Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscriptions at the Highest Level in Three Years

13»

Comments

• HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 104
    I am one of the new re-subscribers after having played from beta through SWTOR's first year. The KotFE expansion is great fun the game has definitely changed for the better since I left. I am having a lot of fun and plan to keep my subscription indefinitely.
  • AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    swtor has false numbers... im a subscriber but I dont play. the games not even installed.. dony go off subscriptions.. uts about time they announced active regular players as their selling factor
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited February 2016
    Adamai said:
    swtor has false numbers... im a subscriber but I dont play. the games not even installed.. dony go off subscriptions.. uts about time they announced active regular players as their selling factor
    If you're not playing then how do you presume to know ? There are players everywhere. A few minutes ago there where 200+ people on Tython and 300+ on the Republic fleet (Red Eclipse EU).
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They should have difficulty settings like STO has.  On the highest the game would be harder but yield higher rewards.  I actually like the way it is now as I don't go after the highest gear in the game or try to max everything then complain how face roll the game is.  I don't really see the point in replaying the story more then twice as it's the exact same story for every class they should return to individual class stories.  

A lot more people are probably playing now because of the movies and new story that just came out so it will be interesting to see how many stay around.  I'll probably drop my sub and wait till the final chapter to pick it up again and play through the entire story-line. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2016
    scorpex-x said:
    gervaise1 said:
    scorpex-x said:
    SWTOR has been a powerhouse of money making for many years, last 2 years it was in the top 5 subscription MMO titles along with wow and Tera (yes f2p games with optional subs are still counted).
    Doubtful. EA said c. 15 months ago that it's f2p revenue would have been $60M higher if it had not been for declines in (primarily) Sim City Online and SWTOR. So SWTOR activity clearly fell away - and post launch and with no films etc. to drive it that was no more of a surprise than this news.
    In 2014 SWTOR made 163 million dollars.  There are only a handful of titles that make that kind of money, Tera and WoW are the others and I think the last few are all ancient titles line L1.

If profits were down in 2015 it's because they were sky high in the previous year, they went way up again with the new expansion and film now though obviously.

SWTOR is a massive MMO in terms of profits, whether you like the most profitable games or not is irrelevant to the facts of it.  I hate clash of clans, it still made over 1 billion dollars last year.

You are quoting (from memory) a Superdata "estimate". There have been few formal EA numbers; the last was the end 2014 statement I referred to contained in a SEC filing clearly indicating that it did less well in 2014 than in 2013. 

So on the one hand we have EA saying SWTOR f2p revenue declined by "some chunk of $60M" less in 2014 - obviously a big enough chunk to be worth mentioning to investors.

And on the other hand we have Superdata estimating SWTOR revenue grew from $139M in 2013 to $164M in 2014. So unless subs got a really big boost .... which EA didn't mention ....

Not saying "not profitable" just suggesting dialing back on terms like "powerhouse".
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Leon1e said:
    Shodanas said:
    I am a day 1 subscriber, the game has come a long way after switching to the hybrid model.

However, i believe that it is a good stretch away from reaching it's true potential. A number of bigger or smaller issues and nuisances are present many of them since launch. And Bioware's approach to some aspects doesn't make things easier. Like the companion God mode to mega nerf fiasco.

Still, imho it is one of the best theme park mmo's on the market and the future looks bright.
    As someone who plays SWTOR on and off since launch, can you please elaborate on the companion mega nerf? From my perspective companions are rather nice. Every comp can heal so you can play around solo. Encounters are easy enough and the companion manages to outheal a lot of the incoming damage. I even switch them to dps sometimes. Sure I play a guardian and am a bit more tanky than other classes but I don't usually play in Soresu. Also my Juggernaut is spec in Vengeance and i still get healed properly :O 
    When KotFE launched companions in healing or dps roles where God'like. Our heroes became their sidekicks. You could enter a heroic area pull everything and your healer companion would spam heal you for ridiculous amounts never letting you drop bellow 75% HP. Same story with dps, such a companion would kill everything for you in a heroic mission. My 3 foot tall droid steamrolled the final battle in the jedi guardians story in seconds. So much for me being the hero...

A number of players complained about this. So, Bioware grabbed a nerfbat the size of a star destroyer and smashed the companions heads. This lead to an outcry on the forums with both pro and anti nerf advocates going at each others throats in a way i've never seen before. You see, due to the huge IP and the solo focused KotFE expansion many players joined, players who liked the ultra-relaxed, faceroll gameplay provided by invincible companions. A number of said players threatened to leave.

So, Bioware did what they should have done from the beginning. They looked at the metrics, did some testing and found the middle ground. For the majority of players at least. I sill believe that companions are a bit OP.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    As I said earlier subscribers are a sub-set of players. Subscribers could go up at the same time that non-subscribers e.g. leave in droves to go and play SW BF. If you wanted to portray a vibrant game what would you say: "players have left in droves" or "subscribers are up". One snippet of info does not the whole story tell - whether good or bad.