Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm Cautiously Excited About The Division - Robert Lashley

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    heerobya said:
    LOL at this thread. Seriously. LOL at this whole damn site. So full of stupid.

I hope ya'll enjoy the shit out of the Division. I truly do.

That being said, I'll be back here a month after release to remind you of the hype. You guys must be new here?
    I've been around long enough to know 2 things.  1) People that spread hate on a game are usually jealous they can't find the same happiness in their current gaming experience. Most of them aren't even playing anything currently. (not saying you specifically, but just in general) and 2) Despite the doom and gloom spread here, most of the time, games like this -- Triple A titles, even poorly executed do pretty well.

FFXIV had a too big to fail mentality,  it survived.  SWTOR people said would be dead in a year,  most recently its actually gotten MORE players than before and has become profitable.  Destiny - I found bland and boring, but played it for a couple months,  to me that game has nothing on the Division based on my current play time. I thought it would die off as well.. but it survived and became very popular.   I've played Halo, and the skills and classes of Destiny bored me, it seems like they just tacked on a barely there class system.. you really only had your supercharge that really set you apart, and you couldn't even use it consistently.  

Now maybe things have changed, and sure enough the new Halo is much worse off than destiny is,  but I dig The Division.  The cover system was fun in Gears of War and its fun here.  The customization is far and away better than Destiny - even going so far as adding an appearance tab, which destiny needed, not that you could really tell much of a difference anyways.   Theres a crafting system, and a mod system that lets you mod your weapons in awesome ways.  With my first gun drop alone, I was able to add a supressor, and a scope,  an upgraded magazine, and a laser sight.   All of this actually was visible on my weapon and functional.

I know the problems the game has so far, and on release they may all still be there, or they may get worse.. or they may get better.  We'll know in a month.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    The Division is what I will play in between my Black Desert sessions.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Avanah said:
    heerobya said:

That being said, I'll be back here a month after release to remind you of the hype. You guys must be new here?
    You (6 months) ARE new here. You do NOT know much yourself. No need to flame other people.
    Anyway...Yes, The Division is a pretty good game I must admit after playing it. Not too many draw me in. :)
    That guy is just really pressed about destiny
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited February 2016

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/25/5843358/minecraft-console-sales-54m-copies-sold

This is just for minecraft and is after the link you posted. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/05/01/surprise-gta-5-is-also-a-massive-hit-on-pc/#2574c2c74d2b

Just an idea of .. 2 million sold in a month in comparison to 11 million sold in a day. 

These are shot for shot - not just general sales.  The PC market gets more games, has way more microtransactions and if you're following Star Citizen, people that will throw thousands of dollars away into something they can't even use yet - in that gaming industry.

Yet as I stated before console sales vs PC sales per game,  consoles still generally sell many more copies.  PC games have a different ecosystem as well, and have much more rampant cheating.  Its the equivalent of a Mac and a PC or Android or iPhone conversations.  Who's the real winner?  Android actually dominates the market but Apple made more money.

Everyone gets to do what they want, and unlike SOME people.. I win no matter what I choose.  I can tell you that all those complaining about cheaters for the division on PC wouldn't have been complaining on a console. ;)  I'm having fun.. can't lose when you're having fun. 
    well that is a start.

1. Now my link said 'as a whole' and was written when the number of Steam users was about 40% LESS than it is today
    2. your link is related to two games.
    3. MOST IMPORTANTLY. when talking about PC games vs Console game its EXTREEMLY unfair to compare only games that are on both platforms. GTA 5 is a classic example, GTA 5 lives, breathes and is a legend within the Console Space. WOW however is not. So where are our WoW numbers? EQ2 numbers or just about any game on this website called MMORPG?
    4. The problem still exists. READ CAREFULLY. there are more active PC gamers then there are next generation consoles on the market. This we know factually. so where is the missing titles? well they are games like WoW, like Space Engineers, like EQ2, like Darkfall, and the list goes well into the thousands.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited February 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

well that is a start.

1. Now my link said 'as a whole' and was written when the number of Steam users was about 40% LESS than it is today
    3. MOST IMPORTANTLY. when talking about PC games vs Console game its EXTREEMLY unfair to compare only games that are on both platforms. GTA 5 is a classic example, GTA 5 lives, breathes and is a legend within the Console Space. WOW however is not. So where are our WoW numbers? EQ2 numbers or just about any game on this website called MMORPG?
    4. The problem still exists. READ CAREFULLY. there are more active PC gamers then there are next generation consoles on the market. This we know factually. so where is the missing titles? well they are games like WoW, like Space Engineers, like EQ2, like Darkfall, and the list goes well into the thousands.
    Oh I see we're just playing a ridiculous numbers game..  you don't want to compete in the same arena's such as.. Game - Game comparisons..  (where MMORPGs on console also do better) http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-surprising-success-of-dc-universe-online

It only really counts when you're focusing like to like.   If you don't want to do that.. then Mobile games would thereby be the king of the crop right?  Mobile games eclipsed Console sales back in 2015 and is rising quite a bit faster than the other markets.

So we should all jump ship from PC games to Mobile games too?   I actually like a few mobile games right now, they're not that bad.. and fallout shelter was a lot of fun for a while too.

Thats the thing.. markets will ebb and flow.. consoles will have releases the same day as PC and still beat PC...  PC will have games that consoles will never get.  Mobiles will also get different games other platforms will never see.  You can restrict yourself to as little or as many as you'd like to play, it doesn't change how I play.

SEANMCAD said:

well that is a start.

It only really counts when you're focusing like to like.   If you don't want to do that.. then Mobile games 

that is completely and totally ABSURD!!!!!!!

what is the question here?
    are there more PC games or are there more console games

comparing games that exist only on both platforms is NOT a requirement to proove that statement one way or the other.
    we are not asking 'are console games better than PC games' we are asking who has more.

oh the koolaid you guys drink is poision!

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    Got lots of laughs from the article and replies. The Destiny fanboi was super entertaining.
  • AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Couldn't even get pass the launch menu without crashing back to desktop! so no good experience for from me :-(

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

well that is a start.

It only really counts when you're focusing like to like.   If you don't want to do that.. then Mobile games 

that is completely and totally ABSURD!!!!!!!

what is the question here?
    are there more PC games or are there more console games

comparing games that exist only on both platforms is NOT a requirement to proove that statement one way or the other.
    we are not asking 'are console games better than PC games' we are asking who has more.

oh the koolaid you guys drink is poision!

but mobile games have more than PC games so..... whats your point?  That you don't have one?  How does it pertain to the division?  it doesn't?  You told me to compare MMOs or.. "any on this site" and when I did... and you saw that you once again were proved wrong.. you decided to consider it all absurd.

Its okay, you can win this one... whatever winning means to you.. I'm still going to play the division.. so...  enjoy ..whatever it is... you do.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited February 2016
    I'm cautiously optimistic for The Division as well, but more so because the open world was a serious disappointment; not having other people (outside your party) running around made it feel incredibly dead (edit: and not in any sort of a good way). Add in bullet sponge enemies, linear quests and a questionably small world size and the value of The Division very much rests on the quality of it's content / story (much of which was not included in the beta).

Waiting for post launch reviews.
  • FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188

heerobya said:

Kthxbye
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    heerobya said:
    heerobya said:

Welcome to Ubisoft!
    We like it! We like Destiny too! But our reader-base is largely PC-based (for obvious reasons). When Destiny 2 hits PC, we'll be all over that like white on rice.

I think Division will sit much better with PC gamers who haven't gotten the opportunity to play Destiny, that I can agree with.

I just look at Division and I see Destiny minus everything that makes Destiny fun and engrossing and engaging and has caused me to put 1000+ hours into over the last year and a half.

Also Division reminds me a whole hell of a lot of the multiplayer they put into Mass Effect 3 - seriously it's like the exact same cover/shooter-light RPG game play... but without the fun of sci-fi special abilities.
    Can you name some specifics about Destiny that make it that much better?  Just saying things like that, without offering examples, makes it hard for anyone to really understand your opinion.

Also. There are sci-fi abilities in The Division..  It being a Tom Clancy game, though. They're all going to be much less far-fetched than Mass Effect's.  Considering we were only able to access a very small portion of the available abilities, I'd say you're jumping the gun by declaring it void of fun abilities.

All I'm all, I'm not sure why someone who enjoyed Destiny wouldn't enjoy the Division, unless they specifically like FPSs and aren't fans of cover systems.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Equipment based advancement for the most part is going to doom this game in the long run.

Your zerg groups will go into a zone all decked out and just kill the tadpoles everyday, then tout about how bad assed they are just like in every other game. The losers need to feel important at something in life..XD

And do you drop your equipment on death and start off from scratch? Knowing Ubish*t, probably not. Another way of keeping your gankers on top.

Game developers have no clue.
    Equipment based advancement for the most part is going to doom this game in the long run.

Your zerg groups will go into a zone all decked out and just kill the tadpoles everyday, then tout about how bad assed they are just like in every other game. The losers need to feel important at something in life..XD

And do you drop your equipment on death and start off from scratch? Knowing Ubish*t, probably not. Another way of keeping your gankers on top.

Game developers have no clue.
    The PvP zones are populated by DZ rank, so even if a high level player entered at level 1 to gank lower level players, he would quickly out-level the area and the ganking of those players would end there.

The PvP gear you buy at vendors also has a DZ rank requirement, so you won't find gankers decked out in the highest level PvP gear in the lowbie DZ zones, either.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    edited February 2016
    @Grakulen @BillMurphy

All this talk about the game, but not how the servers load items like bullets and health from the client computer which is why there are a CRAZY amount of people in the game using/abusing this HUGE oversight?

I mean, that's basically what 80% of the articles today were about. But you guys come in here and don't mention a SINGLE thing about it?

Find that hard to believe guys... Maybe I am Mr. Grumpfish or whatever but having that kind of information client side on an Online Game is a HUGE HUGE HUGE no no.

And that doesn't even go into uPlay.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Lets get this thread back on track.... the topic was in game pony races needed badly!!!
    Ikeda said:
    @Grakulen @BillMurphy

All this talk about the game, but not how the servers load items like bullets and health from the client computer which is why there are a CRAZY amount of people in the game using/abusing this HUGE oversight?

I mean, that's basically what 80% of the articles today were about. But you guys come in here and don't mention a SINGLE thing about it?

Find that hard to believe guys... Maybe I am Mr. Grumpfish or whatever but having that kind of information client side on an Online Game is a HUGE HUGE HUGE no no.

And that doesn't even go into uPlay.

Cheating issues aside in this weekend's PC beta, the potential for a great hook is there.
    It's probably not being beaten on because it was a beta for a title initially developed for consoles. If the problem persists at release in March, it's worth mentioning. Otherwise, it's honestly a superfluous point to those who want to read about how the game plays. It'd be like faulting the game for not allowing us to customize our character's face. Yea, it sucks I couldn't do it, but it's not something anyone would reasonably expect to continue through launch.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Basically all player stats are stored client side. Depending on if that changes, I'm skeptical to say the least, this game will be DOA due to cheating.

Steam: Neph

edited February 2016

but mobile games have more than PC games so..... whats your point?  That you don't have one?  How does it pertain to the division?  it doesn't?  You told me to compare MMOs or.. "any on this site" and when I did... and you saw that you once again were proved wrong.. you decided to consider it all absurd.

Its okay, you can win this one... whatever winning means to you.. I'm still going to play the division.. so...  enjoy ..whatever it is... you do.
    the point from miles ago was a side discussion about the size of the PC gaming community in which #DestinyFanboy was trying to say that there are not more PC gamers than console because BECAUSE the sales of dual platform games where in his mind higher for console. He didnt want to count all the thousands of PC games that are not on console (such as DOTA, TF2, WoW etc he just wanted to ignore those games) just becuase he wanted to believe that there were more console gamers out there than PC gamers.

[mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211

heerobya said:

I like how destiny players are so defensive about their game. Destiny is a good multiplayer shooter but if you want to know why some many people hate destiny look no further than how the game was advertised. The game was advertised as an MMORPG with meaningful choices and complete customization. They actually said things like players can take their own completely different paths of character development. They talked about branching story lines from character choices, and customizable abilities. They even showed a video of dozens of people showing up for a boss battle when that exact boss battle in the game capped out at 8 players.

Destiny may be good at what you play it for you may like it but if you wonder why there is so much negativity about the game read this again because its pretty self explanatory why MMORPG gamers dislike the game even if people who came from Halo and Call of Duty love it. That doesn't make a bad game or a good game but you're negativity towards destiny detractors just isn't called for in article not even about destiny.
    SEANMCAD said:

the point from miles ago was a side discussion about the size of the PC gaming community in which #DestinyFanboy was trying to say that there are not more PC gamers than console because BECAUSE the sales of dual platform games where in his mind higher for console. He didnt want to count all the thousands of PC games that are not on console (such as DOTA, TF2, WoW etc he just wanted to ignore those games) just becuase he wanted to believe that there were more console gamers out there than PC gamers.

Its a CLASSIC example of extreem drunkness from drinking too much from the console koolaid.

glad I could help
    But thats mainly because more people have computers than consoles,  it doesn't really contend that they play the same core games, which does sway towards Consoles more.  In that same avenue, more people have mobile phones than they do computers..  and while candycrush and angry birds may not seem like what many of us would consider "games"  its unfair to see only a portion of the total.  Sure there are way more games on PC, and more on Mobile than on consoles.  Mobile games nickle and dime people way more than even PC games do these days.  In comparisons of console to PC with the same games, generally Console games still beat PC in population.  Now, not all of that can be attributed to console ports, as minecraft was first and foremost a PC game for years before it showed on any console.  Now its even a mobile game.

Each platform has its strength.  Console has ease of use.  It may not have the graphics, but when I download a game, it just works, no fiddling with settings or wondering if I can run it.  It runs.  It has voice chat and easy grouping. When core games come out cross platform, they generally have a longer lasting appeal on Console.  PC can do and play almost anything, and has a wider variety of more traditional titles, but it has its pitfalls.  Even with portability of laptops, things can become outdated quickly and other programs can cause performance issues. Sometimes grouping is overly complex on the PC, like ARK.. on xbox the hosted games just work, its much more complicated on PC, even through LAN.   Mobile games have the ultimate portability, but generally lack complexity for core gamers.

Every platform has strengths and weaknesses, and they're all successful in their own way or they wouldn't be around.  If WoW was on a console as well as PC.. you already know their 10M or whatever subscribers could have easily doubled or even tripled.  Thats what happened for console MMOs like DCUO and PSU

edited February 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

Its a CLASSIC example of extreem drunkness from drinking too much from the console koolaid.

glad I could help
    But thats mainly because more people have computers than consoles,  it doesn't really contend that they play the same core games, which does sway towards Consoles more. 
    first off the very word 'core games' is DIRECT MARKETING KOOLAID TALK. Think about what 'core games' means. It means console games not for any reason, not because there are more console players, not because the games are more internationally known as valid but because some marketing guy convinced you to not look at DOTA 2 when looking at numbers

second off there are more people who watch DOTA 2 international championships then watch the friggin superbowl. Trying to factor out games like DOTA and WoW because you dont consider it 'core' (whatever the F that even means) is beyond rude and just balant extremee bias

• WaltandrianWaltandrian Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I had the chance to play this during the BETA, only heard about it from a friend who recommended it to me and when I looked it up I found that it was in the middle of a BETA, so I downloaded it and played it over the weekend.

From my own personal experience The Division is quite good, I really don't have many bad things to say about it, I had no expectation going into it but it still played out very cleanly (Besides falling through the world once xD) and the combat was challenging and enjoyable enough to keep it engaging throughout. The Darkzone was also quite fun, and I can safely say I ate shit on more than one occasion.

I don't really know why people are comparing this to Destiny personally, though my own experience with Destiny was limited the only similarities seem to be the 'MMO-lite' setup they have and a similar loot structure (which is just how MMO loots goes mostly). I can say that I enjoyed this far more than I enjoyed Destiny, but perhaps thats more because I went into Destiny expecting something whereas I had no previous expectations for The Division.

You only have one life. Are you living it the way you should?

• Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    SEANMCAD said:
    first off the very word 'core games' is DIRECT MARKETING KOOLAID TALK. Think about what 'core games' means. It means console games not for any reason, not because there are more console players, not because the games are more internationally known as valid but because some marketing guy convinced you to not look at DOTA 2 when looking at numbers

second off there are more people who watch DOTA 2 international championships then watch the friggin superbowl. Trying to factor out games like DOTA and WoW because you dont consider it 'core' (whatever the F that even means) is beyond rude and just balant extremee bias
    While I mostly agree with you I'm curious where you got those numbers from?  SuperBowl 49 was watched by over 114 million.  I see Valve claiming around 20 million total viewers for TI4... I don't feel like finding TI5's viewership, but I doubt it increased 5x.  
    edited February 2016
    Jonnyp2 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

While I mostly agree with you I'm curious where you got those numbers from?  SuperBowl 49 was watched by over 114 million.  I see Valve claiming around 20 million total viewers for TI4... I don't feel like finding TI5's viewership, but I doubt it increased 5x.  
    I got those numbers from Gabe Newel stating it more than once. In fact he said its been happening multiple years in fact. You up for watching a really long video to see it quoted once?

and dont forget, I am not tallking about concurrent views because that doesnt even matter.