Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a recommendation. Used to play EQ2

bongloadsbongloads Member UncommonPosts: 381
I'm looking to get back into an MMORPG, full-fledged.  I was big into EQ2 for years, on the Nagafen server (pvp).  

I enjoyed farming bosses for certain rare items (solo, group, raid), completing long questlines for a great item... basically I liked doing anything to get the best possible piece of gear for each slot, each circumstance, anyway possible.  I liked soloing, duoing stuff that usually took a full group to do.  I enjoyed going back through the game to farm earlier mobs that dropped hard to find items.  I enjoyed setting up my auction house.

What are new games out there I should try like this?
Should I jump back into EQ2? Seems like it would be a bit outdated and maybe changed too much from what I remember.

If anyone was a nagafen player, my main characters were Bowl/Dishes (name got nerfed), and Tail.

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Well could jump into the EQ2 TLE server ... or try Project Gorgon
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Check out ArcheAge if you want to stay in the genre.

Fallen Earth if you want to explore out of the genre

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    I did play a lot of EQ2 in the past too. After it I had a lot of fun playing Lord of the rings online. My recomendation is to give it a try even if it may look a little outdated it has a enormous amount of pve.

• bongloadsbongloads Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Scorchien said:
    Well could jump into the EQ2 TLE server ... or try Project Gorgon

Just read up on TLE servers, sounds like a great idea! Thanks for the info

SEANMCAD said:
    Check out ArcheAge if you want to stay in the genre.

Fallen Earth if you want to explore out of the genre
    alakram said:
    I did play a lot of EQ2 in the past too. After it I had a lot of fun playing Lord of the rings online. My recomendation is to give it a try even if it may look a little outdated it has a enormous amount of pve.
    Thanks for suggestions, I'll look at those
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    edited December 2015
    If your going for PvP I would suggest NOT EQ2 TLE. Things are broken and you'll get frustrated.  If you want the best PvE there is with solo and group content do a regular server BUT to get the best end game you need the new expansion.

I have played this game for almost 11 years. I took a 8 month break and the new expansion is worth the investment. :)

my two cooper.

edit. Hey before you do anything with PvP I suggest your visit this thread.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/deathtoll-is-an-embarrassment.566546/
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • kiritonkiriton Member UncommonPosts: 2
    @bongloads EQ2 was great and all, and a great game to try now would be the upcoming star citezen, I know its out of the genre but It is Super fun and very intriguing 
  • jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    I second the Archeage suggestion but with a warning because they built that game SPECIFICALLY to bleed people like you out of every red cent and moment of time that they have :)

It's fun though, and right up your alley until something better comes out.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    edited January 2016
    Trust me. Join in on the Albion Online beta. This game is going to be a sleeper hit of 2016. 

[mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• weaslelipsweaslelips Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Try Dark Age of Camelot..best pvp.  perm pvp rewards . not a grindfest. requires a subscription(some dont want to pay). But there good crafting set up. Nice guild setups too.  Can play solo..small group 8 man group.or even huge 64+ battlegroups. nice thing is you can turn your xp off at anytime to stay in a particular battle ground of any level. Epic raids,3 dif realms. each has dungeons and open world pve.
      I have played many games..always come back to daoc after i check out the new trash lol.
  • SimsejensenSimsejensen Member UncommonPosts: 51
    edited January 2016
    ZigZags said:
    Trust me. Join in on the Albion Online beta. This game is going to be a sleeper hit of 2016. 

[mod edit]
    Forget Albion Online. Its a disaster, so disappointed with that game. Cant believe i paid 100 bucks for the biggest pack there was. Waste of money.
    Post edited by Amana on
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Yeah, go back to TLE they just openend KOS... You will have a blast, I did......... Probably go back if I can get my friends to leave Wow again...
    Any other suggestions guys?
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Black Desert online, b2p @ $30 bucks.  CB2 starts Feb18 and Launch is March 3rd. 

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• RnjypsyRnjypsy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Black Desert Online will be launching soon so that  is one to keep an eye on.  I've recently gone back to The Elder Scrolls Online and am enjoying it a great deal.  Great story and quests if you can get past it not being Elder Scrolls rpg....i.e. Skyrim.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I stuck with EQ2 a long time,mostly because of friends not because of the game.I had hoped over time it would improve,i always have those hopes for my games.Devs don't want to improve their games,they just want to sell you more maps and more quests and a few more Bosses.

Personally the Boss runs get really boring,i can handle them once maybe twice but not several times and EQ2 was really bad at dropping tons of meaningless legendary loot.

Somebody in this genre needs to get away from BEST loot and create VARIATIONS in game play,so nothing is the best,you have to change  your style and thinking depending on what you are fighting.Nobody ever cares about tier 2 or 3 they only want the very best loot,it turns it into trivial game play.
    Obviously if you want to do the same old same old,you don't need to ask on a forum,there are literally thousands of games doing the exact same thing.

Runes of Magic changes it up a bit offering more into the gear and stat ideas but it is a huge cash shop sink,so yeah we get some variations and they are ruined by cash shops.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Rnjypsy said:
    Black Desert Online will be launching soon so that  is one to keep an eye on.  I've recently gone back to The Elder Scrolls Online and am enjoying it a great deal.  Great story and quests if you can get past it not being Elder Scrolls rpg....i.e. Skyrim.
    Black Desert online, b2p @ $30 bucks.  CB2 starts Feb18 and Launch is March 3rd. 
     Just signed up, will keep an eye on it for sure
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    5 Years in EQ2 myself, but I quit a while before it went F2P. Myself I play GW2 at the moment (and have since launch) but it is rather different (but it is free now besides the expansion so feel free to try it out).

The closest game in development right now is probably Pantheon, at least closest to EQ2 in the first few years even though it might be closer to EQ from what I heard.

Vanguard is sadly down, would have worked fine otherwise. A few games with the same basic game do exist, Rift might be worth testing and while the combat is pretty different AoC might also be worth considering (it is low fantasy without elves and so on though).

I can't recommend going back to EQ2 anymore, the game havn't really aged with dignity (I myself think the game was as best just after EoF came out) but taste differ. Plenty of other games to try though, might take you a few before you find something that works right for you but don't give up. :)
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    I reccomend Elder Scrolls Online. Best MMO out there currently in my opinion.  Tons of solo and group content. Massive world, great PvE and PvP. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    FFXIV:ARR, TESO, GW2. All very much better games than EQ2 so worth giving a try, really spoiled for choice tbh, so many games, just not enough time to play them all :p
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    alakram said:
    If you dont mind questing your brains out then I'd say LoTRO also.....FOr me though, WoW/EQ2?LoTRO really burned me out on questing....Just too much.