Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So why is this game dead exactly?

4Renziks4Renziks Member UncommonPosts: 390
Just pick this one up.. got a spellslinger to 10 then medic to 13.  With all the shit mmos out there and terrible f2p models theres no reason this game should be a ghost town.  The biggest flaw of the game right now is low level population. To me its a more indepth version of WoW or WoW 2.0.  Does the game start good and become superman 64 after lvl 20 or something ? what am I missing?

playing: Dragon Age
Waiting: for FF14, Mass Effect
Want to try: Fallen Earth

Comments

• Zen00Zen00 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Mostly because it's another-run. Nothing new, nothing different, same stuff just a different setting. Nothing that attracts anyone away from SWTOR or any other Sci-Fi MMO.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    The carpal tunnel-inducing combat killed the game inside the womb, the rest of the flaws were just a bonus.

• 4Renziks4Renziks Member UncommonPosts: 390
    Thats not a logical answer...because you can reverse it and come to the same conclusion.  SWTOR or any other sci-fi mmo does nothing different than wildstar. It answers nothing, but thanks for the response. 

It doesnt have an established IP makes more sense. 

The carpal tunnel-inducing combat killed the game inside the womb, the rest of the flaws were just a bonus.
    AS opposed to blade and soul? Diablo? or any game you button mash? ARPG are way more carpal tunnel-inducing...again thanks for the response but Iam still missing something.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Company hubris is what caused the initial exodus, and the game never recovered. 
  • CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    edited February 2016
    What you are missing is that SWTOR came before WS.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• Zen00Zen00 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    4Renziks said:
    AS opposed to blade and soul? Diablo? or any game you button mash? ARPG are way more carpal tunnel-inducing...again thanks for the response but Iam still missing something.
    You're not going to get a definitive answer. There are lots of little reasons that just add up for most people to make it a non-starter.

If you're looking for a definitive reason, then you'll just have to make up your own. It's different for everyone.
    now we are getting somewhere! so its not the game so much as it is the creators.  Still lost a little...if god made a good world but was an asshole I much prefer that over a shitty world and a nice god.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Eventually you will understand why that combat is the worst thing in the world of gaming. When the most relevant feature in your game (combat) is bad, dont expect your game to survive.

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    4Renziks, there are a number of reasons and some have been pointed out already.  It is also very grind heavy and becomes very reliant on groups as you progress.  I know some people love that but remember this is the age of solo so a group based game will struggle.

Another thing was it was highly and I mean highly publicized before and when it came out to the point where it really couldn't meet that hype not matter how good it was.

Also just do a search and you will find even more reasons.  It's last hope is it is going on to Steam soon.  I would imagine if it doesn't  make it there then you can expect to see it shut down.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    4Renziks said:
    now we are getting somewhere! so its not the game so much as it is the creators.  Still lost a little...if god made a good world but was an asshole I much prefer that over a shitty world and a nice god.
    They tried to appeal to the hardcore raider crowd thinking they would flock to their game, but even the hardcore raiders got fed up with it. Only when people started bailing did they begin to backpedal on the "hardcore raiders only endgame" mantra. There's too many MMO's to choose from now. Big MMO's can't afford to alienate casual players in today's market, and Carbine learned that the hard way. 
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    It's a bit juvenile and over the top in the Style department for me, and the gaming mechanics don't really bring anything to the table for me to put up with all the "OHHHHHHHHHH YEAAAAAAHH" voiceovers
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    edited February 2016
    The game  started out as this super hardcore raiding game.....

People started leaving in droves then all of a sudden the developers vision changed and they started making stuff easier and easier.......

Then f2p happened, honeymoon period came and people flocked back but now it's basically sitting at the same place it was before f2p...

It's a very Niche game with the combat some love it some hate it........
    ahhh ya iam not a big raider, I prefer small group PvE..I enjoyed wow a bunch until i started raiding, killed the game for me..felt like a job.  So this makes a little more sense as 90% of the hardcore raiders are in WoW.

Ridelynn said:
    It's a bit juvenile and over the top in the Style department for me, and the gaming mechanics don't really bring anything to the table for me to put up with all the "OHHHHHHHHHH YEAAAAAAHH" voiceovers
    Was not a fan either but its said 50x or whatever max level is.  I wouldnt have used it but not enough reason for me to quit a game.  I will prolly fool around with it until max level or until I am forced to raid.

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277
    I love Wildstar, even if I haven't played in a bit. I think the reason I haven't played in a while is the reason many stop playing - the difficulty of this game, especially at max level, is punishing if you have anything less than a stellar internet connection. I enjoyed the hell out of leveling... the game is fun, great aesthetic, good sense of humor, interesting classes and races, amazing housing, varied zones, etc... And in fact, once I got to max level and started out with some adventures or whatever the easier instances are called, I was loving it.

Then me and my buddy were ready to move on to some big boy content, and my god the jump in difficulty is real. This would actually not be bad if you have a full group of only friends, but if you have to PUG anything forget it. As a result of the community being small, the only people left are those who know the mechanics in and out, and they have 0 patience for you as a newbie. If you die to a telegraph even once (for example, if your ping sucks) 9 times out of 10 the tank or healer will leave, the group will chew you out, or you will get kicked for being a "scrub," or whatever other colorful term they want to use.

All MMOs suffer from this to some extent, but the elitism is insane in Wildstar. It's a brutal cycle.... not many people play, so those who do become elitists, new people come in and said elitists scare them away. They will always rage about how you need to watch youtube videos about the dungeon before you try them, but I am telling you once the boss fights start you won't be prepared. It is one of those games where you have to learn by dying a bunch, sort of like old school raiding, but the elitists have been there and done that and have no patience for you.

Finding a guild can help I am sure, but my playtimes just don't line up with any english speaking guilds. It's a shame, because it was the first MMO I'd played in a long time that I really felt connected too.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    4Renziks said:
    and that is your problem, you content yourself with low class things, main reasons I don't play? cartoonish graphics, no complexity for what what I saw, action combat using the same skills, don't matter how many skill a class have everyone will use the same skill set or will get shafted, plus on time of launch we had far better games around with some good player base who was not willing to quit they current game for a new, weak graphics and bad gameplay, the f2p in what? less tehn 6 months just bring even less desire to try the game, plus companys doing crap job to keep they current player base and just try to push for new players is the customary error on company doing games, they work to try new numbers not to retain old players.

there is also the raid thing, raid for me is a pvp invasion you did on enemy base or maps not really follow the script and kill that npc who just have lots of hp
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    edited February 2016
    ^^^ Yeah, this and TSW are both terrible about this you must have so and so build or don't even bother because you will never get anywhere.....

Everytime I log into TSW this is the first thing I see in chat and instantly my stomach starts to churn... I hate games where I feel pigeon holed into certain skills

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    4Renziks said:
    Thats not a logical answer...because you can reverse it and come to the same conclusion.  SWTOR or any other sci-fi mmo does nothing different than wildstar. It answers nothing, but thanks for the response. 

It doesnt have an established IP makes more sense. 
    SW TOR has maybe the biggest IP on the planet atm. In order for WS to compete it needs to be something truly exceptional and never seen before. Obviously it is not.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    The biggest problem the game has is the totally amateurish studio behind it and Carbine's constant and ongoing mismanagement in about every aspect of running a game.

• AngryElfAngryElf Member UncommonPosts: 194
    The crafting was retarded. 
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Wildstar was a "solid" mmo.  It just got extremely overhyped prior to launch.  Players came in expecting a "10" and got a "7".  People also love to hate on anything that's hyped up or successful.

In regards to pvp I think the main issue is with the mentality of MMO pvpers.  I'm not certain there can ever be another successful competitive arena system aside from WoW.  Most MMO players will find anything to deflect blame from themselves and Wildstar Arenas had plenty of issues to jump on.  So the less successful pvpers will just whine about every little thing for a couple of weeks and then quit.  That leaves the people at the top with no competition, sitting in excessively long queues is not fun.  Being forced to arrange games just to get queues sucks. Farming people significantly worse than you after 30 minutes in queue is terrible for both sides.  Eventually all these people quit and you have no pvp population left aside from the more casual crowd.  This is essentially the route every game's pvp community has taken post-WoW: Tera, Wildstar, GW2, SWTOR, BnS in a month or so (you can already feel it now..).  

That said pvpers generally makes up a fraction of MMO populations.  I know there were many complaints about the excessively long raid attunement.  Plenty of guilds struggled to field the numbers to raid consistently.  I don't really remember all the details, I'm sure you can find scores of complaints if you search for them...

I feel like I'm giving Carbine too much of a pass.  Their communication really dropped off post launch, which is to be expected, but it was almost nonexistent.  They took far too long on potentially game saving updates.  Warplots (I believe that is what the 40vs40 battlegrounds were called) ate up a ton of resources and probably saw 3 matches total in the first month of release.  Basically lots of questionable decisions by a relatively inexperienced staff.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    @Jonnyp2 ; you write from a PvP perspective. However, WS is mainly a PvE mmo and it launched as such. It is the PvE aspect which failed and drove people away. 
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    edited February 2016
    Shodanas said:
    @Jonnyp2 ; you write from a PvP perspective. However, WS is mainly a PvE mmo and it launched as such. It is the PvE aspect which failed and drove people away. 
    I definitely mentioned that, not that I would read that pointless wall of text I wrote either...