Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pricing structure has been changed. Horizons will now be a DLC season pass.

TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
edited February 2016 in Elite: Dangerous
ED pricing structure has been changed, now you will be purchasing Horizons as a season pass DLC.  

"Greetings Commanders,

We wanted to get in touch to let you know about a few changes that we will be making tomorrow and bring you into the conversation with a little bit of early information.

Since the launch of Elite Dangerous Horizons we have had an incredible response from Commanders in the game. The number of amazing videos, screenshots, player events, CG’s and missions have truly taken our breath away. We are so delighted with the way that the community have taken to the game and we’re super excited for the future releases coming to Horizons throughout the season.

The Elite Dangerous community is truly the most incredible group of players we could possibly ask for. We value the thoughts and feedback from our community and we’re always looking at how we can take that feedback on board. This is why we wanted to give you these details ahead of time and be as upfront and clear of the details as possible. We are all a part of the long term development of the game and we’re delighted to be on this voyage together.

Since its launch we have heard some players say they feel confused by Elite Dangerous Horizons and how the purchasing and upgrading of the game works. Thanks to this feedback we are going to changing the way that it appears in the store and on steam.

To reduce confusion, Horizons will be added as a season pass DLC for Elite Dangerous, rather than an individual product. It’s a relatively small change but it means that on steam and on our store there will now be three options

Elite Dangerous
Elite Dangerous: Horizons Season Pass
Elite Dangerous: Deluxe Edition 

The deluxe bundle will include the base game, Horizons season pass DLC and some digital goods.

This will be beneficial in a few ways. First of all it will unite the steam community. This means that we will only have 1 community hub. This is something players have asked for and we’re happy to listen. It also means that the products are clearer for people to understand, reducing confusion, which can only be a good thing!

However, this does mean that Steam Horizons players will have the Horizons portion of their steam game time counter wiped as it moves back to 1 hub (the in-game counter will still work). Nothing will be effected in game but we wanted players to understand the changes and impact fully.

In addition to these there are a couple of other changes we will be making at the same time. The base price of the Horizons season pass DLC will be £25 (or equivalent in other currencies) and will not include access to Elite Dangerous, this must be purchased separately. It will still include the entire season of content coming in Horizons. This means that the current loyalty discount to Elite Dangerous: Horizons will no longer exist as all existing players will be able to upgrade directly to the Horizons season pass.

Finally, by way of a special thank you to everyone who has already bought Horizons before these changes are made, we are giving you an unreleased Asp Explorer gold paint job. And don’t forget, you still have access to the Cobra Mk IV, and this will apply to all players that buy before the changes go live tomorrow – new players that get the new deal will not get it.

Here’s a look at the wonderful golden Asp which will be coming to all existing Horizons players, and those that buy before tomorrow.

https://forums-cdn.frontier.co.uk/images/misc/gold-asp.png 

Once again, I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you all for your incredible continued support and for joining us on this incredible journey. We’d love to get your thoughts and feedback as always so please do let us know below and we will be on hand to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks"

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Very good. I knew I should have waited.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    As long as the base game works without the season pass thats fine.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I'm so happy I waited... The old price was €40 for me (25% discount) and now with the sale I'll only pay €27 - A much better deal I'd say :D
  • TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Reizla said:
    I'm so happy I waited... The old price was €40 for me (25% discount) and now with the sale I'll only pay €27 - A much better deal I'd say :D
    On that note, Horizons season pass is on sale for one week.  
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    I don't agree with the prevailing opinion that E:D should be bought for the lowest price possible.

Frontier are making a childhood dream of mine come true. For that I'm buying paint jobs I don't even need to contribute towards Frontier.

Money is needed to ensure E:D's continued development to a high standard.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I don't agree with the prevailing opinion that E:D should be bought for the lowest price possible.

Frontier are making a childhood dream of mine come true. For that I'm buying paint jobs I don't even need to contribute towards Frontier.

I'm not a big fan of this game but I'm happy it works for you.  I might even buy Horizons to help support it for you mate. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    So I take it every DLC will become a season pass.  Interesting.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

I enjoy doing the same. Sure, Frontier have made a few mistakes with the publishing side of things but that's perfectly acceptable seeing it's their first go at it. No one jumps into this side of the business and gets it right first time, every time.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

If its one things I've noticed about gamers these days, they play the price game with games, like my mom used to do with coupons, she would wait to buy things until there was a sale or a discount coupon showed up.

For me gaming is a dirt cheap hobby, if a game is good I buy it, if its not good I don't buy it, but I still might buy it if I'm bored or curious.  There is no hand wringing involved or waiting for a sale price or buddy code..  But I understand not everyone is in my position.