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Why so much attention on a game that isn't all that hyped? A zombie survival game? Surely, there is barely any demand for such a game. Choosing this over EQ:Next seems unwise.
  • thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    MMORPG: Does this mean H1Z1: Survive will become the "MMORPG" survival game it was originally intended to be, with loads of people per server, progression, and all of that?

TY: Just Survive development will be focused on creating an open-world survival game, which includes scavenging, crafting and base building. Early Access means we get to develop the game with community guidance, and we really want to work with them to deliver the features and experience they want to have.

Nice non-answer. By this answer sounds like it wont be multiplayer.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    edited February 2016
    Question: When you split a game that's 25% complete into 2 pieces, what are you left with?

Answer: Not much.

Joined - July 2004

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    MMORPG: Does this mean H1Z1: Survive will become the "MMORPG" survival game it was originally intended to be, with loads of people per server, progression, and all of that?

TY: Just Survive development will be focused on creating an open-world survival game, which includes scavenging, crafting and base building. Early Access means we get to develop the game with community guidance, and we really want to work with them to deliver the features and experience they want to have.

Nice non-answer. By this answer sounds like it wont be multiplayer.

These are probably all good things, but its really just a way to kind of reinvent the game, get more people interested ( again )and generate new revenue from the new game experience.  In other words they need money now.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Golelorn said:
    Why so much attention on a game that isn't all that hyped? A zombie survival game? Surely, there is barely any demand for such a game. Choosing this over EQ:Next seems unwise.
    You want H1Z1 to be a huge hit then.

We have no idea how much revenue H1Z1 is generating but we can say with 100% confidence that it is making more money than EQN. And without money there will be no e.g. EQN.
  • VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Nice!
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    So a supposedly F2P game turns into two B2P games? Yeah that's probably going to work well...

Sounds like DBG wants to cash out on H1Z1 quickly so they can keep developing it at all (not to mention their other projects).
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    So basically they are so incompetent that they had no idea how many games the project they were working on was equivalent to. Plus they want more money so instead of finishing the project they break it up to try and charge more.

Sorry all I seem to be getting from this is how incompetent and greedy the company is.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• DEXA88DEXA88 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    So daybreak bought this game from SOE and then stopped developing it whatsoever except keep adding new kind of clothing so they can squeeze more money out of the players. The only updates they introduced during 2015 Was the hospital military camp+ dam replacment which was just visual . Bases still look like crap and have a lot of glitches and the cheaters are running amok. If now they split a game and demand we pay more money for what it was promissed in the begining they deserve to be sued !
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    This might not be a good idea after all Daybreak.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Elsabolts said:
    This might not be a good idea after all Daybreak.
    -They bought SOE
    -They fired pretty much everyone but Smed

To me it looks like this idea fits right in with their previous great ideas.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

Avanah said:

PvP'ers....No one cares!

Show us on the doll where the PvPer touched you.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    "H1Z1: Just Survive"

Does anyone else see the irony?
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    It always causes a pang in my heart to watch Daybreak and think about SOE. I loved Everquest and also EQ 2  so anything bad that might happen makes me worried. I know it might be odd to cling to such old games but my memories  are very strong with these two titles.

• nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    What about Everquest Next... You know that one game they once did a lot of Hype over and never talk about it any more.
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    nomadie said:
    What about Everquest Next... You know that one game they once did a lot of Hype over and never talk about it any more.
    Will be split into two games.

EverQuest: KingOfTheCastle (KotC)  and EverQuest: Just Next

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • MoparMopar Member UncommonPosts: 26

Golelorn said:

I think they sold 1.1 million copies so far. Might have something to do with it. Maybe.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    So theyre taking a product they hyped and sold to over a million people and making it into two products that look to be not so different from the first iteration... are they going to try to sell the two products as new ones to the same people that already purchased H1Z1 or will the two be free to the original backers?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    ltank said:

Avanah said:

PvP'ers....No one cares!

Its just a numbers thing, PvE'rs outnumber PvP'rs by about 4 to 1, the game wasn't working so well as PvP, though i am not sure its entirely due to the game becoming a kind of battle royale sim that caused it to fail, but making a PvE version might possibly generate some interest in the game again, but yeah, PvP'rs are a bit of a minority group, though whether they will be satisfied with an arena game is questionable, chances are they will migrate to the PvE game too.
  • MoparMopar Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Daar said:
    So theyre taking a product they hyped and sold to over a million people and making it into two products that look to be not so different from the first iteration... are they going to try to sell the two products as new ones to the same people that already purchased H1Z1 or will the two be free to the original backers?

On Wednesday, Feb‌ruary 1‌7, 20‌16, H1Z1 will be branching off into two separate games: H1Z1: Just Survive and H1Z1: King of the Kill. Since you previously purchased an Early Access copy of H1Z1, your account will be upgraded to include both H1Z1: Just Survive and H1Z1: King of the Kill. Your existing keys, crates, and items will be also duplicated and available in both games.

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Boy , some on this thread are desperately out of touch with reality. Asking why they would focus on this and not EQN means you really , really have no idea how much H1Z1 makes them. 

It's sold well over a million on Steam , continues to sell weekly quite well , and this includes zero in game purchases.

Say what you will about Daybreak , someone up there wants to make money , and this is CURRENTLY making them quite a bit of money. With far less effort than EQN is going to take.

Why wouldn't they push and invest in this instead ?
    edited February 2016

Phry said:
    ltank said:

Avanah said:

PvP'ers....No one cares!

Its just a numbers thing, PvE'rs outnumber PvP'rs by about 4 to 1, the game wasn't working so well as PvP, though i am not sure its entirely due to the game becoming a kind of battle royale sim that caused it to fail, but making a PvE version might possibly generate some interest in the game again, but yeah, PvP'rs are a bit of a minority group, though whether they will be satisfied with an arena game is questionable, chances are they will migrate to the PvE game too.

LoL , CSGO , and all the other top played games would like a word with you. Also all those other survival games that are PVP too. Survival games lean towards PVP crowd. And H1Z1 isn't "dying" by any means , simply look at the chart.

The biggest money makers for studios are PVP games , because they are x1000 easier to develop.

http://steamcharts.com/app/295110

• FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188

Dahkoht said:

Phry said:

ltank said:

Avanah said:

PvP'ers....No one cares!

LoL , CSGO , and all the other top played games would like a word with you.

Lol. I think the nature of PVE Themeparks; casual style, never die, make your character the center of the plotline/universe, has led to a "The World revolves around my opinion" complex amongst a lot of PVE'ers.

Or I dunno, Nature vs. Nurture and all that. Maybe Themeparks just attract the "My opinion reflects the opinion of the masses" crowd.
    edited February 2016

Dahkoht said:

Phry said:

ltank said:

Avanah said:

PvP'ers....No one cares!

LoL , CSGO , and all the other top played games would like a word with you.

Lol. I think the nature of PVE Themeparks; casual style, never die, make your character the center of the plotline/universe, has led to a "The World revolves around my opinion" complex amongst a lot of PVE'ers.

Or I dunno, Nature vs. Nurture and all that. Maybe Themeparks just attract the "My opinion reflects the opinion of the masses" crowd.

That's actually not a bad line of reasoning,  bit of a bubble effect I guess. But simply looking at the current directory on twitch  , one glance at the top games show just how popular PVP vs PVE is.

H1Z1 is currently in the top 15 as we speak also. 

I guess I'm just surprised that so many are so out of touch that they don't get that H1Z1 is making DBG far more money than they expected , and as a result they are going all in on it , and I would too if I was them.